AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north  (Read 232185 times)

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
Re: Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »

This Jan. 17 article reports an official estimate that 44% of motorists driving between Henderson and the Hoover Dam would use a tolled Boulder City Bypass/ Future I-11:

Transportation experts say a 15-mile toll-road bypass around Boulder City would only be used by about 44 percent of the motorists using what eventually would become a piece of the proposed Interstate 11 between Hoover Dam and Henderson.
Representatives of the Nevada Department of Transportation and the Clark County Regional Transportation Commission tried to reassure a skeptical crowd of about 50 people attending a public hearing Wednesday that a four-lane freeway bypassing Boulder City would still achieve the goal of reducing traffic on the city’s streets.
Transportation officials took testimony and answered questions during a three-hour open house and public meeting at Boulder City High School.
The estimate that 44 percent of the traffic would use the bypass is based on studies by the Las Vegas-based Louis Berger Group, which was tasked with analyzing prospective toll structures to determine what price point would guarantee maximum revenue.
The estimate was based on a toll of $2.25 per passenger vehicle. Large trucks and commercial vehicles would potentially pay more ....

The reason the majority of motorists aren’t expected to use the toll road is that they’d have the option of using the existing U.S. 93 route through Boulder City that would remain free.
NDOT officials said the proposed $2.25 toll could be used the first year of operation, then modified up or down, depending on whether there was a need to increase or decrease demand.
Phase 1 of the project, which would be under the jurisdiction of NDOT, is a short piece that would run from Railroad Pass to a new intersection at U.S. 95 and cost between $20 million and $30 million for right-of-way and $90 million to $110 million for construction. Some of that land, in the Jericho Heights area, currently is the subject of contentious condemnation proceedings.
The longer Phase 2 portion of the highway, where the tolling would occur, is under the RTC’s jurisdiction and would cost about $330 million to complete. It’s on public land and wouldn’t require right-of-way acquisitions.
One of the benefits of allowing tolling is that the bypass would be completed faster. Officials estimate that if tolling were allowed, the project could be completed by 2018 or 2019 with an accelerated construction schedule.
If tolling isn’t allowed, the project would go on a list of future projects with an uncertain completion timetable. Because the route is part of the recently designated I-11 corridor, it would be completed eventually.

This map shows the respective locations of Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the project:

lamsalfl

• Last Login: December 24, 2023, 01:30:29 AM
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 03:39:29 PM »

I'm at work and don't have time to sift through threads but I noticed google has I-11 signed from LV to and including parts of I-40. 

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

I'm at work and don't have time to sift through threads but I noticed google has I-11 signed from LV to and including parts of I-40. 
What sort of asshattery is this! Brilliant.

Rover_0

• Why?

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:58:27 PM
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 07:38:55 PM »

It's all the way down US-93 to Wickenburg now.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »

This article reports on the corridors still under consideration in Nevada:

Routes through western Nevada that could become part of an Interstate 11 freeway corridor linking Mexico and Canada have made the first cut for future study, local officials and the public were told Wednesday by transportation officials studying the options.
Routes through central and eastern Nevada that would run to Elko or Wells did not make the final list of potential routes for the proposed Intermountain West Corridor, although one of the preferred alternatives would see the freeway head northeast from Fernley to Winnemucca and then on to Idaho close by Boise ....
An Intermountain West Corridor is being evaluated as part of the proposed Interstate 11 project that would connect Phoenix and Las Vegas, but it is years away from reality.
The top-rated route north from Las Vegas would follow U.S. Highway 95 to Fernley, head west to Reno then up U.S. Highway 395 into southern Oregon.
The second option would follow U.S. 95 to Fernley, but then head northeast through Winnemucca to Idaho.
The third option closely mirrors the first but would depart from U.S. 95 at Tonopah, heading west to U.S. 395 in California and running through Douglas County and Carson City before moving through Reno north into southern Oregon ....

KEK Inc.

• Roads Roads Roads

• Last Login: March 10, 2024, 06:09:32 PM
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »

Would I-11 ultimately replace US-395 up to Spokane?
Take the road less traveled.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

authors of this paper: raise your hand if you've ever driven US-95 in Nevada.

I thought not.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

tidecat

• I'm only here so I don't get fined.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:01:23 PM
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »

Would I-11 ultimately replace US-395 up to Spokane?
Even if that were interstate quality, taking US 395 all the way would still not be the shortest route - it would be six miles shorter to use US 97 and go through Bend to I-84 and rejoin US 395 at I-82.  According to Google that route can currently be done at an average speed of 61.1 MPH.  There might be some opportunity to straighten out the doglegs in US 395 by building an Interstate, but the gains would be minimal in terms of travel time - right now Google says it takes  792 minutes to drive 781 miles on US 395 from Reno to Spokane, and average of 59.2 miles per hour.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 11:15:51 PM »

