AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695164 times)

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: Delaware
« Reply #1325 on: April 18, 2019, 11:02:42 AM »

^ It's safer for those at the overpass location.  It's those folks a few miles upstream or downstream of the overpass who now have a more dangerous crossing because the elimination of the signal eliminates gaps in traffic.  In this case, it would make the Route 5 intersection and the junctions down by the Eagle Crest Airport (and everyone who lives in between) more problematic.

Tonytone

• Last Login: February 26, 2024, 02:09:57 PM
    • ValuezTV
« Reply #1326 on: April 18, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »

^ It's safer for those at the overpass location.  It's those folks a few miles upstream or downstream of the overpass who now have a more dangerous crossing because the elimination of the signal eliminates gaps in traffic.  In this case, it would make the Route 5 intersection and the junctions down by the Eagle Crest Airport (and everyone who lives in between) more problematic.
If thats the case they can build over pass bridges that cross the highway like they do everywhere else. Is that to much to do? They did it on I-95 60 years ago & they did it on the New 301 in present time.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:12 AM
« Reply #1327 on: April 18, 2019, 11:31:01 AM »

If thats the case they can build over pass bridges that cross the highway like they do everywhere else. Is that to much to do? They did it on I-95 60 years ago & they did it on the New 301 in present time.
again, there's significant cost involved.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #1328 on: April 18, 2019, 11:35:55 AM »

again, there's significant cost involved.
So we are already building a highway right? The people in the area that you want to compromise with in order to build the highway want a way to get over the highway safely & effectively, but taking a couple more planning days & earning more budget to do the project correctly is not worth the money &/ time spent.

This is why Deldot fails at getting stuff done. It all is starting to make sense. Its the residents & deldot who wont compromise. Who woulda thought.

Atleast the highway is getting closer to being finished.

iPhone

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1329 on: April 18, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »

^^^ There's a huge difference you're completely ignoring.  I-95 and the New 301 were new-construction/new-alignment projects.  Route 1 south of Milford (really south of Little Heaven) is an existing, long-established roadway with homes, businesses, and private driveways all along it.  You can't just ramrod interchanges and overpasses along such a roadway without planning, accommodation, property purchase, mitigation, or funding.  But you seem to think it's DelDOT's failure that they haven't.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #1330 on: April 18, 2019, 11:45:19 AM »

^^^ There's a huge difference you're completely ignoring.  I-95 and the New 301 were new-construction/new-alignment projects.  Route 1 south of Milford (really south of Little Heaven) is an existing, long-established roadway with homes, businesses, and private driveways all along it.  You can't just ramrod interchanges and overpasses along such a roadway without planning, accommodation, property purchase, mitigation, or funding.  But you seem to think it's DelDOT's failure that they haven't.
How about DelDOT launch a study to evaluate upgrading DE-1 to interstate standards, or constructing that new alignment? I'm not saying that's the option they should choose, but it should at least be considered to get a cost estimate.

Also, if safety is an issue, R-CUTS can be used, and other innovative intersections, if a full freeway is not warranted.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #1331 on: April 18, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »

^^^ There's a huge difference you're completely ignoring.  I-95 and the New 301 were new-construction/new-alignment projects.  Route 1 south of Milford (really south of Little Heaven) is an existing, long-established roadway with homes, businesses, and private driveways all along it.
Yes & also there are many stretches where it is just trees and farm fields. But maybe if they create these new overpasses over the highway it will cause new roads to be built & then the infamous home builders will start breathing down deldots neck. So I can understand they dont want to do that.

But people are complaining Nimbys are 75% why projects get canceled alot of times & its a shame to see. Is it hard to have a simple highway from the Christiana mall to the beaches. That should have been completed.

iPhone

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:42 AM
« Reply #1332 on: April 18, 2019, 12:20:03 PM »

^^^ There's a huge difference you're completely ignoring.  I-95 and the New 301 were new-construction/new-alignment projects.  Route 1 south of Milford (really south of Little Heaven) is an existing, long-established roadway with homes, businesses, and private driveways all along it.
Yes & also there are many stretches where it is just trees and farm fields. But maybe if they create these new overpasses over the highway it will cause new roads to be built & then the infamous home builders will start breathing down deldots neck. So I can understand they dont want to do that.

