News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 95: Nevada's proposed "Electric" highway

Started by roadfro, July 16, 2015, 04:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mcarling on June 25, 2016, 04:06:40 PM
Depending on the battery capacity chosen, the Tesla Model S and Model X get about 230 to 300 miles of range.  Driving very conservatively can add up to 20%.  Distances of 350 miles have been covered.  It would take an idiot to fully discharge a Tesla between Reno and Las Vegas.  Personally, I like stopping every 2-3 hours for a 20 minute break.  The only time I might be annoyed by the need to stop for 20 minute charging sessions would be with two drivers alternating between stops.

The only problem is that most of US 95 is a 70 MPH zone so conservative driving is going to mean you are going to get run over.  I don't think Teslas would have so much of a problem but a lot of shorter range EVs would unless they were willing to take it slow.

mcarling

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 25, 2016, 10:29:55 PM
The only problem is that most of US 95 is a 70 MPH zone so conservative driving is going to mean you are going to get run over.  I don't think Teslas would have so much of a problem but a lot of shorter range EVs would unless they were willing to take it slow.
That's right.  With the exception of Tesla, most of the electric cars sold so far are not well suited to long-distance road trips.  They are well suited for trips within a metro area.  That will change with the 2017 models, several of which will have about 200 miles of range and Level 3 fast charging capability.
US 97 should be 2x2 all the way from Yakima, WA to Klamath Falls, OR.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.