News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Here's an odd sign over in Decatur. The photo was taken by a good friend of mine.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on June 30, 2015, 02:18:03 AM
That's not even retroreflective

I'm more impressed by the level crossing in the background. All the crossings I can find in Decatur are above- or below-grade.

EDIT: Never mind, I found a whole bunch.

EDIT 2: FreeBrickProductions, you should have mentioned it was in Decatur, Alabama (located at about 190 Vine St NW). I was looking in Georgia.

Eth

Quote from: jakeroot on June 30, 2015, 02:28:28 AM
EDIT 2: FreeBrickProductions, you should have mentioned it was in Decatur, Alabama (located at about 190 Vine St NW). I was looking in Georgia.

Now if it were me posting that, you could safely make that assumption. :sombrero:

I can't say we have any signs like that at any of our four (I think) at-grade crossings. I can offer you this sign though.

freebrickproductions

Some odd looking signage near the Huntsville International Airport in Huntsville, AL:
Odd Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A borderless "No turn on red" sign in Ardmore, AL:
Borderless No Turn On Red Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A speed limit sign with the words "Speed Limit" written in a mixed case in front of the Home Depot near Costco in Huntsville, AL:
Odd Speed Limit Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Doesn't look to use Highway Gothic either.

An odd "No trucks" sign in Florence, AL:
No Trucks by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Another odd sign from Florence, AL:
Odd No Turn On Red Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Some of the speed limit signs along Zierdt Road construction project here in Huntsville/Madison, AL use normal speed limit signs. The rest, however, are these:
Speed Limit 35 Sign in a Diamond by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A white-on-red "No Parking" sign in front of the Costco here in Huntsville, AL:
Odd No Parking Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

A couple more tiny logo signs along Memorial Parkway in Huntsville, AL:
Small Logo Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Small Logo Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Bessemer, AL:
Odd Dead End Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Odd Dead End Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Never seen one of these in a diamond before:
Slow Children at Play by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

noelbotevera

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 03, 2015, 12:36:05 PM

Slow Children at Play by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
#1: Floating trucks aren't allowed on this street?
#2: But what if the children are running...is it legal to run them over?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignGeek101

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 03, 2015, 04:42:59 PM

I would think "running" constitutes as "playing".

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 03, 2015, 05:33:54 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 03, 2015, 04:42:59 PM

I would think "running" constitutes as "playing".

Without punctuation, I read the sign as literally "Slow Children at Play", with "slow" being a metaphor for "intellectually disabled".

Excluding the use of symbols, I would try and separate the word "Slow" from "Children at Play":

Zeffy

Quote from: jakeroot on July 03, 2015, 06:30:47 PM
Without punctuation, I read the sign as literally "Slow Children at Play", with "slow" being a metaphor for "intellectually disabled".

Excluding the use of symbols, I would try and separate the word "Slow" from "Children at Play":

The older rectangular versions of those signs had the SLOW emphasized by being larger than the rest of the text, as well as a pictogram of a child running/playing. Here's an example: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.516025,-74.644016,3a,15y,220.59h,84.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUDq66u0tWUrTfcArjJMxSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm fairly certain I remember older embossed ones with SLOW in black just like your example, but still on a rectangle and not a diamond.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Zeffy

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.809476,-75.358445,3a,15y,365.98h,83.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd-DYI0pl1QI1GF552sIQDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

How are the numbers fading that fast without the rest of the sign fading as well? It almost looks like the numbers were made that color in the first place, which is probably false.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SignGeek101

Quote from: Zeffy on July 04, 2015, 07:48:56 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.809476,-75.358445,3a,15y,365.98h,83.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd-DYI0pl1QI1GF552sIQDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

How are the numbers fading that fast without the rest of the sign fading as well? It almost looks like the numbers were made that color in the first place, which is probably false.

Could be a different type of application for the outline and the shield. The outline could have been made independently of the numbers. The outline was made a particular way that is more resistant to fading, then when the numbers were printed, it was done differently. Just my guess.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 04, 2015, 09:44:46 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on July 04, 2015, 07:48:56 PM

Could be a different type of application for the outline and the shield. The outline could have been made independently of the numbers. The outline was made a particular way that is more resistant to fading, then when the numbers were printed, it was done differently. Just my guess.

