News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 1 Big Sur Area; Mud Creek reopens

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 24, 2018, 08:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Finally had an opportunity to head south on CA 1 from Monterey to check out the new alignment over the Mud Creek Slide.  Meanwhile, Paul's Slide continues to be a problem but has one new lane of asphalt.  The Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge essentially has blended into the background of the highway.  Considering I've been to CA 1 in Big Sur every step of the way following the 2016 closures it felt weird to have the highway completely open again.  Strangely there was virtually no traffic south of Pfeiffer Big State Park to Ragged Point.  The photo album below was taken from Signed County Route G16 on the Carmel River south CA 46 near Cambria:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmqNJfPb

Max Rockatansky

Here are the photos of the new alignment of CA 1 southbound over the Mud Creek Slide:

IMG_0117 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0119 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0120 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0123 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0125 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0129 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There are distance shots looking northward towards the Mud Creek Slide:

IMG_0134 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0143 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0144 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0145 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Incidentally I will have a blog post up summarizing the finale the completions of the 2016 mud slide repairs on CA1

Max Rockatansky

As a side note I found this 1916 Bridge on the original alignment of CA 1 on SLO-San Simeon Road in San Simeon crossing the Arryo del Puerto:

IMG_0225 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0226 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Techknow

Thanks for sharing your photos of CA 1 Max. I have rode or driven a large portion of CA 1 in NorCal but I haven't been south of the Big Sur community because at the time I was down there the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge was closed.  Your photos show something that's beautiful but desolate at the same time.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Techknow on August 26, 2018, 12:49:34 AM
Thanks for sharing your photos of CA 1 Max. I have rode or driven a large portion of CA 1 in NorCal but I haven't been south of the Big Sur community because at the time I was down there the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge was closed.  Your photos show something that's beautiful but desolate at the same time.

No problem, luckily I've been pretty much in the right geographic location to see the progress of reopening CA 1 right from the first slides in 2017.

So with that said...  I just completed the last blog entry regarding the 2017 CA 1 Big Sur Slide Repairs.  I included information regarding all the big slides; Pfeiffer Canyon, Paul's Slide, and Mud Creek.  I wasn't planning on going over the history of LRN 56/CA 1 but I did anyways and included state highway maps showing the progression of how the road through Big Sur was built.  I did manage to capture the new road over Mud Creek from CA 1 and from some distant vistas:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/08/california-state-route-1-in-big-sur-mud.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.