AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 1668710 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 07:38:08 AM
Re: Virginia
« Reply #7125 on: February 22, 2024, 04:54:13 PM »

FWIW, the piece of Columbia Pike between South Nash and South Joyce Streets doesn't exist at all anymore. It's been demolished as part of the Arlington Cemetery expansion project, though a realigned routing is under construction. It'll be closer to I-395 and will not have the S-curve along the hill passing the Air Force Memorial. I haven't seen much of the progress because the detour route via Southgate Road was in pretty rotten shape the last time I went that way, so I've made a point of not driving through there if I can avoid it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 06:13:18 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #7126 on: February 22, 2024, 05:09:25 PM »

US 460 no longer appears to be on any part of County Dr or Wagner Rd in Petersburg...not sure if the US 460 BUSINESS there was truncated.

This has to be an error on VDOT's part. Did they route US 460 to continue on I-95 to I-295 and then back north on that to pick it up at Exit 3? That doesn't make any sense.

Actually I saw US 460 on County Dr in Petersburg.

I get that but if they did change something very recently, the signs probably just wasn't taken down yet. But I don't think anything changed.

The LRS continues to show US 460 on County Dr...only Wagner Dr shows as not a primary route on there.

WillWeaverRVA

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:02:04 PM
    • WillWeaverRVA Photography
« Reply #7127 on: February 22, 2024, 05:20:08 PM »

US 460 no longer appears to be on any part of County Dr or Wagner Rd in Petersburg...not sure if the US 460 BUSINESS there was truncated.

This has to be an error on VDOT's part. Did they route US 460 to continue on I-95 to I-295 and then back north on that to pick it up at Exit 3? That doesn't make any sense.

I really wish the map showed overlays because it's hard to tell. Older versions of the map did.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

• Last Login: Today at 06:49:03 AM
« Reply #7128 on: February 22, 2024, 05:51:34 PM »

I get that but if they did change something very recently, the signs probably just wasn't taken down yet. But I don't think anything changed.

The LRS continues to show US 460 on County Dr...only Wagner Dr shows as not a primary route on there.

So if something did change there it would mean US 460 reverted back to being on County Dr in its entirety.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #7129 on: February 22, 2024, 06:10:54 PM »

This happened overnight Sunday night into Monday morning…

NEW SEGMENT OF EXPRESS LANES TO OPEN IN CHESAPEAKE
CHESAPEAKE – Starting as early as overnight Sunday, Feb. 18, into Monday morning, Feb. 19, motorists can enjoy the benefits of a new third travel lane open on I-64 between the I-664/I-264 Bowers Hill interchange and the I-464 interchange in Chesapeake, constructed as part of the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (VDOT) I-64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge Expansion Project. 

These new lanes, combined with VDOT’s recent conversion of the previous HOV-2 restricted lanes to Express Lanes between the I-464 and I-264 interchanges, establishes the new Hampton Roads Express Lanes Chesapeake Segment that will soon operate as high-occupancy tolled Express Lanes to help manage traffic flow and congestion on I-64 between the I-664/I-264 Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake and the I-264 interchange in Norfolk. 

Once these lanes open to traffic, all motorists—whether driving alone or with passengers—are invited to test drive the new Chesapeake Express Lanes toll-free for the next several weeks to familiarize themselves with navigating this new roadway and its multiple entrance and exit points along the corridor.

While final tolling systems testing and installation of remaining white delineator posts and pavement markings are underway, motorists may encounter additional lane closures during the daytime and overnight hours as needed. These closures ensure the safety of our crews while still allowing the region’s motorists the benefit of earlier access to these new travel lanes as soon as possible outside of these closure periods.

Upon the start of Chesapeake’s high-occupancy tolling operations, estimated to begin no earlier than March 17, motorists driving alone will now experience additional commuting choices. These solo drivers are now provided the option to choose the free general purpose lanes or pay a variable toll to use the Express Lanes with an E-ZPass transponder—an option not previously available to solo drivers under the former HOV-2 restrictions during peak travel periods. For vehicles with two or more passengers, the Express Lanes will remain free with a required E-ZPass Flex transponder switched to “HOV-On.” Regardless of which lanes motorists choose, Express Lanes are designed to improve congestion and overall travel times for motorists in both the general purpose and Express Lanes.   

