AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695128 times)

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
Re: Delaware
« Reply #800 on: August 13, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »

I'm guessing this is on the Delaware side of the bridge? I know US Route 13 doesn't enter New Jersey.
It doesn't, although Morrisville, Pennsylvania, where it reaches its northern terminus, is close.

And as it goes through Chester, Trainer, and Marcus Hook, you'd never know 13 is the same highway that's a dual road between Minquadale, DE and the CBBT.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #801 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »

Newly released information on the upcoming makeover of Main Street through Newark:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2017/08/16/deldot-newark-unveil-plans-main-street-makeover/572043001/
👉😎👉

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #802 on: September 25, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »

US 202 between I-95 and the PA state line was rededicated as "Gold Star Highway" today:
http://www.deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=6780

U.S. 202 Rededicated as the Gold Star Highway in Honor of Families of Soldiers

The Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) announced today the rededication of U.S. 202 from the Delaware/ Pennsylvania line south to the I 95 interchange as the Gold Star Highway. Transportation Secretary Jennifer Cohan along with Governor John Carney made the announcement to an assembled audience within the sculpture garden of the Blue Ball Barn. Formalizing the event, the Governor proclaimed Monday, September 25, 2017 as "Delaware Gold Star Mothers' and Families' Day".

CNN has described the Gold Star designation as a venerated status that no one wants. For nearly 100 years, inclusion has been earned for losing an immediate family member serving during war/conflict. A Gold Star Lapel Button is issued to immediate family members of those who have lost their lives in the defense of democracy during WWI and II, and any subsequent armed hostilities in which the United States became engaged. It is also issued for Act of Terrorism deaths. Formal recognition of these families was launched in 1947 by an Act of Congress. The Next of Kin Lapel Button was authorized retroactive to March 29, 1973, for those who lost their lives while serving on active duty in other than a combat theatre or act of terrorism.

This is the first I've heard about this, I wonder how hard the new name is going to be pushed over the current "Concord Pike" name on signage.
👉😎👉

ixnay

« Reply #803 on: September 25, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »

The POW/MIA Parkway in West Dover was dedicated on Sept. 15.

http://delawarestatenews.net/news/west-dover-connector-opens-new-road-honors-powmias/

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Aerobird

• Last Login: October 22, 2017, 12:28:59 AM
« Reply #804 on: September 26, 2017, 12:08:16 AM »

This is the first I've heard about this, I wonder how hard the new name is going to be pushed over the current "Concord Pike" name on signage.

Probably about as much as "Pearl Harbor Memorial Highway" is over "Interstate 10" here in Florida.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #805 on: September 26, 2017, 06:13:22 AM »

US 202 between I-95 and the PA state line was rededicated as "Gold Star Highway" today:
http://www.deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=6780

U.S. 202 Rededicated as the Gold Star Highway in Honor of Families of Soldiers

The Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) announced today the rededication of U.S. 202 from the Delaware/ Pennsylvania line south to the I 95 interchange as the Gold Star Highway. Transportation Secretary Jennifer Cohan along with Governor John Carney made the announcement to an assembled audience within the sculpture garden of the Blue Ball Barn. Formalizing the event, the Governor proclaimed Monday, September 25, 2017 as "Delaware Gold Star Mothers' and Families' Day".

CNN has described the Gold Star designation as a venerated status that no one wants. For nearly 100 years, inclusion has been earned for losing an immediate family member serving during war/conflict. A Gold Star Lapel Button is issued to immediate family members of those who have lost their lives in the defense of democracy during WWI and II, and any subsequent armed hostilities in which the United States became engaged. It is also issued for Act of Terrorism deaths. Formal recognition of these families was launched in 1947 by an Act of Congress. The Next of Kin Lapel Button was authorized retroactive to March 29, 1973, for those who lost their lives while serving on active duty in other than a combat theatre or act of terrorism.

It won't, except in some DelDOT news releases. Traffic reports won't mention it, just like they don't mention the John F. Kennedy Highway rather than I-95.

jcn

• Last Login: December 05, 2020, 01:10:45 PM
« Reply #806 on: September 27, 2017, 01:04:20 AM »

I'm guessing this is on the Delaware side of the bridge? I know US Route 13 doesn't enter New Jersey.
It doesn't, although Morrisville, Pennsylvania, where it reaches its northern terminus, is close.

And as it goes through Chester, Trainer, and Marcus Hook, you'd never know 13 is the same highway that's a dual road between Minquadale, DE and the CBBT.

ixnay

And it's southern terminus is at I-95 near Fayetteville, NC.  Did anyone know that?

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #807 on: September 27, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »

ixnay

And it's southern terminus is at I-95 near Fayetteville, NC.  Did anyone know that?
Thank you for your assistance. Someone will be in contact with you shortly for your award.

jcn

« Reply #808 on: September 28, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »

Living in Wilmington for several years, I've noticed how on Interstate 95 at the 9th Street overpass, the pillar on the southbound side is completely different than the ones on the northbound side and in the median.  Why do you think that is?

