News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed limits on non interstates

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 29, 2018, 10:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 31, 2018, 01:40:21 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2018, 02:53:26 PMFrom what I can tell, Kansas law authorizes 75 mph "on any separated multilane highway, as designated and posted by the secretary of transportation" [8-1558(2)], but I'm not aware of any non-Interstate highways with a speed limit higher than 70 mph in actuality.

There is:  US 81 north of I-70 to the K-106 Minneapolis exit (speed limit sign).  This is also a (possibly unique) length of non-Interstate freeway that is posted with the Interstate restrictions sign. 

Dang, and I just drove that highway back in 2016, too...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ben114 on December 31, 2018, 02:18:25 PM
The highest non-freeway speed limit in MA probably has to be the 50 (maybe it's 55) on MA 140 between US 20 and MA 9 in Shrewsbury.
It's 55. I have seen it on several two lane roads out west including MA 43.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2018, 04:12:54 PM
Quote from: Ben114 on December 31, 2018, 02:18:25 PM
The highest non-freeway speed limit in MA probably has to be the 50 (maybe it's 55) on MA 140 between US 20 and MA 9 in Shrewsbury.
It's 55. I have seen it on several two lane roads out west including MA 43.

As already discussed elsewhere...

Quote from: 1 on October 18, 2018, 11:53:58 AM
US 1 between Newburyport and Ipswich is posted at 55. It's almost perfectly straight.

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 18, 2018, 11:58:02 AM
MA 49 says "Hello." as well.

Quote from: froggie on October 18, 2018, 12:10:54 PM
As does MA 119.

Quote from: cl94 on October 19, 2018, 11:44:33 AM
If we disregard short reductions to 45-50 for curves/intersections, there are four 55 zones along US 7 in MA. Ashley Falls bypass, Sheffield-Great Barrington, Lenox bypass (4 lanes), and Lanesborough-Williamstown. US 7 may have more undivided 55 sections than any other 2-lane road in the state (3).

Quote from: cl94 on October 19, 2018, 07:26:04 PM

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 19, 2018, 06:17:43 PM
MA 8 is also 55 MPH at it's southernmost end. I want to say maybe the first two or three miles in Massachusetts is 55.

3.5 miles.

Quote from: froggie on October 19, 2018, 08:20:44 PM
Since I'm at my in-laws tonight who live near it, most of MA 88 is 2 lanes and also 55 MPH.  The southern end across the drawbridge to Horseneck Beach isn't, nor are the traffic signal intersections (along the lines of what cl94 mentioned), but everything else in between is 55.

Quote from: roadman65 on October 19, 2018, 10:46:44 PM

Quote from: Duke87 on October 19, 2018, 12:51:34 AM

Quote from: vdeane on October 18, 2018, 12:57:44 PM
I believe there's a section or two of US 7 with 55 in MA as well.

There is.

55 zones on two-lane roads in MA are uncommon, but they do exist.

Williamstown to Pittsfield is 55.

Quote from: DJDBVT on October 23, 2018, 12:15:43 PM
MA 10 between I-91 and MA 63 (Bernardston/Northfield) has been posted 55 for at least the last 30 years.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Virginia has one non-Interstate segment posted at 70 mph, the Interstate-grade bypass of Lynchburg and Madison Heights. The statute allows any freeway to be posted at 70 provided VDOT conducts a traffic study that shows 70 would be OK, but VDOT has declined to conduct such studies on non-Interstates except that one segment.

Overall, in Virginia no road segment with at-grade intersections is posted above 60 mph, and those with at-grade intersections with 60-mph speed limits have it authorized by statute (otherwise they couldn't be posted above 55). It does create the annoying situation where US-29's speed limit bounces back and forth between 60 and 65 south of Lynchburg because the small towns' bypasses are freeway-grade and thus can have higher speed limits than the other segments that have at-grade intersections.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

allniter89

FL 85 a mile or so south of Crestview is 65mph down to jct Toll 293 north of Niceville.
FL 123 is the Niceville bypass & is 65mph it entire length with limited at grade intersections, again Eglin AFB property.
FL 285 is an 18 mile, 65mph  2 lane hwy on Eglin AFB property. The only at grade intersection are dirt roads going to bombing ranges, other misc Eglin activies.
It seems many 2 lane FL hwys are 60mph when the hwy is very rural with limited AGI.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

