AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695093 times)

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
Re: Delaware
« Reply #825 on: November 16, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »

Hey, it's the next best thing to making a freeway on the Atlantic Coast.

:thumbsup:

ixnay

Memo to Delmarva Power:  Replace those ugly power poles on SB DE 1 between Indian River Inlet and Fred Hudson Road.  They are rusting away and look ugly as a result.   :wow:

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #826 on: December 06, 2017, 08:05:33 PM »

DelDOT held a workshop for a potential overhaul for the I-95 / DE 896 interchange yesterday, here are the three alternatives they presented in order of what they deemed "best."

Alternative 1 - Dual Flyovers

Alternative 2 - Single Flyover

Alternative 3 - DDI / Parclo Mashup...?

Alternative 1 seems to be the favorite in terms of both traffic improvements and land impacts, the dual flyovers keep as many of the movements as free flowing as possible and don't encroach on the neighboring Iron Hill Park.  The second two alternatives require cutting slightly into the park to fit a smoother, now two lane loop ramp connecting DE 896 SB with I-95 NB.  All three of the alternatives move the gore point for the I-95 SB exit ramps significantly farther back to around the DE 72 overpass.
👉😎👉

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #827 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »

I hope alt 3 is selected just because there's nothing like it anywhere else. But really, what's the problem here? Is it the SB weave between cloverloops? If so 2 is probably the best option, to avoid too much encouragement of shunpiking by making 896 SB any more free-flowing.

Alex4897

« Reply #828 on: December 06, 2017, 10:17:56 PM »

I hope alt 3 is selected just because there's nothing like it anywhere else. But really, what's the problem here? Is it the SB weave between cloverloops? If so 2 is probably the best option, to avoid too much encouragement of shunpiking by making 896 SB any more free-flowing.

The I-95 SB to DE 896 SB movement is simply overcapacity and underdesigned.  Between the congestion, the truck traffic, and the slow speeds required to navigate it it frequently causes the right lanes of I-95 to back up past the DE 72 overpass.  The weave once you get onto DE 896 is also incredibly hectic, which doesn't help at all.

The DE 896 NB to I-95 NB ramp, while busy, doesn't really get all that backed up.  Its problem is the sharp corner at the bottom of a relatively steep hill that frequently catches truckers off-guard, often in a spectacular way.  This is the ramp that caused the Newark bee incident a few years back.  I think another semi flipped here just this past week too.
👉😎👉

Roadsguy

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 05:39:14 PM
« Reply #829 on: December 06, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »

I suppose the new 301 connection to DE 1 would take the 301-bound traffic out of this interchange, but I'm sure they took that into account and that it still needs improvements otherwise.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #830 on: December 07, 2017, 12:34:58 AM »

I suppose the new 301 connection to DE 1 would take the 301-bound traffic out of this interchange, but I'm sure they took that into account and that it still needs improvements otherwise.
Well, if not going to 301, and not diverting to 40 (trucks especially) to shun the pike, what else is the reason to take 896 here? They may as well reinstate the Exit 1 ramp tolls.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #831 on: December 07, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »

There's a lot of locals that take this exit, both towards Newark and Bear.  Actually, the 95 South to 896 South may be the heavier of the two during afternoon rush hours.  And because of traffic that insists on cutting in at the last moment, there's a lot of accidents in this area.  I've seen traffic backing up a few miles approaching this exit, and because of the 'staying left until late' effect, it can slow the whole highway between the Delaware Service Plaza and Exit 1. 

Of course, there's the shun-piking that goes on here too, but during the rush hour that's fairly minor compared to all the Delaware tags that are seen using these ramps.

Personally, #2 should do the job.  #1 is good but a little overkill.  #3 is designed by the intern who absolutely must redesign even the simplest intersection between every driveway and side street into an interchange with a DDI.

