News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maine

Started by mightyace, March 04, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pugnamedmax

Quote from: Beeper1 on May 29, 2017, 09:37:34 PM
Maine has made a minor route number change.  The northern section of ME-175, from ME-166 to US-1, has been re-numbered as a northern extension of ME-166.

I noticed this change as early as the end of August 2015 when I drove back to school again in Castine. I mentioned that the new signs messed me up a little to a group of locals. They told me that route 166 was extended "to help tourists find us without getting as lost."

What's interesting is that it took Google Maps over a year to pick up on the change, and they still implemented it wrong. They incorrectly have route 166 and route 175 multiplexed from route 1 to Penobscot (the formerly 175, now 166 section). Google also got rid of 166A completely and now calls the entire loop 166, which also is untrue in the field. 166 and 166 A just switched sides of the peninsula to have the shorter route to Castine be new 166. This might be why an earlier poster thought 166 ends at itself? I don't know if there is a way to send Google a requested change, but at the same time the locals would probably prefer I didn't...

Marf

Does anyone have any info on SR 718? It was mentioned in a MDOT notice today and a google search turned up nothing. Apparently it has an alignment along State Street in Bath.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

SectorZ

Quote from: Marf on December 23, 2017, 04:32:14 PM
Does anyone have any info on SR 718? It was mentioned in a MDOT notice today and a google search turned up nothing. Apparently it has an alignment along State Street in Bath.

Link to the notice? I couldn't find anything that fit the rough criteria you laid out here. Looking to see if I can find anything on that.

Marf

Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

yakra

My takeaway: the operative word is "establishing a portion of State Highway '718' (State Road)"; IE, it doesn't exist now, but will soon?

Route 701 & 703 exist in Greater Portland; they're the Scarborough Connector and Maine Turnpike Approach Road respectively. There's no regular route number signage, just mile markers.
The MEDOTPUBRDS shapefiles do acknowledge these numbers in the RTE_NO attribute, however State Road in Bath gets a regular Inventory Route number: 2310189.

I have to wonder if Maine is quietly developing a 7xx series of "secret"/unsigned state highways, similar to CT's secret routes...
Which doesn't make complete sense, as we already have plenty of unsigned state hwys on the inventory road system. *shrug*
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Alps

Quote from: yakra on December 24, 2017, 02:38:03 PM
My takeaway: the operative word is "establishing a portion of State Highway '718' (State Road)"; IE, it doesn't exist now, but will soon?

Route 701 & 703 exist in Greater Portland; they're the Scarborough Connector and Maine Turnpike Approach Road respectively. There's no regular route number signage, just mile markers.
The MEDOTPUBRDS shapefiles do acknowledge these numbers in the RTE_NO attribute, however State Road in Bath gets a regular Inventory Route number: 2310189.

I have to wonder if Maine is quietly developing a 7xx series of "secret"/unsigned state highways, similar to CT's secret routes...
Which doesn't make complete sense, as we already have plenty of unsigned state hwys on the inventory road system. *shrug*
I think it's establishing the roundabout as a part of State Road. I don't see why they would suddenly be adding a former alignment of US 1 to the system. My guess is it's already in the system. There may be other such routes that no one knows about (spooky music).

yakra

Quote from: Alps on December 25, 2017, 12:48:47 AM
I think it's establishing the roundabout as a part of State Road.
That sounds fishy to me. It's there; it's been there (since at least August 2012). It's part of State Road.

I don't see why they would suddenly be adding a former alignment of US 1 to the system. My guess is it's already in the system.
Aah, but what do you mean by "the system", though?
State (or State-Aid) highways? State Road has been State Highway since the oldest version of the MEDOTPUBRDS shapefiles I have archived (2005), and probably (conjecture on my part) has been since the US1 freeway was completed in 1968.
Or do you mean, the 7xx "system" I was speculating about above? If that's what you mean, yeah, I don't see why either. But nonetheless, it appears to be happening...