doorknob60

In Idaho, unfortunately they do discriminate by highway type. Interstates have a maximum of 80, and non-interstates have a maximum of 70. Before about 5 years ago (don't remember the exact time), this was 75 and 65, respectively. I am not sure where non state maintained roads fit in, I cannot think of one I've seen above 60 MPH (and 50 or 55 is usually what you see), so that may be a true maximum, or just the fastest that happens to exist.

Luckily, there are not many non-interstates that would warrant >70 MPH so it's not a big problem (when it was 65 though, it was a bit slow). The US-20 freeway east of Idaho Falls might be the only candidate, and maybe US-95 around Athol but that is not a very long freeway segment at this point (and Northern Idaho speed limits generally fall more in line with WA limits than southern Idaho limits, so 70 seems adequate).

A couple 2 lane highways even made the 70 MPH cut, which is nice (notably most of US-20 between Idaho Falls and Arco). Though in general, the "standard" speed limit on 2 laners is 65 MPH (with 55 or 60 common in substandard/curvy areas or places with more cross traffic).

Oregon, as of the last few years, is a bit complicated. You have what I will call the "standard" speed limits, which can apply to any road, and the "legislative override" speed limits, where a new limit was set into stone specifically for certain stretches of highway, where that limit would otherwise not be allowed.

The "standard" maximums are 65 (Trucks 60, I think is now standard, it used to be 55) on Interstates, and 55 on all other roads (the bane of driving in Oregon, especially before the "legislative overrides" happened). The "legislative override" has allowed speed limits as high as 70 (Trucks 65), on both interstates (I-84 and I-82), and a 2 lane US highway (only US-95); in addition to many other US and state highways being bumped to 65 (Trucks 60) across the Eastern half of the state.

The good news about Oregon, is that as long as you're out of city limits, the speed limit is pretty constant regardless of road conditions. For example, I-84 retains its 70 MPH Speed Limit up and down Cabbage Hill east of Pendleton, despite steep grades and sharp curves (posted as low as 45 MPH advisory). I drive fast, and I can't maintain 70 through there. Many states it would drop to 55 or so. Also on any random state highway, eg. going through the mountains or winding along the coast. Not only is the standard maximum 55 MPH, but that's also the default. So you can be going through 25 MPH advisory curves for miles, but the limit won't drop below 55. As opposed to Idaho where in extreme cases, the speed limit will drop to 45 or even 35 just due to sharp curves. The only exception I can think of is I-5 between Ashland and the CA border is 55, and there is a sharp curve (45 advisory I believe) somewhere else on I-5 in Southern Oregon where the limit drops too I believe (I think to 55? But I can't find it right now). And the variable speed zone between La Grande and Baker City, I suppose (I've seen that go as low as 45, not always justified).

PurdueBill

Quote from: Buck87 on December 31, 2018, 01:59:00 PM
In Ohio 70 mph is the maximum for both interstates and non interstates.

It's mostly limited to rural freeways, however, I know of at least one place where an expressway with at grade intersections is 70 mph (US 30 near Upper Sandusky)

30 is 70 mph all the way from the Indiana line all the way to Mansfield, except for the overlap with US 23 near Upper Sandusky, even though there are crossroads.  It used to be 65/55, then increased to 70 on the sections that were freeway (no crossroads), then to 70 even on the sections with crossroads.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: doorknob60 on January 03, 2019, 04:19:36 PM
In Idaho, unfortunately they do discriminate by highway type. Interstates have a maximum of 80, and non-interstates have a maximum of 70. Before about 5 years ago (don't remember the exact time), this was 75 and 65, respectively. I am not sure where non state maintained roads fit in, I cannot think of one I've seen above 60 MPH (and 50 or 55 is usually what you see), so that may be a true maximum, or just the fastest that happens to exist.

