News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astralentity

I just checked my EZPass account.  I have no transactions posted since 11/12.  I should at least have some showing up for the 24-26 area.

I cross checked with the pay by plate website, nothing there either.

vdeane

Last I checked, the virtual ticket systems west of exit 34A have posted to my account, so that part has fully processed.  Still nothing east of 34A.  I wonder if the reason the mainline gantry tolls around the Capital District haven't posted is because they still haven't posted the 25A-34A virtual ticket system - if you only know about those mainline gantries, you wouldn't know if I took I-88 or not.

I must say, I'm not happy with how long it's taking - or with the fact that the changes to billing mean that what once used to be two lines in my account is now 16.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lstone19

Quote from: vdeane on December 11, 2020, 12:57:24 PM
Last I checked, the virtual ticket systems west of exit 34A have posted to my account, so that part has fully processed.  Still nothing east of 34A.  I wonder if the reason the mainline gantry tolls around the Capital District haven't posted is because they still haven't posted the 25A-34A virtual ticket system - if you only know about those mainline gantries, you wouldn't know if I took I-88 or not.

You may be on to something. Others have reported seeing tolls from the 23/24 gantry and the 15-23-B3 virtual ticket section. But unless I missed it, no reports of tolls from the 24/25 and 25/25A gantries nor the 25A-34A VTS all of which would be affected by the 25A special rules. I wonder if their programming to figure out 25A is proving to be problematic. It would not surprise me if a gantry suddenly appears without fanfare at 25A so they can track the 25A entries and exits rather than trying to infer them from the lack of a scan on the other side of 25A.

noelbotevera

Unpopular opinion: remove all gantries between 24-26. Give everyone a free ride.

Not saying I'm an expert but I don't think NYSTA is gonna cry over losing a $0.67 (or less) toll trip.

vdeane

I feel like if NYSTA was interested in putting a gantry over 25A they would have just made it part of the virtual ticket system in the first place.  It's clearly one of the "high volume" interchanges selected to use mainline gantries instead.  The simple answer would be what noelbotevera posted.  Are more complicated but still simpler than what they actually did answer would be to have the virtual ticket system end west of 26, put a gantry in the middle of 25A, and put a pair of gantries on the ramps at 25 leading to/from the east.  That would have required one fewer gantry and no processing algorithms.  I have no idea why they didn't do this, unless they were hoping that people who don't regularly use exit 25A wouldn't notice that it can be used for a free ride.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on December 11, 2020, 09:54:01 PM
I have no idea why they didn't do this, unless they were hoping that people who don't regularly use exit 25A wouldn't notice that it can be used for a free ride.

That is part of it. Operational inertia is certainly a factor, but NYSTA likes keeping the free ride a secret. There's a reason it's not signed anywhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2020, 11:13:56 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 11, 2020, 09:54:01 PM
I have no idea why they didn't do this, unless they were hoping that people who don't regularly use exit 25A wouldn't notice that it can be used for a free ride.

That is part of it. Operational inertia is certainly a factor, but NYSTA likes keeping the free ride a secret. There's a reason it's not signed anywhere.

I'm guessing it's bureaucratic inertia more than anything else. To change something like this would require a lot of meetings, hearings, voting, and just general rulemaking, which is likely a more arduous and protracted process than just figuring out how to make it work operationally.

Jim

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 11, 2020, 09:09:05 PM
Unpopular opinion: remove all gantries between 24-26. Give everyone a free ride.

Not saying I'm an expert but I don't think NYSTA is gonna cry over losing a $0.67 (or less) toll trip.

I'd say that's a popular opinion, because who likes paying tolls?  But that 67 cents or less is multiplied enough times over add up to some significant money, I'm sure.  Especially 24-25 is a heavy commuter corridor in normal times.  I expect many of them, like me for my 24-27 commute, purchase the $88 annual commuter plan, and would no longer do so if the Albany-Schenectady segments became toll free.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vdeane

In other news, I've heard that the toll barriers are gone at exits 25 and 24.  With exit 45 already gone and the traffic cameras showing Williamsville, Lackawanna, and Canaan gone, it looks like the six priority barriers have been removed.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: vdeane on December 12, 2020, 11:41:30 PM
In other news, I've heard that the toll barriers are gone at exits 25 and 24.  With exit 45 already gone and the traffic cameras showing Williamsville, Lackawanna, and Canaan gone, it looks like the six priority barriers have been removed.

Williamsville is gone save for the headhouse. The lane alignment is unusual (2 westbound, 3 eastbound). I'd personally go 3-3 instead of 2-3. Has been gone since December 5, when they demolished the last 3 lanes on the southern end.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

I suspect NYSTA didn't want to widen the WB Thruway under NY 277, even though there's probably enough room.  I always thought it was odd that they didn't keep the third lane to exit 50, but I guess they always viewed that as queuing space for the barrier and not a legitimate third lane of travel.  Meanwhile, EB was already three lanes there, so they just kept it.

webny99

So I'm guessing the third EB lane ends somewhere in the vicinity of where the booths were?

Jim

I just exited EB at 24 for the first time since the construction mostly wrapped up.  All of the obsolete signs have been removed (like "Tool Booths Ahead").  What is now the weave area between where I-87 NB and I-90 EB traffic converge and the ramps to re-divide those routes and the ramps to the southern stub of the Northway and the new Tandem lot entry ramp is a total mess.  There are lane divider lines all over the place, some of which are current, some of which are insufficiently removed old lines from various construction configurations.  Even on a bright, sunny day today I really could not tell where lanes are supposed to be.  Combine that with people blowing through at 80 MPH and we have a really dangerous stretch right now.

cl94

I can confirm that B3 and 24 are gone, having passed through B3 on Friday and 24 on Sunday. B3 has very little evidence left beyond a widening. As of Friday, it was single-lane EB traffic, so I wasn't paying too much attention to lane lines, but removal is progressing very quickly.

