News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Freeways that only use or are missing a certain interchange type

Started by Bruce, September 19, 2018, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

M-6 has no traditional diamonds at all. There are two five-ramp parclos, two six-ramp parclos, a cloverleaf with C-D roads on both freeways (US-131), a SPUI, and two directional Ts (one at each end)

JKRhodes

In Arizona:

US 60 has no SPUI's along its 27 miles of freeway. It's all diamond or diamond variants (two half diamonds, one folded half diamond, IIRC)

There are no DDI interchanges in the state of Arizona, though there is talk of putting one in at Houghton Road and I-10 in Tucson. Along with a monstrosity at Happy Valley Road and I-17 that would allow through traffic on the frontage roads to pass via some convoluted movements.

I also can't think of any full cloverleafs that exist on any interstate in Arizona.May have been at some point in the past, but if so they've long since been rebuilt.

Technically I-15 passes through Arizona, and it has nothing but diamond interchanges.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

I-295 in NJ has 52 or so interchanges over its 76 miles of highway.  Only 1 would qualify as a Diamond (Exit 7), and even that one gives the appearance that a partial cloverleaf may have been planned for it. https://goo.gl/maps/U7Xwb2TKhGG2

Quote from: mrcmc888 on September 21, 2018, 09:34:35 PM
DE-1 does not have any full cloverleafs across its entire length.  There are a couple instances where it has 3 loop ramps, but never all four at once.

As it happens, the only such example of a complete cloverleaf on I-95 in Delaware would've been with DE 1.

And thus, I-95 in Delaware doesn't have any cloverleafs either.

CNGL-Leudimin

There are no SPUIs or DDIs in all of Spain (at least that I'm aware of).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

skluth

I-64/US 40 in St Louis has consecutive SPUIs, Kingshighway and Hampton Av

US 89

Quote from: skluth on September 24, 2018, 10:21:55 PM
I-64/US 40 in St Louis has consecutive SPUIs, Kingshighway and Hampton Av

I-15 in Utah laughs at that. There are seven consecutive SPUIs in a row on 15 south of Salt Lake City: 146th South, Bangerter, 123rd, 114th, 106th, 90th, and 72nd South. If you don't count the full freeway interchange at I-215, then that bumps up to 10 in a row, with 53rd, 45th, and 33rd South.

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: roadiejay on September 24, 2018, 01:43:40 AM
In Arizona:

US 60 has no SPUI's along its 27 miles of freeway. It's all diamond or diamond variants (two half diamonds, one folded half diamond, IIRC)

There are no DDI interchanges in the state of Arizona, though there is talk of putting one in at Houghton Road and I-10 in Tucson. Along with a monstrosity at Happy Valley Road and I-17 that would allow through traffic on the frontage roads to pass via some convoluted movements.

I also can't think of any full cloverleafs that exist on any interstate in Arizona.May have been at some point in the past, but if so they've long since been rebuilt.

Technically I-15 passes through Arizona, and it has nothing but diamond interchanges.

For AZ 51, almost every full interchange with a surface street is a SPUI. The only exception is at Northern Ave. The other interchanges are either half diamonds or freeway-to-freeway at either end.

A couple DDIs are under construction on the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway. Technically, they will only be half DDIs, since the current cross streets only exist on one side of the future freeway.

Revive 755

The IL 53 freeway in Chicagoland from I-90 to the north end at Lake Cook Road does not have a single full diamond interchange.  There's two half diamonds, three full cloverleads (including the one at I-90), two folded diamonds, one trumpet, and and one one-loop partial cloverlead.

I-270 in Missouri does not have any folded diamonds currently (one is/was under consideration at Exit 34/Riverview).  In the future it may not have any full cloverleafs either - the only remaining one at MO 367 will go whenever MoDOT gets funding to redo the interchange.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JKRhodes

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on October 21, 2018, 08:46:57 PM
Quote from: roadiejay on September 24, 2018, 01:43:40 AM
In Arizona:

For AZ 51, almost every full interchange with a surface street is a SPUI. The only exception is at Northern Ave. The other interchanges are either half diamonds or freeway-to-freeway at either end.

A couple DDIs are under construction on the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway. Technically, they will only be half DDIs, since the current cross streets only exist on one side of the future freeway.

There was no loop ramps on the Superstition Freeway until a few years ago, just a nice consistent pattern of Urban Diamond interchanges... Then they opened the bastard at Meridian Road.

hbelkins

No SPUIs on I-64 in Kentucky. Also, none of which I'm aware on I-65 or I-71. None on I-24 either. The only SPUI on a parkway is on the new Natcher Parkway extension (now a signed KY 900x route with the advent of I-165) and it's hardly urban; it's in the middle of a cornfield.

No diverging diamonds at present on any interstate or parkway in Kentucky except US 60 at I-24 in Paducah.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ari-s-drives

In the East Bay, CA, Interstates 580, 205, 238 and 980 have no full cloverleaves or SPUIs. 205 has no parclos with more than 1 loop ramp. Route 85 in Santa Clara County also has no full cloverleaves (it has one parclo with 4 loop ramps but it is missing a right-turn ramp). Interstate 505 in the North Bay only has diamond interchanges and A4 parclos with the exception of its two ends.