You will see this on various signs. Occasionally you'll even see one number faded while the other number(s) remain perfectly fine.

roadfro

Often the shields outlines are made as blank, then numbers are applied through a separate process. Making the blanks in large quantities is cheaper, and it makes it easier to quickly put up replacement signs of needed. The downfall is exactly this situation: different materials for the black which fade/peel differently.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jbnv

Quote from: roadfro on July 04, 2015, 11:43:51 PM
Often the shields outlines are made as blank, then numbers are applied through a separate process. Making the blanks in large quantities is cheaper, and it makes it easier to quickly put up replacement signs of needed. The downfall is exactly this situation: different materials for the black which fade/peel differently.

But is it too much to ask of a DOT to figure out what sorts of materials will last in its environment?

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

doorknob60

Some of the speed limit signs along Zierdt Road construction project here in Huntsville/Madison, AL use normal speed limit signs. The rest, however, are these:

Is that enforceable? I interpret that as an advisory speed. More specifically, I'd assume that to be a "Speed Zone Ahead" sign. But if there is no standard SPEED LIMIT 35 sign after it, I don't think that's enforceable.

When Nampa, ID does chip sealing on their roads, they use a 20 MPH orange advisory sign, like this (best I could find on Google Images):
They post this directly below the standard SPEED LIMIT 35 sign. Their official FB page and website also uses wording such as "please follow the suggested speed of 20 MPH", implying that it's not illegal to go faster than 20. Actually, last year, on at least one of the streets, they used the same Orange 20 MPH signs but removed the SPEED LIMIT 35 signs. I wonder if someone got a ticket for "speeding" based on 20 MPH, and won in court for there not being a real speed limit sign, leading to the city not taking them down anymore (I'm just speculating on that though).

EDIT: This on their official site http://www.cityofnampa.us/streets :
QuotePlease be mindful of other motorists and drive the suggested posted speed of 20mph.

I'd interpret the sign you posted as the same to what Nampa does, a suggestion, but much worse executed.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: doorknob60 on July 06, 2015, 07:09:35 PM

Is that enforceable? I interpret that as an advisory speed. More specifically, I'd assume that to be a "Speed Zone Ahead" sign. But if there is no standard SPEED LIMIT 35 sign after it, I don't think that's enforceable.

When Nampa, ID does chip sealing on their roads, they use a 20 MPH orange advisory sign, like this (best I could find on Google Images):
They post this directly below the standard SPEED LIMIT 35 sign. Their official FB page and website also uses wording such as "please follow the suggested speed of 20 MPH", implying that it's not illegal to go faster than 20. Actually, last year, on at least one of the streets, they used the same Orange 20 MPH signs but removed the SPEED LIMIT 35 signs. I wonder if someone got a ticket for "speeding" based on 20 MPH, and won in court for there not being a real speed limit sign, leading to the city not taking them down anymore (I'm just speculating on that though).

EDIT: This on their official site http://www.cityofnampa.us/streets :
QuotePlease be mindful of other motorists and drive the suggested posted speed of 20mph.

I'd interpret the sign you posted as the same to what Nampa does, a suggestion, but much worse executed.
There are also standard Speed Limit 35 signs posted along the street in the same portion, so it's most likely enforced. I guess the sign department in charge of signing this project was too cheap to make more speed limit signs so they altered some "Speed Limit 35 Ahead" signs by covering up the arrow.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Kacie Jane

Is this actually an odd sign?  This style is all over a particular section of Woodinville, WA... but if you pan around this intersection, you can see both this style on the north leg (albeit hidden by a tree), and the probably more common "side profile" style on the east leg.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 07, 2015, 11:09:38 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 07, 2015, 11:04:05 AMMarblehead, MA has a couple of "home-made" NO TURN ON WALK SIGNAL signs, zoom in.
Wouldn't "NO TURN WHEN PEDESTRIAN IS JAYWALKING" fit?
LOL. 

Truth be told, the WALK signal at that intersection (as with all signalized intersections in Marblehead) only comes on when one presses the button; during that phase; all signals are red.

The reasoning for the sign is due to this intersection being located within close proximity of two schools (the high school and the Bell (elementary) school).  As a result, there's much more pedestrian traffic crossing those streets during school hours (when the WALK signal button is typically pushed quite often).

When it's just a red light and a DONT WALK light displaying; right turns on red are permitted at this intersection.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 07, 2015, 05:43:06 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 07, 2015, 11:04:05 AMMarblehead, MA has a couple of "home-made" NO TURN ON WALK SIGNAL signs, zoom in.
LOL. 

Truth be told, the WALK signal at that intersection (as with all signalized intersections in Marblehead) only comes on when one presses the button; during that phase; all signals are red.

