News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahaspler/street-names-in-canada-are-weird-and-thats-ok

Here are other weird street names in Canada, and it also includes Mulder and Scully streets too on this list.

oscar

Quote from: bing101 on December 11, 2018, 09:35:16 PM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahaspler/street-names-in-canada-are-weird-and-thats-ok

Here are other weird street names in Canada, and it also includes Mulder and Scully streets too on this list.

Two of them are Ragged Ass Road in Yellowknife NT, and the Road to Nowhere in Iqaluit NU. There's a photo of the first on the first page of this thread. A trip report on the second is elsewhere on this forum.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Tom958

Creepy, not funny, if you've seen The Deer Hunter.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: pderocco on December 11, 2018, 07:24:16 PM
They misspelled Frappuccino.

Pure conjecture on my part, but that may have been on purpose, considering that "Frappuccino" is trademarked.

Most likely, though something tells me Starbucks could still ping them for infringement.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2018, 01:22:43 AM
Pure conjecture on my part, but that may have been on purpose, considering that "Frappuccino" is trademarked.
Most likely, though something tells me Starbucks could still ping them for infringement.

How so? The city/local government isn't profiting from naming the street with that name.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've actually been to Avenida de Super Mario Bros :sombrero:. This and other streets named after videogames are in a new housing development to the Southwest of Zaragoza, Spain (and only a handful of those streets are open to traffic, with the only purpose of providing access to the lone building located in that area so far).

In another part of the world there is Longyang Lu (龙阳路) in Shanghai, China. 龙阳 Lóngyáng means "gay" (as in "homosexual") in a positive manner.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 12, 2018, 05:28:15 PM
Avenida de Super Mario Bros ... to the Southwest of Zaragoza, Spain

So how do Spaniards pronounce the "Bros" part?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 12, 2018, 06:06:49 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2018, 01:22:43 AM
How so? The city/local government isn't profiting from naming the street with that name.

I doubt Starbucks would actually care. In fact, other homeowners from nearby streets would have the strongest argument against the name, if housing values along said street were higher because of the street name. I know that's a stretch, but it's something.

mrsman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 12, 2018, 05:28:15 PM
I've actually been to Avenida de Super Mario Bros :sombrero:. This and other streets named after videogames are in a new housing development to the Southwest of Zaragoza, Spain (and only a handful of those streets are open to traffic, with the only purpose of providing access to the lone building located in that area so far).

In another part of the world there is Longyang Lu (龙阳路) in Shanghai, China. 龙阳 Lóngyáng means "gay" (as in "homosexual") in a positive manner.

What's even odder is that those streets in Zaragoza are connected to streets named after famous composers like Chopin, Vivialdi, and Beethoven.  A mix of high culture and low culture.

CNGL-Leudimin

Yup. That is Rosales del Canal, a neighborhood really off the beaten path (and served by bus route 41, which explains why my avatar here is I-41). Notice that Mozart is missing from that area due to him already having a circle across the city.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2018, 10:24:07 PM
Brown Material Road which happens to intersect CA 46.

And CA 33...made a point of getting pics:

IMG_5330 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5331 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5332 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

Perhaps "Brown Mattress Road"?

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2018, 08:19:15 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 31, 2018, 08:04:59 PM
Someone have a little accident?

Luckily the first pic makes it clear that we're talking about "Brown Material."  

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2018, 08:29:45 PM

If I had bothered to actually scroll right (mobile browsing), I might have noticed that.  :D

Roadgeekteen

What brown material? Paint? Dirt? Poop?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 01, 2019, 11:48:30 AM

What brown material? Paint? Dirt? Poop?

Apparently there is a "Brown Material Company"  on that road.  I'm not certain if is agricultural or oil related, both are bi on the CA 33 corridor. 

oscar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2019, 12:04:24 PM
Apparently there is a "Brown Material Company"  on that road.  I'm not certain if is agricultural or oil related, both are bi on the CA 33 corridor. 

According to a 1937 court decision, there was a local seller of oil drilling muds called "Brown Materials Company". The decision does not say whether "Brown" was the last name of the company's founder, or rather the color of the products it sold.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on January 01, 2019, 12:12:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2019, 12:04:24 PM

According to a 1937 court decision, there was a local seller of oil drilling muds called "Brown Materials Company". The decision does not say whether "Brown" is the last name of the company's founder, or rather the color of the products it sells.

Well that would explain why that road has been there so long then.  It's on every USGS map of the area I've looked at.

Ben114

There is a Gill Ct. and Cove Pl. in Northbridge, MA

hotdogPi

Quote from: Ben114 on January 01, 2019, 12:33:05 PM
There is a Gill Ct. and Cove Pl. in Northbridge, MA

I don't see what's funny about those names. Even with Gill Ct. being nowhere near the town of Gill, MA, I don't see anything interesting.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jakeroot

Gills of a fish, and the fish swim in coves? I hope I'm wrong.

SSR_317

Quote from: bing101 on December 11, 2018, 09:35:16 PM

Someone should build a Piggly Wiggly store on Twiggly Wiggly Rd!

yakra

No. 10 Downing St makes perfect sense in London.
No. 10 Downing St makes me LOL in Waco, Texas.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bing101

Quote from: yakra on March 05, 2019, 03:35:56 AM
No. 10 Downing St makes perfect sense in London.
No. 10 Downing St makes me LOL in Waco, Texas.

Yup I saw that
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/991-Downing-St-10-China-Spring-TX-76633/52051179_zpid/

There's a 10 Downing street in China Spring, TX.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.