News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 25W decommissioned?

Started by bugo, May 27, 2018, 06:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

All of the US 25W shields in Tennessee and Kentucky have been removed from Google Earth. The other routes it is 'plexed with are still marked, and it is marked as "S Hwy 25" in text. Has US 25W been removed? We all know that the Goog can be notoriously unreliable, but why did they remove the markers?

hotdogPi

Quote from: bugo on May 27, 2018, 06:16:36 AM
All of the US 25W shields in Tennessee and Kentucky have been removed from Google Earth. The other routes it is 'plexed with are still marked, and it is marked as "S Hwy 25" in text. Has US 25W been removed? We all know that the Goog can be notoriously unreliable, but why did they remove the markers?

Google Maps did something similar with I-37 recently.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ccurley100

I drove by it last week.

iPhone

hbelkins

It still exists. Google must be doing weird things.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WashuOtaku

Rule 2) Google Maps makes mistakes, don't have blind faith to it.

fillup420

The same thing happened to all of the US 15 shields. The entirety of US 15 is now shield-less and labeled as "US Hwy 15/501". In most of North Carolina, that is correct, but GM put that designation along the entire route of US 15. I have submitted a correction.

Kulerage

Google may be acting up. It's like that time where every interstate's route was fragmented into a bunch of small pieces when zoomed out.

index

Quote from: Kulerage on May 28, 2018, 07:51:18 PM
Google may be acting up. It's like that time where every interstate's route was fragmented into a bunch of small pieces when zoomed out.

Google had also put all Illinois state highways in Spanish at one point. That one's still not fixed for some of them.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

The Ghostbuster

I doubt US 25W has been decommissioned. But if they ever do decommission it, maybe they could make it an extension of US 129, like it had been proposed once upon a time.

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 29, 2018, 02:52:50 PM
I doubt US 25W has been decommissioned. But if they ever do decommission it, maybe they could make it an extension of US 129, like it had been proposed once upon a time.

I'm pretty sure I have seen maps that showed US 129 being extended into Kentucky along the routing of 25W, but that wasn't long-lived.

In all truth, It should probably be decommissioned and posted as a state route. It's already TN 9 (the hidden state route designation). It would be easy to post most of it as KY 26 or KY 90, and that would leave only the segment between KY 26 at Williamsburg and KY 90 west of Corbin to be given a new number. Then just make US 25E simply US 25. I like the split routes, but in this case US 25W's functionality has been eclipsed by the interstates.

D-Dey65

Isn't the route in an overlap with a couple of Interstates east of Knoxville?

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 31, 2018, 12:06:56 AM
Isn't the route in an overlap with a couple of Interstates east of Knoxville?

Yup, I-40 and 640.

fillup420

Quote from: hbelkins on May 29, 2018, 04:10:23 PM
In all truth, It should probably be decommissioned and posted as a state route. It's already TN 9 (the hidden state route designation). It would be easy to post most of it as KY 26 or KY 90, and that would leave only the segment between KY 26 at Williamsburg and KY 90 west of Corbin to be given a new number. Then just make US 25E simply US 25. I like the split routes, but in this case US 25W's functionality has been eclipsed by the interstates.

Same goes for US 19W. It briefly goes through a very rural part of NC, then runs with I-26 and US 11E all the way to the confluence with US 19E.

Although in this case, its hard to say which would be better suited as US 19. 19E is an important route through the area, being the only US route to serve many of the towns. 19W is the interstate route, disregarding the small rural section. Perhaps thats why they have been left as is.

hbelkins

Quote from: fillup420 on June 01, 2018, 02:38:02 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 29, 2018, 04:10:23 PM

Same goes for US 19W. It briefly goes through a very rural part of NC, then runs with I-26 and US 11E all the way to the confluence with US 19E.

Although in this case, its hard to say which would be better suited as US 19. 19E is an important route through the area, being the only US route to serve many of the towns. 19W is the interstate route, disregarding the small rural section. Perhaps thats why they have been left as is.

Without a doubt, I'd kill 19W. The decent parts of it are concurrent with other routes. The standalone portion is a terrible road (I've driven it). 19E is of pretty good quality throughout its entire length.

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 29, 2018, 02:52:50 PM

It was still there last September.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2018, 03:14:35 PM

Without a doubt, I'd kill 19W. The decent parts of it are concurrent with other routes. The standalone portion is a terrible road (I've driven it). 19E is of pretty good quality throughout its entire length.

I second this.  When I drove the solo part of 19W (northbound), I actually met a semi coming the other way.  I have no idea how it made it through the twistier parts of this road near the state line crossing.

hbelkins

Now, if they wanted to keep 19W on I-26 (and US 23) and turn the existing old portion of 19W into Tennessee and North Carolina state routes, that would make more sense. And I'd go along with doing that for 25W with I-75 and I-40 (it's already on 640).

US highways are supposed to be through corridors. No one is purposely going to take US 25W from Corbin to Knoxville, or even Newport; nor are they going to take 19W from Johnson City to Mars Hill (unless they're roadgeeking or for clinching purposes.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.