News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

MO 79

Started by CapeCodder, August 21, 2018, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

What was the ultimate plan for Missouri Route 79? before it ends at 70 it's an expressway that extends for about four and a half miles before coming to the interstate. What was the reasoning behind this?

sparker

Drove on MO 79 about 25 or so years ago; got roped into ferrying a mini-van full of relatives up to Hannibal to the Twain museum.  Since I wanted a road that essentially tracked the BNSF line up the river (and its monstrous coal trains to ESL), took 79, not knowing what to expect (pre-GSV!).  From I-70 up to Winfield, it started out as a 4-lane divided expressway, but shrunk to something resembling a CA-style 2-lane expressway -- but with more than a few private access points.  North of there to Louisiana it was more of a conventional but fast 2-lane road, but past that it sort of twisted all over the place (not much parallel RR running, to my consternation).  After visiting the museum, I just headed over to US 61 and took that back to our Webster Groves starting point.  Overall I got the impression that MO 79 was intended to function as an exurban arterial/partial expressway out as far as the MO 47 junction, but that expected development never occurred, so its original 2-lane configuration past the divided portion north of I-70 hasn't been expanded.  Its role is as it always has been -- an alternate from metro StL to Hannibal but skirting the river.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.