CoreySamson

Houston is a really good example of this. Every single freeway-freeway junction is a stack (or planned to become a stack). Only three cloverleafs exist in the Houston Metro. Two of them are in the Woodlands, and one of them is on a surface street.

Also, I don't think Houston has any parclos or DDis or SPUIs. Just feeder roads and stacks.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 08, 2020, 02:16:57 PM
Also, I don't think Houston has any parclos or DDis or SPUIs. Just feeder roads and stacks.

There is a frontage road parclo on 59/69 at FM 762 in Rosenberg: https://goo.gl/maps/CaKUUrAVZafjar5L9

Looks like with the recent widening and reconstruction they tightened the ramps into more of a RIRO situation, but functionally I'd say it's still a parclo.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

STLmapboy

I-270, the STL beltway, only has one full cloverleaf now (367 in North County). There used to be more, at 44 (reconstructed in 90s), 64 (always referred to locally as "40" by the US route, rebuilt in 90s), the Page extension (one cloverleaf removed in favor of flyover in early 2010), and 67 (one clover removed in 2013). There's also one SPUI (Olive), one DDI (Dorsett), and no Cali-style parclos (although some with one loop ramp, like Telegraph and Koch).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadfro

Nevada I-580: There is not a single standard diamond interchange in Carson City, with the first full regular diamond configuration being exit 16 (about 6-7 miles north of Carson City). In fact, for the ~36 miles of I-580, there are 21 interchanges and only 3 of them are standard diamonds. (There were formerly 5 standard diamonds–one was converted to a DDI, and another is now part of a split diamond.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on May 17, 2020, 02:32:45 PM
Nevada I-580: There is not a single standard diamond interchange in Carson City, with the first full regular diamond configuration being exit 16 (about 6-7 miles north of Carson City). In fact, for the ~36 miles of I-580, there are 21 interchanges and only 3 of them are standard diamonds. (There were formerly 5 standard diamonds–one was converted to a DDI, and another is now part of a split diamond.)

I've noticed that Nevada is really split in its interchange designs. Up in the Carson City and Reno area, there seems to be far less diamonds and more parclos, SPUIs, or other configurations, compared to the Vegas area where diamonds seem to be the most common (and by a large margin).

mrcmc888

More examples in Delaware- DE-141, I-495, and US 301 all lack cloverleafs.

There might not even be a cloverleaf intersection in the state of Delaware, depending on if this intersection on I-295 counts as one or not.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6970466,-75.5523041,15z

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2020, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: roadfro on May 17, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

I've noticed that Nevada is really split in its interchange designs. Up in the Carson City and Reno area, there seems to be far less diamonds and more parclos, SPUIs, or other configurations, compared to the Vegas area where diamonds seem to be the most common (and by a large margin).

I've not really thought about that before you mentioned it. And I don't have a good explanation as to why, other than right-of-way considerations. I have a hunch that some of it may be related to more of the Las Vegas area's freeway network either being older or being planned out further in advance in lesser-developed areas of town (so right-of-way for standard diamonds could be acquired more in advance).

Another fun fact: Within Reno, Virginia St has five freeway interchanges, four with US-395/I-580 and one with I-80. Only the I-80 interchange is a diamond (and it's a split diamond at that, because the ramps also intersect two other downtown streets). The others on US 395/I-580 are a trumpet, a half diamond, and two parclos--and they are all vestiges of Virginia St being old US 395 and those particular interchanges being a point at which the then-new US 395 freeway previously had a temporary end.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

EpicRoadways

Here's a fun one: you can drive 158 miles of I-94 eastbound from exit 6 just outside of Moorhead to exit 164 in Waite Park without encountering an interchange loop ramp of any kind; no par-clos or even folded diamond ramps. Just standard diamonds and the occasional half-diamond. I-94 westbound is almost as impressive, but a folded entrance ramp at exit 100 in Alexandria spoils it. The "record" for this stretch historically would have been slightly longer at 165 miles in each direction, from exit 1 in Moorhead all the way to exit 167 near St. Cloud both east and westbound. C'mon exit 100... why'd you have to mess it all up?

cbeach40

Quote from: GaryV on September 20, 2018, 09:48:20 PM
On Ontario 402, most if not all the 4-ramp interchanges are folded diamonds.  There are some parclo interchanges with 5 or 6 ramps.  But no regular diamonds.  There's a lot of folded diamonds on 401 too.

The first three interchanges in Sarnia are modified Parclos, with some diamond/J-ramp elements included on the south sides due to development. The rest are all Parclo-A (loop ramp on near side of the cross road), with a handful of Parclo-B (far side loop ramp) configurations at Hwy 40 and in the Strathroy area.
and waterrrrrrr!

Roadwarriors79

Just updating for Arizona. There are two half-DDI interchanges on Loop 202 at Desert Foothills Pkwy and 17th Ave. I-17 and Happy Valley Rd will be a full DDI when construction is done either late this year or sometime next year.

ChiMilNet

Interstate 70 between I-64 in Wentzville and I-470 in Independence. Almost the entire interstate has diamond interchanges (even those with major expressways and even a "Breezewood" situation in Columbia with US 63). I think there is one cloverleaf and one DDI the entire distance as the two lone exceptions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.