AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695100 times)

Tonytone

• Last Login: February 26, 2024, 02:09:57 PM
    • ValuezTV
Re: Delaware
« Reply #775 on: May 11, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »

Did anyone else notice that Delaware owns a majority of the Delaware memorial bridge, The Water that Delaware claims extends all the way to jerseys side of the bridge right on the coast.
Does that mean that Delaware owns more of the bridge and rights or does DRBA Make it 50-50.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #776 on: May 11, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »

Did anyone else notice that Delaware owns a majority of the Delaware memorial bridge, The Water that Delaware claims extends all the way to jerseys side of the bridge right on the coast.
Does that mean that Delaware owns more of the bridge and rights or does DRBA Make it 50-50.

Delaware doesn't own any of the bridge.  Neither does NJ.  The majority of the bridge is within the State of Delaware.  And that is fairly well known, as all of the Delaware River is considered Delaware State.  Look closely on some maps, and you'll see there's a few small sections on the NJ side of the river that are actually part of Delaware as well. This is due to river sediments that have built up over the years and formed land on the Jersey side of the Delaware.

There are two small signs on the 295 South side of the bridge noting the Delaware State Line.  There are no such signs on the Jersey bound span.

The bridge is maintained by a bi-state authority, the DRBA.  There's no 50/50 split.  They fund themselves via the tolls.  The DRBA maintains much more than the bridge...they maintain the roadway from approximately US 130 (NJ) to 95/495 (DE).

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #777 on: May 11, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »

Delaware doesn't own any of the bridge.  Neither does NJ.  The majority of the bridge is within the State of Delaware.  And that is fairly well known, as all of the Delaware River is considered Delaware State.  Look closely on some maps, and you'll see there's a few small sections on the NJ side of the river that are actually part of Delaware as well. This is due to river sediments that have built up over the years and formed land on the Jersey side of the Delaware.

There are two small signs on the 295 South side of the bridge noting the Delaware State Line.  There are no such signs on the Jersey bound span.

The bridge is maintained by a bi-state authority, the DRBA.  There's no 50/50 split.  They fund themselves via the tolls.  The DRBA maintains much more than the bridge...they maintain the roadway from approximately US 130 (NJ) to 95/495 (DE).

Not to mention vehicular and passenger ferries, plus airports on both sides of the river and bay.

ixnay
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:44:32 PM by ixnay »
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #778 on: May 25, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »

Posted this in the Signs with 3 Control Cities thread and thought such was worth reposting here:

This pull-through BGS w/3 listings for I-495 South is now no-more.

The 70s-vintage gantry (possibly original) and the 10(?) year-old BGS' were completely replaced with a pipe-style gantry.  The new pull-through BGS now longer lists Del Mem Br.

All the new BGS' feature oversized Clearview fonts for the control cities (which overshadow the route shields & make for larger sign panels); but, unlike the Clearview BGS further south along I-95, the exit tabs are thankfully not the MD-style elongated ones (though the tab legends are in Clearview, a long-time FHWA no-no).

Either the designs for these new BGS panels were approved prior to the Feds yanking the interim approval for Clearview or DelDOT or the contractors simply didn't care.  I didn't see any other new sign installations on Naaman's Road (DE 92).   

Not sure if this was an accident-related replacement or part of an overall sign replacement project.  I say that because the previous signs (which were still there 2 weeks ago) were still in decent shape.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #779 on: May 25, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

Posted this in the Signs with 3 Control Cities thread and thought such was worth reposting here:

The 70s-vintage gantry (possibly original) and the 10(?) year-old BGS' were completely replaced with a pipe-style gantry.  The new pull-through BGS now longer lists Del Mem Br.

All the new BGS' feature oversized Clearview fonts for the control cities (which overshadow the route shields & make for larger sign panels); but, unlike the Clearview BGS further south along I-95, the exit tabs are thankfully not the MD-style elongated ones (though the tab legends are in Clearview, a long-time FHWA no-no).