But people are complaining Nimbys are 75% why projects get canceled alot of times & its a shame to see. Is it hard to have a simple highway from the Christiana mall to the beaches. That should have been completed.

iPhone
Completely agree on the NIMBYs causing issues. They were the ones who prevented US-301 from getting upgraded between DE-1 and Maryland to interstate standards. Now, only spot improvements proposed like DE-1 is getting.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #1333 on: May 02, 2019, 09:45:04 PM »

Delaware Memorial Bridge Toll is now officially @$5

iPhone

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #1334 on: May 02, 2019, 09:49:10 PM »

iPhone

The below link shows the new toll rates.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/05/01/delaware-memorial-bridge-toll-rates-to-increase-may-1/
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #1335 on: May 02, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »

iPhone

The below link shows the new toll rates.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/05/01/delaware-memorial-bridge-toll-rates-to-increase-may-1/
Oh my goodness, are those discounts I see for Ezpass & frequent travelers. I thought discounts were a myth nowadays.

iPhone

74/171FAN

« Reply #1336 on: May 07, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »

A public workshop on the planned relocation of US 9 TRUCK in Georgetown will be on May 28th.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ipeters61

• Last Login: December 12, 2020, 07:13:45 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1337 on: May 14, 2019, 11:06:35 PM »

DelDOT secretary Jennifer Cohan wrote into the Cape Gazette regarding the proposed grade separations on Route 1 (specifically at Route 16): https://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-makes-data-driven-decisions/180270
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

ipeters61

• Personal Website
« Reply #1338 on: May 18, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »

Some photos from today's ribbon cutting of the DE-1/DE-14 interchange in Milford.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #1339 on: May 24, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »

DelDOT is pushing even harder in Sussex County to get some of their traffic woes resolved according to this article published by the Cape Gazette.

Things to note:
  • Several median crossings along SR 1 from Primehook Road down to Lewes will be closed or have movements restricted in the near future.
  • An extension of Airport Road is proposed between SR 24 and Old Landing Road.
  • The Plantation Road / SR 1D project evolved drastically since the last public update on it. The project is now being split into 2 phases, the first of which will add an extra lane to SB SR 1D from SR 23 to Robinsonville Road as well as construct a multi-lane roundabout at SR 23, SR 1D, and the connector to US 9 / SR 404. The second phase per the article and per DelDOT's website will widen SR 1D to two lanes in each direction between (I assume) SR 24 and SR 23.
    Plantation Road Phase 1 with graphic
    Plantation Road Phase 2 (graphic is out of date)
  • A traffic capacity study along SR 404 from the Maryland line to either Georgetown or Lewes (not sure of the endpoint as the article specifically says Georgetown, but includes the US 9 portion of the corridor) is proposed or gearing up to start. This could be the start of some more comprehensive improvements to upgrade the corridor to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge but it's far too early to tell.
  • Something akin to the abandoned Western Parkway proposal from the 2000s may end up being partially revived. Some representatives are calling for some of the still-open land to be set aside for at least the US 9 to SR 24 portion, and this was a major suggestion from the ongoing Five Points Study.
  • Capital Transportation Program plans, which summarize all the projects being slated to start and gives a look at new projects, are only being put together biyearly now starting this year.
👉😎👉

ipeters61

• Personal Website
« Reply #1340 on: May 24, 2019, 08:47:46 PM »

DelDOT is pushing even harder in Sussex County to get some of their traffic woes resolved according to this article published by the Cape Gazette.
It makes sense that they're considering partial closures of the crossovers on DE-1.  I've thought of DE-1 between US-9 and DE-9 as a much more heavily used version of US-301 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  Very high speed traffic (experience has shown me that traffic moves around 70-75 on both roads, despite 55mph limits) combined with intersections with rural roads, I always question how people have the courage to cross DE-1, especially in the summer.

I've crossed US-301 (at MD-302) coming from Dover a few times to get to the Bay Bridge, but at least there's usually a break in traffic on 301, but as I said, volumes are so much lower on that road that it's a completely different animal.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Alex4897

« Reply #1341 on: May 24, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »

It makes sense that they're considering partial closures of the crossovers on DE-1.  I've thought of DE-1 between US-9 and DE-9 as a much more heavily used version of US-301 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  Very high speed traffic (experience has shown me that traffic moves around 70-75 on both roads, despite 55mph limits) combined with intersections with rural roads, I always question how people have the courage to cross DE-1, especially in the summer.

