News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

thank goodness they aren't using the boring CR XXX X scheme, and are giving the roads real names.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 07, 2018, 06:38:56 PM
thank goodness they aren't using the boring CR XXX X scheme, and are giving the roads real names.

Monroe County doesn't number its roads.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

tdindy88

It's kind of hard to have a county road grid system when your county has the terrain of Monroe County.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 07, 2018, 09:47:15 PM
It's kind of hard to have a county road grid system when your county has the terrain of Monroe County.

I'm not sure any county in southern Indiana uses the grid system.  Far more practical in the northern, flatland half of the state.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Life in Paradise

Gibson County roads are in more of a grid than some of the other counties in the area. 

silverback1065

i think the only counties in the north that don't do the number system are: Hamilton, Marion, Lake, St. Joseph, Elkhart, and Allen.  side note, i think it's weird that Elkhart isn't the county seat of the county that shares its name!

jnewkirk77

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on May 07, 2018, 11:32:49 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 07, 2018, 09:47:15 PM

I'm not sure any county in southern Indiana uses the grid system.  Far more practical in the northern, flatland half of the state.

Actually, most do use a grid, except for Perry (terrain) and Vanderburgh.

Life in Paradise

Pike County has a basic grid.  Warrick and Posey County have numbers assigned, but they are not posted.  They mostly go by road names.

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 08, 2018, 06:13:13 PM
i think the only counties in the north that don't do the number system are: Hamilton, Marion, Lake, St. Joseph, Elkhart, and Allen.  side note, i think it's weird that Elkhart isn't the county seat of the county that shares its name!
At least Elkhart being in the county of the same name makes sense. Unlike the city of Marion not being in Marion County, Madison not being in Madison County, and Jeffersonville not being in Jefferson County.

BTW, Monroe County DID once have numbered county roads, but because of the aforementioned problem of hilly terrain making them not fit into a proper grid, the county gave them all names at some point. Not sure exactly when that happened, but it was long before I went to IU back in the mid-1970s. You can still see references to the former names on some older printed maps, and even on a few online ones. For example, the N-S part of Sample Rd was Co Rd 50 E, Mel Curry Rd used to be Co Rd 500 E, and Tapp Rd was once Co Rd 200 S. Ironically, the busy part of the SR 37 "bypass" (soon to be I-69) between 3rd St/Whitehall Pike & Tapp Road sits almost exactly on the alignment of what would have been Co Rd 200 W and to this day is the dividing line between Bloomington Township and Van Buren Township.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on May 07, 2018, 04:21:58 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on April 30, 2018, 11:15:29 PM
Does anyone know if names have been assigned to the frontage and local access roads of Section 5? Some incorporate/replace pre-existing roads, so I'm wondering if those names will be used and for what stretches of pavement. To be unambiguous, I will list them below, in sections that may or may not be given the same name:

#1 - Frontage Rd East [Conneaught to Sample]:
section #1a: from Conneaught Rd, past Ellis Rd, past Showers Rd (realigned), past Wylie Rd, to Purcell Rd
section #1b: along pre-existing Purcell Rd
section #1c: from Purcell Rd, then curving right, to pre-existing Wayport Rd (near former S jct w/SR 37)
section #1d: along pre-existing Wayport Rd
section #1e: from Wayport Rd (south of gas station near former N jct w/SR 37) to Sample Rd (East roundabout)

Earlier today I spoke with the Monroe County Public Work Department, and here's what I learned.

#1 - Frontage Rd East [Conneaught Rd to Sample] – from Conneaught Rd north, all the way to the tie in at Chambers Pike, will be signed N. Wayport Road
#2 - Frontage Rd West [Charlie Taylor to Sample] – N. Thompson Ridge Road
#3 - Frontage Rd East [Sample to Chambers] – will be, as mentioned above, N. Wayport Road
#4 - Frontage Rd West [Simpson Chapel to Burma] – W. Burma Road
#5 - Access Rd: between Sparks Ln (E of I-69/SR 37) & Chambers Pk – E. Sparks Lane

It looks like (from the map that was emailed to me) that N. Crossover Road will be re-signed E. Chambers Pike., with termination at the intersection with W. Burma Road. The driveway to Oliver Winery, off of N. Wayport Rd., will be designated E. Winery Road.

As the other frontage roads are located in Morgan County, I have no further info about those at this time.