301 traffic really isn't a congestion-causing issue here, because the delays come from the locals in the area during rush hour.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #832 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »

There's a lot of locals that take this exit, both towards Newark and Bear.  Actually, the 95 South to 896 South may be the heavier of the two during afternoon rush hours.  And because of traffic that insists on cutting in at the last moment, there's a lot of accidents in this area.  I've seen traffic backing up a few miles approaching this exit, and because of the 'staying left until late' effect, it can slow the whole highway between the Delaware Service Plaza and Exit 1. 

Of course, there's the shun-piking that goes on here too, but during the rush hour that's fairly minor compared to all the Delaware tags that are seen using these ramps.

Personally, #2 should do the job.  #1 is good but a little overkill.  #3 is designed by the intern who absolutely must redesign even the simplest intersection between every driveway and side street into an interchange with a DDI.

301 traffic really isn't a congestion-causing issue here, because the delays come from the locals in the area during rush hour.

I always thought the most direct shun-piking used 896 NB to DE 4 and DE 279, at least until they rehab DE 279 and take it down to one lane in each direction during construction.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #833 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »

I always thought the most direct shun-piking used 896 NB to DE 4 and DE 279, at least until they rehab DE 279 and take it down to one lane in each direction during construction.
If one's in a passenger vehicle, yes; but if one's in a commercial truck, that route does has a signed 'Thru-Truck' traffic prohibition.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #834 on: December 11, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »

More on the I-95/SR 896 interchange redesign Alex posted about up thread.

DelDOT unveils ideas for improving I-95/Del. 896 interchange

The Delaware Department of Transportation is studying several options for redesigning the Interstate 95 and Del. 896 interchange in Newark.

The busy interchange has seen 400 crashes in the last four years, project manager Breanna Kovach said.

“We have an immediate safety need, and in the future, volumes are going to increase,”  Kovach said. “We need to fix it.”

The project is estimated to cost between $124 million and $141 million. Each of the proposals would improve the interchange, but the more expensive option offers the most improvement, Kovach said.

DelDOT is accepting public comments for the next month and will announce its preferred design in the spring.

Construction could begin as early as the summer of 2022 and will take nearly three years to complete, Kovach said.

For more information, visit https://deldot.gov/information/projects/i95/i95_sr896/index.shtml.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #835 on: December 11, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »

More on the I-95/SR 896 interchange redesign Alex posted about up thread.

DelDOT unveils ideas for improving I-95/Del. 896 interchange

Here is my irreverent suggestion  - bring back the ramp tolls that were originally part of this interchange, so southbound I-95 traffic to DE-896 and DE-896 to northbound I-95 have to pay tolls to exit and enter, respectively. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #836 on: December 11, 2017, 10:11:41 PM »

^ With AET, you don't even need ramp tolls...just put a mainline overhead up somewhere east of DE 896 and lower the tolls at the state line accordingly.

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #837 on: December 12, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »

^ With AET, you don't even need ramp tolls...just put a mainline overhead up somewhere east of DE 896 and lower the tolls at the state line accordingly.
There are two ways to do it and capture all of the traffic you want to capture. Given that you're talking AET, the existing booths would have to be significantly reworked anyway. So you can either build two new mainline gantries, or one new mainline gantry and two ramp gantries. From experience, the easiest solution by far is to get all of the toll points as close together as possible, meaning locate the mainline AET just beyond the 896 interchange so that it can possibly share infrastructure with the ramp tolls.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #838 on: December 12, 2017, 06:20:08 AM »

Delaware makes sure that they are inconveniencing their residents the least, which is why I-95 only has one toll at the state border, and why DE 1's tolls are $1 weekdays but $3 on the weekends.

If a toll point were to be installed north of Rt. 896, it would dramatically increase the number of vehicles exiting at Rt. 273.  The interchange is already over-utilized at rush hour, and traffic would then try to get to Old Baltimore Pike, a wide but 1-lane per direction roadway which congests already.  This would all wind up in the thread regarding fixing one problem but creating problems elsewhere.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #839 on: December 12, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »

That would be a fine idea.  It's about equity.  Delaware needs to ask its own residents to pay some part of the Delaware Turnpike tolls.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #840 on: December 12, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »

Delaware makes sure that they are inconveniencing their residents the least, which is why I-95 only has one toll at the state border, and why DE 1's tolls are $1 weekdays but $3 on the weekends.