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #809 on: September 28, 2017, 11:55:39 PM »

Living in Wilmington for several years, I've noticed how on Interstate 95 at the 9th Street overpass, the pillar on the southbound side is completely different than the ones on the northbound side and in the median.  Why do you think that is?
Probably magic.

ETA: What the heck, actually? https://goo.gl/maps/QSQhNhBKkVo
ETA2: And it happens with all the pillars at 10th Street, but nowhere else.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:01:15 AM by Alps »

jcn

« Reply #810 on: September 29, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »

You are right about how the pillars at the 9th and 10th Street overpasses (minus the one on the southbound end of the 9th street overpass) are very unique.  With the 95 connection ramps in Bucks County, PA opening next August, it's possible that very soon, some through traffic will see those unique pillars as well.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #811 on: September 29, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »

You are right about how the pillars at the 9th and 10th Street overpasses (minus the one on the southbound end of the 9th street overpass) are very unique.  With the 95 connection ramps in Bucks County, PA opening next August, it's possible that very soon, some through traffic will see those unique pillars as well.

It looks like just some reinforcement to the existing bridge support.

I've seen something like this elsewhere, but not to this extent.

Most thru traffic though will never look at the bridge supports though.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #812 on: September 29, 2017, 08:46:17 AM »

No doubt, you likely had this one in mind when you typed the above.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

« Reply #813 on: September 29, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

No doubt, you likely had this one in mind when you typed the above.

You're probably right about that!

seicer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:08 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #814 on: September 29, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »

This is common in other states on aging bridges. It's a cheaper way to reinforce a bridge.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #815 on: September 29, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »

This is common in other states on aging bridges. It's a cheaper way to reinforce a bridge.
Cheaper than what? Extra columns? Also the bridges don't even look that old, though maybe because they're nice and polished white.

ixnay

« Reply #816 on: September 29, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »

Cheaper than what? Extra columns? Also the bridges don't even look that old, though maybe because they're nice and polished white.

Ninety-five through Wilmington city was built in the mid-'60's.

ixnay

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 01:13:28 AM
« Reply #817 on: September 29, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »

This looks to me like a retrofitted crash wall, designed to redirect an errant truck longitudinally so it doesn't take the bridge down.  Since the I-80 Big Springs bridge collapse in Nebraska, there has been some research interest in ways to make bridges less vulnerable to impact loads from large trucks.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jcn

« Reply #818 on: September 30, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »

Ninety-five through Wilmington city was built in the mid-'60's.

ixnay

Yes, and I remember that the pillars weren't originally white.  They painted them white in the mid 2000's I believe.

But, like I said does anyone have any idea why at the 9th street overpass, the northbound and median pillars have that extra reinforcement, and the southbound one doesn't?

Also, you are right, JeffandNicole, that through traffic on 95 through Wilmington won't increase much when the ramps open.  One, because a lot of people will probably continue to get on 295 and take that to the Jersey Turnpike like they do now, and two, for those that do decide switch over to the 95 path through Philly when the ramps open, will probably use the 495 bypass around Wilmington, which they should. 

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #819 on: November 05, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »

Hey, I found another Delaware House... but it's in Pennsylvania:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Delaware_House_-_panoramio.jpg

:D :)

ixnay

« Reply #820 on: November 07, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »

DE 141 between DE 48 and DE 52 is becoming a bottleneck due to concrete replacement.

https://www.deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=6834

ixnay

ixnay

« Reply #821 on: November 15, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »

On DE 1 coming off the Milford bypass SB, approaching the interchange for DE 30, the countdown signs have been replaced.  Instead of pitching "Lincoln" in Clearview, they pitch "Lincoln/Milford" in post-Clearview MUTCD.

I imagine that interchange will get real busy once the new hospital in that vicinity is finished a year or so from now.

Meanwhile over on U.S. 113, improvements are on the way.  They'll come not a minute too soon, especially in the Millsboro/Dagsboro stretch.

http://coastalpoint.com/content/route-113-overpasses-coming-central-sussex-county_11_09_2017

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/millsboro-connector-top-priority-u-s-113-corridor-plan/

ixnay
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:27:16 PM by ixnay »

ixnay

« Reply #822 on: November 16, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »

Back on DE 1, as DE 1 comes into Fenwick Island, it becomes "Fisher Edwards Memorial Boulevard".

I assumed it was named for one person until I came across this via Google (from 1974)...

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/157186788/

FENWICK ISLAND - The Fenwick Town Council has decided to delay until next month consideration of a replacement for Councilman J. Livingston Edwards, who died two weeks ago. Possible replacements will be discussed at the February council meeting. Edwards' term expires in August. The council has also decided to ask the State Highway Division to rename the portion of Delaware 14 that goes through Fenwick the '"Fisher-Edwards Memorial Highway" for Edmond Fisher, one of the town founders and a former councilman, and Edwards. The two men died within a few months of each other and had been active in town affairs for many years.

ixnay
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:35:49 PM by ixnay »

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #823 on: November 16, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »

Hey, it's the next best thing to making a freeway on the Atlantic Coast.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ixnay

« Reply #824 on: November 16, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »

Hey, it's the next best thing to making a freeway on the Atlantic Coast.

:thumbsup:

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.