News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: formulanone on May 11, 2019, 09:58:58 PM
Four is much less common - I think New Jersey has a few with four destinations.
Here's one leaving Baltimore, MD on I-70 Westbound.

Also, it's one of the few long-distance mileage signs.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Tonytone on May 11, 2019, 08:09:12 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 11, 2019, 03:13:49 PM
QuoteMust be very windy in that area. They probably did that so it wont break the arm gantry.

Interesting solution but even in this area where the Santa Anas lay waste every fall and the utility lines are buried (no poles), I've never seen that out here.
Well thats a traffic light so this is different, have you ever saw when its windy they bounce, well they do that so it wont break like a tree in the wind, but even trees break under very windy stormy conditions so an arm mast made of metal will have a higher chance of breaking especially with signs that give it resistance to the wind.

iPhone

That's exactly what I mean -- we don't use traffic lights hanging off wire lines here; everything is a mastarm because of the winds, but regular signs are mounted to it.

Tonytone

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 12, 2019, 12:14:04 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on May 11, 2019, 08:09:12 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 11, 2019, 03:13:49 PM
QuoteMust be very windy in that area. They probably did that so it wont break the arm gantry.

Interesting solution but even in this area where the Santa Anas lay waste every fall and the utility lines are buried (no poles), I've never seen that out here.
Well thats a traffic light so this is different, have you ever saw when its windy they bounce, well they do that so it wont break like a tree in the wind, but even trees break under very windy stormy conditions so an arm mast made of metal will have a higher chance of breaking especially with signs that give it resistance to the wind.

iPhone

That's exactly what I mean -- we don't use traffic lights hanging off wire lines here; everything is a mastarm because of the winds, but regular signs are mounted to it.
It has to be alot of wind on that specific road for them to do that if you guys already have mast arms everywhere. Maybe it's something new they are doing or it could be just a strong flow of wind down that corridor, I've only seen that hole punched design on high bridges & plastic signs.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Ian

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 11, 2019, 01:33:28 PM
Many have heard of louvered backplates, but I saw louvered signs for the first time:
[image snipped]

Overhead "louvered" signs are very common around Maine. You'll mostly see it with lane assignment signs such as seen in your photo, but they sometimes make it onto smaller guide signs...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jakeroot

Tooele, UT:

Not sure I've seen "REQ'D" on a sign before.

TBKS1

Quote from: jakeroot on May 12, 2019, 04:19:32 PM
Tooele, UT:

That's really odd, I've never seen that before either. I don't know if the word "Required" would fit on that sign though.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

6a

I didn't think this warranted its own thread, but I wanted to ask. Does any other state use the state route shield for purposes other than marking a state route? 

Amtrakprod

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 11, 2019, 10:47:01 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 11, 2019, 01:33:28 PM
Many have heard of louvered backplates, but I saw louvered signs for the first time:

iPhone

That looks to be US Route 1 in Saco, ME. I used to live one town over in Old Orchard Beach.  :clap:
Correct, took a trip to Winnocks Neck Rd in Scarborough

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

Tooele, UT:

[Image Deleted]
Interesting, why didn't they just use needed or another synonym

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

ipeters61

Quote from: TBKS1 on May 12, 2019, 05:15:49 PM
Tooele, UT:

That's really odd, I've never seen that before either. I don't know if the word "Required" would fit on that sign though.
That reminded me of a sign on the ramp from DE-1 NB to DE-58 WB in Churchmans Crossing ("Right Turn on Red Permitted"): https://goo.gl/maps/2cEH37qyNmZKVYob8
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ErmineNotyours

All of the original construction BGS on I-5 from North Seattle through Lynnwood were louvered.  They were square grids with backing that angled down.  Viewed from the air you could see right through them but they had a green background when viewed from the freeway.  They were olive drab and ugly.  I'm not surprised they were all replaced, but now I'm trying to find a picture of them to confirm they existed.

Tonytone

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 12, 2019, 07:46:11 PM
All of the original construction BGS on I-5 from North Seattle through Lynnwood were louvered.  They were square grids with backing that angled down.  Viewed from the air you could see right through them but they had a green background when viewed from the freeway.  They were olive drab and ugly.  I'm not surprised they were all replaced, but now I'm trying to find a picture of them to confirm they existed.
Please do.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Mapmikey

Quote from: 6a on May 12, 2019, 05:42:59 PM
I didn't think this warranted its own thread, but I wanted to ask. Does any other state use the state route shield for purposes other than marking a state route? 

