News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

A clearance sign for a bike/pedestrian only overpass in Kirkland, WA:

(Taken from a Twitter follow)

Scott5114

Actually kind of relevant since a particularly tall person on a bike could have problems with an overpass that low.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

plain

Yao Ming and Tacko Fall might want to duck a little if they happen to hike there.
Newark born, Richmond bred

thenetwork

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 27, 2022, 01:31:48 PM
Actually kind of relevant since a particularly tall person on a bike could have problems with an overpass that low.

They do that on the Riverfront Trail near Loma and Fruita, CO when the trail ducks under I-70.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on November 28, 2022, 12:52:18 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/Dev9iFQvSv1LhtR7A
The NJ 19 shield has a lot to be desired.

I mean, it's 100% standard other than using Series E(M) for the digits. Not exactly the most attractive design in my opinion, but there's nothing really wrong with it.

https://goo.gl/maps/UTBCvxfwDrrFmV457
Since when is NJ using square design shields?

If you look closely you can see a white circle on an off-white background square. Fabrication error, perhaps?

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 28, 2022, 04:19:11 PM
Sign on the right here just seems like a Keep Right sign with extra steps.

https://goo.gl/maps/81kqFHRXTrDMG9v96
Heh.  Somebody didn't want to admit the Do Not Enter sign was a bad idea.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on November 27, 2022, 03:12:06 AM

Reminds me of this even wackier example at the recently constructed 13th Street flyover, here in Wichita:  https://goo.gl/maps/KnVDwicrDcq7BNWq5
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 28, 2022, 03:36:25 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/Dev9iFQvSv1LhtR7A
The NJ 19 shield has a lot to be desired.

I mean, it's 100% standard other than using Series E(M) for the digits. Not exactly the most attractive design in my opinion, but there's nothing really wrong with it.

https://goo.gl/maps/UTBCvxfwDrrFmV457
Since when is NJ using square design shields?

If you look closely you can see a white circle on an off-white background square. Fabrication error, perhaps?

On the NJ 19 ramp, if you move along, you can see the exact same type of sign but with a proper circle, so the NJ 4 one might be just faded.

Love the NJ 19 button copy!

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2022, 02:50:34 PM

Reminds me of this even wackier example at the recently constructed 13th Street flyover, here in Wichita:  https://goo.gl/maps/KnVDwicrDcq7BNWq5

Don't want to bump your head while you're traipsing around in the brush under a freeway interchange. That'd be bad.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2022, 02:50:34 PM

That's awesome!  I've seen bridges over roads less marked than this area where if you are driving over these bushes in a creek looking area on the other side of a chain link fence.

kphoger

For what it's worth, the path appears to be an access road to the Big Ditch.  There is a gate in the fence at the south end, visible here.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 02:36:58 PMFor what it's worth, the path appears to be an access road to the Big Ditch.  There is a gate in the fence at the south end, visible here.

There are multiple accesses--I've used (on foot only) the ones off Zoo Boulevard between the bridge and the I-235 ramps and at the I-235 bridge over the Arkansas River just to the northwest of where 21st Street bends south to become West Street.

Instead of embankment at the I-235 end, the 13th Street flyover bridges have extra length supported on piers that are all hammerhead, no handle.  This is not just to leave enough clearance for a maintenance access, but also to avoid interfering with the flood control function.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 01, 2022, 03:46:32 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 02:36:58 PM
For what it's worth, the path appears to be an access road to the Big Ditch.  There is a gate in the fence at the south end, visible here.

There are multiple accesses--I've used (on foot only) the ones off Zoo Boulevard between the bridge and the I-235 ramps and at the I-235 bridge over the Arkansas River just to the northwest of where 21st Street bends south to become West Street.

Instead of embankment at the I-235 end, the 13th Street flyover bridges have extra length supported on piers that are all hammerhead, no handle.  This is not just to leave enough clearance for a maintenance access, but also to avoid interfering with the flood control function.

You and I (and some others on here) have probably walked right where that access road is...
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 04:00:27 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 02:36:58 PM

You and I (and some others on here) have probably walked right where that access road is...

Didn't we go there during the Wichita meet in 2013?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2022, 07:05:58 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 04:00:27 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 02:36:58 PMFor what it's worth, the path appears to be an access road to the Big Ditch.  There is a gate in the fence at the south end, visible here.

Didn't we go there during the Wichita meet in 2013?

Yes, it was the first stop after the meet lunch.  We explored the construction site from the west side of I-235, and several attendees examined the pier foundations.  We did not move over to the east side, where Berean Baptist Church was in the process of (or perhaps had finished) erecting a replacement of their main building that they presumably funded with their right-of-way settlement.  (Hoover Road, which bounds their property on the west, needed to be displaced a bit to the east to accommodate the northbound-to-westbound connector.)  Sadly, this brand-new building was destroyed by fire soon after the flyover opened.  It was a shame--it had been finished in brick with limestone accents.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Something prompted me to look at Google Maps for Far Rockaway, where my father's mother once lived (she died almost 30 years ago). In nosing around, I discovered a rather interesting sign just inside New York city limits prohibiting moving from the Seagirt Boulevard service road onto westbound Seagirt Boulevard. (Sorry to have to post a Street View link, but I have not been to Far Rockaway since the days after my grandmother died and I was up there for the funeral.) I have never seen a sign like that anywhere else, though it's an eminently clear sign and it makes perfect sense right there because there are some trees between the service road and the main road coupled with traffic coming off the Nassau Expressway at relatively high speeds, such that they want service road traffic to move over one block further down.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2022, 11:29:50 AM
it makes perfect sense right there because there are some trees between the service road and the main road coupled with traffic coming off the Nassau Expressway at relatively high speeds, such that they want service road traffic to move over one block further down.

And yet apparently that isn't a concern when it comes to traffic approaching from the side street itself, turning from a right angle...
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2022, 11:29:50 AM
it makes perfect sense right there because there are some trees between the service road and the main road coupled with traffic coming off the Nassau Expressway at relatively high speeds, such that they want service road traffic to move over one block further down.

And yet apparently that isn't a concern when it comes to traffic approaching from the side street itself, turning from a right angle...

Yeah, that whole situation seems very confusing. Why not just close the access between Beach 6th and Seagirt, since that area can be accessed from Beach 9th anyway?

Also, that "No Turn" sign doesn't seem that clear to me. Usually those black-on-white arrow signs mean you have to go that way, and this example means the exact opposite. I think it should add the red circle with strike-through (typical for no turn restrictions). Alternatively, this sign would also work if it were allowed in the US...

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on December 02, 2022, 12:58:40 PM
Also, that "No Turn" sign doesn't seem that clear to me. Usually those black-on-white arrow signs mean you have to go that way, and this example means the exact opposite. I think it should add the red circle with strike-through (typical for no turn restrictions).

Something like this?

Male pronouns, please.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 01:29:58 PM
Also, that "No Turn" sign doesn't seem that clear to me. Usually those black-on-white arrow signs mean you have to go that way, and this example means the exact opposite. I think it should add the red circle with strike-through (typical for no turn restrictions).

Something like this?

Yeah exactly! :)

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2022, 01:29:58 PM

Something like this?

I would add a stem on your arrow so it looks more like the standard No Left/Right Turn signs.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.