News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA-1 south of Big Sur re-opens two months early

Started by DTComposer, July 18, 2018, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/18/630070035/lifeline-stretch-of-californias-highway-1-reopens-after-massive-mudslide

The series of photos from USGS (near the bottom of the article) is fascinating to see how both nature and man work to re-shape the landscape.

Max Rockatansky

I'll be heading out there either the 26th or 2nd of next month to take some photos.  It's actually been fascinating to check out 1 in Big Sur this last year and half with all the repairs.  Probably the highlight was either driving to isolated 1 between Paul's Slide and Mud Creek when both areas were being worked or having the road south to Gorda all to myself in my Challenger.  Really the silence and quiet out in the coast of Big Sur has been surreal, I almost don't want Mud Creek to reopen so I can still have the area to myself.  It will interesting see all the work done on Mud Creek.  I could go tomorrow but I'm busy with my Historic CA 49 mapping project and really I don't want to hit a crowd of people that might be part of the first wave through Mud Creek. 

Incidentally open call for anyone who would want to meet up out on 1 on either of the above dates at 8 AM to do a mini-meet/Road cruise.  I can start from either side of Big Sur, I would prefer to meet at the intersection of G16/CA 1 or CA 46/CA 1 if anyone is up for it. 

Max Rockatansky

Turns out my fiance's Subaru needs an oil change, I'll be headed out to Big Sur on 8/2 to check out the Mud Creek Slide repairs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.