Luckily, there are not many non-interstates that would warrant >70 MPH so it's not a big problem (when it was 65 though, it was a bit slow). The US-20 freeway east of Idaho Falls might be the only candidate, and maybe US-95 around Athol but that is not a very long freeway segment at this point (and Northern Idaho speed limits generally fall more in line with WA limits than southern Idaho limits, so 70 seems adequate).

A couple 2 lane highways even made the 70 MPH cut, which is nice (notably most of US-20 between Idaho Falls and Arco). Though in general, the "standard" speed limit on 2 laners is 65 MPH (with 55 or 60 common in substandard/curvy areas or places with more cross traffic).

Oregon, as of the last few years, is a bit complicated. You have what I will call the "standard" speed limits, which can apply to any road, and the "legislative override" speed limits, where a new limit was set into stone specifically for certain stretches of highway, where that limit would otherwise not be allowed.

The "standard" maximums are 65 (Trucks 60, I think is now standard, it used to be 55) on Interstates, and 55 on all other roads (the bane of driving in Oregon, especially before the "legislative overrides" happened). The "legislative override" has allowed speed limits as high as 70 (Trucks 65), on both interstates (I-84 and I-82), and a 2 lane US highway (only US-95); in addition to many other US and state highways being bumped to 65 (Trucks 60) across the Eastern half of the state.

The good news about Oregon, is that as long as you're out of city limits, the speed limit is pretty constant regardless of road conditions. For example, I-84 retains its 70 MPH Speed Limit up and down Cabbage Hill east of Pendleton, despite steep grades and sharp curves (posted as low as 45 MPH advisory). I drive fast, and I can't maintain 70 through there. Many states it would drop to 55 or so. Also on any random state highway, eg. going through the mountains or winding along the coast. Not only is the standard maximum 55 MPH, but that's also the default. So you can be going through 25 MPH advisory curves for miles, but the limit won't drop below 55. As opposed to Idaho where in extreme cases, the speed limit will drop to 45 or even 35 just due to sharp curves. The only exception I can think of is I-5 between Ashland and the CA border is 55, and there is a sharp curve (45 advisory I believe) somewhere else on I-5 in Southern Oregon where the limit drops too I believe (I think to 55? But I can't find it right now). And the variable speed zone between La Grande and Baker City, I suppose (I've seen that go as low as 45, not always justified).
I would sign the US 20 freeway at 75.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Utah unfortunately discriminates by highway type as well. Like several other western states, the maximum rural interstate speed is 80, but there is a legislated statutory maximum of 65 mph for any non-interstate. It's a bit painful when you get to roads like SR-7, which is a full freeway through mostly nothing (see here). That could definitely support a 70 mph limit.

There also is no allowance for rural divided highway limits to be higher than undivided. The good news here is that there are no expressway-standard divided highways without some other condition requiring a lower speed limit (exurban area, mountains, etc.) Even so, the four-lane US 6 bypass between Price and Helper could easily be 70 mph, which is what everybody drives on it anyway.

Urban interstates are allowed to be as high as 70 mph, but the same logic doesn't apply to non-interstate freeways, even if built to interstate standard (such as the eastern half of SR-201, where the limit is still 65).

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 03, 2019, 05:50:35 PMI would sign the US 20 freeway at 75.

I just drove this thing yesterday, and I'm actually OK with the current 70 mph limit on it; I feel like it's exurban enough and has enough traffic that the 70 limit is justified. That said, I won't argue if it ever gets bumped in the future!

Flint1979

Highest speeds in Michigan are 75 but it doesn't matter if it's an Interstate but rather if it's a freeway. There are several freeways in Michigan that aren't Interstate highways like M-10 which is the Lodge Freeway or M-39 which is the Southfield Freeway both in Detroit or M-6 on the South Beltline of Grand Rapids. A two lane US or state highway most of the time will be 55 mph, there are some that are 65 mph though, closest example to me is US-127 between Ithaca and St. Johns. If a freeway isn't 70 mph it'll probably be 55 mph.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on December 30, 2018, 07:22:54 AM
Michigan has no difference for freeway speed limits based on the "branding" of the road.  M-14, US-23 and I-94 are all 70 mph. (3 freeways near each other with state, US and Interstate numbers.)