The reasoning for the sign is due to this intersection being located within close proximity of two schools (the high school and the Bell (elementary) school).  As a result, there's much more pedestrian traffic crossing those streets during school hours (when the WALK signal button is typically pushed quite often).

When it's just a red light and a DONT WALK light displaying; right turns on red are permitted at this intersection.

Conceptually, isn't vehicular traffic needing to heed its own signal plus the pedestrian signal against specs though?  The same principle would apply as for using the countdown timers on pedestrian signals to figure how long until the yellow light, but the Marblehead sign actually tells motorists that they need to check the pedestrian signal.  (It beats sitting at a red light for nothing when you could have turned, but I'm just thinking about the concept of it.  A dual-red signal with arrow and circular parts would complicate things.)

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 07, 2015, 10:10:55 PMConceptually, isn't vehicular traffic needing to heed its own signal plus the pedestrian signal against specs though?  The same principle would apply as for using the countdown timers on pedestrian signals to figure how long until the yellow light, but the Marblehead sign actually tells motorists that they need to check the pedestrian signal.  (It beats sitting at a red light for nothing when you could have turned, but I'm just thinking about the concept of it.  A dual-red signal with arrow and circular parts would complicate things.)
The entire signal arrangement in question was erected in 1980 (I remember their installation and the previous signal assemblies very vividly) and the signs have been there since the mid-1990s at the latest; which likely predates the widespread use of pedestrain signal countdowns (which are still optional, not mandatory IIRC).  The pedestrain signals, originally the 2-section DONT WALK/WALK, were replaced with the current single-section upraised palm/pedestrain walking symbols about 6 years ago.

Given the fact that WALK signals light up white and, at least for this intersection, the R-Y-G signalheads are in similar alignment with most of the pedestrain signals; I don't believe that a stopped motorist is not going to see the concurrent white WALK signal with the red light.  Besides, it's not like this stretch of Pleasant St. (MA 114) is a high-speed roadway.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 08, 2015, 01:09:11 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on July 07, 2015, 10:10:55 PMConceptually, isn't vehicular traffic needing to heed its own signal plus the pedestrian signal against specs though?  The same principle would apply as for using the countdown timers on pedestrian signals to figure how long until the yellow light, but the Marblehead sign actually tells motorists that they need to check the pedestrian signal.  (It beats sitting at a red light for nothing when you could have turned, but I'm just thinking about the concept of it.  A dual-red signal with arrow and circular parts would complicate things.)
The entire signal arrangement in question was erected in 1980 (I remember their installation and the previous signal assemblies very vividly) and the signs have been there since the mid-1990s at the latest; which likely predates the widespread use of pedestrain signal countdowns (which are still optional, not mandatory IIRC).  The pedestrain signals, originally the 2-section DONT WALK/WALK, were replaced with the current single-section upraised palm/pedestrain walking symbols about 6 years ago.

Given the fact that WALK signals light up white and, at least for this intersection, the R-Y-G signalheads are in similar alignment with most of the pedestrain signals; I don't believe that a stopped motorist is not going to see the concurrent white WALK signal with the red light.  Besides, it's not like this stretch of Pleasant St. (MA 114) is a high-speed roadway.

Indeed, it's easy to see them--but I have always wondered about the spirit of the rules of which signals to have to look at.  MUTCD forbids countdown timers on vehicular signals, for example, but that hasn't stopped some officials in Chicago who are sick of the red light cameras but can't get enough traction to get rid of them to try requiring pedestrian countdown timers anywhere there is a camera--so that motorists can see the countdown.  Not the intention or spirit of the countdown timers, but an interesting usage.  (I'm fully for getting rid of the cameras, fwiw--or at least having the pedestrian countdowns for the purpose mentioned.  I'm not in favor of following the letter of the law that FHWA or MUTCD might have a beef with.  Similar with the Marblehead example--no problem really, but it's an interesting thing to ponder that motorists are being told to also watch the pedestrian signal, something usually not encouraged never mind required.)

mrsman

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 07, 2015, 05:43:06 PM
LOL. 

It sounds like what you are describing is an all-pedestrian phase, or a Barnes Dance.  Essentially, the signal has 3 phases: N-S, E-W, and pedestrian.  If the pedestrians have right of way, all drivers including right turns must stop.  But if cross-traffic has right  of way, then right on red is permitted.

I've not seen this implemented the way Marblehead does.  But I have seen electronic "No turn on red" signs that light up during the pedestrian phase of a Barnes Dance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.