News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OFFICIAL: KDOT Secretary Richard Carlson leaving; Interim Secretary named

Started by route56, January 08, 2019, 02:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

The Secretary of Transportation serves as the pleasure of the Governor. Given that the incoming Governor voted against confirming him while she was a senator, it was a foregone conclusion that current Secretary Richard (not-N9JIG) Carlson would be leaving office. A blog post made this morning has now confirmed it.

http://kansastransportation.blogspot.com/2019/01/transportation-secretary-richard.html

No word yet on whom Governor-elect Kelly will nominate as the next Secretary of Transportation.
EDIT: See update below
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

UPDATE! An interim secretary has been named.

Quote from: AP
(Governor-elect Laura) Kelly also announced Wednesday that she is naming Julie Lorenz of Lenexa as interim transportation secretary.

Lorenz is a senior strategic consultant for the Kansas City engineering, planning and architectural firm Burns & McDonnell. She previously led strategic planning for the Kansas Department of Transportation.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

I think (and a quick Google search appears to confirm) that Lorenz was in charge of the Economic Lifelines lobbying group for a couple of years in the early 2010's.  On the whole, I think she is a good choice if Kelly would like to make the interim appointment permanent, since with T-WORKS coming to a close and KDOT on course to lose its ability to match federal funds fully in the next few years, strong advocacy will be required.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.