A Pennsylvania example, possible a one-off - (https://goo.gl/maps/pRjQp)
South Carolina uses an inverted colors version of their shield to say DRIVE SAFELY.  I have seen several examples of this and here is one - https://goo.gl/maps/18HmtaZeakxeJhGN9

US 89

Eth

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 12, 2019, 06:49:42 PM
Tooele, UT:

[Image Deleted]

I usually see the much simpler message "KEEP MOVING" instead.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Eth on May 12, 2019, 08:30:03 PM
Tooele, UT:

[Image Deleted]

"KEEP MOVING" doesn't allow you to stop. The way the sign is currently worded, if there is no gap in traffic, you are allowed to stop.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

Big John

Quote from: 1 on May 12, 2019, 09:16:08 PM
Tooele, UT:

[Image Deleted]

"KEEP MOVING" doesn't allow you to stop. The way the sign is currently worded, if there is no gap in traffic, you are allowed to stop.
Would a YIELD sign suffice?

jakeroot

^^
I believe the sign I posted is synonymous with "keep moving" signage or "added lane" signage.

This seems like an obvious rule...when you're light turns red, stop to let left turns finish their maneuver. Not sure why they needed to sign this. My guess is, because traffic from the right immediately gets a green left arrow, the right turn can very nearly proceed without stopping. But they do need to stop momentarily to let left turns go. But, this is a very common setup all over the place, so the sign is still a bit redundant.

Mountain Hwy @ Lynn Valley Rd, North Vancouver, BC

PurdueBill

Quote from: Big John on May 12, 2019, 09:41:31 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 12, 2019, 09:16:08 PM
Tooele, UT:

[Image Deleted]

Would a YIELD sign suffice?

YIELD is not the right sign because traffic gets its own lane.  The Akron-area sign for a right turn (usually channelized) with no need to yield unless there is some other reason downstream is a wordy one: CONTINUOUS RIGHT TURN WITH CAUTION.  It is not uncommon to see people stop anyway...something to the effect of "no need to stop" would clarify.  I like the "no stop required" one.

riiga

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on May 13, 2019, 12:23:29 PM
Or put no sign at all. Or a W4-3/W4-6.

Precisely. There is already a symbol to indicate this exact situation. No need to use a wordy text-only sign. Or a sign at all, assuming the markings were clear enough.

PurdueBill

Quote from: jakeroot on May 13, 2019, 02:02:07 PM

Precisely. There is already a symbol to indicate this exact situation. No need to use a wordy text-only sign. Or a sign at all, assuming the markings were clear enough.

The problem is at otherwise-signalized intersections like the one I linked to, people often like to think they have to stop, even with the sign.  The added-lane sign should be enough, but doesn't seem to be enough to get through some people's dense skulls.  They would probably claim that they thought it meant that they had to merge/yield...

plain

A couple days ago I saw an "Arrive Alive" posting on a sign that is very Pennsylvania keystone-like, but in Virginia. Couldn't get a pic but here it is on GSV.

US 60 Warwick Blvd in front of Warwick High School in Newport News

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

I keep running into all sorts of weird signs.

Here's one I found in Florida, from Hwy 574 to northbound I-75.

Interstate shield without any of the coloring. I personally love it, but I can see others not sharing that opinion.

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 13, 2019, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 13, 2019, 02:02:07 PM

The problem is at otherwise-signalized intersections like the one I linked to, people often like to think they have to stop, even with the sign.  The added-lane sign should be enough, but doesn't seem to be enough to get through some people's dense skulls.  They would probably claim that they thought it meant that they had to merge/yield...

It seems to be enough around here. I know of no textual signs like those listed up-thread in either WA or BC, and the latter has a ton of right-turn slip lanes, many that are added lanes. Both places use the standard "added lane" symbol. If people stop, big deal. Just make sure drivers are ready to honk!

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on May 14, 2019, 02:00:55 PM
Interstate shield without any of the coloring. I personally love it, but I can see others not sharing that opinion.

I loved it at first glance, but then my feelings for it quickly began to fade.  If I were unfamiliar with the neighborhood and just wanted to get back on the Interstate, my eyes would be hunting for the red and blue more than the shape or number. 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.