News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Newest System Interchange in Each State

Started by triplemultiplex, November 30, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

What is the newest system interchange in each state?  And by "new", I mean there was not a free-flow interchange there until one was built; I'm not looking at reconstructions of existing ones.
I'll leave the criteria for what constitutes a "system interchange" open-ended.  It'll be more fun to discuss.

Wisconsin's answer is in Green Bay at I-41 and WI 29.
I-41 and US 10/WI 441 is newer, but there was a system interchange there already.  It wasn't complete, though, so one could maybe argue that it's full build-out makes it "new".

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Roadsguy

Are you only talking about totally new interchanges on existing roads? If not, US 219 at Mud Pike in Somerset County, PA is our newest, having opened this past week. The interchanges at the north and south end of this new freeway segment already existed in their current configuration at the time of opening, albeit not fully open yet.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hbelkins

Kentucky's is the new one at Georgetown on I-75, between the existing US 62 and KY 620 exits. It was built in conjunction with a new access road to the Toyota plant.

Runner-up is probably either the new KY 3050 (Gifford Road) interchange on the Mountain Parkway in Magoffin County, built as part of the widening of the super-two section of the parkway, or Ring Road (KY 3005) and Western Kentucky Parkway at Elizabethtown.

Nevermind, if we are talking about freeway-to-freeway interchanges. In Kentucky's case, it would be the I-24/Pennyrile Parkway interchange that was built when the Pennyrile was finally completed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheStranger

The newest in California is probably Route 905 at Route 125/Route 11, though it is still not 100% complete.  Next one upcoming is probably the Route 132/Route 99 semi-directional Y in Modesto that has been planned since the 1950s/1960s I-5W/I-5E concepts were in existence, followed by the proposals for a new Route 25/US 101 interchange south of Gilroy.

Other somewhat recent ones:
Route 99 in Atwater at the Atwater-Merced Expressway
Route 210 with I-15 and I-215 as part of the Foothill Freeway extension project (and all the interchanges between the two)
Route 241 south extension to Las Patrones Parkway in Las Flores
Interchanges along the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield (future Route 58)
Chris Sampang

dfilpus

For North Carolina, the Monroe US 74 Bypass just opened, so all of the interchanges along the bypass are new.

Interstate 69 Fan

Indiana's will probably have to be along I-69 section 5, but it isn't really a "brand new"  road, so that could be false. If your talking new road, then it would probably have to be SR 641.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

jdb1234

jeffandnicole

If we're talking about an existing highway...

I'm not going to know much about North Jersey, but in South Jersey I'd guess the newest one is Exit 7B on NJ 42, which was built (supposedly) to take pressure off an interchange a mile away...but also conveniently serves a new large outlet mall.  This interchange opened in August, 2010.

Honorable mentions: Garden State Parkway Exit 41, which opened to remove an unofficial interchange that involved going thru the Parkway Service Plaza.  And the GSP's Exit 9, 10 and 11 interchanges, which replaced intersections operated by traffic lights and RIROs.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 30, 2018, 03:07:25 PM
Indiana's will probably have to be along I-69 section 5, but it isn't really a "brand new"  road, so that could be false. If your talking new road, then it would probably have to be SR 641.

Section 5 of I-69 is not a new road, but the interchanges are new so those would be the newest ones.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Eth

The new I-75 express lanes in Cobb County that just opened include access to four roads that previously had no direct access (Terrell Mill Rd, GA 3 Conn, Big Shanty Rd, and Hickory Grove Rd).

If those don't count, then...maybe GA 316 at GA 20/124? I'm assuming interchanges further east on 316 don't count due to the intervening at-grades. Unless there's something in the southern half of the state that I've missed (entirely possible).

That's not counting interchanges that are currently under construction but haven't (AFAIK) opened yet, such as GA 400/GA 369.

pianocello

If I define a system interchange as a free-flow freeway-to-freeway interchange, I'm pretty sure all the ones in Iowa have been that way since the freeways were constructed. I believe that would make the newest one IA 5 at I-35 in West Des Moines, built in 2002. That is, until the new interchange between US 30 and IA 100 in southwest Cedar Rapids opens soon.

If a system interchange is defined by ramp movements that were constructed to replace an intersection, then it would be the US 65/IA 330/IA 117 interchange northeast of Des Moines.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Roadsguy

Quote from: dfilpus on November 30, 2018, 03:03:05 PM
For North Carolina, the Monroe US 74 Bypass just opened, so all of the interchanges along the bypass are new.

Yes, but the shelf life of "newest interchange" status in NC is like two weeks. :colorful:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

US 89

The newest system interchange in Utah is the I-15/US 89/SR 67 interchange in Farmington, which opened in 2008. However, you could argue that it was a reconstruction of a previously-existing system interchange involving only 15, 89, and SR-225. The southern terminus of Legacy opened at the same time, but I don't think it qualifies as a system.

