AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: USA Parkway - Nevada State Route 439?  (Read 23335 times)

andy3175

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:58:36 PM
    • AARoads
USA Parkway - Nevada State Route 439?
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:10:14 AM »

The USA Parkway is a partially constructed, four-lane route proposed to connect Interstate 80 east of Reno-Sparks with U.S. 50 near Silver Springs.

I was scrolling through http://www.nevadadot.com/Projects_and_Programs/Road_Projects/USA_Parkway_-_I-80_to_U_S__50.aspx and noticed that the main page and the PDF presentation files from January 2012 show the USA Parkway as Nevada State Route 439 (look at the logo in the upper right corner on the first page of the PDF file). This is the first I've seen this designation for this route. Wikipedia seems to think this was going to be SR 805. Does anyone have insight on the proposed number of this route (and whether it will be constructed).

Regards,
Andy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:19:24 AM by andy3175 »
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
Re: USA Parkway - Nevada State Route 439?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:19:17 AM »

Quote from: http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/2009_USA_Pkwy_Study.pdf
However, the USA Parkway has been given a designation of State Route 439, pending an acceptable agreement.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

N-439: I-980?

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:25 AM »

There was some other study or document from when the idea of USA Pkwy was first being touted by the developer, and plans to link it up from the then short stub off I-80 down to US 50 in Silver Springs. That document mentioned something about it being proposed as SR 805. This number was likely picked by the developer based on the linking of highways 80 & 50--805 would not fit in the numbering scheme for secondary (formerly "state aid") routes. This never got off the ground though, as I think NDOT was skeptical about taking control of the roadway when the developer wasn't planning to construct it to NDOT standards.

I also read the linked document which mentioned the possible SR 439 designation. With the USA Pkwy proposals having gained more traction, I think there is more thought on NDOT's part to take over the road, as a regionally significant highway. It's worth noting that this proposed number does fit in with the primary route numbering scheme--in this case, being a never-before-used number early in the Washoe County grouping.

The most recent NDOT highway log (July 2012 update) makes no mention of the route.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 01:52:54 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »

N-439: I-980?

Do us all a favor . . .
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

gonealookin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:41:16 PM
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »

I'm bumping this old thread because of the news about USA Parkway coming out of the special session of the Nevada Legislature this week, in which the deal with Tesla to bring their manufacturing plant to the industrial park off I-80 east of Reno was approved.  As part of the deal, the state is buying the existing road built by the developer through the industrial park for $43 million, and has agreed to extend it as a four-lane expressway through the hills to connect with US-50 in the Silver Springs area.  Apparently the state has promised Tesla that this road project will be fast-tracked with completion taking "a few years" rather than closer to a decade.

Here are a couple of newspaper articles discussing the role of the road in the Tesla deal:
1.  Las Vegas Review-Journal
2.  Nevada Appeal

The Appeal article notes the benefits to residential and commercial development in the Silver Springs and Dayton areas when the road becomes available as a commute route.
When completed, the connection would not only greatly improve freight movement from the industrial complex to points south but open a path for workers living in the Dayton corridor to jobs at the Tesla plant and Tahoe Reno Industrial Center.

Edit:  The Review-Journal article and the NDOT documentation linked by the OP as updated seem to confirm the numbering as NV-439.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:31:45 PM by gonealookin »

Kniwt

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 12:43:29 PM
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports today (October 13):
The State Transportation Board on Monday unanimously approved a $70 million design-build project for State Highway 439, also known as USA Parkway east of Reno in Storey and Lyon counties.

More here: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/nevada-approves-70-million-tesla-related-road-work

gonealookin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »

Also included in the approved proposal is the widening of US 50 to four lanes from the existing east end of the four-lane highway in Stagecoach on out to the intersection of US 95A in Silver Springs, a distance of about 10 miles.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »

Has FritzOwl made this I-11 yet?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

myosh_tino

• Silicon Valley Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
    • Silicon Valley Roads @ Markyville.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

Has FritzOwl made this I-11 yet?

Shhhh!!!!!!!  Don't give him any more ideas!  :sombrero:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

andy3175

• AARoads
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:39:48 PM »

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/local/mason-valley/2014/10/14/ndot-approves-million-usa-parkway/17276347/

The state's announcement several weeks ago of the deal to bring Tesla Motors to Nevada included a projected $40 million for the right-of-way to complete USA Parkway.

On Monday, the Nevada Department of Transportation made that official.

The NDOT board of directors, led by Gov. Brian Sandoval, approved approximately $43 million in costs for right-of-way, easement and existing road improvements on USA Parkway.

In addition, the board also agreed to several other projects on Northern Nevada highways to free money to complete USA Parkway by 2017.

USA Parkway is a privately-built, approximately 6-mile roadway extending into the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center from Interstate 80. The project would add approximately 12 miles to USA Parkway and connect Interstate 80 east of Sparks with U.S. 50 in the Silver Springs area. It is argued the extension will increase mobility and reduce drive time for commuters and freight, as well as support economic development, reduce congestion and vehicle-related air pollution.