24...yeah, that's a mess. Sunday afternoon was cloudy, so I could see the lane lines pretty clearly, but I see that becoming a mess in any other weather conditions.

15 has barely been touched as of Sunday (couldn't see the 16 plaza when passing through on US 6). Some work was beginning at B1 on Friday; B2, 19, and 23 were basically untouched as of the 3rd. 17 is funneling everyone through the middle 3 lanes, but with plastic lane dividers. 17 will not be removed as part of this contract.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

lstone19

Quote from: cl94 on December 15, 2020, 12:48:56 PM
5 has barely been touched as of Sunday (couldn't see the 16 plaza when passing through on US 6).

Isn't all the traffic at 15 going through the high-speed lanes? If so, then removing the old booths should be low priority since there's no traffic going through them (except for the 16 NB entry traffic which used the far right lane of that plaza).

astralentity

Quote from: Jim on December 15, 2020, 11:16:19 AM
I just exited EB at 24 for the first time since the construction mostly wrapped up.  All of the obsolete signs have been removed (like "Tool Booths Ahead").  What is now the weave area between where I-87 NB and I-90 EB traffic converge and the ramps to re-divide those routes and the ramps to the southern stub of the Northway and the new Tandem lot entry ramp is a total mess.  There are lane divider lines all over the place, some of which are current, some of which are insufficiently removed old lines from various construction configurations.  Even on a bright, sunny day today I really could not tell where lanes are supposed to be.  Combine that with people blowing through at 80 MPH and we have a really dangerous stretch right now.

Time to reconfigure that interchange..... again.

astralentity

Update on ezpass... my little trip out to Auburn on Saturday posted, I took the Thruway from Amsterdam to I-481, so that's correct.  Still nothing between 11/13 and 12/11.

cl94

What Exit 24 looked like as of 2 days ago exiting the Thruway.

Jim

A bunch of my post-conversion November transactions were posted to my E-ZPass account this week.  Interestingly, some of them are showing up broken down as 24-25, 25-25A, and 25A-26 or 27 (the ones with my non-commuter plan transponder) but others are grouping 24-27 as a single transaction (the ones with my commuter plan transponder).

Nothing showing yet from any December travels.

astralentity

Stupid question... what is the Thruway's reasoning behind keeping the I-587 shield off of the exit 19 guide signs?  It's clearly connected to I-87 via the roundabout at the exit ramp.

vdeane

It looks like the last of my charges from Thanksgiving FINALLY posted on Friday, so it took 20-26 days for everything to post (and 8-15 days for things to START posting!).  Yikes.  I hope they won't keep taking that long!

I still hate how they break everything apart.  If they're not doing it for people on the annual permit program, I don't get why they're doing it for the rest of us.  They clearly have the capability to make this not annoying... why aren't they?

Update 12/31: More on the toll billing saga - it's still taking a long time.  It took 10 days for the tolls on my drive out around Christmas to finish posting.  Meanwhile, all the mainline tolls for my drive back (and the virtual ticket systems for Syracuse west) posted - but the Albany gantries posted incorrectly (FYI, they do group 24-25A for that movement).  What will happen when the last virtual ticket system toll posts, I don't know.  Clearly this system back-processing for exit 25A is NOT working out.

empirestate

Quote from: astralentity on December 20, 2020, 04:53:50 PM
Stupid question... what is the Thruway's reasoning behind keeping the I-587 shield off of the exit 19 guide signs?  It's clearly connected to I-87 via the roundabout at the exit ramp.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's simply the absence of reasoning. The exit has always been, and still is, at NY 28, and no new route has been built there since. (That's in contrast to, say, the exits at NY 15 and NY 19, where a new highway facility was built and added to the signage, while also retaining the older routes.)

If the question ever came up, they might reason that it makes sense to sign I-587 from the Thruway, but since nothing's ever really changed, the question never arose, and so they never reasoned anything at all.

Buffaboy

I can't believe I haven't seen the last two pages... I really missed out! I had no idea the Williamsville and Lackawanna barriers have been taken down because I haven't left my house that much due to the pandemic.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on January 01, 2021, 01:05:42 AM

If I were to guess, I'd say it's simply the absence of reasoning. The exit has always been, and still is, at NY 28, and no new route has been built there since. (That's in contrast to, say, the exits at NY 15 and NY 19, where a new highway facility was built and added to the signage, while also retaining the older routes.)

If the question ever came up, they might reason that it makes sense to sign I-587 from the Thruway, but since nothing's ever really changed, the question never arose, and so they never reasoned anything at all.
I guess a better question is, why does NYSDOT sign I-587?  It ends at a roundabout and a traffic light that is being converted to a roundabout, has no interchanges in between, didn't even have a median barrier across one bridge for a long while, and is concurrent with NY 28 for its whole length.  I can see a stronger case for signing I-478 than I-587 (though now that I think about it... why not just extend NY 9A along I-478 if you don't want to sign the interstate?), and that isn't signed.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on January 01, 2021, 10:56:22 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 01, 2021, 01:05:42 AM

I guess a better question is, why does NYSDOT sign I-587?  It ends at a roundabout and a traffic light that is being converted to a roundabout, has no interchanges in between, didn't even have a median barrier across one bridge for a long while, and is concurrent with NY 28 for its whole length.  I can see a stronger case for signing I-478 than I-587 (though now that I think about it... why not just extend NY 9A along I-478 if you don't want to sign the interstate?), and that isn't signed.

I wouldn't be surprized if that was a part of Thruway deal or something - a 3DI to big enough municipalities along the road. 790 and 587 seem to be there just for the sake of it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.