Street Luminaries

Started by KEK Inc., August 01, 2011, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

What type of street lights do you prefer?  I grew up in California and Washington, so I prefer the cutoff American Electric Lighting 325 cobrahead series.  

The AEL-325 (shown above) is pretty common nowadays as well as the Hubbell-RMC(shown below).

Interestingly enough for the interest of observatories, certain cities including San Jose, Redwood City, East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Campbell, San Diego, Escondinido, Carlsbad, Hilo, HI, and Springfield, OR, utilize sodium vapor lamps to attempt to reduce light pollution.  I've seen some in the wild in the Portland, OR, post office.  

AEL-SP2

AEL-SRX
Take the road less traveled.

roadfro

Growing up in Nevada, the Cobrahead series is used almost everywhere, in both standard and cutoff versions. Cutoffs are used almost exclusively on traffic signal pole luminaries, except in Reno where they've been retrofitted with LED fixtures for a cost-saving measure.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Cobraheads are pretty much the standard lighting for the entire country.  Recently, LED lighting from a Chinese company have been used in California.  I noticed some LED streetlighting on CA-85 and all of the weigh stations in the Bay Area seem to be using them.  The Sodium Vapor lamps are really only used in areas that require lower light pollution.  I know in some other countries in Central and South America use them too. 

Cutoffs are pretty much used all the time in California and Washington.  Frankly, I think they look better.  The domes look awful, and they really don't add much light to the road in my opinion.  They're more useful I suppose as a beacon in flat rural areas, but that's about it.  I think it's not really necessary in urban areas.  I did notice that it's rare for Nevada to have the standard domes on traffic poles.  I think newer streetlamps in many states use cutoffs, though.  I noticed that Oregon is using cutoffs for many of the newer streetlights. 

roadfro

The domes seem to emit more radiant light up from the street as compared to the cutoffs, which focus the light more downward. Domes are fairly standard in urban Nevada, with cutoffs really only used in places where there is a desire to cut down on light pollution--rural areas, and sometimes on major arterials so that not as much light bleeds into the adjacent neighborhoods. I have seen in some newer areas that the cutoffs seem to be used a bit more.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

myosh_tino

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 01, 2011, 07:55:55 PM
Interestingly enough for the interest of observatories, certain cities including San Jose, Redwood City, East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Campbell, San Diego, Escondinido, Carlsbad, Hilo, HI, and Springfield, OR, utilize sodium vapor lamps to attempt to reduce light pollution.  I've seen some in the wild in the Portland, OR, post office.  
Sodium Vapor lamps are slowly being fazed out in a number of cities in Santa Clara County including San Jose.  They are being replaced with energy efficient LED street lights.  Caltrans is also experimenting with the LED streetlights at the 880-101 interchange in San Jose and the 280-85 interchange in Cupertino.

The new LED lamps produce a whiter light and doesn't distort colors (of cars, clothing, etc) like the older sodium vapor lamps.  The Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton, which pushed for sodium vapor as a means of reducing light pollution, has reportedly OK'd the use of the LED lamps.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 01, 2011, 09:38:57 PM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 01, 2011, 07:55:55 PM
Interestingly enough for the interest of observatories, certain cities including San Jose, Redwood City, East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Campbell, San Diego, Escondinido, Carlsbad, Hilo, HI, and Springfield, OR, utilize sodium vapor lamps to attempt to reduce light pollution.  I've seen some in the wild in the Portland, OR, post office. 
Sodium Vapor lamps are slowly being fazed out in a number of cities in Santa Clara County including San Jose.  They are being replaced with energy efficient LED street lights.  Caltrans is also experimenting with the LED streetlights at the 880-101 interchange in San Jose and the 280-85 interchange in Cupertino.

The new LED lamps produce a whiter light and doesn't distort colors (of cars, clothing, etc) like the older sodium vapor lamps.  The Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton, which pushed for sodium vapor as a means of reducing light pollution, has reportedly OK'd the use of the LED lamps.

I am personally used to the amber glow of cities over the white light.  I also prefer the design of the AEL streetlamps over the Chinese brand (I forgot the exact name of the company).  I know Hubbell has LED versions of the mainstream RCL models that they use, but I haven't seen them in the wild yet. 

thenetwork

I used to love the old, square florescent lights that would line a city street.

One of the last remaining sections that I could remember used to straddle about a half-mile section of OH-120/Central Avenue in Toledo between Jackman & Monroe Avenues, near Toledo Hospital.  I believe they survived into the early 90s.