Either the designs for these new BGS panels were approved prior to the Feds yanking the interim approval for Clearview or DelDOT or the contractors simply didn't care.  I didn't see any other new sign installations on Naaman's Road (DE 92).   

Not sure if this was an accident-related replacement or part of an overall sign replacement project.  I say that because the previous signs (which were still there 2 weeks ago) were still in decent shape.

Funny you commented on this, I had noticed it when I was driving a couple weeks ago, & was gonna post something about it. What made them choose bubble gantry? Is that the new thing now? & on other delaware related things, new High mast lights kn 495/95. De-1 Redlion exit is open again with the new guardrail & work is about to get started on SR-273 by applebee road & Airport road, this area has seen a lot of crashes & really does need to be updated, im glad the time is now.

iPhone

Alex4897

• Video Game Developer - Civil Engineering Graduate

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
« Reply #780 on: June 02, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »

It appears as though the new DE 141 SB bridge over I-95 NB is due to go into service next week:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2017/06/02/numerous-highway-closures-scheduled-next-week/364952001/
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

« Reply #781 on: June 02, 2017, 03:20:17 PM »

It appears as though the new DE 141 SB bridge over I-95 NB is due to go into service next week:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2017/06/02/numerous-highway-closures-scheduled-next-week/364952001/

I've never seen it indicated, and took me a little while to figure it out, but they're reconstructing these overpasses over 95 North differently than they are now.

Currently, you have 3 roadbeds:  I-95 North (to 495), I-295 North, and the C/D road for the Rt. 141 Ramps.  Between each of these roadways are the piers for the bridges.

They are rebuilding them with only one pier: Between I-95 North, and I-295 North.  They may keep the C/D road for 141 as is, or have the cloverleaves merge directly with the 295 roadway.

The most important item of this design, that has never been mentioned as far as I can tell:  It provides the room to widen I-295 to 3 lanes in the future if they decide to widen it!  The current bridge piers do not allow for such widening. 

roadman65

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #782 on: June 02, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »

That is the result of the 12 mile circle that is what now forms the arc in the PA-DE Border.  From all points along the DE/ PA State Line it is 12 miles to the New Castle Courthouse in New Castle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-Mile_Circle
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Tonytone

• ValuezTV
« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2017, 12:04:47 AM »

It makes sense now. Delaware has a very unique shape. & it looks like 141 is almost done, that area is a death trap, the death ramps (because of construction) & close lanes are a bad mix. I wonder how far along the 295 construction is.

iPhone

roadman65

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »

It has something to do with the Duke of York and William Penn.

In addition the point where the DE-NJ Border moves into the center of the Delaware River is also 12 miles to the south of New Castle's Courthouse.  Thus to end the reaches of the circle. 

NJ over the years tried to get the boundaries changed, even as recent as 2007, but again lost the fight.  Even one instance, I was reading that NJ wanted to use land on their side of the Delaware River that was legally in Delaware and the State of Delaware was ready to send in the National Guard to stop them.  I do not know how true that is, but that would be interesting to see an actual battle between two states if it did happen.

Edit:  Here is a link to that dispute over NJ wanting to build a gas plant on Delaware's side of the line. http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1127/p02s02-usju.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:11:53 AM by roadman65 »
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex4897

« Reply #785 on: June 10, 2017, 07:50:27 PM »

Newly installed signs on SR 2 EB approaching Delaware Park Dr, erected as a part of a project to lengthen the SR 2 EB turn lane to Milltown Road NB.  Someone should probably check on the guy who manufactured the middle sign and make sure he's alright.

EDIT: Fixed picture.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:15:27 PM by Alex4897 »
👉😎👉

ixnay

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:36:38 PM
« Reply #786 on: June 11, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »

Alex, instead of the image, I'm getting a tiny grayish do-not-enter sign.  Is anyone else having that problem?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

davewiecking

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:04:21 PM
« Reply #787 on: June 11, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »

All I see is the "broken image" image...