As far as the inventory route numbers are concerned:
State Road itself is route 2310189, as noted above. This route number is in place in the 2011 shapefiles, which predate the roundabout. (Upon entering the town of West Bath, the inventory route number changes to 2301062.)
Once the roundabout appears in the shapefiles in 2012, route 2310189 follows the southbound/westbound alignment of State Rd / old US1. The eastbound/northbound alignment is inventory route 3209529. The roundabout between the western exit/entrance is inv rte 3209531. The roundabout between the eastern exit/entrance is inv rte 3209532.

It could be that "2310189" will become "0718X", and "3209529" will become "0718N" or "0718E".
Internally, the 'X' suffix is used to denote the primary direction of an inventoried route. The other direction of a split alignment route will usually have an 'S' or 'W' suffix. But not always -- Route 703, for example, is 703X and 703E. 703's mileposts increase east-to-west. 701's mileposts increase north-to-south, but it's inventoried as 701X & 701S nonetheless. Sure, guys, whatever...
(If you wanna see some wacky hijinks, check out route 195..)

I suppose it's possible that the designations could flip-flop within the roundabout upon 718's designation, with there still being the usual 'S' or 'W' suffix. I won't make a prediction here, and will await what I can find in future revisions of the MEDOTPUBRDS shapefiles.

Fictional:
I'd like to see a US1Alt or at least US1Trk, although the latter would be of less use east of Cook's Corner, where the trumpet overpass has been bashed by enough overheight trucks for them to just leave the temporary crossover in place till next time.
A US1 child route would seem more obvious to follow than ME24Bus.

There may be other such routes that no one knows about (spooky music).
MDOT insiders know about them, but you're obviously referring to no one among us lowly roadgeeks. :)
The fact that there's a 701 & a 703 has bothered me for a while: where in tarnation is 702? The only good guess I had was the Exit 28 <-> US1 connector in Brunswick, but nope -- 0512070.
Aw what the hey. It's 3AM. Lemme see if I can mine the shapefiles' DBF file for unique values of RTE_NO & see if I can find anything enlightening...
...annnd, the only 3-digit values beginning with '7' are 701 & 703.

It's possible that more 7xx RTE_NO attributes may filter into the shapefiles in the future. For a long time, 701 & 703 were listed with ordinary inventory route numbers. And "703" has been a thing for at least a decade before it showed up on mile markers; I recall seeing it mentioned in PACTS planning studies when the roadgeek bug first bit me in 2004ish.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

Dougtone

Recently, I blogged about the old bridge in New Sharon, Maine, which was on an old alignment of US 2 over the Sandy River. The bridge was demolished in 2014, but my photos from the blog were from 2004.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/02/old-us-2-bridge-new-sharon-maine.html

KEVIN_224

This was posted on the Facebook page of the Sarah Mildred Long Bridge Replacement Project...one of the other bridges between Kittery, ME and Portsmouth, NH:

The Maine and New Hampshire Departments of Transportation are aware of the rumors circulating about why the new Sarah Mildred Long Bridge hasn't opened and speculation that there is something wrong regarding safety or mechanical issues. The fact is the bridge is operational and safe.
The bridge was formally "commissioned"  in late January. This means the bridge was successfully lifted and operated under a variety of simulated scenarios which would allow the Maine and New Hampshire Departments of Transportation to assume "ownership"  and operational responsibilities. Training of the New Hampshire DOT employees responsible for operating the bridge has been successfully completed. They are currently waiting to take over those operational duties.
Most of the outstanding work items are routine, and much of the remaining work is either aesthetic or weather-dependent including weatherproofing, paint touch up, and pointing and patching of concrete. Maine and New Hampshire are now evaluating all options for opening the bridge sooner than what is indicated on Cianbro's most recent schedule.