In addition to the Chesapeake Express Lanes operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the tolling operations schedule for the existing I-64 Norfolk Reversible Express Lanes, located between the I-264 and I-564 interchanges, will also transition to continuous high-occupancy tolling operations full-time as soon as the Chesapeake Express Lanes’ tolling begins.

The Chesapeake and Norfolk Reversible Express Lanes will ultimately become a part of an overall continuous 45-mile Express Lanes network on I-64 from the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake to Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News. As traffic demand continues to increase in the region, incorporating the high-occupancy tolling Express Lanes model provides an additional approach to managing congestion long-term and providing a more reliable travel network. 

For more information on the Hampton Roads Express Lanes network, operations, and to view an interactive map, visit www.64expresslanes.org/drive.
After nearly 6 years of construction, originally to be completed in 2021, one new HO/T lane is open to traffic between Bowers Hill (I-64 / I-664 / I-264 / US-58) and I-464 in either direction. For the next month or so, the lanes will be toll free. Beginning mid-March, tolling will be in effect 24/7, and will also become 24/7 in Norfolk in the reversible lanes which were never tolled outside of rush hour. This is a recent change silently made by VDOT, as the new lanes and existing lanes were originally to be 5-9am and 2-6pm tolling only. HOV vehicles with 2 or more passengers and an E-ZPass Flex transponder will be free.

The HOV lane in either direction between I-464 and I-264 in Norfolk has also been repurposed to a HO/T lane and is now divided by a double solid line (and will soon have flex posts installed). The speed limit on the general purpose lanes has been restored to 60 mph, and the express lane has a posted speed limit of 65 mph between either end of I-264.
As I predicted years ago, the single lane issue is happening. You have one lane, no passing permitted for several miles. Speed limit is 65 mph in the Express Lane and “only” 60 mph in the general purpose lanes. Great! You can “pay” to go faster (when there’s no congestion)… but here’s the reality.

One person decides to jump in the Express Lane and crawl along at 55-60 mph minding their own business, completely oblivious to anyone around them. Meanwhile, 7, 8, 9 cars are stacking up behind, stuck for miles. This is happening, time and time again. The general purpose lanes, “only” posted at 60 mph, are moving 70-75 mph free flowing. I’ve found it’s best to avoid the Express Lane unless there’s truly a backup in the general purpose lanes.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 07:30:00 AM
« Reply #7130 on: February 23, 2024, 01:18:19 PM »

Chesterfield County has its own Route Number Document for anyone interested in finding all of the high numbers. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

« Reply #7131 on: February 23, 2024, 03:17:48 PM »

Thanks for posting...

This does not seem to show route overlays, so i wouldn't call VA 80 truncated just yet.

Surprised about VA 410.  I thought i read somewhere the Beaumont facility was going to become part of the park eventually, so I thought VA 313 might get extended over there.  Spring 2023 GMSV has no postings.

Looks like they're treating the entire intermodal connector as just ramps from I-564.

The VA 169 truncation contradicts the 2019 action of the CTB on relinquishing VA 169 from US 258 to VA 351 - https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2019/sep/reso/10.pdf

The relinquished portion of VA 237 between VA 120 and US 50 is shown as VA 237 still.

I completely forgot about the separate ArcGIS map that does show route overlays. That one also does not show VA 80 duplexing with VA 460 at the state line. It also shows US 258 and VA 143 uselessly duplexing on Fort Monroe.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #7132 on: February 25, 2024, 03:39:21 PM »

Chesterfield County has its own Route Number Document for anyone interested in finding all of the high numbers. 

Notably the newest routes (Abercrombie Drive, for example, which was just built in 2023) don’t have numbers listed yet.
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 07:30:00 AM
« Reply #7133 on: February 25, 2024, 03:43:02 PM »

I clarified this morning that VA 410 is currently not posted at all.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

wriddle082

• Give 'em the BIDNESS!

