News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Northwest Florida Road News

Started by FLRoads, February 26, 2009, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconG

^Some more than others. Madison I know from running I-10 (Leon and Okaloosa too for a good while), Brevard and Indian River will also get a craving flung on them on occasion.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

route29

Quote from: Ace10 on November 15, 2011, 09:08:52 PM
I seriously hope whatever traffic engineering study they conduct after this construction will say to up the speed limit from 55 to 70! With light traffic, 70, or at the very least 65 seems very reasonable for that stretch of I-10.
I thought FDOT raised the speed limit to 70 east of SR 291 after the new Escambia Bay Bridges were opened

EmeraldCoast93

New road work about to start in Fort Walton Beach and Shalimar.

http://www.myeglinparkway.com

Alex

DOT unveils proposed improvements to SR-20

QuoteFREEPORT – The state Department of Transportation unveiled preliminary plans for improvements to State Road 20 at a meeting Thursday night.

The state has earmarked about $7.4 million for the project in 2014.

The DOT plans to resurface a 16.6-mile stretch from the Okaloosa County line east to County Road 83A near Freeport. The work also will include some drainage repairs and the addition of turn lanes at the intersection with Site C-6 Road.

Traffic studies indicated the need for a left turn lane on eastbound SR 20 at Site C-6, which serves as a cut-off to U.S. Highway 331 and a major range road through Eglin Air Force Base property.

The DOT also plans to replace pavement near the intersection with Sycamore Drive that was washed away during Hurricane Ivan.

Alex

To tax or toll? Panel to host public meetings on 331 bridge funding

QuoteThe Highway 331 Blue Ribbon Task Force met last Thursday to discuss possible funding mechanisms to build a second bridge over the bay for southbound motorists.

Two options have been presented: a $2 toll for southbound traffic or a 1 cent sales tax increase.

The Florida Department of Transportation has said it will provide $177 million for to build a bridge if the county can come up with $75 million.

Alex

More area resurfacing, though with some additions of five foot shoulders *yawns*

$3.5 million project on U.S. 90 might wrap up by spring

QuoteThe project includes widening and resurfacing S.R. 4 north from U.S. 90 into Baker at Georgia Avenue, along with a portion of U.S. 90 between S.R. 4 and the Yellow River Bridge to the east.

"Improvements will include resurfacing and adding five-foot paved shoulders, minor drainage, driveway and side street improvements, guardrail repairs, replace school zone signs and flashing signals, safety upgrades, and placement of new signs and pavement markings within project limits,"  an FDOT media release stated.

Alex

Quote from: EmeraldCoast93 on January 04, 2012, 10:18:33 PM

Work to last until late 2013  :wow:

FDOT says Eglin Parkway resurfacing to begin next month

QuoteA $6.9 million project to resurface 4.5 miles of Eglin Parkway is scheduled to begin next month, according to the state Department of Transportation.

QuoteThe work will extend from 12th Avenue in Shalimar south to U.S. Highway 98 in Fort Walton Beach.

Along with the resurfacing, the DOT will make drainage improvements and add needed sidewalks near the Shalimar and Cinco Bayou bridges. Traffic signals at the intersection of Eglin Parkway and Hollywood Boulevard also will be upgraded, Branton said.

EmeraldCoast93

Now, to go along with the SR 85/123 interchange and the Eglin Parkway (SR 85) resurfacing, yet another resurfacing project will begin in Fort Walton Beach along a portion of Lewis Turner Blvd. (SR 189) on Jan. 21 through late 2012.

QuoteWork will begin this month to resurface Lewis Turner Boulevard (S.R. 189) from Roberts Boulevard to Eglin Parkway (S.R. 397) in Okaloosa County. Planned improvements include resurfacing the roadway, drainage upgrades, curb and gutter replacement, pedestrian improvements and new signage and pavement markings. The project is slated for completion in late 2012.

http://static.ow.ly/docs/LewisTurner_NewsRelease_011312_sNL.pdf

allniter89

Quote from: Alex on January 12, 2012, 11:46:06 PM
Quote from: EmeraldCoast93 on January 04, 2012, 10:18:33 PM

Work to last until late 2013  :wow:

FDOT says Eglin Parkway resurfacing to begin next month

QuoteA $6.9 million project to resurface 4.5 miles of Eglin Parkway is scheduled to begin next month, according to the state Department of Transportation.

QuoteThe work will extend from 12th Avenue in Shalimar south to U.S. Highway 98 in Fort Walton Beach.

Along with the resurfacing, the DOT will make drainage improvements and add needed sidewalks near the Shalimar and Cinco Bayou bridges. Traffic signals at the intersection of Eglin Parkway and Hollywood Boulevard also will be upgraded, Branton said.

Its a shame they didnt go ahead a four lane 123 and build a flyover at the north end. I think all the south flyover will do is move the congestion from the south to the north end.
Anyone remember when they last repaved Eglin Pkwy in Shalimar? 2000?
On a unrelated note, Okaloosa County Road 393 is apparently back open to thru traffic. The vms(?) or big portable advisory sign now says something like "road construction on Hwy 393" instead of "road closed at Shoal River Bridge, seek alternate route".  I havent take the ride yet but I dont have a decent cameera anyway. ;-/

Fixed quote. - rmf67
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Alex

Panel delays recommendation on how to fund U.S. 331 bridge

QuoteA citizens group tasked with recommending a way to raise $77 million for a second U.S. Highway 331 bridge over Choctawhatchee Bay heard about four hours of comments Wednesday and Thursday before deciding to postpone a vote until next week.

QuoteThe task force was appointed in December after Florida Department of Transportation officials said they have set aside $177 million for the project, but that Walton County must raise $75 million in order for work to begin in early 2013.