Alex4897

« Reply #788 on: June 11, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »

Whoops, must've been the source I was pulling it from, it had displayed correctly for me.
👉😎👉

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #789 on: June 11, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »

Newly installed signs on SR 2 EB approaching Delaware Park Dr, erected as a part of a project to lengthen the SR 2 EB turn lane to Milltown Road NB.  Someone should probably check on the guy who manufactured the middle sign and make sure he's alright.

The second sign uses the proper size down arrow for an overhead guide sign! What's wrong with that? :-D

jeffandnicole

« Reply #790 on: June 12, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »

EDIT: Fixed picture.

You can barely tell the two apart.

PurdueBill

• Last Login: December 20, 2023, 04:13:55 PM
« Reply #791 on: June 12, 2017, 09:40:52 PM »

Funny you commented on this, I had noticed it when I was driving a couple weeks ago, & was gonna post something about it. What made them choose bubble gantry? Is that the new thing now? & on other delaware related things, new High mast lights kn 495/95.

iPhone

Got a photo just a couple weeks ago of a tube gantry at Exit 2 on 495 NB.  Indeed there is OVERSIZED Clearview on the new sign.  Sigh.

The estimate of the age of the existing signage is pretty accurate judging from Street View inspection here and there on 495.  The Exit 2 sign I posted appeared sometime in late 2007 or early 2008 based on the street view; the ones at Naamans Road that are now gone are probably from the same project and street view inspection shows the same rough age.  Older signs at the same locations are classic DelDOT issue (rounded corners, sheet signs, exit tabs not totally fused to main sign, lighting included) while the signs that are just now being removed are extruded, no lighting, square corners--not classic DelDOT.  The new signs really stink compared to the previous ones.  The Clearview is WAY TOO LARGE.  9 or 10 years is too young to be getting rid of the existing signs....

briantroutman

• Last Login: March 17, 2021, 01:33:54 AM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #792 on: June 12, 2017, 10:16:07 PM »

^ OK–semi-related to the above: Could anybody shed some light on the history and logic behind the control cities listed at the I-95/I-495 split at the DE/PA state line?

I was driving that way a few days ago, and what I believe was the first diagrammatic guide sign caught my eye. (I used to drive this route often when I lived in the Philadelphia area before, so I’m not sure why it didn’t stand out before.) The I-495 half of the sign read something along the lines of:

(495)
[   ]y/Port of
  Wilmington
   Baltimore

Then on a subsequent sign, I could read it fully:

(495)
  City/Port of
  Wilmington
   Baltimore

According to GSV “City/Port of”  was added on an awkwardly loose greenout panel (obscuring part of the diagrammatic arrow) at some point before 2007. Then most of “City”  on the first diagrammatic sign was either cut off or again greened out at some point between November of 2015 and July 2016.

It’s my understanding that DelDOT has been making efforts to encourage through I-95 traffic to use I-495 instead, going so far as to mark I-95 as LOCAL TRAFFIC and I-495 as THRU TRAFFIC, and possibly (I can’t recall if this was an actual proposal or a roadgeek pipe dream) considering demoting the city route to BL status and marking I-95 on the bypass.

Despite all that, the existing I-95 route through the city would seem to be the logical route to most downtown destinations. So why would they want to direct Wilmington City-bound traffic over I-495? I assume these signs are maintained by PennDOT, but I assume any changes to the sign are a coordinated DE/PA effort.

Never mind...I found the answer in a different thread.

Again, to be clear; the City/Port of patch was placed over the original Port of patch during a reconstruction of I-95 that took place in the late 90s/early 2000s.  That patch was supposed to be removed when the project was completed.  The original distinction was just Wilmington for I-95 South and Port of Wilmington for I-495 South.

