WYDOT study progresses toward raising some non-interstates to 70mph

Started by Kniwt, November 09, 2015, 10:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The Wyoming Tribune-Eagle reports today:
http://wyomingnews.com/articles/2015/11/09/news/19local_11-09-15.txt
QuoteMore than 2,000 miles of Wyoming's non-interstate highway system could one day see a higher speed limit.

The Wyoming Department of Transportation recently finished the first phase of its study to determine which roadways could be eligible for a new state law allowing speed limits on non-interstate highways to be raised from 65 to 70 mph.

The report, which was commissioned by the department, found that 2,358 miles of the 6,400-mile system warrant additional study.

... But don't expect to see any of the 65 mph limits changed anytime soon.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Kniwt on November 09, 2015, 10:44:29 PM
The Wyoming Tribune-Eagle reports today:
http://wyomingnews.com/articles/2015/11/09/news/19local_11-09-15.txt
QuoteMore than 2,000 miles of Wyoming's non-interstate highway system could one day see a higher speed limit.

The Wyoming Department of Transportation recently finished the first phase of its study to determine which roadways could be eligible for a new state law allowing speed limits on non-interstate highways to be raised from 65 to 70 mph.

The report, which was commissioned by the department, found that 2,358 miles of the 6,400-mile system warrant additional study.

... But don't expect to see any of the 65 mph limits changed anytime soon.

This would be totally awesome... but everyone speeds anyway.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Gulol

Great news if this ultimately happens.  In general, Wyoming takes great care of their roads - at least the ones I drive frequently for work - so they could support a higher speed limit and most people are driving faster than the posted limit anyway.

sipes23

It wouldn't hurt anything, but I do wonder how the quality of the roads will be after a few years of hard budgets that are coming our way.

ski-man

Along with line of site, I can see wildlife crossing will be a concern. Sometimes even now it is like the Killing Fields on some roads.  :no:

corco

I think Wyomingites have enough common sense, in general, to be responsible for their own driving speeds so welcome the change. I'm assuming the major roads to Yellowstone (except hopefully US 191) wouldn't be affected. Off the top of my head, I'd assume 14/16 west of I-90 don't get changed, 287 from I-80 down to Colorado don't get changed, 89 through the Star Valley remains the same. I'm not sure if 20/26 from Shoshoni to Casper should get the treatment - it's wide open enough, but there's also a fair number of drunk idiots on that road at any given point.

You'll probably handle it like Montana - yes the speed limit is 70 which means you go 80 in the summer when the roads are clear. During migration season at night, you'll be going 55-60 on the two-lanes because that's the common sense thing to do. That's generally the behavior I've observed in Wyoming anyway.

On roads like WYO 487 with no traffic and A+ sightlines though...you'll still see me going 90, but I guess it'll be a slightly lower speeding ticket.

andy3175

Changes in speed limits on Wyoming's two lane highways have begun:

http://wyomingbusinessreport.com/speed-limit-to-increase-on-some-wyo-highways/

Three locations are identified for January 2016 upgrade from 65 to 70 mph speed limits:

- "Much of" US 85 from just east of I-25 north of Cheyenne to Newcastle (probably excluding Torrington and other populated areas along the route)
- WYO 130 from I-80 south to Saratoga
- WYO 120 from about 18 miles north of Cody to the Montana border

QuoteHighway segments adjacent to communities will retain their current, lower speed limit the WYDOT release said.
The higher speed limits for rural two-lane highways were approved by the state legislature last year. They were among 1,546 miles of highway a study showed had the best potential for safely handling the higher speed.
"Before any speed limit can be changed, state law requires that a comprehensive engineering study and traffic investigation must be completed,"  WYDOT Chief Engineer Gregg Fredrick said. "That study for these three highways found it safe and reasonable to increase the limit to 70 mph on these sections."

Among the factors the study evaluated were the terrain the highways pass through, their crash histories, current travel speeds, traffic volumes and the percentage of heavy trucks, alignment and sight distances, the number and locations of at-grade intersections and the amount of agricultural and recreational use the routes experience.