If a toll point were to be installed north of Rt. 896, it would dramatically increase the number of vehicles exiting at Rt. 273.  The interchange is already over-utilized at rush hour, and traffic would then try to get to Old Baltimore Pike, a wide but 1-lane per direction roadway which congests already.  This would all wind up in the thread regarding fixing one problem but creating problems elsewhere.

In my fantasy  world, Delaware would be tolling all traffic on the Delaware Turnpike part of I-95 - from the mainline barrier between the state line and DE-896, as far east (north) as present-day Exit 4 at DE-7. 

I do not remember there being any tolls on the ramps at DE-141 or beyond.

PHLBOS

« Reply #841 on: December 12, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »

In my fantasy  world, Delaware would be tolling all traffic on the Delaware Turnpike part of I-95 - from the mainline barrier between the state line and DE-896, as far east (north) as present-day Exit 4 at DE-7.
Do keep in mind that the original plan for the Delaware Turnpike portion of I-95 was to have all the tolls eliminated once the original bonds that initially built the road were paid off. 

By beyond I'm assuming that you mean north or east of the DE 141 interchange.  There's good reason for that.  I-95 north of there is not part of the Delaware Turnpike system.

Anyway if Delaware was serious about reducing traffic exiting and bypassing the tollbooths (which are only there because of that portion of I-95 is the Delaware Turnpike and not due to waterway crossing); they could rationalize (i.e. lower) that extortion-like $4 toll and/or reinstate E-ZPass discounts.  While doing such would mean that less money would be collected per vehicle; the overall revenue collected could be higher and the local roads won't be as flooded with through-traffic as it is now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

« Reply #842 on: December 12, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »

Do keep in mind that the original plan for the Delaware Turnpike portion of I-95 was to have all the tolls eliminated once the original bonds that initially built the road were paid off. 

By beyond I'm assuming that you mean north or east of the DE 141 interchange.  There's good reason for that.  I-95 north of there is not part of the Delaware Turnpike system.

Anyway if Delaware was serious about reducing traffic exiting and bypassing the tollbooths (which are only there because of that portion of I-95 is the Delaware Turnpike and not due to waterway crossing); they could rationalize (i.e. lower) that extortion-like $4 toll and/or reinstate E-ZPass discounts.  While doing such would mean that less money would be collected per vehicle; the overall revenue collected could be higher and the local roads won't be as flooded with through-traffic as it is now.

How much traffic is actually diverting from I-95 that would've continued on I-95?

Once you get off the exit, there doesn't seem to be any real congestion issues caused by those on 896 North who eventually go to 279.  Likewise, those on 896 South that go to Old Baltimore Pike appear to be headed towards Elkton, and it's doubtful they would remain on 95 regardless of the toll since the time savings is minimal...or would even cause them to backtrack.  Traffic levels on 279 in Maryland always appear to be light.  Traffic levels on 896 in Delaware always appear to be in line with traffic on 273 around 95, which isn't a shunpike route. 

There's always plenty of talk on here as if half the traffic on 95 exits to avoid the toll, but that's not really the case.  And there's people on here that have stated they'll always avoid that toll plaza regardless of the toll.

Even if 10% of the traffic detours off I-95 to simply continue to I-95, if the goal is to keep every single one of those drivers on 95 it would mean tolls could only fall about 10% to $3.60 in order to maintain the status quo.  Since most people that avoid the toll now will probably continue to do so, it'll result in a net loss for Delaware.

Do some people use US 40 to avoid the I-95 toll?  Probably.   I can't imagine too many of them jumping over to I-95 willing to pay $3 compared to $4.  I think, as discussed here, many people use US 40 to avoid the traffic on I-95.  If reducing the toll on I-95 is done to encourage people to stay on I-95, motorists aren't going to suddenly pay a reduced toll if there's more traffic.