So a follow-up question: If Wilmington traffic was supposed to take I-495 during this project, was a different greenout patch placed over “Wilmington”  on the I-95 side? And if so, what did it say (if anything)?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:36:10 PM by briantroutman »

PurdueBill

• Last Login: December 20, 2023, 04:13:55 PM
« Reply #793 on: June 12, 2017, 11:06:15 PM »

So a follow-up question: If Wilmington traffic was supposed to take I-495 during this project, was a different greenout patch placed over “Wilmington”  on the I-95 side? And if so, what did it say (if anything)?

The southbound closure was full closure of 95 in that project in 2000, so the 95 part of the signs had orange CLOSED banners tacked on.  The "City of" addition was supposed to make it obvious that 495 also reaches Wilmington proper as well as the port, but with the greenout still in place it is confusing. 

jeffandnicole

« Reply #794 on: June 13, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »

That 95 reconstruction project was also why 495 South merged back into 95 South with two lanes, while 95 South effectively only had one thru lane (as the right lane became an Exit Only lane).  It was to further encourage motorists to use 495, and gave them easy access back onto 95 South.

When the 495 bridge over the Christina River tilted and required 495 to be closed, the configuration at that 495/95 merge finally went back to 495 having 1 lane and 95 having two lanes.

In a related note as to how Delaware seemingly forgets about construction signage, the modified signage DelDOT put up on 95 for that emergency construction project on 495 still remains.

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #795 on: June 15, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »

Funny you commented on this, I had noticed it when I was driving a couple weeks ago, & was gonna post something about it. What made them choose bubble gantry? Is that the new thing now? & on other delaware related things, new High mast lights kn 495/95.

iPhone

Got a photo just a couple weeks ago of a tube gantry at Exit 2 on 495 NB.  Indeed there is OVERSIZED Clearview on the new sign.  Sigh.

The estimate of the age of the existing signage is pretty accurate judging from Street View inspection here and there on 495.  The Exit 2 sign I posted appeared sometime in late 2007 or early 2008 based on the street view; the ones at Naamans Road that are now gone are probably from the same project and street view inspection shows the same rough age.  Older signs at the same locations are classic DelDOT issue (rounded corners, sheet signs, exit tabs not totally fused to main sign, lighting included) while the signs that are just now being removed are extruded, no lighting, square corners--not classic DelDOT.  The new signs really stink compared to the previous ones.  The Clearview is WAY TOO LARGE.  9 or 10 years is too young to be getting rid of the existing signs....
Nobody trash-talks Clearview!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jeffandnicole

« Reply #796 on: August 10, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »

They have recently changed the traffic pattern on I-295 after crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge.  Previously, the left most lane was closed out of 4 lanes.  Now, with the opening of half the new overpass over US 13/40, the left 2 lanes of 295 are open, the right two lanes are closed, with the right-most aux lane for Rt. 9 also working as a thru lane.  There's a short weave area approaching the 13/40 exit should you want to go that direction. 

The 2 new lanes open over 13/40 are a bit wider than the former 2 lanes in the construction zone, so that'll help traffic move thru there.  The area between 13/40 and 495 functions like the stretch between 9 and 13/40, with a short weave area to get to 495. 

As you approach the curve for 95 South, those lanes narrow as they are doing work on the right side.  The concrete is fairly chopped up in that area as well, so that'll slow traffic down for a while there.

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: January 30, 2022, 01:22:55 AM
« Reply #797 on: August 10, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

I'm guessing this is on the Delaware side of the bridge? I know US Route 13 doesn't enter New Jersey.

jwolfer

• Last Login: November 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM
« Reply #798 on: August 10, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »

I'm guessing this is on the Delaware side of the bridge? I know US Route 13 doesn't enter New Jersey.
This is the Delaware thread, great educated guess

LGMS428

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #799 on: August 13, 2017, 01:25:45 AM »

It doesn't, although Morrisville, Pennsylvania, where it reaches its northern terminus, is close.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.