• Last Login: Today at 01:04:15 AM
« Reply #7134 on: February 26, 2024, 04:28:40 PM »

Just drove the I-64 Express Lanes about an hour ago, counter-clockwise, from Bowers Hill to what I like to call the “Higher Rise”.  Indeed, I was stuck behind a car doing 70 when I wanted to go a little faster, and at one point traffic in the GP lanes was moving faster, but for the most part I was moving faster.  What’s really interesting is that the first exit out of the Express Lanes is on the downslope of the “Higher Rise”, which does make sense because it gives access to the next four interchanges, which all come in relatively close succession.  They still have a little bit of work to do at the 464 cloverleaf to separate the C/D lanes from the GP lanes.

All in all, I will pay to use this lane once the tolls start, if my timing is closer to rush hour.  But I still wish they had built two express lanes in each direction.  The left shoulder is wide enough for an additional lane, but it would come at the cost of most of that shoulder.  They really should have just built the barrier wall and drainage culvert pipe so the entire median could be used.  The bridges at least shouldn’t need much additional work.

sprjus4

« Reply #7135 on: February 26, 2024, 05:09:25 PM »

Just drove the I-64 Express Lanes about an hour ago, counter-clockwise, from Bowers Hill to what I like to call the “Higher Rise”.  Indeed, I was stuck behind a car doing 70 when I wanted to go a little faster, and at one point traffic in the GP lanes was moving faster, but for the most part I was moving faster.
You got lucky! My luck seems to be 55-60, or right at 65 (speed limit is 65 mph) - with about 8-14 cars stacked up behind unable to pass, with the GP lanes moving 70+ to my right. My rule of thumb has been use the lanes when the GP lanes have a slowdown, but otherwise avoid them at all cost (even without tolls).

But I still wish they had built two express lanes in each direction.  The left shoulder is wide enough for an additional lane, but it would come at the cost of most of that shoulder.  They really should have just built the barrier wall and drainage culvert pipe so the entire median could be used.  The bridges at least shouldn’t need much additional work.
I believe the left shoulder is 14 ft to accommodate a future “shoulder express lane” that opens during rush hour… when in reality it should be striped as a second HO/T lane full time. Not the first place there would be an express lane without a shoulder… in fact, over in Norfolk they’re removing the general purpose right shoulder permanently - that somehow snuck past the FHWA.

In full truthfulness, the best solution ultimately should be six general purpose lanes… there is genuinely no reason a toll lane is warranted in this area, taking into account traffic volumes and readily available right of way for a future 3 GP + 1-2 HO/T each way if they desired further growth. But the current setup of 2 GP + 1 HO/T is a waste, IMO.

Who knows… we’ll see how effective the lanes become once tolling starts… especially since they’ll be 24/7. No reason to pay outside of those peak hours, so they’ll probably be a ghost town.

WillWeaverRVA

« Reply #7136 on: March 01, 2024, 02:31:39 PM »

So if something did change there it would mean US 460 reverted back to being on County Dr in its entirety.

I went and looked at the version of the ArcGIS map that shows route overlaps to get an idea of how US 460 is routed in the Petersburg area now.

From I-295, US 460 is shown as continuing along County Dr past Wagner Rd into Petersburg. US 460 does not use Wagner Rd at all.

US 460 continues along County Dr to I-95 (exit 50), where it becomes concurrent with I-95. US 460 Business now begins where Winfield Road splits off just east of the I-95 interchange and joins Crater Rd/US 301.

Despite the map showing most overlaps, it doesn't show US 460 along I-95 at all, but I assume it runs concurrent with I-95 before exiting onto I-85 (which it runs concurrent with until exiting at Airport St).

US 460 Business follows Crater Rd/Wythe St/Boydton Plank Rd.

