News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Unless I'm missing something it looks like US-95 could be ugpraded through Indian Springs on the existing alignment. The highway is flanked on both sides by frontage roads. The frontage roads would only need to be extended as the main lanes are re-built with bridges over the key intersections. It might be a tight squeeze working slip ramps in to the design, but there is a good amount of vacant space on the side opposite from Creech AFB.

Cactus Springs next door to the West looks like a tiny ghost town. But it has a similar arrangement. Overall upgrading I-11 to the Mercury Highway exit should be a relatively simple affair. The situation starts getting interesting when the highway gets into more mountainous territory at Beatty and farther North.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
US 95 from LV to Mercury is similar in terms of configuration to US 93 from AZ 68 north to the Colorado River bridge approach -- likely to be by and large upgradeable within the present ROW.  But from what I've gathered, there's a bit of controversy regarding Indian Springs related to Creech AFB security (that base is "drone development central" for the USAF); some parties are pushing for either a trenched facility on the existing ROW or a bypass around the southwest side of town.  But since full development is likely 7-10 years off, it appears we'll just have to see how it all shakes out.  I wouldn't be surprised to see plans for this segment materialize about the time that the through-LV alignment is selected. 

Bobby5280

Digging a new trench on the exiting US-95 alignment would be more expensive and disruptive than just building a few new bridge crossings that allow I-11 to leap frog the important intersections. If the USAF is really worried about privacy why not build opaque sound walls on the military base side of the highway? They could copy the approach ADOT used on the South Mountain Freeway project; the first few miles of it have sound walls running along the North edge of the highway.

At any rate they shouldn't be displaying any classified "black" equipment near the highway anyway, even in the highway's current non-Interstate configuration. The thing is plenty of other military bases have freeways running on the edge of their installations or even running through them. Just look at Fort Bliss in El Paso.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 28, 2019, 04:01:55 PM
Digging a new trench on the exiting US-95 alignment would be more expensive and disruptive than just building a few new bridge crossings that allow I-11 to leap frog the important intersections. If the USAF is really worried about privacy why not build opaque sound walls on the military base side of the highway? They could copy the approach ADOT used on the South Mountain Freeway project; the first few miles of it have sound walls running along the North edge of the highway.

At any rate they shouldn't be displaying any classified "black" equipment near the highway anyway, even in the highway's current non-Interstate configuration. The thing is plenty of other military bases have freeways running on the edge of their installations or even running through them. Just look at Fort Bliss in El Paso.

I agree that this is all much ado about nothing; with frontage roads, there's no compelling reason to alter the I-11 alignment away from the present US 95 profile.   But these days, it appears that virtually anything can be cited for a reason to study something to death!   :eyebrow:

roadfro

Quote from: sparker on December 30, 2019, 12:24:10 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 28, 2019, 04:01:55 PM

I agree that this is all much ado about nothing; with frontage roads, there's no compelling reason to alter the I-11 alignment away from the present US 95 profile.   But these days, it appears that virtually anything can be cited for a reason to study something to death!   :eyebrow:

This discussion is probably better for the thread in Pacific Southwest...

However, I will chime in to mention that I think the future I-11 alignment through Indian Springs could be a simple upgrade of US 95 through town. They could reduce existing median width to keep right of way issues minimal. Two tight diamonds would be plenty of access for the town (one at MacFarland Ave and another at the old Creech main gate), and another interchange for the current main gate access. They could slightly trench the mainline to reduce bridge heights, if that is a concern–but narrow bridges for the mainline would be easiest. And since the base has purchased and razed all adjacent properties on that side of the highway, the northern side frontage road could be eliminated.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

I'd elevate US 95 on the existing alignment and make two half-diamond interchanges at either end of the frontage roads, making them into one interchange.  It would look similar to I-86 in Horseheads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

i-215

Sorry for my shameless plug:  I made a video about Interstate 11 for my YouTube channel.

I hope it's accurate!

nexus73

Quote from: i-215 on January 12, 2020, 03:57:46 AM
Sorry for my shameless plug:  I made a video about Interstate 11 for my YouTube channel.

I hope it's accurate!

I-82 was completed in 1988.  The southern section from Tri-Cities to I-84 was the last section. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_82

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bobby5280

The first segment of I-49 opened in 1983. It took until the late 1980's for the rural sections between Shreveport and Lafayette to open. The urban section thru Alexandria didn't open until 1996.

In the same early 1980's era I-44 was extended from Oklahoma City down to Wichita Falls. The first segments of I-39 in Illinois were signed in the late 1980's. The entire Illinois section wasn't finished until the early 1990's. The Northern extensions of I-39 into Wisconsin took place in the 1990's. 

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 12, 2020, 11:47:29 AM
The first segment of I-49 opened in 1983. It took until the late 1980's for the rural sections between Shreveport and Lafayette to open. The urban section thru Alexandria didn't open until 1996.

In the same early 1980's era I-44 was extended from Oklahoma City down to Wichita Falls. The first segments of I-39 in Illinois were signed in the late 1980's. The entire Illinois section wasn't finished until the early 1990's. The Northern extensions of I-39 into Wisconsin took place in the 1990's.
If you watch the first segment of the video, he specifically mentions in "western America".

I-49 in Missouri was completed around 2012.

I-49 between Shreveport and Texarkana was completed by 2016, being constructed over about 10 years prior to that in phases.

