Yellow School Zone Speed Sign

Started by yand, July 25, 2018, 11:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Yeah, advisory. Odd way to sign the situation for sure.

Knowing what I do about advisory limits, if a person were to be hit in this area during the times on the sign, a driver could be cited for excessive speed even if under the limit.

Probably more effective than the Pierce County, WA-favorite, "WHEN CHILDREN ARE PRESENT" (which I know to legally mean "when outside of the school boundary" but what many interpret to mean "outside of the school building").

Brian556

Look a little farther down the street. There is a crosswalk with school symbol signs with "school zone ahead" plaques below them in advance of the crosswalk. this tells me that the person making the decisions regarding the signage was completely incompetent. I wouldn't be surprised if they intended the speed to be mandatory, but inadvertently used an advisory sign.

yand

I drive through this area often and always try to do 20 in the specified times but I do wonder if I'm slowing down unnecessarily at times. The Slow School Zone 20 MPH 7:45-4:00 sign at the north end of the school zone has been gone the last time I drove through but the sign at the south end remains.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

jakeroot

Quote from: Brian556 on July 26, 2018, 12:18:43 AM
Look a little farther down the street. There is a crosswalk with school symbol signs with "school zone ahead" plaques below them in advance of the crosswalk. this tells me that the person making the decisions regarding the signage was completely incompetent. I wouldn't be surprised if they intended the speed to be mandatory, but inadvertently used an advisory sign.

I didn't notice that sign before, but that doesn't seem to change anything since no school zone signage is present beyond that sign. Black-on-white mandatory speed signage seems to be the key missing element through this area.

No doubt they meant to use mandatory speed signage, though I'm not sure how they thought using speed signs without the words "SPEED LIMIT" on it would convey that message.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.