News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2017, 11:00:32 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 21, 2017, 06:47:11 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 20, 2017, 10:46:14 PM
Passed this yesterday on I-95 (we were in the express lanes, but they weren't moving much better than the regular lanes were) and I liked the "Halloween" feel of the way the characters were deteriorating.

Based on the most recent re-signing project along I-95 in Miami-Dade, that sign can't be more than 2-3 years old.

Not saying that disqualifies it from the thread, but even for Florida, that's some serious deterioration or a manufacturing flaw.

That sign would have looked a lot different if the photo had been taken from behind a clean windshield.  :-D

We were riding with my brother-in-law. Not much I could do about it!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Found this today at a Cracker Barrel near Winston-Salem, NC:

steviep24

Crosspost from the "CT's Defunct I-86" thread.

freebrickproductions

Found this old (1950s?) US 31 shield on CR 59 in Verbena, AL recently:
Old US 31 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 04, 2017, 09:23:15 PM
Found this old (1950s?) US 31 shield on CR 59 in Verbena, AL recently:

I've been trying to get back to that one for about a year now! Saw it when driving in the rain with kids in the car...

countysigns

Quote from: jakeroot on July 02, 2017, 09:22:47 PM
The Exit 209 sign looks excellent, but the other two are quickly losing their "best-of" status (if the peeling means anything to anyone else).

Which reminds me: does a damaged or worn sign, with something like button copy or a unique state-named shield, still count as best-of?

I remember seeing (on another thread) some NJ Turnpike signage where the black paint was fading off, and revealing the green below it. I thought it looked like shit but I was berated heavily for claiming as much.
Unfortunately, these button-copy signs are history.  They were replaced a few months ago on a sign rehab job by ODOT.  Not too many button-copy signs left on the freeways in Toledo anymore :(

jakeroot

Quote from: countysigns on December 04, 2017, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 02, 2017, 09:22:47 PM
The Exit 209 sign looks excellent, but the other two are quickly losing their "best-of" status (if the peeling means anything to anyone else).

Which reminds me: does a damaged or worn sign, with something like button copy or a unique state-named shield, still count as best-of?

I remember seeing (on another thread) some NJ Turnpike signage where the black paint was fading off, and revealing the green below it. I thought it looked like shit but I was berated heavily for claiming as much.

Unfortunately, these button-copy signs are history.  They were replaced a few months ago on a sign rehab job by ODOT.  Not too many button-copy signs left on the freeways in Toledo anymore :(

I know the pain. WSDOT replaced the last overhead button-copy guide sign about a year ago: https://goo.gl/bqb4ih (this is the old sign).

formulanone

This old blue US 11 sign is still standing in Mississippi, as of yesterday:

formulanone

Nobody found anything interesting in the past 3 months? Too focused on bad signs?

As of last week, Memphis still has two of these ancient relics side-by-side, though they're almost unreadable:

US71

Quote from: formulanone on March 11, 2018, 11:28:02 AM
Nobody found anything interesting in the past 3 months? Too focused on bad signs?

As of last week, Memphis still has two of these ancient relics side-by-side, though they're almost unreadable:

I saw those when I went to the Birmingham Meet. TNDOT needs to replace them. I'll even help dispose of the faded ones ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

freebrickproductions

I've got a bit of Button-copy from Gadsden that I have yet to post.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 89

This is one of the last button-copy signs in Utah:

It’s on southbound US-89 right before the Beck Street interchange north of Salt Lake City.

HTM Duke

The talk about the difference between DEAD END and NO OUTLET signs in another thread made me recall this sign, located on US-220 Business at the Madison, NC / Mayodan, NC line:
https://goo.gl/maps/PXhCJYaZB8t

And a couple more advisory signs to finish things off:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/NGE1113/Sign%201.png
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/NGE1113/Sign%202.png
Pardon the paranoia, but VDOT generally replaces signage before it reaches any type of vintage, and I really don't want to give the locations away.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

Max Rockatansky

Revisited some CA 136 photos from last year and thought that this one deserved some merit:

IMG_2029 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Scott5114

Excellent photography, but the signs are pretty standard for California. The digits on the 395 are compressed a bit, and that End plate is about half as tall as it should be (both qualifying for the Design Errors thread).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2018, 05:41:26 AMExcellent photography, but the signs are pretty standard for California. The digits on the 395 are compressed a bit, and that End plate is about half as tall as it should be (both qualifying for the Design Errors thread).