Current travel speeds on the three highways were found to be in the 70 mph range. The new speed limit is not expected to result in significantly higher travel speeds, Fredrick said, and Highway Patrol enforcement efforts will seek to prevent any such increases.

The next areas under study for potential conversion from 65 to 70 mph are:

- US 20-26 between Casper and Shoshoni
- US 287 between Lander and Rawlins
- WYO 220 between Casper and Muddy Gap
- US 191 from Rock Springs to Pinedale
- US 14-16-20 east of Cody
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sipes23

Quote from: andy3175 on January 19, 2016, 01:46:58 AM
The next areas under study for potential conversion from 65 to 70 mph are:

- US 20-26 between Casper and Shoshoni
- US 287 between Lander and Rawlins
- WYO 220 between Casper and Muddy Gap
- US 191 from Rock Springs to Pinedale
- US 14-16-20 east of Cody

I'd welcome these.

brycecordry

I would like to someday see a nationwide state-to-state charter on default speed limits of 75 for interstates/freeways, 70 for expressways, and 65 for two-lanes.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: brycecordry on January 30, 2016, 02:20:11 PM
I would like to someday see a nationwide state-to-state charter on default speed limits of 75 for interstates/freeways, 70 for expressways, and 65 for two-lanes.

So you vote to reduce the speed limit in 5 states or so?

The NMSL didn't work out for certain reasons.  No reason to bring it back in any form whatsoever.

brycecordry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 30, 2016, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: brycecordry on January 30, 2016, 02:20:11 PM

So you vote to reduce the speed limit in 5 states or so?

The NMSL didn't work out for certain reasons.  No reason to bring it back in any form whatsoever.

Oh, Sorry. I meant that as just the standard. There would be a provision on the compact to allow to raise the limits up to 10 mph above the standard (which matches what Texas has); this may be needed at some point to prevent 90-100 mph speed limits. But back to Wyoming now...
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

andy3175

More routes are scheduled for conversion from 65 to 70 miles per hour speed limits:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/drivers-on-rural-wyoming-state-highways-can-soon-travel-at/article_f9fb2365-4ada-5a26-87bb-f69c220a5e86.html

Done and now signed for 70 mph (as noted above):
- U.S. 85 between Cheyenne and Newcastle
- WYO 130 from Walcott Junction to Saratoga
- WYO 120 from 18 miles north of Cody to the Montana border

Pending conversion to 70 mph by end of April:
- U.S. 20-26 from western Casper to Shoshone
- WYO 220 from west of Alcova to Rawlins
- WYO 487 from the junction with WYO 220 to Medicine Bow

Other corridors remain under study at this time, but there WyoDOT plans another batch of conversions in May. Stay tuned.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SD Mapman

Quote from: andy3175 on March 23, 2016, 12:22:36 AM
- WYO 220 from west of Alcova to Rawlins
Do you mean WY 220 to Muddy Gap and then US 287/WY 789 to Rawlins?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

ski-man

andy3175

Quote from: ski-man on March 23, 2016, 10:37:12 PM
Quote from: andy3175 on March 23, 2016, 12:22:36 AM
- U.S. 20-26 from western Casper to Shoshone

Shoshoni

Correct. This is what happens when I copy and paste. The article also misidentified WYO 130 as US 130.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Now there is discussion of reduced speed limits on Wyoming highways during nighttime hours:

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/transportation-officials-to-test-lower-speed-limits-at-night/article_8be646c3-9a04-5972-ac29-4cb9bbfa4f05.html

QuoteWyoming transportation officials are going to test lower nighttime speed limits on some highways in the western part of the state in the wake of similar changes in Teton County.

Over the course of the next year, the Wyoming Department of Transportation will limit speeds to 55 mph after dark on a total of 84 miles of roadway.

Portions of Highway 390 between Wilson and Teton Village experimentally went from 45 mph to 35 mph at night several years ago, but otherwise officials say this is a new effort.

Officials say the first signs marking the change will go up on a 15-mile stretch of Highway 191 south of Pinedale by the end of October.

Highway 30, Highway 191/189 and Highway 89 will also change.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.