Alex

Quote from: Alex on November 09, 2011, 09:26:51 PM
Thanks in part to yours truly, the Escambia and Santa Rosa County line will be signed on the Escambia Bay Bridges of Interstate 10 again. Received an email last week with the Traffic Operations Request Evaluation/ Recommendation form and sign specs for the new assemblies.

County line signs were omitted from the bridge replacement that occurred after Hurricane Ivan in 2004...

Saw today that the county lines along Interstate 10 at Escambia Bay are finally in place! They are posted at the entrance to the bridge in either direction.

Also of note, Navarre was replaced with Navarre Beach on guide signs for Exit 31 of Interstate 10. A greenout is in place on the one-mile sign while the sign ahead of the off-ramp was completely replaced. No camera today, so no pics to go with this post.

lamsalfl

At the entrances?!?!  That means they are both about 1.5 miles from the actual line!

Alex

Quote from: lamsalfl on February 07, 2012, 01:26:58 AM
At the entrances?!?!  That means they are both about 1.5 miles from the actual line!

Yup. The usual placement for county line signs where the line is midway across a waterway, is following the bridge. Why they opted for placing them at the beginning is beyond me. From what I remember, the old bridge had the county line signs over the water.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on February 07, 2012, 09:42:25 AM
Quote from: lamsalfl on February 07, 2012, 01:26:58 AM

Yup. The usual placement for county line signs where the line is midway across a waterway, is following the bridge. Why they opted for placing them at the beginning is beyond me. From what I remember, the old bridge had the county line signs over the water.

Typically, I've found them right over the middle of the water. Pennsylvania certainly does that a lot. Otherwise, it may be posted on one side or the other - I'm not sure there's any preference for before vs. after, or having both on the same side.

Alex

Pensacola Bay Bridge PD&E Study is online at http://www.pensacolabaybridge.com/

There is an online survey (four questions) you can take about the option to make a replacement span a toll bridge.

Alex

Couple more articles as the discussion for tolling a replacement Pensacola Bay Bridge heats up

Officials meet to discuss Pensacola Bay bridge toll idea

Bridge toll still on table

FLRoads

Somebody must have gone out to U.S. 98 and moved that salamander...

Update on the proposed U.S. 98 and Cody Avenue interchange outside of Hurlburt Field:

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/hurlburt-48162--.html

It seems that there will actually be funding in the State's 2013 budget to get this project moving, with groundbreaking to commence in early 2013. It's about damn time! Of course it will take three or more years to build and I am sure that traffic will be ten times worse than it already is, but at least its finally going to happen. Of course as soon as I post this something will happen so that it doesn't happen...

FLRoads

While killing some time for a mid-morning dentist appointment, I made an impromptu trip around the Niceville area to see progress on the Florida 85/Florida 123 interchange and on Toll Florida 293. I did not take a camera so I apologize for lack of pictures.

For the former mentioned interchange, the beams for the bridge that will carry northbound Florida 123 have still not been placed yet. An article in the local paper a few months ago indicated that the work was to be done in February. However, work continues along the main-line Florida 85 bridges and approaches over the airport access road. In fact, the deck seems to be poured as I seen a work vehicle parked along the southbound span.

There has been more progress made on the construction of Toll Florida 293 at Florida 85 and Florida 285. Bridge work has commenced at the future trumpet interchange with Toll FL 293 and FL 85 with beams already in place for the future toll road over FL 85. The approaches to the bridge have also been constructed and work was being done on the future loop ramp from FL 293 north to FL 85 south. Work has also progressed at the future interchange with FL 285 as well, but only the approaches for the overpass have been constructed.

FLRoads

Florida 85 bridges over airport access road to open next week:

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/shifting-48711-traffic-valpariaso.html

Once this is portion is open work will focus on the remaining flyover for northbound Florida 85 to northbound Florida 123 traffic.

SSF

saw on the I-10 VMS on the east end of the bridges that 98 is going to be closed at Hurlbut Field this upcoming Sunday from 2am to 8am. 

Alex

Quote from: SSF on April 10, 2012, 09:42:31 PM
saw on the I-10 VMS on the east end of the bridges that 98 is going to be closed at Hurlbut Field this upcoming Sunday from 2am to 8am. 

That is for the reinstallation of a pedestrian bridge at Hurlburt Field.

U.S. 98 to close again while Hurlburt bridge re-installed

Alex

Quote from: SSF on April 10, 2012, 09:42:31 PM

Noted the same message today on VMS along both directions of Interstate 10. The first eastbound VMS displayed a Silver Alert while the others showed the US 98 closure.

FLRoads

That's funny, on the way home from work the signboard had the times of Midnight to 6AM...Yep, at it again with variable times.

Alex

Seashore's speed humps aimed to save shorebirds

QuoteSo this year, in addition to normal measures of roping off nesting areas, handing out educational materials and reducing the speed limit through nesting areas to 20 mph, on Monday, the seashore is installing temporary speed humps in Fort Pickens and the Santa Rosa areas of the park. The humps are meant to encourage drivers who ignore the reduced speed limit to slow down, said Dan Brown, seashore superintendent.

» Three humps will be installed on J. Earle Bowden Way in the Santa Rosa area, between Opal Beach and Navarre Beach.

» One hump will be installed on Fort Pickens Road about midway between the Fort Pickens entrance station and campground registration station.

The humps have more gradual inclines than bumps, which can "take off the bumper of a car" that hits them going too fast, Brown said. Installing the humps costs $3,820.

QuoteI know it's excruciating to go 20 mph

Yup, it is unnerving to travel in a car at 20 mph for long periods of time, so why don't just you just close the road until the nesting season is over and save the expense.  :banghead:

agentsteel53

speed bumps in general are horrific.  If I am going over them at 5mph under the posted speed limit, I should not feel like I just left my transmission pan behind.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.