News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2012 Hurricane Season

Started by realjd, June 25, 2012, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkchylde

I know I'm not going anywhere for this. Cat2? Pfft. Bring it on.

Never mind that the current track's center has it passing only about 20 miles east of me at last check.

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on August 26, 2012, 10:21:14 PM
Quote from: realjd on August 26, 2012, 08:48:55 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 26, 2012, 06:36:32 PM
Given what I've seen, the hoopla over Issac is much ado about nothing.  Yes, it may be a Cat1 , but the biggest effects should be wind and rain from what I've seen.  If I was in NOLA, I would not evacuate for this one.

In NOLA proper? Get out. Remember that most of the city is below sea level. Even a minor storm surge can be catestrophic. In a suburb? Check your storm surge zone and decide based on that. Remember that we are decent at forecasting storm tracks but completely incapable of accurately predicting intensity, so you always plan based on a storm one level higher than is forecast.

I live only a few miles inland but am about 35 feet above sea level. Much of the swampy gulf coast doesn't have the same luxury of elevation during a storm like this.

In NOLA proper, I'd stay.  In Katrina, the failures were completely human error due to lack of levee maintenance.  Had the levees been maintained as they were supposed to, NO would never have flooded.  Remember, there was a distinct contrast between the Jefferson parish side and the NO side of the canal.  One side was dry due to proper maintenance, one side was not due to lack of maintenance.  The storm had far less to do with it than people not properly maintaining the levees.

Agreed about it being a maintenance issue, with some design flaws causing failures due to overflows washing away the supporting ground on the dry side. You trust that its been fixed properly? They assured everyone it was safe before Katrina also.

I'm not saying I'd evacuate far, but I'd evacuate at least to a mainland suburban hotel unless I lived in one of the areas that stayed dry during Katrina like the French Quarter.

vtk

It's looking like the remnants of Isaac are going to blow over Ohio just as we have our first game of the season in the 'Shoe...

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Road Hog

I listen to WWL at night for its hurricane coverage, but I've been a little disappointed this time. It's still replaying Dave Ramsey with just a brief update at the top of the hour. Guess they're waiting for it to go Category 6.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on August 27, 2012, 01:33:38 AM
It's looking like the remnants of Isaac are going to blow over Ohio just as we have our first game of the season in the 'Shoe…

Maybe it'll be like Hurricane Ike for Ohio.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 27, 2012, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: vtk on August 27, 2012, 01:33:38 AM
It's looking like the remnants of Isaac are going to blow over Ohio just as we have our first game of the season in the 'Shoe…

Maybe it'll be like Hurricane Ike for Ohio.

I'm hoping the remnants go further west.  We need the water very badly here in Illinois and Indiana.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bassoon1986

well, Isaac just made it to Hurricane status. I found it funny that on Louisiana's Office of the Governor website they included this list of state of emergency parishes:

STATE AGENCY/PARISH UPDATE

A number of parishes and areas have declared a mandatory evacuation, including:
Grand Isle and Lafitte in Jefferson Parish
Low lying areas in Jefferson Parish
South of the floodgates in Lafourche Parish
The East Bank in Plaquemines Parish
St. Charles Parish
Lowing lying areas of St. John

There are 23 parishes that have declared a state of emergency, including:
Ascension
Assumption
East Baton Rouge
Iberville
Jefferson
Lafourche
Livingston
Orleans
Morehouse
Plaquemines
St Bernard
St Charles
St Helena
St James
St John
St Tammany
Tangipahoa
Terrebonne
Jefferson Davis
Cameron
Pointe Coupee
St. Mary
West Baton Rouge

Morehouse Parish??  Oops  :pan:   That's the northeast corner of the state

Road Hog

Quote from: bassoon1986 on August 28, 2012, 12:47:36 PM
well, Isaac just made it to Hurricane status. I found it funny that on Louisiana's Office of the Governor website they included this list of state of emergency parishes:

STATE AGENCY/PARISH UPDATE

A number of parishes and areas have declared a mandatory evacuation, including:
Grand Isle and Lafitte in Jefferson Parish
Low lying areas in Jefferson Parish
South of the floodgates in Lafourche Parish
The East Bank in Plaquemines Parish
St. Charles Parish
Lowing lying areas of St. John