I've crossed US-301 (at MD-302) coming from Dover a few times to get to the Bay Bridge, but at least there's usually a break in traffic on 301, but as I said, volumes are so much lower on that road that it's a completely different animal.

Those crossovers can get awful during the summer, the Cave Neck Road one sticks out as being a spot where I've seen quite a few near misses. I'm surprised it took them this long to get around to a project like this given that they've been pretty diligent in getting the ones on US 113 taken care of, but at least it's getting done.
👉😎👉

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #1342 on: May 25, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »

One thing I can say, is that DelDOT is very consistent with light poles.

Anyway, so Milford Bypass is one more step to becoming a freeway.  Impressed! 

Also its so odd to see both routes on signs together given that DE 1 was created to replace most of DE 14 as the two digit route here was the one that went to Fenwick Island and defaulted into MD 528 once upon a time when US 9 did not even exist in Delaware and DE 28 was a route.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Alex4897

« Reply #1344 on: July 05, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »

👉😎👉

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #1345 on: July 05, 2019, 10:35:29 PM »

The speed limit on DE 1 from Tybouts Corner to I-95 is being raised from 55 mph to 60 mph.

If you can even go that fast, especially southbound during afternoon rush hour or during peak beach traffic on weekends

ipeters61

• Personal Website
« Reply #1346 on: July 06, 2019, 11:34:36 AM »

The speed limit on DE 1 from Tybouts Corner to I-95 is being raised from 55 mph to 60 mph.

Thank goodness, that limit drove me nuts. It's pretty much universally ignored.
Personally, unless I'm heading up towards Christiana Mall or somewhere on Limestone Road/Kennett Square, I never drive on that stretch of DE-1, it's just too crowded.  I take US-13/40 if I'm heading towards Wilmington, Philadelphia, or New Jersey or take DE-71 or DE-896 if I'm heading towards Newark/Lancaster.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
Delaware
« Reply #1347 on: July 06, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »

Thank goodness, that limit drove me nuts. It's pretty much universally ignored.
Personally, unless I'm heading up towards Christiana Mall or somewhere on Limestone Road/Kennett Square, I never drive on that stretch of DE-1, it's just too crowded.  I take US-13/40 if I'm heading towards Wilmington, Philadelphia, or New Jersey or take DE-71 or DE-896 if I'm heading towards Newark/Lancaster.
Its a good transition from the 1 to 95 & etc. It will help people who were driving from 55-65 to now 60-80.

Even though most people ignore it. “Nimbys”  tend to drive a little slower dont they?

When they add that 3rd lane on SB 1 from the mall to the Tybouts it will definitely eliminate the traffic worm that is from the 95 ramps to the mall when you drive on SB1.

Its interesting after they built the 95 flyover ramps that they didn’t atleast extend the Christiana mall exit & 273 exit to have atleast 3 lanes that stay, instead of all merging into 2 lanes & the 273 exit lane is an exit only.

Edit: I hope everyone had a great 4th

Edittotheedit: Yes I agree peter and alex.

Its funny how 13/40 moves faster then 95 sometimes. Even airport road is the fastest when 95/295 are backed up.

iPhone
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:01:10 PM by Tonytone »

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #1348 on: July 06, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »

If you can even go that fast, especially southbound during afternoon rush hour or during peak beach traffic on weekends

Speed limits aren't set for congested rush hour traffic. They're set for the other 22 hours of the day traffic flows unimpeded.

ipeters61

• Personal Website
« Reply #1349 on: July 06, 2019, 10:17:17 PM »

Its funny how 13/40 moves faster then 95 sometimes. Even airport road is the fastest when 95/295 are backed up.
For me, it's not even a matter of 13/40 moving faster than 95 at 295, I just really don't like driving on that stretch of road.  Granted, 13/40 isn't much fun either, but at least all the lanes generally move consistently.  Also, I tend to have a preference for the shorter route vs. the "faster" route.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.