Quote from: SSR_317 on April 30, 2018, 11:15:29 PMAlso, does anyone know if the soon to be completed NB ramps will connect to Sample Rd at a 3rd roundabout, or will that connection be a standard intersection?

It will be a roundabout. Here's the design layout of the interchange:

Many thanks, ITB! Winery Rd has actually been signed for years, though some maps erroneously call it Duxbury Dr. That dead-end street splits from Winery Rd a few feet east of the former junction with SR 37, along with Thames Dr (which goes south from that intersection as well).

It's rather ironic that the Crossover Rd name will go away, now that it will literally "cross over" the highway. But it makes far more sense to just re-sign it as Chambers Pike, which it became at the median centerline of SR 37 heading north anyway.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 08, 2018, 06:13:13 PM

Elkhart does number their county roads, but they don't use they directional system commonly found in other counties.  They number county roads with even numbers for E-W roads progressing from north to south and with odd numbers for N-S roads progressing from east to west.

St. Joseph doesn't number any of its county roads.  Marshall county does not number N-S roads.  E-W roads are numbered based on the number of miles south of the St. Joseph county lines, with lettered suffixes A-C indicating quarters of a mile (9C road is 9 3/4 miles south of the county line)

Hamilton County doesn't number N-S roads but E-W roads are numbered as an extension of Indy's street numbering system, running from 96th St to 296th St.

Gary's Avenue numbering system for E-W streets extends out to county roads in Lake County. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SSR_317

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 09, 2018, 05:22:01 PM
Elkhart does number their county roads, but they don't use they directional system commonly found in other counties.  They number county roads with even numbers for E-W roads progressing from north to south and with odd numbers for N-S roads progressing from east to west.
DeKalb County uses the same system as Elkhart County. Ohio & Switzerland Counties also do not use the grid system (again, terrain). Washington county appears to have only a couple or roads that use the "Co Rd nnnn x" convention.

silverback1065

Per INDOT:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (May 13, 2018) — With construction continuing on the Tapp Road, 2nd Street and 3rd Street bridges, motorists can expect delays when driving cross town in Bloomington. Other east-west routes such as Fullterton Pike, Vernal Pike and SR 46 might be longer distances, but could reduce travel times.
Motorists traveling between Indianapolis and Bloomington and wishing to avoid potential delays on SR 37 are strongly encouraged to stay off of county roads and use the alternate routes of SR 135, I-65 and SR 67.
The following restrictions will be in place this week:
-   On Sunday, May 13 and Monday, May 14, traffic will be shifted to the outside lanes of both northbound and southbound SR 37 from just south of Rockport Road to the Vernal Pike overpass to allow paving operations to begin.  Paving will start on the inside lanes, and additional traffic shifts will occur next week as paving progresses.
-   The current traffic configuration on 2nd Street (SR 45) remains in place.  On Tuesday, May 15, law enforcement will assist with flagging operations at the intersection of 2nd Street and Liberty Drive for installation of new traffic signals.  Flagging will occur from noon until 4 p.m.
-   The traffic pattern on 3rd Street (SR 48) is scheduled to change on Tuesday, May 15.  Traffic will be shifted to the south side of the overpass, and there will be a daily closure of one westbound lane during this phase of construction.  Crews will be excavating for installation of MSE walls, removing pavement and preparing for installation of signals, lighting fixtures and sidewalks.
-   On Wednesday, May 16, law enforcement will assist with flagging operations at the intersection of 3rd Street and the southbound on and off ramps to SR 37 for the installation of new strand poles for traffic signals.  Flagging will take place from 2-4 p.m.
-   On Saturday, May 19, law enforcement will assist with flagging operations at the intersection of 3rd Street and the northbound on and off ramps to SR 37 for the installation of new strand poles for traffic signals.  The flagging will be in place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
-   There will be daily single lane restrictions on both northbound and southbound SR 37 from Sample Road to the Walnut Street interchange on and off ramps.  The restrictions are needed for paving operations and to make improvements to median drains.

-   The right lane of northbound SR 37 from Fox Hollow Road to Chambers Pike will be closed to make outside shoulder improvements and to allow for additional drainage work. 
The single lane configuration in the northern section of the I-69 Section 5 work zone remains in place.  Motorists are reminded to stay in their travel lane, and that the center lane is only for turns at specified locations.
The speed limit throughout the entire work zone remains 45 miles per hour.  Motorists are urged to leave ample space between vehicles and to be aware of changing traffic conditions.
All construction activity is weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change.