I-73 in North Carolina was approved in 1990, and segments have been under construction since. The newest segment opened northwest of Greensboro in 2017. A new segment east Rockingham in the southern part of the state is currently under construction scheduled to open around 2022. The same situation with I-74 in North Carolina, the newest segment being completed around 2012 southeast of Winston-Salem, with a 16 mile segment of the Winston-Salem Beltway I-74 portion currently being constructed east of the city.

I-26 in North Carolina and Tennessee was completed around 2002 north of Asheville.

I-40 in North Carolina between Raleigh and Wilmington was completed around 1990.

I-69 in Indiana was completed between Evansville and Bloomington in 2016, about 100 miles of new location freeway constructed in the 21st century within a 10 year span. SR-37 was upgraded to interstate standards between Bloomington and Martinsville completed in 2018, and is now currently under construction to Indianapolis.

I-69 in Texas is actively being completed piece-by-piece, though mainly as interchange improvements to existing arterial roadways. Large-scale construction projects such as upgrading long segments to interstate standards and construction of new location bypasses will be ramping up this decade, with at least 40 miles added to the I-69 system by 2030, if not more.

I-22 between Memphis and Birmingham was completed by 2016, after about a couple decades of piece-by-piece construction.

Occidental Tourist

I hope it's accurate!

That was great.  I liked the production values.  Thanks for posting it.

jakeroot

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 14, 2020, 01:15:56 AM

I hope it's accurate!

I agree, really great video.

The rest of the channel is great too, Rob. Lots of good laughs! Thanks for sharing.

dcharlie

Awesome video I-215!  Thanks for sharing! :clap:

silverback1065

Quote from: jakeroot on January 24, 2020, 09:20:31 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on January 14, 2020, 01:15:56 AM

I hope it's accurate!

I agree, really great video.

The rest of the channel is great too, Rob. Lots of good laughs! Thanks for sharing.
Amazing video dude! Gained a subscriber! You have talent!

DRMan

Same here. Great job Rob!

US 89

QuoteFirst New Interstate in 40 years!

I-49, 87, 99, 14, 2, and the 69s say hello.

X99

Quote from: US 89 on January 29, 2020, 10:34:56 AM

49 and 69 don't count, since those are just being extended.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sprjus4

I-73 as well. Currently only exists in North Carolina, planned in Virginia and South Carolina.

sprjus4

Quote from: X99 on January 29, 2020, 11:02:17 AM

49 and 69 don't count, since those are just being extended.
The video referenced segments completed, so they would count.

Though, the video is only talking about western interstates if you actually watch it.

silverback1065

it was referring to the western us

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Depends upon how one defines "West(ern)" -- the western half of the country, which would put I-14 in the mix, or the western states (NM, CO, WY, MT and everything west from there) -- in which case it would be true that the only new trunk interstate commissioned since 1980 would indeed be I-11.  Otherwise, the I-580 extension over the San Rafael Bridge (completed, with the Knox Freeway in Richmond 1991), I-110 (1981), I-710 (1984), and I-880 (2nd iteration, 1985) -- not to mention I-238 the same year (sorry!).  But those are simply local servers, so while technically additions, IMO they don't rise to the level of an interregional connector.  And I discount I-105/CA and I-182; while constructed after '80, their commissioning dates from the 1968 group of Interstate additions.   

silverback1065

by west i think he means west coast including nevada and az.  and new being main 2 digit route.

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 30, 2020, 07:49:24 AM
by west i think he means west coast including nevada and az.  and new being main 2 digit route.

It'll be interesting to see how CA responds if I-11 is ever planned within the NE quadrant of the state -- which would probably also be dependent upon OR response as well.  And any new-terrain route not overlaying an existing freeway or expressway facility -- which something along CA's northern reaches of US 395 would definitely be -- would probably elicit howls and protestations from the RE/T crowd, which has had the ear of a sizeable number of CA & OR state officials for some time now -- so that would have to be overcome (or simply ignored, which is unlikely) prior to any concrete plans being formulated.  New Interstates -- particularly when they don't supply a great deal of benefit to the state -- are just not high on Caltrans' priority list; even the likelihood of the preapproved-as-future-Interstate section of CA 99 won't likely see the light of day in most of our lifetimes. 

nexus73

I-11 from Vegas to Reno is a reasonable proposition.  Going north to either Oregon or Idaho via US 95 and US 395 does not have enough traffic volume to justify an Interstate.  1/2 to 1 mile 4-lane passing sections placed 5 miles apart would be enough to handle RV's and trucks along with the passenger vehicles present during the summer for the next few decades.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Quote from: sparker on January 30, 2020, 06:40:39 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 30, 2020, 07:49:24 AM

It'll be interesting to see how CA responds if I-11 is ever planned within the NE quadrant of the state -- which would probably also be dependent upon OR response as well.  And any new-terrain route not overlaying an existing freeway or expressway facility -- which something along CA's northern reaches of US 395 would definitely be -- would probably elicit howls and protestations from the RE/T crowd, which has had the ear of a sizeable number of CA & OR state officials for some time now -- so that would have to be overcome (or simply ignored, which is unlikely) prior to any concrete plans being formulated.  New Interstates -- particularly when they don't supply a great deal of benefit to the state -- are just not high on Caltrans' priority list; even the likelihood of the preapproved-as-future-Interstate section of CA 99 won't likely see the light of day in most of our lifetimes. 

California has a list as long as your arm of earthquake retrofits to do, and if they ever finish that list they've got a another list of freeways to upgrade where the residents actually want them and they have traffic to justify them.  Upgrading US 395 is not going to make the list, unless somehow Uncle Sugar pays for it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.