DRMan

Yes, and Seacoast Online (out of Portsmouth) published this article today that reports the same thing: http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20180209/new-sarah-long-bridge-delayed-but-safe-officials-say

So, if the bridge is safe and operating properly, and the operators have been trained and are ready, what's really holding things up? Seacoast Online has filed a Freedom of Information request with Maine DOT to try to get some answers. Meanwhile, US 1 Bypass businesses are feeling the pain, and Portsmouth Naval Shipyard can't have the spent fuel from the nuclear submarines that are serviced there hauled away.

QuotePortsmouth Naval Shipyard relies on the train line to remove spent fuel from overhauled submarines from the base. Public Affairs Officer Gary Hildreth said even though all spent fuel is removed by rail, the delay in the bridge opening has not negatively impacted the shipyard's operations.

QuoteDave Lorandreau, manager of Jackson's Hardware and Marina on the Route 1 Bypass in Kittery, said the lack of communication on the specific issues delaying the project has been a major cause of frustration. With the latest delay, he said his business will suffer further losses because March, April and May are the busiest months for the hardware store with people coming in to get a jump on their summer projects at home. He said the bypass has become a de-facto one way road and it limits how many passerby customers come into the store.

"The communication has been pretty horrible,"  said Lorandreau. "It'd be nice if they came out and said what the specific causes of all the delays are. It's probably more frustrating for the guys building it, but we have 15 to 20 customers a day coming in and asking us what's wrong with the bridge and it's not like we have the answers. Everyone is just speculating right now."

yakra

SectorZ

cl94

Too early to tell if the speed limit was behind the increase. The 2017 number isn't significantly different from 2014 or 2015. 2016 was a hot summer, so you may have had more tourists going north to escape the heat.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Ian

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 18, 2018, 12:11:51 AM
I think I'd like to go to Houlton, just for this sign;

https://www.facebook.com/aaroads/photos/a.10150170219977948.315352.181045197947/10156226520222948/?type=3&theater

You'd be wasting your time. I was up there just a few weeks ago; it's unfortunately been replaced.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

KEVIN_224

Were you able to get a picture of the replacement sign? :)

Ian

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 19, 2018, 06:19:59 PM
Were you able to get a picture of the replacement sign? :)

Heh, I didn't even think to do so. I was already bummed out enough that the LeHay was gone. :(

Next time I'm up in The County, I'll snap a pic!
Youtube l Flickr

cl94

MaineDOT has been replacing LeHay fast in recent years. I'm quite sad about that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Ian

Quote from: cl94 on February 21, 2018, 08:50:08 AM
MaineDOT has been replacing LeHay fast in recent years. I'm quite sad about that.

Yep, Maine used to be a treasure trove for finding old signs. Now, over 90% have been replaced in the last five years or so. There are a few locally maintained roads that have some hanging on, but those are very few and far between.
Youtube l Flickr

cl94

Quote from: Ian on February 22, 2018, 11:34:59 AM
Quote from: cl94 on February 21, 2018, 08:50:08 AM

Yep, Maine used to be a treasure trove for finding old signs. Now, over 90% have been replaced in the last five years or so. There are a few locally maintained roads that have some hanging on, but those are very few and far between.

You can say the same about Vermont. VTrans has replaced almost everything in about the same time frame. Old stuff only exists where there is town maintenance. At least Massachusetts still has their old signs.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on February 22, 2018, 11:42:50 AMAt least Massachusetts still has their old signs.
Even the majority of those have long since been replaced or eliminated.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Great Lakes Roads

KEVIN_224

I wonder if it would be similar to what you have on I-95 in Hampton, NH now? High speed EZ Pass in the middle for their setup.

shadyjay

I believe I read in the planning somewhere that they were looking at 3 high speed lanes in each direction.  Hampton has two (as does Hooksett) in NH, while the other high speed plazas on the Maine Turnpike only have one (but don't have a fraction of the traffic that York has). 

BTW, did the high speed lane on the Falmouth Spur plaza ever open? 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.