Some freeways in the northern* part of the state have a 75 mph speed limit - but again it doesn't depend on whether it's US or Interstate.  E.g. I-75 and US-127.  I don't believe there are any M-xx highways with 75 mph limit though, because the M-xx freeways are in the southern part of the state.

* - where "northern" starts is variable, not a fixed line of latitude
I-69 between Lansing and Port Huron except from Swartz Creek to the Genesee/Lapeer county line is 75 mph. None of the state highways got an increase to 75 mph but four US highways did (US-10, US-31, US-127 and US-131), all are freeways though or at least freeways in the stretches that are 75 mph. Several non-freeways got an increase to 65 mph, including Michigan's newest state highway M-231.

Buck87

Quote from: PurdueBill on January 03, 2019, 05:20:04 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on December 31, 2018, 01:59:00 PM
In Ohio 70 mph is the maximum for both interstates and non interstates.

It's mostly limited to rural freeways, however, I know of at least one place where an expressway with at grade intersections is 70 mph (US 30 near Upper Sandusky)

30 is 70 mph all the way from the Indiana line all the way to Mansfield, except for the overlap with US 23 near Upper Sandusky, even though there are crossroads.  It used to be 65/55, then increased to 70 on the sections that were freeway (no crossroads), then to 70 even on the sections with crossroads.

Thanks, I wasn't sure exactly how far the 70 mph went on the non-freeway portions outside of the Upper-Beaverdam segment.

Are there any other non-freeways in Ohio that have 70 mph? I haven't come across any that I can remember.

sprjus4

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 31, 2018, 05:13:13 PM
Virginia has one non-Interstate segment posted at 70 mph, the Interstate-grade bypass of Lynchburg and Madison Heights. The statute allows any freeway to be posted at 70 provided VDOT conducts a traffic study that shows 70 would be OK, but VDOT has declined to conduct such studies on non-Interstates except that one segment.

Overall, in Virginia no road segment with at-grade intersections is posted above 60 mph, and those with at-grade intersections with 60-mph speed limits have it authorized by statute (otherwise they couldn't be posted above 55). It does create the annoying situation where US-29's speed limit bounces back and forth between 60 and 65 south of Lynchburg because the small towns' bypasses are freeway-grade and thus can have higher speed limits than the other segments that have at-grade intersections.
The only reason VDOT agreed to put 70 MPH on US-29 Madison Heights Bypass is because it was interstate standards. It appears they won't post anything higher than 65 MPH unless it meets full interstate standards with shoulders, etc.

I could arguably say that a most rural 4-lane highways posted at 60 MPH could be raised to 65 MPH, but if that's too much, then at least the ones that are built close to interstate standards, flat, and have shoulders, for example many portions of US-17 and US-58. Limited-access portions (not freeway, but no driveways) most definitely should be allowed 65 MPH. Most bypasses can also safely handle 70 MPH.

jakeroot

Washington is a bit backwards. At a basic level, all roads can be posted up to 75 mph. Currently, the highest limit is 70, which are used on interstates and US routes on both sides of the state (no state route freeway has been upgraded to 70 but there is no legal obstacle).

But, Interstates, except in stretches governed by variable limits, are never posted below 60 (except maybe the occasional approach to a narrow bridge or border crossing). This means that really short 1-mile interstates like 705 in Tacoma have a 60 limit, which can feel fast (depending on the car). This minimum is not inscribed into law anywhere, so it's only a de facto minimum.

State Route and US Route freeways do not have the same minimum, though if they're designated "freeway" (typically by "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs, or on maps), the limit is almost always 60 (or 70 if rural).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on January 05, 2019, 05:46:29 PM
Washington is a bit backwards. At a basic level, all roads can be posted up to 75 mph. Currently, the highest limit is 70, which is used across all three designations throughout the state.

But, Interstates, except in stretches governed by variable limits, are never posted below 60 (except maybe the occasional approach to a narrow bridge or border crossing). This means that really short 1-mile interstates like 705 in Tacoma have a 60 limit, which can feel fast (depending on the car). This minimum is not inscribed into law anywhere, so it's only a de facto minimum.

