News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most dominant fast food chains in the US

Started by golden eagle, June 29, 2019, 11:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Since fast food tends to be a big topic here, I came across a list of the most dominant chains across the country, in terms of locations (franchise or company-owned). You can see the top 23 here, but I'll post the top ten:

1. Subway
2. McDonald's
3. Starbucks
4. Dunkin
5. Pizza Hut
6. Burger King
7. Taco Bell
8. Wendy's
9. Domino's
10. DQ

I wish the article had a top 25, but I digress. I'm not surprised Subway is #1 because they're relatively cheap to own (some as little as $60K) and you can stick one in your closet. I'm rather surprised that DQ (Dairy Queen) is as high up. It doesn't seem like there would be that many. Same with Jimmy John's. I do wonder if Rally's/Checkers and/or Hardee's/Carl's Jr would make the list if they used the same name.

Can Starbucks really be considered fast food?

Big John

TheHighwayMan3561

DQ has a Subway-like presence in parts of the Midwest; many of the dinkiest towns have one, even if it's just a stand and not a full-size store.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Quote from: Big John on June 29, 2019, 11:36:59 PM
Pizza Hut?  They have table service.
Some do. Some are Carry-out/Delivery Only...even with a Drive Thru sometimes...more like a Pickup window, I guess

Then there is the Pizza Hut Express version, which is pretty much straight up fast food, whether stand alone or co-located with fellow YUM! Brands Restaurants KFC and/or Taco Bell

golden eagle

Quote from: Big John on June 29, 2019, 11:36:59 PM
Pizza Hut?  They have table service.

Not all Pizza Huts. However, you stumbled upon something. Can pizza places be considered fast food? If you place an order for a pizza, you gonna wait at least 15-20 minutes, even if you call it in or order online for pickup. Not exactly fast.

ilpt4u

Quote from: golden eagle on June 30, 2019, 12:17:55 AM
Not all Pizza Huts. However, you stumbled upon something. Can pizza places be considered fast food? If you place an order for a pizza, you gonna wait at least 15-20 minutes, even if you call it in or order online for pickup. Not exactly fast.
Little Caesars has it down pretty well - $5 Hot n Readys during Lunch time

Most "Fast Food"  options for a Pizza place, whether a Chain or Mom n Pop, involve By the Slice options and/or premade ready to go medium/large pizzas of standard cheese, pepperoni, and/or sausage

golden eagle

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 30, 2019, 12:23:21 AM

Most "Fast Food"  options for a Pizza place, whether a Chain or Mom n Pop, involve By the Slice options and/or premade ready to go medium/large pizzas of standard cheese, pepperoni, and/or sausage

Little Caesar's is one of the lone exceptions among major pizza chains when comes to having pizzas already made. As far as by the slice, you have Sbarro's and–in many gas stations–Hunt Brothers.

plain

I despise coffee, so I have no clue about Starbucks' menu, but are they really considered fast "food"?
Newark born, Richmond bred

ilpt4u

There are Domino's out there that mimic/compete with the Little Caesars Hot n Ready idea, but typically that is individual stores/franchises more than a national marketing thing

It is hilarious when there is a Domino's and Little Caesars near each other, and each has the person with the sign, side of the road, advertising ready to go pizzas

Pizza Hut Expresses have Personal Pan Pizzas, pre-made to go...whether its a Mall/Airport/Food Court location or in a separate building

nexus73

Remember when A&W was a major presence?  One of my jobs after high school and before joining the USAF was at an A&W.  Wage: $1.25 an hour and a meal.  Believe me, I ate a lot and loved every bite!  Same for being able to drink all that great root beer too.

Today there are few around but one can still see plenty of former A&W's (due to the unique roof structure) which were repurposed. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

golden eagle

Quote from: plain on June 30, 2019, 12:33:08 AM
I despise coffee, so I have no clue about Starbucks' menu, but are they really considered fast "food"?

I've only been to a Starbucks once or twice ever. You can get some snacks there. You could also say the same about Smoothie King.

golden eagle

Quote from: nexus73 on June 30, 2019, 12:43:19 AM
Remember when A&W was a major presence?  One of my jobs after high school and before joining the USAF was at an A&W.  Wage: $1.25 an hour and a meal.  Believe me, I ate a lot and loved every bite!  Same for being able to drink all that great root beer too.