I have driven a large chunk of the southern part of US 395 in California and I don't think I have seen an independent-mount US 395 shield that didn't have compressed Series D digits.

The End plate actually used is designed for use with (IIRC) recreational/cultural interest signs; I'm not finding it in a casual search of Caltrans' sign specs and suspect it was jettisoned sometime in the mid-noughties when Caltrans purged all sign specs that were considered duplicative of Standard Highway Signs.  The correct tab for this application, G57, is still considered valid, presumably because Caltrans' letter series and size options allow for longer reading distances.  (Caltrans specifies 9 in or 10 in in Series C; federal M4-6 specifies 6 in or 8 in in Series D; assuming nominal unit legibilities of 50 ft/in for Series D and 42 ft/in for Series C, this gives reading distances of 378 ft and 420 ft for the Caltrans options and 300 ft and 400 ft for the federal options.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 19, 2018, 10:19:34 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2018, 05:41:26 AMExcellent photography, but the signs are pretty standard for California. The digits on the 395 are compressed a bit, and that End plate is about half as tall as it should be (both qualifying for the Design Errors thread).

I have driven a large chunk of the southern part of US 395 in California and I don't think I have seen an independent-mount US 395 shield that didn't have compressed Series D digits.

The End plate actually used is designed for use with (IIRC) recreational/cultural interest signs; I'm not finding it in a casual search of Caltrans' sign specs and suspect it was jettisoned sometime in the mid-noughties when Caltrans purged all sign specs that were considered duplicative of Standard Highway Signs.  The correct tab for this application, G57, is still considered valid, presumably because Caltrans' letter series and size options allow for longer reading distances.  (Caltrans specifies 9 in or 10 in in Series C; federal M4-6 specifies 6 in or 8 in in Series D; assuming nominal unit legibilities of 50 ft/in for Series D and 42 ft/in for Series C, this gives reading distances of 378 ft and 420 ft for the Caltrans options and 300 ft and 400 ft for the federal options.)

Pretty much all the cut-out US Route shields in California have that compressed numeral look.  The 395 I have in my stash in the garage essentially is exactly the same:

395USd by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

As far as End placards go you're guess is probably way more accurate than mine.  The standards for End placards varies wildly through the state and depending on the Caltrans district they might not even be present at all.

roadfro

NDOT has also used the "half-height" END (and BEGIN) placards frequently in the past–especially in district 2/northwest Nevada (there's quite a few around Fallon). They also tend to be mounted below the shield instead of the typical spot above.

However I have not seen these on any new installations within the last decade or so.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kkt

That looks like a very typical 3dus Caltrans sign, and I give them five stars.  The US highway signs painted on a rectangular panel in other states just make me sad.

jakeroot

I don't know when it was installed, but WSDOT has also used that half-height end/begin tab (note that in the example below, the WA-525 shield fell off the sign)...

formulanone

Still standing in Chicago, as of last week:

Eth

A couple interesting things there: the "65" clearly looks like a patch, though I'm not sure what number that could be covering (especially since it has the INDIANA state name, so presumably it's not, say, 57). Some of the shields also appear to have been moved at some point, as you can see outlines of previous locations behind both the 80 and the 90.

formulanone

I tried to get a close-up of the patch, but it was blurry; this one sort of shows it in better detail. I couldn't tell by looking at it in person. I'm convinced the I-65 shield was a complete afterthought.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 11, 2018, 07:30:18 PM
This is, to my knowledge, the last button-copy sign in Utah:

It's on southbound US-89 right before the Beck Street interchange north of Salt Lake City.

Wasn't there a button copy sign still hanging on near the I-80?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7143002,-111.785947,3a,75y,230.65h,106.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFFxQxssOpXg0-PkYCDZpCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.