PHLBOS

« Reply #843 on: December 12, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »

^^Such was discussed nearly 3 years ago in this thread several pages back starting at Reply #455 in response to an article about trucks bypassing the Delaware Turnpike's tolls & increased patrols along 896 between I-95 and the MD line.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

« Reply #844 on: December 12, 2017, 11:07:44 PM »

I suppose the revenues collected at the one toll point were too juicy to give up.  Supposedly a lot of that money goes for projects that have nothing to do with the Delaware Turnpike, including in far-away (by Delaware standards) Sussex County.

Yes, I meant north  or east of DE-141 (I remember when the Delaware Turnpike ramp tolls were still in place, but I was not sure how away from the mainline barrier they were).

I do remember that there were never ramp tolls on I-295 in Delaware. 

The first time I drove I-95 north of I-295 in Delaware (through Wilmington), it was after the ramp tolls were gone (but before the I-495 bypass freeway was built).  I think I-95 at the time ended at PA-291 near Philadelphia Airport, and I-476 was not built.

roadman65

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #845 on: December 13, 2017, 12:17:24 AM »

I remember when I-95 ended at PA 291, and I-476 was just signed for MacDade Blvd.   The SB side opened in the Philadelphia Airport area in 1985 and using PA 291 was a mess between the completed segments.

Yes I remember the unmanned ramp tolls in Delaware too.  I thought it was odd that there were no booths, but now we have them frequently in Florida and in many areas no cash tolls.    I also remember the fare for the Delaware Memorial Bridge was only 60 cents as tolls were usually increased by only 5 or 10 cents at the time as the dollar value was more and a 10 cent hike was considered to be steep.   The bridge stayed at 60 cents for a long time.  I do not remember what the Turnpike mainline toll was, but in MD it was 90 cents to cross the Susquehanna River which I think was more than the Delaware Turnpike. MD House was the only service area on the JFK and yes it had unmanned ramp tolls too. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #846 on: December 13, 2017, 08:01:29 AM »

The DelPike's toll booth actually rated a postcard that found its way to Ebay...

And here are Kennedy and Govs. J. Millard Tawes (MD) (left) and Elbert "Bert" Carvel (DE) (right) at the dedication of the Wilmington-to-Baltimore DE 141-to-MD 43 segment, with a replica Mason-Dixon stone in the median.  The MD segment was originally called the Northeastern Expressway. 

A week later, JFK went to Dallas.

And a Baltimore Sun retrospective article about the opening.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/fallston-joppa/ph-ag-jfk-highway-50-anniversary-1113-20131114-story.html

ixnay
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:20:06 PM by ixnay »
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #847 on: December 20, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »

Was heading south from Wilmington last night on I-95 and noticed new APL signs for I-295 North.  The interesting thing is they have now assigned an exit number (5C) to I-295 going southbound, whereas there was no exit number previously.  However, it has yet to be signed (if it will be) on I-95 North.  Also unknown is if the I-495 exit will receive an exit number.  Going south from PA, the I-495 split does have an exit number (Exit 11) on I-95, though that is the same exit number as Naamans Road (which shares the I-495 ramp southbound but has its own ramp northbound).

Alex4897

« Reply #848 on: December 20, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »

Delawareonline had a neat '50s picture of the Five Points intersection in Lewes in an
article
today about a rekindled push to fix the intersection.

👉😎👉

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #849 on: December 20, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »

The mileage sign formerly affixed to the 18th Street overpass was relocated northward in place of what was a sign listing the distances to Chester and Philadelphia.

Problem with this is that the sign was not updated to reflect the shorter distance, so the 3 miles listed for SR 3 is actually 1.1 mile. Thanks to Bob for the heads up.

Also unfortunately the state named shield for I-95 at 8th and Jackson Streets in Wilmington is no more. The assembly was removed completely, without a neutered replacement. That leaves just one state-named shield in all of Delaware.

Spotted today also a third monotube assembly for I-95 in Wilmington in addition to the two that Dan posted on the NERoads FB group. The new overhead is on SR 52 / Delaware Avenue north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.