ITB

Here's a few pictures of the Tapp Road/State Road 37 work zone in Bloomington. Photos were taken May 14, 2018, unless other noted. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc.

Tapp Road interchange

The view of the future I-69/Tapp Road overpass and interchange in Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana; looking southeast. Both the southbound entrance and exit ramps were recently paved. Crews are working to complete the western roundabout and the approach road to the overpass.

Slightly closer look at the Tapp Road overpass and the work underway; looking southeast.

[/url]
The southbound exit ramp to Tapp Road and the point where it will link into the roundabout; looking south.

Close up look of the Tapp Road overpass and a team at work; looking southeast.

Looking north from near the Tapp Road overpass toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69). In the background is the State Road 45/Bloomfield Road overpass.

The Tapp Road lead up to the western roundabout and overpass; looking east. Photo was taken May 13, 2018.

Here's the opposite view of Tapp Road and the roundabout approach; looking west. May 13, 2018.

Few more to come.

Edit: swapped out a photo for a similar but better image

ITB

As the above photos depict, the interchange at Tapp Road is nearing completion. The interchange is scheduled to open by Memorial Day, May 28th, depending, of course, on the weather.

Here's a few more pictures of the Tapp Road overpass and nearby work zone. Photos were taken Sunday, May 13, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

The deck of the Tapp Road overpass; looking east. Note the wide sidewalks.

The ornamental lighting and aesthetic railing treatment of the Tapp Road overpass; looking east. All the road overpasses crossing I-69 within the city limits of Bloomington will feature this lighting and railing treatment.

[/url]
Closer look of the railing; looking north.

Looking north toward State Road 37 and the SR 45 [Bloomfield Road]/SR 37 interchange from the Tapp Road overpass.

The view of SR 37 looking south from the Tapp Road overpass.

The Tapp Road overpass with an excavator in the foreground; looking southeast.

Another perspective of SR 37 looking north from near the Tapp Road overpass.

SR 37 and the future southbound entrance ramp from Tapp; looking slightly southeast.

Looking north toward SR 37 through the decorative railing of the Tapp Road overpass.

That's all for now.

Edit: grammar; minor wording change.

CtrlAltDel

As always ITB, wonderful pictures.

There's one thing that's been bothering me, though. In this picture, the noise wall bows out for a bit, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. From the satellite images, there seems to be nothing there that would require it.

Quote from: ITB on May 16, 2018, 10:04:09 PM
SR 37 and the future southbound entrance ramp from Tapp; looking slightly southeast.

I can never remember if slightly southeast means slightly south of east or slightly east of south.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rick Powell

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 18, 2018, 06:22:30 PM

There's one thing that's been bothering me, though. In this picture, the noise wall bows out for a bit, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. From the satellite images, there seems to be nothing there that would require it.

The one thing that comes to mind is some kind of underground utility junction (electric, water, sewer) that would have been more expensive to move back than to build a wall around. I remember a gas monitoring well on the original construction of I-39 in IL that cost 3/4 of a million to move, and that was in the late 80's.

Beltway

Box culvert under highway, with ends closer to the highway than the top of slopes?

The rip-rap on the left side is a giveaway, a treatment on the earthwork around the other end of the box culvert.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on May 16, 2018, 10:04:09 PM

I can never remember if slightly southeast means slightly south of east or slightly east of south.
Question 1: There is an unnamed (as far as I can determine) intermittent stream that runs from right to left under SR 37 at the point where the sound wall juts out (sources: USGS 4m map & FEIS project plan & profile).

Question 2: Since the photo is looking straight down the median barrier, you are looking S0° 29' 10"E (based on the FEIS plans).