So basically, the US 460 Business appears to have been truncated to I-95 exit 50, and County Dr is regular US 460.
Will Weaver

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #7137 on: March 02, 2024, 01:43:49 PM »

In a related story, VDOT is looking at design studies to rebuild the exit 50 and 52 interchange areas. Proposals include:

-converting the Washington/Wythe exit to either a parclo or a SPUI, with access only to Washington

-converting either two or three of the northbound exit 50 ramps to one, and using an upgraded Winfield Road as access between I-95 and Crater Road in both directions

-getting rid of the one-way splits of Washington & Wythe in their entirety

https://vdot.virginia.gov/projects/richmond-district/petersburg---i-95i-85-interstate-access-stars-study/

There’s also a survey that asks people to rank the alternatives.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:34:08 PM by Takumi »
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Strider

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
« Reply #7138 on: March 02, 2024, 08:57:53 PM »

In a related story, VDOT is looking at design studies to rebuild the exit 50 and 52 interchange areas. Proposals include:

-converting the Washington/Wythe exit to either a parclo or a SPUI

-converting either two or three of the northbound exit 50 ramps to one, and using Winfield Road as access from I-95 to Crater Road in both directions

-getting rid of the one-way splits of Washington & Wythe in their entirety

https://vdot.virginia.gov/projects/richmond-district/petersburg---i-95i-85-interstate-access-stars-study/

There’s also a survey that asks people to rank the alternatives.

I hope they plan on modifiying the I-85/I-95 interchange. I remembered in one of their early studies show the proposed T-directional interchange between I-85 and I-95 with I-95S to I-85S ramp being the flyover and removes the existing loop ramp.

plain

« Reply #7139 on: March 10, 2024, 12:22:03 PM »

Anyone traveling on I-95 through VA today should use I-295 to avoid downtown Richmond. It looks like the project to replace the US 250 Broad St overpass has begun (Broad is shut down) and VDOT has both directions of the interstate using the SB lanes. It's barely after noon and the delays are already significant. I don't think this configuration will be in place for tomorrow morning's rush, at least I hope not.

MX-A65

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 06:55:38 AM
« Reply #7140 on: March 10, 2024, 12:54:20 PM »

Just use the Goog/Waze.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

« Reply #7141 on: March 10, 2024, 05:37:54 PM »

Anyone traveling on I-95 through VA today should use I-295 to avoid downtown Richmond. It looks like the project to replace the US 250 Broad St overpass has begun (Broad is shut down) and VDOT has both directions of the interstate using the SB lanes. It's barely after noon and the delays are already significant. I don't think this configuration will be in place for tomorrow morning's rush, at least I hope not.

MX-A65

The project is supposed to be complete by around 6am tomorrow morning. There will probably be significant residual delays though.
Will Weaver

plain

« Reply #7142 on: March 12, 2024, 10:05:40 AM »

sprjus4

« Reply #7143 on: March 14, 2024, 05:37:17 PM »

This happened overnight Sunday night into Monday morning…

NEW SEGMENT OF EXPRESS LANES TO OPEN IN CHESAPEAKE
CHESAPEAKE – Starting as early as overnight Sunday, Feb. 18, into Monday morning, Feb. 19, motorists can enjoy the benefits of a new third travel lane open on I-64 between the I-664/I-264 Bowers Hill interchange and the I-464 interchange in Chesapeake, constructed as part of the Virginia Department of Transportation’s (VDOT) I-64 Southside Widening and High Rise Bridge Expansion Project. 

These new lanes, combined with VDOT’s recent conversion of the previous HOV-2 restricted lanes to Express Lanes between the I-464 and I-264 interchanges, establishes the new Hampton Roads Express Lanes Chesapeake Segment that will soon operate as high-occupancy tolled Express Lanes to help manage traffic flow and congestion on I-64 between the I-664/I-264 Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake and the I-264 interchange in Norfolk. 

Once these lanes open to traffic, all motorists—whether driving alone or with passengers—are invited to test drive the new Chesapeake Express Lanes toll-free for the next several weeks to familiarize themselves with navigating this new roadway and its multiple entrance and exit points along the corridor.