I believe the only drawbacks to those oldies was that the florescent lights had to be placed closer together to equal the coverage areas of the cobra heads, and the cost to operate them & to replace the tubes was much more than their modern-day predecessors.

But I gotta say, it was an awesome display to cruise through at the time.

KEK Inc.

Do you have any pictures of them?  Are you sure they're not sodium vapor lamps? 

There are some relic sodium vapor lamps existing in Hanford, WA, probably circa the 70s or 80s.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hanford,+wa&ll=46.479955,-119.392548&spn=0,0.937958&gl=us&t=h&z=11&layer=c&cbll=46.480211,-119.392575&panoid=5raGZpYgDVojEGLsSv7YjA&cbp=12,214.18,,0,-12.15

thenetwork

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 02, 2011, 02:33:13 AM
Do you have any pictures of them?  Are you sure they're not sodium vapor lamps? 

Positive.  The closest example I could find on the fly was this youtube demo: 

It was pretty much the same concept as the lighted, overhead street blades you see in some city intersections.  Except I believe the street lamps used larger flourescent lights and were housed in a larger casing.

roadfro

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 01, 2011, 10:41:22 PM
I am personally used to the amber glow of cities over the white light.  ...

Do you know what type of bulbs are used in cobrahead fixtures to produce the amber light glow versus the whitish lights? I know of sodium vapor and mercury vapor lamps (and maybe one other), but have never known which produced what color of light.

myosh_tino

Quote from: roadfro on August 02, 2011, 04:41:22 PM
I am personally used to the amber glow of cities over the white light.  ...

Do you know what type of bulbs are used in cobrahead fixtures to produce the amber light glow versus the whitish lights? I know of sodium vapor and mercury vapor lamps (and maybe one other), but have never known which produced what color of light.
If memory serves me right, sodium vapor produces an orange light while mercury vapor produces a whiter light (a quick look on wikipedia confirms this). 

While San Jose's sodium vapor lamps looks very much like the ones in the last photo KEK posted, other cities like Cupertino retrofitted their cobrahead lamps with sodium vapor bulbs.  These same lamps have been retrofitted again with LED bulbs.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Duke87

I always loved mercury vapor lamps, but I haven't seen one lit up at night in years. They're utterly extinct around here.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I spotted this in Morning Sun, Ohio:

It's not often I slam my brakes to get a picture of something... for this, I did. I didn't see it at night so I can't say what sort of lamp was actually in there, but the fixture has the distinct look of an old MV fixture.

I like the cool blue of mercury vapor, it just fits with the night. The orange of high pressure sodium, meanwhile, is hideous - it clashes with the night. Newer metal halide fixtures (which are white) solve this problem, but still don't look as good as mercury vapor.

Of course, as time goes on, the orange HPS fixtures will go the way of the dodo as well. LED lights are generally white (though they can be made in any color), and eHID technology is also white.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KEK Inc.

hm insulators

Quote from: roadfro on August 02, 2011, 04:41:22 PM

Mercury vapor lamps produce the bluish-white light. They were nearly universal on streets in the '60s and '70s, but are almost extinct now (I see them on private property from time to time).

There are two kinds of sodium vapor lamps--high pressure sodium is by far the most common kind, with the really bright greenish-orangish-yellow light that I've always hated (the old mercury vapor lamps at least somewhat resembled moonlight), and low-pressure sodium used in a few cities such as San Diego, San Jose and Tucson, where they generate less light pollution for astronomical observatories such as Kitt Peak and Mt. Palomar.

As an astronomy fan, I welcome any reduction in light pollution. Even more important, newer cut-off fixtures direct the light downward where it's needed, instead of spilling uselessly up into the sky. (Why do we need to light the bellies of airplanes and owls?) As a result, smaller, low-wattage bulbs can be used in the fixtures, which reduces power consumption and saves lots of money in the long run. (That's the important thing--the money that is saved in this day and age when the economy is still in the toilet.)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

agentsteel53

there is a town on US-95 in Idaho (I believe between Weiser and the 95/55 junction) that had unphosphorized* mercury lighting (the blue glow) as late as 2006.

*the housings of mercury lights were coated with phosphorus, which absorbed the blue light and emitted red, thereby balancing the color more towards white.  usually the way to tell a phosphorized mercury light is from the air: the tops of the housings were open to the air, so the raw blue light went skyward. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 02, 2011, 02:33:13 AM
Do you have any pictures of them?  Are you sure they're not sodium vapor lamps?  