The state projects a 9-to-1 cost-benefit ratio for the project.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Kniwt

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 12:43:29 PM
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:58 PM »

The Reno Gazette-Journal gives another update.
http://www.rgj.com/story/money/business/2015/07/27/usa-parkway-extension-sr-439-ndot-update/30628763/

Once finished in late 2017, the expanded USA Parkway – officially designated as State Route 439 – will also yield benefits related to quality of life and cost savings, said Meg Ragonese, NDOT spokeswoman. Those benefits have been cited as a key component to why the highway expansion has been fast tracked from its original 2019 completion date.

... As part of the USA Parkway extension project, NDOT will have to do work on the existing 6-mile stretch of road to bring it up to state standards. The road will have four total lanes, with two lanes going on each direction.

jrouse

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 08:42:28 PM
USA Parkway - Nevada State Route 439?
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 11:45:46 PM »

I drove on a short portion of USA Parkway when I was on my way to Montana a few weeks ago.   I saw one NV-439 trailblazer at the interchange with I-80 but nothing more.  And it is now shown in the NDOT highway log. 

iPhone

roadfro

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »

I drove on a short portion of USA Parkway when I was on my way to Montana a few weeks ago.   I saw one NV-439 trailblazer at the interchange with I-80 but nothing more.  And it is now shown in the NDOT highway log. 

That seems rather fast for NDOT in getting the road signed with the route shield.

However, NDOT didn't publish any quarterly updates to the route log on their website between roughly 3rd quarter 2014 and 2nd quarter 2015 (and the recent update didn't include the quarterly update memo as many of the previous editions did). So I'm not entirely when the state "officially" took over USA Parkway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

andy3175

• AARoads
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 01:10:51 AM »

Update on the USA Parkway (Nevada 439) ...

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/local/leader-courier/2015/09/11/type-intersection-usa-parkway-topic-talks/72069586/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

The type of intersection where the proposed USA Parkway on Nevada 439 would connect to U.S. 50 in Silver Springs might not be a done deal, Lyon County manager Jeff Page said last week.

Page said Lyon County officials recently met with Nevada Department of Transportation representatives and developers who plan to develop in the western Silver Springs area about the planned SR 439, which commonly has been referred to as USA Parkway throughout the years.

He said the developers are not in favor of the currently proposed high-T intersection where USA Parkway would meet U.S. 50. Page said as he understands, this would be like the U.S. 395 and Johnson Lane intersection in north Carson Valley, and he wouldn’t favor that type of intersection either for a four-lane roadway. He said the developers would prefer a high-speed roundabout intersection.

The USA Parkway construction project is being advanced as a design-build project, and he said NDOT told them the type of intersection would be included as part of the design-building process.

Page said the preferred intersection would be an overpass of some sort, but that is quite expensive so he didn’t think that would be an alternative.

The design-build team is scheduled to be chosen in late 2015, according to NDOT documents, with construction to be completed by December 2017.

A high-speed roundabout is planned for the future at the U.S. 50 and U.S. 95 Alternate intersection in Silver Springs. However, that would be constructed with a four-lane extension on U.S. 50 to the 95A intersection and he said that would occur after USA Parkway is completed.

The developers of the Tahoe Reno Industrial Park constructed a portion of USA Parkway from Interstate 80 to the industrial park. However, this project would include construction of the southerly 12.5-mile stretch to complete an 18-mile, four-lane roadway linking to U.S. 50 at Opal Avenue in Silver Springs for an estimated $70 million project.

According to NDOT documents, this would be an 86-foot-wide section of two travel lanes in each direction with 8-foot-wide shoulders and a center median.

The impetus for the completion of USA Parkway southward to Silver Springs, which has been discussed since as early as 2000, was the efforts to attract the Tesla battery gigafactory to TRIC and the state made concessions to develop and fund the roadway as part of the recruitment effort. The state moved up the completion date from a prior 2019 date.

NDOT began the environmental assessment for completion of USA Parkway to U.S. 50 back in 2012 and after gathering public and stakeholder input, completed the environmental studies in late 2014, which came to a finding of no significant impact with the build alternative. The EA was needed to satisfy requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act to evaluate and document impacts. It was required if federal funding were used and for right-of-way on BLM-administered land.