State Route and US Route freeways do not have the same minimum, though if they're designated "freeway" (typically by "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" signs, or on maps), the limit is almost always 60 (or 70 if rural).
What other non interstate freeways are 70 besides US 395?

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 05, 2019, 05:50:25 PM
What other non interstate freeways are 70 besides US 395?

I thought there was at least one, but I was wrong. Only US Routes and Interstates are posted at 70 in WA, but there is no legal obstacle to prevent a state route from being 70. It's just never happened, apparently.

But it's probably worth noting that there are very few rural state route freeways to begin with. SR-16 and SR-3 could potentially work as 70, but remain at 60 for the time being.

Roadsguy

Pennsylvania makes no distinction between Interstates and non-Interstates. Freeways have a default of 65 mph (though they can be posted up to 70 after traffic studies and such) and both divided and undivided surface roads have a default of 55. I'm unaware of any non-freeways posted higher than this, or if it's even allowed.

We have examples of every standard speed limit level within 70 except for 60.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 10, 2019, 01:16:26 AM
Pennsylvania makes no distinction between Interstates and non-Interstates. Freeways have a default of 65 mph (though they can be posted up to 70 after traffic studies and such) and both divided and undivided surface roads have a default of 55. I'm unaware of any non-freeways posted higher than this, or if it's even allowed.

We have examples of every standard speed limit level within 70 except for 60.
Any non interstates at 70?

1995hoo

^^^

Pennsylvania Route 43 has some 70-mph segments and is not an Interstate.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2019, 08:51:44 AMPennsylvania Route 43 has some 70-mph segments and is not an Interstate.
Are those segments along the PA Turnpike-owned stretches?  IIRC, aside from temporary-work zone posted speeds; the speed limits for the PA Turnpike (PTC) system highways are either 70 or 55.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 03, 2019, 05:59:33 PM
Highest speeds in Michigan are 75 but it doesn't matter if it's an Interstate but rather if it's a freeway. There are several freeways in Michigan that aren't Interstate highways like M-10 which is the Lodge Freeway or M-39 which is the Southfield Freeway both in Detroit or M-6 on the South Beltline of Grand Rapids. A two lane US or state highway most of the time will be 55 mph, there are some that are 65 mph though, closest example to me is US-127 between Ithaca and St. Johns. If a freeway isn't 70 mph it'll probably be 55 mph.

Even those 55 mph sections are very short in length, and mostly confined to the areas near downtown Detroit.  IIRC, it's I-94 from about Greenfield to 9 Mile, I-96 east of the Ford, I-75 from the Rouge to the Ford, M-10 from 8 Mile on in, I-375 (of course), the Davison, and the Southfield.  That said, the 55 mph limit is widely ignored.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

michravera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2018, 10:51:42 PM
70 MPH is the highest speed limit in California.  In the case of CA 99 and US 101 they essentially match the 65-70 MPH speed zones that the Interstates carry. 
Same with CASRs 58 and 14. I thought that I saw 70 MPH on one of the other East-West CASRs (perhaps 198 or 152), but I can't remember where or for how long and it has been a while. By way of contrast, I-80 is not currently posted for 70 MPH at all (before 1974, it was posted 70 MPH from West Sacramento roughly to the Carquinez Bridge).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: michravera on January 10, 2019, 10:09:38 AM
70 MPH is the highest speed limit in California.  In the case of CA 99 and US 101 they essentially match the 65-70 MPH speed zones that the Interstates carry. 
Same with CASRs 58 and 14. I thought that I saw 70 MPH on one of the other East-West CASRs (perhaps 198 or 152), but I can't remember where or for how long and it has been a while. By way of contrast, I-80 is not currently posted for 70 MPH at all (before 1974, it was posted 70 MPH from West Sacramento roughly to the Carquinez Bridge).
is I-80 to mountainous to be 70 in the mountains?

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 10, 2019, 01:27:58 PM

Maybe for California.  For some reason, Colorado has no issue with I-70 that way.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 10, 2019, 01:27:58 PM

I would definitely say the terrain is solid enough between Auburn and Donner Summit to be 70 MPH. 

US 101 has a couple 70 zones, south of King City comes to mind. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.