There are 23 parishes that have declared a state of emergency, including:
Ascension
Assumption
East Baton Rouge
Iberville
Jefferson
Lafourche
Livingston
Orleans
Morehouse
Plaquemines
St Bernard
St Charles
St Helena
St James
St John
St Tammany
Tangipahoa
Terrebonne
Jefferson Davis
Cameron
Pointe Coupee
St. Mary
West Baton Rouge

Morehouse Parish??  Oops  :pan:   That's the northeast corner of the state

Not that far-fetched. They're low-lying and prone to flooding and could get 20 inches of rain out of this.

roadman65

The levees are spilling over along LA 23 in Plaquemines according to Parish President.  I believe power poles are down on LA 23, that is the only highway and road that connects with the rest of the US.  If you did not evacuate, then you  may be trapped!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Stephane Dumas

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: roadman65 on August 28, 2012, 10:11:22 PM
The levees are spilling over along LA 23 in Plaquemines according to Parish President.  I believe power poles are down on LA 23, that is the only highway and road that connects with the rest of the US.  If you did not evacuate, then you  may be trapped!
Plenty of police exacuations of folks in Plaquemines and the southern part of Jefferson Parish today.

Alex

Found this image on hardcoreweather today. This scene is just before the on-ramp from U.S. 51 onto I-10 west. Was looking at LA511 a lot today and many many road closures, including this stretch of I-10:

QuoteI-10 in both directions: Road closed.
between Exit 206: LA 3188; Belle Terre Boulevard and Exit 210: I-55 (near Laplace). The road is closed because of flooding.

Comment: I-10 in both directions, between Exit 206: LA 3188; Belle Terre Boulevard and Exit 210: I-55 (near Laplace) The road is closed because of flooding.

tdindy88

Brandon

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 29, 2012, 10:04:54 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 29, 2012, 05:02:32 PM
I read at http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?14425-Isaac-to-pay-a-Labor-Day-visit-to-Detroit then Isaac might go up to Illinois, Indiana and Detroit http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/151338.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Drought...say hello to my friend Goodbye.

It's been too damn dry.  Lost two junipers, darn near lost the birch tree (all planted November 2010), and didn't mow the lawn for weeks on end.  Only blasted thing growing were the thistles.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Road Hog

I drove LA 23 to Venice about 11 months after Katrina, and the farther south you went, the worse the devastation, even still. Houses, gas stations, schools, and workshops were still sitting there splintered. Cars were still in ditches. That was how bad Katrina was. There was just so much of it, you couldn't clean it up in even a year.

lamsalfl

I have lived in New Orleans my whole life.  I evacuated for this storm, not because of fear of property damage, but because I knew with a slow-moving storm that power outages were going to be at least a couple days, and I want my air condition, the tv, cold fridge, etc.  With that said, New Orleans has suffered VERY LITTLE with Isaac.  By Saturday, things will be back to normal other than maybe some people still not having power. 

Not saying anyone here, but I love it how some people act like hurricanes started hitting NOLA in 2005.  Lol. 

roadman65

Quote from: Road Hog on August 30, 2012, 01:16:47 AM

I drove LA 23 to Venice about 11 months after Katrina, and the farther south you went, the worse the devastation, even still. Houses, gas stations, schools, and workshops were still sitting there splintered. Cars were still in ditches. That was how bad Katrina was. There was just so much of it, you couldn't clean it up in even a year.
I was in Venice last year in June and saw some of the damage by Katrina.  There is still a blown out sign for a gas station right at the curve where LA 23 narrows from four to two lanes next to the strip mall on the river side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5975388772/in/photostream  If you look to the left of the road where the photo is taken, but it is actually on the right, you can see the sign that I am talking about.  It is on the far left of the photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5974827345/in/photostream/ Here is another photo taken on LA 23 in Venice and you can see how two signs were never replaced (one on each side of the highway) and it looks like the roof on the building to the left was damaged and not repaired either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

As a portion of Isaac's remnants tries to form what would be Nadine in the Gulf, the NOAA Emergency Response Imagery page now includes recent aerial photography of areas effected by Isaac:

http://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/isaac/index.html

US71

:-D
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.