silverback1065

News from INDOT:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (May 21, 2018) — As paving operations continue throughout the construction zone, motorists are cautioned that lane configurations will be changing with more frequency.  Some paving related lane restrictions can impact merge areas, and motorists are reminded that some entrance points to SR 37 are in Yield configuration rather than the regular merge condition.  Yield signs indicate that motorists should approach with caution, come to a complete stop if necessary and only continue onto the highway if the way is clear.
As construction continues on the Tapp Road, 2nd Street and 3rd Street bridges, motorists can expect delays when driving cross town in Bloomington. Other east-west routes such as Fullerton Pike, Vernal Pike and SR 46 might be longer distances, but could reduce travel times.
The following restrictions will be in place this week:
-   Paving operations will be in place all week on both northbound and southbound SR 37 from just south of Rockport Road to the Vernal Pike overpass.  Motorists are urged to be aware of changing traffic patterns.
-   The current traffic configuration on 2nd Street (SR 45) will remain in place the entire week.
-   The traffic pattern on 3rd Street (SR 48) will remain as is.  However, during periods of heavy traffic law enforcement officers will be on site to assist with traffic flow. Crews will be excavating for installation of MSE walls, removing pavement and preparing for installation of signals, lighting fixtures and sidewalks.
-   There will be daily single lane restrictions on both northbound and southbound SR 37 from Sample Road to the Walnut Street interchange on and off ramps.  The restrictions are needed for paving operations and to make improvements to median drains.
-   The right lane of northbound SR 37 from Fox Hollow Road to Chambers Pike will be closed to make outside shoulder improvements and to allow for additional drainage work.
-   The single lane configuration in the northern section of the I-69 Section 5 work zone remains in place.  Motorists are reminded to stay in their travel lane, and that the center lane is only for turns at specified locations.
-   On or after 5 p.m. Wednesday, access to SR 37 at both Legendary Drive and Godsey Road will be eliminated. To access southbound SR 37, motorists are directed to take the new access road south, through the Liberty Church interchange and down to Turkey Tracks West. To access northbound SR 37, motorists are directed to take the new access road south to the Liberty Church interchange, cross over the new bridge to Liberty Loop Road, follow Liberty Loop Road south and west to E. Hacker Creek Road, and then onto Old SR 37 South.
Motorists traveling between Indianapolis and Bloomington and wishing to avoid potential delays on SR 37 are strongly encouraged to stay off of county roads and use the alternate routes of SR 135, I-65 and SR 67. The speed limit throughout the entire work zone remains 45 miles per hour.  Motorists are urged to drive with no distractions, leave ample space between vehicles and to be aware of changing traffic conditions.
All construction activity is weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change.

SSR_317

Any news on the names for the frontage roads in Morgan County? From the INDOT press release mentioned above, I would think that the west one north of Liberty Church Rd would use the Legendary Dr name, since it will function as a continuation of that street. South of that point, it could be either Godsey Rd (to the point where that arterial gets cut off, then Turkey Track Rd south of there), or Turkey Track Rd the rest of the way. Looks like the eastern frontage road is not yet ready, given the long detour mentioned for NB access, but that could be simply because the interchange ramps are not going to be opened tomorrow when the access cut-off is scheduled.

ITB

Quote from: SSR_317 on May 22, 2018, 01:55:09 PM
Any news on the names for the frontage roads in Morgan County? From the INDOT press release mentioned above, I would think that the west one north of Liberty Church Rd would use the Legendary Dr name, since it will function as a continuation of that street. South of that point, it could be either Godsey Rd (to the point where that arterial gets cut off, then Turkey Track Rd south of there), or Turkey Track Rd the rest of the way. Looks like the eastern frontage road is not yet ready, given the long detour mentioned for NB access, but that could be simply because the interchange ramps are not going to be opened tomorrow when the access cut-off is scheduled.

Apparently, the process of naming the local access roads in Morgan County is still ongoing. I called the Morgan County Highway Department, and they referred me to INDOT. So I reached out to the Section 5 office, and they said the naming of the frontage roads is a local decision and suggested I contact the Morgan County Planning and Zoning office. When I did that, the woman I spoke with didn't think the roads had been named yet, and the individual who would know was out of the office until next Tuesday. Sometime next week I'll ring them up again to see what's to be learned.

In other news from my conversation with the Section 5 office, the Tapp Road overpass and interchange opening date has been pushed back one week to Friday, June 1. The interchange at Sample Road is scheduled to be fully open by June 6, depending on the weather. In Morgan County, the northbound mainline bridges over Little Indian Creek and Jordan Creek have had their deck pours. Crews are now working on approach slabs and railings. The Liberty Church overpass is now open to frontage road traffic to cross over SR 37. To access SR 37 southbound, local traffic is being directed to the SR 37/Turkey Track Rd access point south of the interchange. That means the interchange's southbound on and off ramps have yet to open, and it's possible they will remain sealed off until northbound traffic, currently running on a southbound lane of SR 37, is switched back to the northbound roadway. That's likely to happen sometime in June.