Today there are few around but one can still see plenty of former A&W's (due to the unique roof structure) which were repurposed. 

Rick

We had an A&W in a former shopping mall, maybe in the 90s or early 2000s. I may've eaten there only once.

Big John

There are a few A&W's around here, all inside gas stations.

ilpt4u

Locally have a combo Long John Silvers/A&W near me

Those two Brands were sold off of Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell owner Yum! Brands back in 2011, apparently to separate owners - but there are still combined locations out there

golden eagle

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 30, 2019, 01:01:40 AM
Locally have a combo Long John Silvers/A&W near me

Those two Brands were sold off of Pizza Hut/KFC/Taco Bell owner Yum! Brands back in 2011, apparently to separate owners - but there are still combined locations out there

There was a Taco Bell/Long John Silver's combo down the street from me a few years ago. It might've lasted a year or two.

DandyDan

Quote from: golden eagle on June 29, 2019, 11:27:46 PM
Can Starbucks really be considered fast food?
Every coffee shop I have been to in the last 5 years or so basically thinks it's Panera Bread, with all the sandwiches they sell. Granted I only go there for the coffee, which is actually something I should stop, both for my health and my wallet.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Flint1979

There's a KFC/A&W combo near me and two A&W stand alone buildings as well as an A&W that supposedly just opened inside a gas station in Mt. Morris. There is also one in Birch Run and I also know of one on M-25 on the Lake Huron side in I believe Lexington.

1995hoo

Quote from: plain on June 30, 2019, 12:33:08 AM

Starbucks has a menu of sandwiches for both breakfast and lunch/dinner. Some of them are decent stuff. They also have chips and such to go with the lunch/dinner ones.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: nexus73 on June 30, 2019, 12:43:19 AM

Rick

A&W are still popular in Canada. The Canadian subsdiary had been spun-off from the American company in the early 1970s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26W_(Canada) 

I wish to see more Wendy's in Quebec. The only ones located in the province are all in Metro Montreal.

I'm surprised to see Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC not in the top 10.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 30, 2019, 09:16:36 AM

It might be because there are a lot of local non-chain businesses with the same types of food.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

golden eagle

Quote from: 1 on June 30, 2019, 09:30:37 AM

It might be because there are a lot of local non-chain businesses with the same types of food.

There's also as many local businesses that sell hamburgers.

hotdogPi

Quote from: golden eagle on June 30, 2019, 12:02:32 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 30, 2019, 09:30:37 AM

There's also as many local businesses that sell hamburgers.

Local hamburger businesses where it takes under 5 minutes to get your food?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Revive 755

There's the other chains which have popped up which make smaller pizzas on demand fairly quickly, such as Pie Five (which tried and didn't make it in several markets), Mod Pizza, and Blaze Pizza.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 30, 2019, 12:17:15 PM

There's the other chains which have popped up which make smaller pizzas on demand fairly quickly, such as Pie Five (which tried and didn't make it in several markets), Mod Pizza, and Blaze Pizza.
Out of those other chains, I've only been to Blaze Pizza and 1000 Degrees.

kevinb1994

Of those various pizza chains both big and small, we haven't had Pizza Hut in years (same with Little Caesar's). I do remember having Papa Johns when I was in high school (sometime during this time period a Papa Johns location opened further north of the pre-existing Domino's location on NJ 27 in Franklin Park), but I believe that it may have been replaced with Seasons Pizza (my memory is failing me somehow) at one point. As far as Domino's goes, it's been a very occasional ordering affair with them for some time (we used to frequent them as a family, before we got tired of their then-downhill quality, as they were much closer than the Pizza Hut on US 1 in North Brunswick, with a location on NJ 27 in Franklin Park that has been there much longer than the Papa Johns a little further north on the same state highway in the same zip code area–due to the lack of quality at Domino's, we switched to a quad of local pizza joints, all of which have been around for a long time on NJ 27-with the exception of the Douglass Pizza & Grill location at the Franklin Towne Center strip mall at the CR 615 South Middlebush Road/Sand Hills Road intersection–I believe that the other three similarly-named locations that may or may not be related to at least some degree have been around longer by a period of unknown years). Marco's Pizza is the most recent chain to be frequented, as we weren't a patron of theirs until they opened a location at Bay95 on the eastern extension of Baymeadows Road (SR 152, although the state road designation ends at I-295 East Beltway where the eastern extension begins).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.