According to current plans, the signalized T-intersection at U.S. 50 would feature acceleration and deceleration lands and no stop for eastbound traffic. The signal would impact eastbound traffic planning to turn left onto USA Parkway and westbound traffic and southbound traffic. The process after the decision document was issued early this year was to issue the Request for Qualifications in January to come up with a short list of design-build teams and then to issue a Request for Proposals during the summer. The design-build team is scheduled to be chosen this fall.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

roadfro

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

^  Honestly, it would make more sense to put in a diamond interchange or a trumpet, and to do that now while there's still some chance of it costing less than normal and/or typical estimates.

gonealookin

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 05:54:34 PM »

The construction phase of the remaining 12 miles of USA Parkway is now underway with completion scheduled for late 2017.  The final paragraph of the NDOT press release indicates that they settled on a roundabout at the US 50 intersection.

http://nevadadot.com/News/Press_Releases/2016/NDOT_Advises_Drivers_of_Periodic_Lane_Closures_for_Construction_of_USA_Parkway_(State_Route_439)_Extension.aspx

roadfro

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 03:57:51 AM »

The construction phase of the remaining 12 miles of USA Parkway is now underway with completion scheduled for late 2017.  The final paragraph of the NDOT press release indicates that they settled on a roundabout at the US 50 intersection.

http://nevadadot.com/News/Press_Releases/2016/NDOT_Advises_Drivers_of_Periodic_Lane_Closures_for_Construction_of_USA_Parkway_(State_Route_439)_Extension.aspx

A roundabout...really?!?!

I mean, I have nothing against roundabouts–I'm all for them, actually. But at the end of what's anticipated to be a significant freight route, that doesn't make sense to me...

mcarling

• Last Login: January 13, 2024, 07:38:25 AM
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 05:02:25 AM »

This is a likely alignment for I-11, so it may remain a roundabout for less than 20 years.
US 97 should be 2x2 all the way from Yakima, WA to Klamath Falls, OR.

roadfro

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 10:05:52 AM »

I don't think SR 439 is a likely alignment for I-11, but the access via US 50 is a potential possibility for it.

gonealookin

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »

My best guess is that they're expecting that the opening of Tesla and related businesses in the industrial park together with the completion of USA Parkway will bring growth along US 50 in the Silver Springs area, so this roundabout which is in the middle of what is now a 65 mph highway would basically be a western entrance to Silver Springs.  The 2015 article quoted by Andy above mentions that "developers in the western Silver Springs area" had input into the intersection design.  Silver Springs is a dispersed desert community now and the notion that it will become more like, say, Fernley, seems speculative.

coatimundi

• Last Login: April 17, 2020, 12:42:35 AM
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »

It seems like roundabouts are just the fad of highway engineering right now. California has really been jumping on that bandwagon. But I don't know about a roundabout on a road with a 65mph limit, unless they're planning on making an overpass for thru traffic. It seems like that's just asking for accidents.

I'm not trying to bait a discussion of nationalism, but I think this is kinda the worst name ever for a road. Obviously something like "Bill Cosby Boulevard" would be worse, yes, but what was wrong with "American Parkway"?

roadfro

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »

^ The existing portion of the route was built privately, and that's the name they gave the roadway. The name is kind of ingrained at this point and NDOT likely didn't have anything better to call it upon assuming control of it. But gotta agree with you to a certain extent.

andy3175

• AARoads
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 12:14:06 AM »

Found a news article on this as well .... http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2016/06/08/ndot-usa-parkway-open-late-2017/85609130/

The article pretty much offers the same information as the news release, but it also offers a quick run down of facts about USA Parkway:

At a glance:

USA Parkway extension will be designated as State Route 439.
It will reduce vehicle miles traveled by 451,000 people by 2035.
The 12.5 mile-long extension will reduce freight delay by 886,080 hours annually.
More than 17,000 vehicles are expected to drive on USA Parkway by 2035.
Two safety undercrossing will be installed to help reduce vehicle-animal crashes.
About 30,000 vehicles travel on the Interstate 80 and U.S. 50 corridors near the future USA Parkway alignment daily.
The project is expected to provide up to $35 million in annual savings.
The roadway is expected to open by late 2017.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

• AARoads
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 12:17:32 AM »

Found another article that outlines the reasons for the roundabout at USA Parkway and US 50. it looks like an earlier plan was a T intersection.

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/local/leader-courier/2015/09/11/type-intersection-usa-parkway-topic-talks/72069586/

He said the developers are not in favor of the currently proposed high-T intersection where USA Parkway would meet U.S. 50. Page said as he understands, this would be like the U.S. 395 and Johnson Lane intersection in north Carson Valley, and he wouldn’t favor that type of intersection either for a four-lane roadway. He said the developers would prefer a high-speed roundabout intersection.

The USA Parkway construction project is being advanced as a design-build project, and he said NDOT told them the type of intersection would be included as part of the design-building process.

Page said the preferred intersection would be an overpass of some sort, but that is quite expensive so he didn’t think that would be an alternative.

The design-build team is scheduled to be chosen in late 2015, according to NDOT documents, with construction to be completed by December 2017.

A high-speed roundabout is planned for the future at the U.S. 50 and U.S. 95 Alternate intersection in Silver Springs. However, that would be constructed with a four-lane extension on U.S. 50 to the 95A intersection and he said that would occur after USA Parkway is completed.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.