In which case, the newest would be the interchange complex involving I-80, I-215, and SR 154, which opened in 1986. (Both I-15/80 interchanges and the I-15/215 south interchange were reconstructed in 2001, but those already existed and so don't count.)

As fast as Utah is growing, there is definitely an aversion to building system interchanges there. Many of the newer freeways/expressways that were recently built actually end at a SPUI, such as US 40/189, SR 154, and SR 7. And don't get me started on the DDI at SR-201 and SR-154.

BrianP

For Maryland it's one that I didn't realize was open yet.  MD 97 @ Randolph Road.  I have not seen any press release saying it's open.  So I'm going by Google Maps.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0582247,-77.0506684,18z/data=!5m1!1e1
https://www.weatherbug.com/traffic-cam/?latlng=39.057863,-77.049816

The next AFAIK will be the I-270 Exit @ Watkins Mill Road.  That's slated to open in 2020.

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 30, 2018, 02:33:50 PM
a free-flow interchange

I think you had given the pertinent criterion up above. 

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 30, 2018, 02:33:50 PM
I'll leave the criteria for what constitutes a "system interchange" open-ended.

I don't consider it to be a system interchange unless every movement is free-flowing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

In Michigan:

The northern end of M-231 is a new interchange, since M-231 is new.

For existing roads with added interchanges, maybe the Larson Rd exit from I-96? (Howell area, Exit 140)

I don't see how this thread should be restricted to only new full-freeway to full-freeway interchanges, unless you consider totally new routes.  Except for a few toll road examples, most intersecting freeways have full interchanges - they are added as part of the construction of the newer road.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on November 30, 2018, 04:36:29 PM
I don't see how this thread should be restricted to only new full-freeway to full-freeway interchanges, unless you consider totally new routes.  Except for a few toll road examples, most intersecting freeways have full interchanges - they are added as part of the construction of the newer road.

That only matters if you're looking for recent ones.  The OP merely asked for the "newest", which is relative.  Perhaps the newest one in your state is from 1995.  It's still the newest.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

I took this to mean freeway-to-freeway interchanges only. Not sure what the answer is for New York. Possibly I-290/I-990 for WNY.

Mark68

Newest interchange I can think of in CO is I-25 at Castle Rock Pkwy in Castle Rock. That was completed in the last couple of years.

Newest freeway-to-freeway interchange is most likely the I-25/E-470/Northwest Pkwy interchange in the Thornton/Broomfield area. Although E-470 & I-70 is a work in progress (currently have to exit E-470 onto Gun Club Rd to get to EB I-70 and to get from WB I-70 to E-470, you have to take Gun Club.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

RobbieL2415

CT: Probably the end of I-291 in Manchester.  That was all done from scratch.  I believe I-84's Exit 61 was simply skipped during the Great Widening and Renumbering.

RI: IDK, maybe RI 146 at I-295?

MA: Possibly US 44 and MA 3, that bypass was finished in the late 90s.  Also might possibly be MA 57 at US 5 in Agawam, 57 was finished in the early 90s.

froggie

Quote from: triplemultiplexWhat is the newest system interchange in each state?  And by "new", I mean there was not a free-flow interchange there until one was built; I'm not looking at reconstructions of existing ones.
I'll leave the criteria for what constitutes a "system interchange" open-ended.  It'll be more fun to discuss.

Besides what kphoger mentioned in that you already kinda defined it already, it should be noted that FHWA defines system interchanges as interchanges between two freeway-grade facilities.

As to the question itself...

jdb1234 is correct with Alabama....I-22/I-65.

Minnesota's would be the I-94/MN 610 interchange that opened 2 years ago, though that is only a partial.

Mississippi's is clearly the new I-22/I-269 interchange that opened last year.

Due to lack of controlled-access facilities, Vermont only has 4 system interchanges in the entire state.  The "newest" one would be I-91/93, completed in 1982.  Though VT 279 is much newer (2004), the interchange it has with US 7 has been in use since the mid-1970s.

Eth

If freeway-to-freeway interchanges are what we're looking for, I'm pretty sure Georgia's newest one would be the south end of GA 400 at I-85, which looks like it opened in either 1994 or 1995.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on November 30, 2018, 06:11:50 PM
I took this to mean freeway-to-freeway interchanges only. Not sure what the answer is for New York. Possibly I-290/I-990 for WNY.
The most recent ones I can think of off the top of my head are I-81/I-781 and I-87/I-84 (which was a PA-style Breezewood until under a decade ago).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GaryV

So if we're talking freeway-to-freeway, then in MI it would be M-6 at I-196.

And hopefully some day it will be US-31 at I-94.

Revive 755

I think for Illinois it would currently be I-290 at IL 390, which will later be superseded by one of the I-490/O'Hare West Bypass interchanges.  Probably IL 390 at I-490, then I-490 at I-294, with I-490 at I-90 being the last one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.