Cool old sign I drove by today (with a vintage Sprite logo!) in eastern Conn.

Started by jon daly, July 29, 2018, 09:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

Saw this on CT-32 pulling into romantic Willimantic. Enjoy.

Flickr has a better version of the lower left pic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cemeteryrodeo/3469421323

txstateends

Have not seen any old Sprite signs of that style in a while.  Occasionally, I'll see an old back-lit Coke one, either like the Sprite one or the kind where the Coke part is square and the store/service part is above but leans slightly at an angle.  Also has been a while since I've seen any backlit Dr Pepper signs.  In the last 25-35 years, there doesn't seem to be nearly the push to have soft drink or booze brands/logos incorporated in the store signage like before.  Most are content with chain store/gas logo signage if it's part of a chain, or their own sign with just their name and any service/store reference anymore.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

thenetwork

jon daly

Google Maps isn't blocked here at work, but I can't access links like that. Not sure why.

Papa's Roast Beef was established in 1967 and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the original sign. As someone pointed out in another thread, zoning laws killed signs of that size in many locales, so the only ones remaining are those grandfathered in.

In case you can't tell, I like this type of signage. I also like neon; even if LED signage is more efficient.

txstateends

Quote from: thenetwork on July 30, 2018, 10:26:50 AM
One for Diet Rite Cola.  Only the bottom panel was recently replaced.

https://goo.gl/maps/bQLBhnUXqE22

Haven't seen a Diet Rite sign in forever either.  This one's in good shape, for its age.

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jon daly

Today I learned (or relearned something that I forgot,) that Diet Rite is an RC Brand. My dad worked for 15 years on the soft drink business. Going form Coke to Pepsi to RC. Had he lived longer, he might have wound up with Moxie.

Here's an RC sign. Rural signage doesn't float my boat as much as signs on more well traveled routes, but it is still a neat pic.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jon daly on July 30, 2018, 10:42:44 AM
Google Maps isn't blocked here at work, but I can't access links like that. Not sure why.
Likely shortened URLs are blocked.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.