[snipped taking a silly question seriously]
I don't know what routes you're measuring, but I'm seeing sticking to US 395 (except around Susanville) as shorter. The Goog gives the following for Phoenix to Spokane (all routes using future I-11 to Vegas):
*1285 mi via US 93 to Twin Falls, I-84 to Boise, and 55-US 95-US 195 to Spokane
*1338 mi via US 93 to Twin Falls, then Interstates (except US 395 in WA)
*1358 mi via 376/305 across butt-fucking Nevada, then US 95-US 195 to Spokane
*1386 mi via 376/305 across butt-fucking Nevada, then US 95-78 to Burns and US 395 to Pendleton
*1404 mi via US 95-US 195 from Vegas to Spokane
*1431 mi via all Interstates (I-15 to I-90)
*1498 mi via Reno and US 395 to Pendleton
*1511 mi via Reno and 139/39-US 97 to Biggs Junction

tldr: poo
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:18:14 PM by NE2 »
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

polarscribe

• Last Login: July 13, 2020, 02:51:12 AM
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 05:11:03 AM »

Bahahahahahaha... US 395 in Northern California as an interstate? Whoever wrote that paper is smoking meth.

In the 560 miles of US 395 between Reno, Nevada and Pendleton, Oregon.... the biggest city is Susanville, California - micropolitan area population of ~32,000 and change. There is nobody, absolutely nobody living in northeastern California and southeastern Oregon. They are the emptiest corners of their respective states. You could pitch a tent in the middle of the highway north of Alturas - AADT is just 720 vehicles per day at the state line.

If that was ever built (and it has not the slightest chance of being built), it would be the most ridiculously wasteful use of transportation dollars in the history of the known universe.

However, if it is built, they need to add an I-311 spur to Quincy and an I-411 beltway of Alturas. For great justice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:18:41 AM by polarscribe »

emory

• Last Login: August 20, 2020, 12:40:23 AM
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 08:20:10 PM »

If I-11 goes through California, CalTrans will have to renumber the CA 11 freeway they're currently building down near the border in San Diego.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »

CA 11 freeway they're currently building

ha.  the 125/905 intersection is as antiquated and counterintuitive as it always has been.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 09:07:03 PM »

If I-11 goes through California, CalTrans will have to renumber the CA 11 freeway they're currently building down near the border in San Diego.
I believe the California State Route Supremacy clause (the one that gave us I-238) would instead force all of I-11 to be renumbered should it ever get built in CA.

CA 11 freeway they're currently building

ha.  the 125/905 intersection is as antiquated and counterintuitive as it always has been.
I keep wondering where they plan to put that thing.  There doesn't appear to be anywhere you could put in even a trumpet (ignoring CA 11, since it makes everything harder to fathom) without being way too close to another ramp..  Given that it's only two years old, I can't imagine that CalTrans is going to rebuild interchanges just to fit CA 11 in there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »

I keep wondering where they plan to put that thing.  There doesn't appear to be anywhere you could put in even a trumpet (ignoring CA 11, since it makes everything harder to fathom) without being way too close to another ramp..  Given that it's only two years old, I can't imagine that CalTrans is going to rebuild interchanges just to fit CA 11 in there.
http://www.sandag.org/uploads/projectid/projectid_56_16900.pdf
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KEK Inc.

• Roads Roads Roads

• Last Login: March 10, 2024, 06:09:32 PM
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »

Bahahahahahaha... US 395 in Northern California as an interstate? Whoever wrote that paper is smoking meth.

In the 560 miles of US 395 between Reno, Nevada and Pendleton, Oregon.... the biggest city is Susanville, California - micropolitan area population of ~32,000 and change. There is nobody, absolutely nobody living in northeastern California and southeastern Oregon. They are the emptiest corners of their respective states. You could pitch a tent in the middle of the highway north of Alturas - AADT is just 720 vehicles per day at the state line.

If that was ever built (and it has not the slightest chance of being built), it would be the most ridiculously wasteful use of transportation dollars in the history of the known universe.

However, if it is built, they need to add an I-311 spur to Quincy and an I-411 beltway of Alturas. For great justice.

An Alaskan Interstate would be more of a waste.  :bigass:
Take the road less traveled.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »

This one has a more exact rendering, though you need to zoom in: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/departments/planning/pdfs/systplan/26-TransportationBorderCongestionReliefProgramApplicationSR905125InterchangeOtayMesaPOE.pdf

I knew you couldn't fit it in as is!  The project involves moving a couple ramp ends.  Seems odd to build something then re-align it just a couple years later.

Fun fact: this interchange was supposed to be built last year.  Maybe the current ramps were intended as a temporary configuration?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

polarscribe

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »

An Alaskan Interstate would be more of a waste.  :bigass:

You could make a case for upgrading, extending and resigning AK-1/Glenn Highway and AK-3 Parks Highway as Interstate A-1 from downtown Los Anchorage to Wasilla and the exurban hellhole of the Mat-Su Valley. (Interstate A-2, spur to Palmer because reasons.) Dubiously, one could think about designating Interstate A-3 in Fairbanks, running along AK-2 and AK-3 from the international airport to North Pole and Eielson AFB.