The Mass Pike I-90 used to have this type of lighting, with the long bulbs, but they were yellow!  As late as 1998 they were still there.

Also:
I like the old round type of bulb holders, like the first light on the left in this photo.  The CT Turnpike had yons of these back in the early 80s.
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NY19587901
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

KEK Inc.

When I went to Boston three years ago, I saw some on the Mass Pike in downtown.  

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=boston&hl=en&ll=42.347826,-71.070194&spn=0.004631,0.014656&gl=us&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=42.347826,-71.070194&panoid=e9zJHSKGDcNIYx3g6uI7xQ&cbp=12,292.16,,0,-2.83

They're still up on Google Maps.  

All of the long sodium-vapor lights emit red light when fired up and then turn yellow after about 5 minutes. 

I'm not sure what that exact model number is.  I'm pretty sure it's AEL.  Possibly SP1, but I don't know for sure.  I know it's phased out of production, since I haven't seen a new one anywhere really.  San Jose has used sodium vapor since the 60s, and it's apparent that the newer lights are SP2 for mainline roads.  Residential roads use the SRX, even to this day.  I haven't seen the ones that are used in the Mass Pike in roads newer than 1995. 

WolfGuy100

I remembered when I was kid, Lexington KY used to have THIS type of streetlights in some areas:

I tried to find one on Google Street View, but I think all of them has been replaced with regular Cobrahead streetlights.

BamaZeus

this one still exists (at least last time I was through there) on US82  just east of Centreville, AL.  Just west of there, on the edge of the town, they have normal, modern streetlamps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Centreville,+AL&hl=en&ll=32.940259,-87.127762&spn=0.069151,0.110378&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.435463,56.513672&t=h&z=13&layer=c&cbll=32.940166,-87.128058&panoid=3qI59iuuQrB_VFUnuPALlQ&cbp=12,252.92,,0,-3.64

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Duke87 on August 02, 2011, 08:08:01 PM
I always loved mercury vapor lamps, but I haven't seen one lit up at night in years. They're utterly extinct around here.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I spotted this in Morning Sun, Ohio:

It's not often I slam my brakes to get a picture of something... for this, I did. I didn't see it at night so I can't say what sort of lamp was actually in there, but the fixture has the distinct look of an old MV fixture.

I like the cool blue of mercury vapor, it just fits with the night. The orange of high pressure sodium, meanwhile, is hideous - it clashes with the night. Newer metal halide fixtures (which are white) solve this problem, but still don't look as good as mercury vapor.

Of course, as time goes on, the orange HPS fixtures will go the way of the dodo as well. LED lights are generally white (though they can be made in any color), and eHID technology is also white.
There are many of these still around in Nebraska, particularly in small towns. I remember when Lincoln had these on side streets, but the city switched completely to sodium vapor lights on all streets about 20-25 years ago. In Lincoln, we have the cutoff style on major streets, and the dome style on side streets.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: WolfGuy100 on August 05, 2011, 12:26:14 AM
I remembered when I was kid, Lexington KY used to have THIS type of streetlights in some areas:

I tried to find one on Google Street View, but I think all of them has been replaced with regular Cobrahead streetlights.

There used to be plenty in LA, but I'm pretty sure most are phased out with LED lighting now.  I know there's a couple of areas in Portland and some rural towns that still use them.  They're old. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=albany,+or&ll=44.64643,-123.062325&spn=0.141426,0.338173&gl=us&z=12&layer=c&cbll=44.646877,-123.062585&panoid=vWRRsNIUAMqi4mBtWTscog&cbp=12,208.87,,0,-14.16

Here's an oldie on an Interstate in Oregon!

RJ145

What color range does the LED streetlight put out? Cool white, natural white or a warm white?

roadfro

^ The LED streetlights they're using to retrofit luminaries at signalized intersections in Reno—Sparks seem to be more of a cool white – a stark contrast to the high pressure sodium bulbs that were in use, so that has taken some getting used to.

KEK Inc.

They have a cool glow. 

Here's a comparison of the more yellow-hued cobraheads vs. the LED streetlights on the 6th St. Viaduct in LA.

roadfro

The whitish LEDs used in Reno/Sparks aren't quite that bright and they have a bluer tint, which results in intersections that don't look quite as well lit at night.

NDOT has been doing some retrofits in the Reno area, changing out sodium vapor lighting underneath bridges with LED fixtures that are really bright.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.