While final tolling systems testing and installation of remaining white delineator posts and pavement markings are underway, motorists may encounter additional lane closures during the daytime and overnight hours as needed. These closures ensure the safety of our crews while still allowing the region’s motorists the benefit of earlier access to these new travel lanes as soon as possible outside of these closure periods.

Upon the start of Chesapeake’s high-occupancy tolling operations, estimated to begin no earlier than March 17, motorists driving alone will now experience additional commuting choices. These solo drivers are now provided the option to choose the free general purpose lanes or pay a variable toll to use the Express Lanes with an E-ZPass transponder—an option not previously available to solo drivers under the former HOV-2 restrictions during peak travel periods. For vehicles with two or more passengers, the Express Lanes will remain free with a required E-ZPass Flex transponder switched to “HOV-On.” Regardless of which lanes motorists choose, Express Lanes are designed to improve congestion and overall travel times for motorists in both the general purpose and Express Lanes.   

In addition to the Chesapeake Express Lanes operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the tolling operations schedule for the existing I-64 Norfolk Reversible Express Lanes, located between the I-264 and I-564 interchanges, will also transition to continuous high-occupancy tolling operations full-time as soon as the Chesapeake Express Lanes’ tolling begins.

The Chesapeake and Norfolk Reversible Express Lanes will ultimately become a part of an overall continuous 45-mile Express Lanes network on I-64 from the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake to Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News. As traffic demand continues to increase in the region, incorporating the high-occupancy tolling Express Lanes model provides an additional approach to managing congestion long-term and providing a more reliable travel network. 

For more information on the Hampton Roads Express Lanes network, operations, and to view an interactive map, visit www.64expresslanes.org/drive.
After nearly 6 years of construction, originally to be completed in 2021, one new HO/T lane is open to traffic between Bowers Hill (I-64 / I-664 / I-264 / US-58) and I-464 in either direction. For the next month or so, the lanes will be toll free. Beginning mid-March, tolling will be in effect 24/7, and will also become 24/7 in Norfolk in the reversible lanes which were never tolled outside of rush hour. This is a recent change silently made by VDOT, as the new lanes and existing lanes were originally to be 5-9am and 2-6pm tolling only. HOV vehicles with 2 or more passengers and an E-ZPass Flex transponder will be free.

The HOV lane in either direction between I-464 and I-264 in Norfolk has also been repurposed to a HO/T lane and is now divided by a double solid line (and will soon have flex posts installed). The speed limit on the general purpose lanes has been restored to 60 mph, and the express lane has a posted speed limit of 65 mph between either end of I-264.
As I predicted years ago, the single lane issue is happening. You have one lane, no passing permitted for several miles. Speed limit is 65 mph in the Express Lane and “only” 60 mph in the general purpose lanes. Great! You can “pay” to go faster (when there’s no congestion)… but here’s the reality.

One person decides to jump in the Express Lane and crawl along at 55-60 mph minding their own business, completely oblivious to anyone around them. Meanwhile, 7, 8, 9 cars are stacking up behind, stuck for miles. This is happening, time and time again. The general purpose lanes, “only” posted at 60 mph, are moving 70-75 mph free flowing. I’ve found it’s best to avoid the Express Lane unless there’s truly a backup in the general purpose lanes.
Tolling will begin on the new Express Lanes beginning Sunday morning (March 17) at 5am. Additionally, the reversible lanes in Norfolk will now be tolled 24/7. Currently, they are only tolled between 5am-9am and 2pm-6pm. Before 2019, they were only HOV restricted between 7am-9am and 4pm-6pm. Outside of rush hour, the lanes have always been free for all motorist since they were constructed in the 1990s. That will no longer be the case.

When they began construction on the High Rise Bridge project, they said the new lanes would only be tolled during rush hour - the concept of 24/7 tolling was never to implemented. After the public hearings for the project and construction began, they quietly switched it behind the scenes, meaning a project that was fully funded by tax dollars ($500 million) will now also collect tolls to fund… who knows what - even at 3am when there’s virtually nobody on the road.

Another situation very analogous to what this same state did on I-95 in Northern Virginia.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 05:39:50 PM by sprjus4 »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.