To clarify, as I neglected to ask about the Liberty Church interchange's southbound ramps during my conversation with the Section 5 office, the part in the above paragraph which states "it's possible they will remain sealed off until northbound traffic, currently running on a southbound lane of SR 37, is switched back to the northbound roadway" is conjecture on my part. Whether these ramps will be opened before the lane switch occurs, I am not knowledgeable, but for reasons of safety, I'm inclined to think they won't be, even if a Yield sign is temporarily installed at the end of the on-ramp.

Edit: added the  "to clarify" paragraph

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on May 23, 2018, 09:59:41 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on May 22, 2018, 01:55:09 PM

Apparently, the process of naming the local access roads in Morgan County is still ongoing. I called the Morgan County Highway Department, and they referred me to INDOT. So I reached out to the Section 5 office, and they said the naming of the frontage roads is a local decision and suggested I contact the Morgan County Planning and Zoning office. When I did that, the woman I spoke with didn't think the roads had been named yet, and the individual who would know was out of the office until next Tuesday. Sometime next week I'll ring them up again to see what's to be learned.

In other news from my conversation with the Section 5 office, the Tapp Road overpass and interchange opening date has been pushed back one week to Friday, June 1. The interchange at Sample Road is scheduled to be fully open by June 6, depending on the weather. In Morgan County, the northbound mainline bridges over Little Indian Creek and Jordan Creek have had their deck pours. Crews are now working on approach slabs and railings. The Liberty Church overpass is now open to frontage road traffic to cross over SR 37. To access SR 37 southbound, local traffic is being directed to the SR 37/Turkey Track Rd access point south of the interchange. That means the interchange's southbound on and off ramps have yet to open, and it's possible they will remain sealed off until northbound traffic, currently running on a southbound lane of SR 37, is switched back to the northbound roadway. That's likely to happen sometime in June.

To clarify, as I neglected to ask about the Liberty Church interchange's southbound ramps during my conversation with the Section 5 office, the part in the above paragraph which states "it's possible they will remain sealed off until northbound traffic, currently running on a southbound lane of SR 37, is switched back to the northbound roadway" is conjecture on my part. Whether these ramps will be opened before the lane switch occurs, I am not knowledgeable, but for reasons of safety, I'm inclined to think they won't be, even if a Yield sign is temporarily installed at the end of the on-ramp.

Edit: added the  "to clarify" paragraph
Thanks again for the updates!

So I guess the Morgan County residents using the newly-opened frontage roads are singing as they drive... ♫I drove through the farmland on a road with no name, it felt good to drive out of the way.♫  :D

silverback1065

More news courtesy of INDOT:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (May 31, 2018) — The Tapp Road interchange is scheduled to open to traffic tomorrow, June 1, at 8 p.m. All travel lanes and on and off ramps will be unrestricted. The interchange will open with temporary pavement markings that will be replaced with permanent striping on Monday, June 4, under flagging operations.
Mainline paving continues on SR 37 from south of Rockport Road to the Vernal Pike overpass, which may temporarily place ramps to SR 37 from Fullerton Pike, Tapp Road, 2nd Street and 3rd Street in a Yield condition. Motorists are reminded that Yield signs indicate a driver should approach with caution, come to a complete stop if necessary and only continue onto the highway if the way is clear.
The opening of the Tapp Road interchange is expected to alleviate some of the east-west traffic congestion caused by lane restrictions on the 2nd Street and 3rd Street bridges.  Motorists are encouraged to use Fullerton Pike, Tapp Road, Vernal Pike and SR 46 for cross town trips.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 31, 2018, 03:02:19 PM
More news courtesy of INDOT:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (May 31, 2018) — The Tapp Road interchange is scheduled to open to traffic tomorrow, June 1, at 8 p.m. All travel lanes and on and off ramps will be unrestricted. The interchange will open with temporary pavement markings that will be replaced with permanent striping on Monday, June 4, under flagging operations.
Mainline paving continues on SR 37 from south of Rockport Road to the Vernal Pike overpass, which may temporarily place ramps to SR 37 from Fullerton Pike, Tapp Road, 2nd Street and 3rd Street in a Yield condition. Motorists are reminded that Yield signs indicate a driver should approach with caution, come to a complete stop if necessary and only continue onto the highway if the way is clear.
The opening of the Tapp Road interchange is expected to alleviate some of the east-west traffic congestion caused by lane restrictions on the 2nd Street and 3rd Street bridges.  Motorists are encouraged to use Fullerton Pike, Tapp Road, Vernal Pike and SR 46 for cross town trips.

That was fast.   The Tapp Road interchange construction was only started a year ago...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.