Otherwise, pretty much yeah, there's not enough people in Alaska to merit an interstate anywhere else. Hell, there's not enough people to justify roads, period, to a lot of places. But this discussion really belongs on the PNW board ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:59:44 AM by polarscribe »

Bickendan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:19:16 PM
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »

"Los Anchorage", lol

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »

Having sat in traffic in downtown Anchorage where the Glenn and Seward Highways stop short of interchanging with each other as freeways, I don't really consider an Alaska Interstate a joke.  Alaska is part of the Great White North with the fourth-smallest US state population in a territory equal to about one-fifth the total land area of the continental US, but when you combine extreme population anisotropy with a very hectic summer driving season, it is no wonder Anchorage is so congested.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »

Having sat in traffic in downtown Anchorage where the Glenn and Seward Highways stop short of interchanging with each other as freeways, I don't really consider an Alaska Interstate a joke.  Alaska is part of the Great White North with the fourth-smallest US state population in a territory equal to about one-fifth the total land area of the continental US, but when you combine extreme population anisotropy with a very hectic summer driving season, it is no wonder Anchorage is so congested.
They need that freeway link, but they also need a beefier downtown grid to handle the incoming rush hour. Signal timing in green "waves" is what I envision.

polarscribe

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 05:05:14 AM »

"Los Anchorage", lol

They say that if you stand in the right place downtown, you can almost see Alaska.

:pan:

Seriously, it's a well-earned nickname... Anchorage is *that* different from everywhere else in the state.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:10:13 AM by polarscribe »

andy3175

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:58:36 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:54 PM »

http://www.yourwestvalley.com/glendale/article_da312be6-f1c9-11e3-98ea-001a4bcf887a.html

Arizona and Nevada transportation officials will hold a series of meetings this month to inform the public of progress on a proposed new interstate highway that would run west of Surprise, linking Las Vegas and Phoenix. Interstate 11 would mark one of the last remaining connections between major Western U.S. cities in the nation’s highway system. Meetings are slated June 18 in Tucson, June 25 in Buckeye and June 26 in Las Vegas. In addition, a virtual public meeting will be hosted June 18 through July 18 on the project website, www.i11study.com.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

• AARoads
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2014, 11:53:33 PM »

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/road-warrior/next-i-11-hearing-focus-best-route-through-las-vegas-valley

n a recent update on the status of the I-11 project, members of the Regional Transportation Commission were told that some of the public comment has been evaluated and the I-11 corridor through Las Vegas is becoming more defined.

There’s one more big public meeting for local residents to weigh in on the I-11 routing. It will be later this month on June 26 from 4-7 p.m. with a 5:30 p.m. presentation at the Historic Fifth Street School, 401 S. Fourth St.

Several prospective routes were narrowed to three that would go around or through the city. The prospective routes that have won the most public support:

■ From the point where the northern end of the Boulder City bypass would end – near the Railroad Pass casino – the route, designated Option Y, would use U.S. Highway 95 north to the 215 Beltway, west to approximately Ann Road where a new section of freeway would be built, and north to join U.S. 95 near state Route 157 to Kyle Canyon.

■ A route designated as Option Z would put the route on already existing highways. From Boulder City, it would use U.S. 95 all the way through town. That’s a cheap alternative, since all that wold be required would be to plant a bunch of I-11 signs along the route. But city officials have concerns about routing any new truck traffic through the notoriously congested Spaghetti Bowl.

■ A route that presents the most heartburn to residents of Henderson and the greatest expense, Option BB-QQ, would cut north from U.S. 95 on a new right of way east of Frenchman Mountain all the way to Interstate 15 near Nellis Air Force Base. From there, the route runs south on I-15 to the future Beltway interchange, using the Beltway west to U.S. 95. That’s about 20 miles of new highway and a route that passes through Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Engineers would analyze the impact of traffic on the Beltway-U.S. 95 interchange which will soon be designed.

I-11 is years, maybe decades, from becoming a reality.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »

There was a small blurb on the state-by-state news page of Wednesday's (2014-09-10) issue of USAToday about some officials in Nevada looking into extending 'I-11' northwestward from Las Vegas to the Carson City-Reno area, roughly along the US 95 corridor.  Is there anything more on-line about this?

Mike

andy3175

• AARoads
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2014, 01:03:49 AM »

I found this article: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/nevada-board-picks-us-95-i-11-corridor

All roads don’t lead to Tesla, but Interstate 11 apparently will.

The Nevada Department of Transportation board voted Monday to designate U.S. Highway 95 as the proposed route for the future interstate between Las Vegas and I-80.

State transportation leaders said they were picking U.S. 95 over U.S. 93 in part because of growing industrial development in northwestern Nevada, including Tesla battery factory announced last week.

Another big factor in the decision is where the interstate is likely to go after it leaves Nevada. Following U.S. 95 directs I-11 toward “megapolitan regions”  of California and the Pacific Northwest, said Sondra Rosenberg, who is heading up NDOT’s work on the project.

By contrast, an eastern route along U.S. 93 could steer I-11 through small cities in Idaho and Montana on its way to what one audience member bluntly called “nowhere Canada.”
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.