News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeeks and Weatherfans

Started by Alex, January 18, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

I'm one of those roadgeeks that also loves weather. I used to mark out for weather just as much as I did roads, but still love to follow hurricanes and severe weather. I've asked the same question on the twcclassics.com board and found several familiar names from the road circuits. So how many of you share the same interest?  :D

FWIW Thunderstorms are my favorite aspect of weather. Its like a free show courtesy of mother nature.

Ian

i love all kinds of weather. i especially love snow  ;D. i love to snowboard and sled thats why  ;D. i love it when I am up at my New Hampshire lake house and there is a big thunderstorm. I am looking out onto the lake and seeing the lightning bults and seeing the rain hit the water. Also seeing thunder/lightning storms at my house is also nice. Its all nice till the power goes out  :-[.

i.c.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

weatherdude

Saying that "I love weather" wouldn't begin to scratch the surface. Just look at my name.  ;D

rawr apples

I miss Midwestern weather.. Nothing beats a good one tornado warning with some hail and thunder here and there :)

Then I move to Portland where it only rains..sigh
That said I keep track of the weather over there, then I miss it like crazy
Now shut up and drivee

deathtopumpkins

I hate weather... probably because I live in coastal Virginia. It rains every 3 months or so, and is in the 100s in summer and the 10s in winter... with nothing in between.  >:(

And then there's hurricanes. Which I must say I do enjoy. Nothing like climbing over that big tree across the road trying to venture out to the grocery store.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

FLRoads

As aaroads knows, I am also a huge weather fan.  I've loved different facets of weather, from tornadoes to hurricanes, ever since I was a kid.

Though I've lived in Florida all my life, I have only gone through one major hurricane, and that was Charley back in 2004.  Being only 10 miles from the eye wall was both awesome and scary at the same time.  The wind was so strong you could feel the concrete vibrate beneath you!  It was intense. 

Wikigav

Your lucky to get such severe stroms, i am so jealous of you guys. I live to south for Cyclone and only get the occasion 120k (roughly 90mph) wind storm and hail.

When i was younger i used to hate thunderstorm and lightning and hide, no i love after a hot day when the clouds start building in the south west because it means a possibly southerly buster which always creates beautiful thunderstorms. I love looking out from my house over the vallley and watch the lighning crack over the distant tree cover hills.

SSOWorld

Yeah I'm a weather freak.  I go whacko when a storm passes through :party:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

us44mt

I tune into the Weather Channel often as I like to know what is going on all through the country. I was once in a rare northeast tornado that did quite a bit of damage to our place.

Speaking of TWC, how could they get rid of Dave Schwartz, their best OCM? He added some life to the channel whenever he was on.

Alex

Quote from: us44mt on January 20, 2009, 07:19:32 AM
I tune into the Weather Channel often as I like to know what is going on all through the country. I was once in a rare northeast tornado that did quite a bit of damage to our place.

Speaking of TWC, how could they get rid of Dave Schwartz, their best OCM? He added some life to the channel whenever he was on.

I was a die-hard TWC fan from 1986 through to the early 2000s. My interest has waned since the late 1990s as they continue to make changes that dumb-down the glitz the programming. It gets worse there every year...

When NBC-Universal took over last year, they decided to make a round of cuts at Thanksgiving, and Dave was one of the most unfortunate casualties. He was one of the few reasons that I'd actually still tune in. Nowadays I get all of my weather info from the 'net.

us44mt

The local forecasts on the 8's are getting much worse. I know that predicting snowfall amounts is not an exact science, but calling for 1 inch and receiving 6 like what happened Sunday is quite ridiculous.

deathtopumpkins

Well they've been calling for 2 inches here per day over the past week and we only saw a flurry once. About an hour ago. Otherwise the skies have been blue the whole time. Though apparently the city government watches, because they closed all schools and government offices and salted the roads...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

Quote from: us44mt on January 20, 2009, 12:33:15 PM
The local forecasts on the 8's are getting much worse. I know that predicting snowfall amounts is not an exact science, but calling for 1 inch and receiving 6 like what happened Sunday is quite ridiculous.

Thats what happens when you provide local forecasts for across the country from Atlanta...  :pan:

Scott5114

Living in Oklahoma you pretty much have to know something about the weather, lest a tornado send an I-240 shield careening into your spleen when you're not paying attention.

When I was a kid I watched two things on TV. The Price Is Right and the Weather Channel. I loved the WeatherStar 4000. Miss it so much...the Intellistar just doesn't have the same charm. I have the 4000 Emulator on my Windows computer and like to mess around with it when I have time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

I need to reinstall the emulator on my computer; used to use it all the time.

barcncpt44

I loved watching the weather channel all the time when i was younger, now not as much and i also love the weather coverage the birmingham tv stations do whenever severe weather comes in the area.  I also just love roads alot too.  My favorite is to stand at a traffic light intersection and watch the traffic and lights.

There is a good weather forum, the address is talkweather.com

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

jgb191

I majored in meteorology in college....I'd love to go back and complete it being just a handful of courses away from graduating with a B.S.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Chris

I'm also interested in weather, but only severe weather, I don't watch the everyday forecast, but I follow a Dutch/Belgian weatherforum if any bad weather is coming up, like snowfall (that's severe weather in NL  :-P ), thunderstorms and regular storms.

But the Netherlands is not that interesting, weatherwise, Germany is way better if you like severe weather like snow, tornados and hurricane-force winds. I also monitor the Atlantic hurricane season.

SSOWorld

You should check out London right now  ;-)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Southern Illinois SKYWARN

I quite agree that TWC is a joke, but I like to use it every once in a while to maintain situational awareness across the entire country.  I am much more fascinated with weather than I am roads.  In fact, my fascination with weather lead me to also become a roadgeek.  As you can see from my user name, I am a SKYWARN spotter for the National Weather Service.  I am really hoping that there will be some severe wx. in the TX panhandle this afternoon so I can try out my new radar program.

lamsalfl

Dave Schwartz is gone?!?!  Disgusting.  Has anyone seen Abrams and Bettes?  Talk about dumbing down the weather.  I love following tropical weather.  As a roadgeek, I always liked turning on TWC when I get to my hotel room out of town and be like "damn, I travelled that far?!"   :cool:

us44mt

I see that Kristina Abernathy and Mark Mancuso, more longtime TWC OCM's are also now former Weather Channel OCM's. I wonder if they are layoff victims also. Too bad, I always liked listening to Kristna.   

PAHighways

I have a BS in Meteorology, and for a few weeks at the beginning of summer break, our profs and some of the students would head out to the Plains to stormchase.  It was a nice combination of being able to check out new locations and chasing storms.

People whom I went to school with would watch TWC all of the time.  I only tune in when something is going on like a tornado outbreak or blizzard.

djracer201

I do have an interest in Meteorology, I am always paying attention when severe weather or hurricanes are going on.

I did find something really cool from our local NWS site - its an Warning Decision Simulator - you have to decide when to issue warnings and you gain or lose points based on your decisions.

You can go to it here - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/HotSeat/index.shtml

wandering drive

Quote from: aaroads on January 22, 2009, 01:33:56 PM
I need to reinstall the emulator on my computer; used to use it all the time.

(Retro TWC graphics)
Wow, that brings me back.  Thanks!

I, too, have a BS in Meteorology, but right now, all it's been good for is being able to interpret the NWS sites and various models. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.