News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chicago Tribune article on I-355 "Suburbs" sign

Started by golden eagle, September 13, 2009, 08:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

This article was prompted by a reader who wonder why the control city for I-355 from I-55 near Lemont Road is "Suburbs":

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/autocorner/chi-getting-around-14-sep14,0,3208128.column

Hellfighter

I just looked at it on street view. What the hell? Isn't that violating the rules?

thenetwork

I like how I-DOT says that they can't use smaller cities, like Bloomington, Joliet, etc... as official control CITIES because they are too small.  Yet in other states, there are towns a fraction of the size of the aforementioned cities that are control cities...   :hmmm:

Alex

QuoteOK, better than just "Suburbs." But the general rule of signs on interstates is to list destination cities. Wouldn't listing  New Lenox for I-355 South and perhaps  Itasca or  Addison for  I-355 North be more instructional?

Why sure. But there is another rule. The destination cities (officially called "control cities") must be major cities, according to standards set by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials and the Federal Highway Administration's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.

This rule has been violated in many places. It seems that its cited only when its convenient, such as in this case for Interstate 355.

corco

It's not really a practical rule either in most applications- especially out west and in major urban areas. I'm thinking on I-80 if Bloomington and Joliet don't qualify as big cities, than the I-80 control city for I-80 East in Salt Lake City should logically be what...Omaha? Or Denver, but that doesn't give an accurate representation of what I-80 does.

In Chicago, 95% of people don't care that the Stevenson heads to St. Louis, they're more likely to be helped by navigation by knowing it's going to Joliet, or by knowing that the East-West is heading to Naperville, not the Quad Cities. And it's certainly practical to list two cities, one local and one distant, so for I-355 it should say "Joliet-St. Louis." That way everyone wins.

Do as Seattle does and select a few reference cities and consistently use them- it's not a matter of citing every single suburb as the IDOT spokeswoman says. Seattle uses Olympia, Tacoma, Bellevue, Renton, and Everett as local control cities (while using Portland, Vancouver BC, and Spokane as distant ones) and that works perfectly.

I don't know the northern suburbs that well off the top of my head, but I know Aurora, Joliet, and Elgin are all sufficiently large to be control cities. And I don't think the people of say...Batavia are going to be offended that Aurora and Elgin are listed as control cities
That's one rule that should be immediately discarded

Chris

Chicago has some significant suburbs, I agree you can't use places like Skokie or Elmhurst, but Naperville, Aurora, Joliet or Elgin are big enough to be a control city.

The problem is none of these cities are directly on I-355.

corco

Joliet is very, very close to I-355 and from the East-West Tollway north you could use any of Elgin, Schaumburg, or Rockford

Chris

Yeah, I think they need to sign indirect destinations (which are reached by another expressway). Like Naperville/Aurora via I-88, Chicago via I-55 and I-88, Elgin and Rockford via I-90.

That said, doesn't make it sense to extend I-355 northeast towards I-94?

agentsteel53

Quote from: thenetwork on September 14, 2009, 09:00:41 AM
I like how I-DOT says that they can't use smaller cities, like Bloomington, Joliet, etc... as official control CITIES because they are too small.  Yet in other states, there are towns a fraction of the size of the aforementioned cities that are control cities...   :hmmm:

ah, good old Delaware Water Gap ;)

control cities on three-digit interstates tend to be pretty hit-or-miss.  I-605 in Los Angeles doesn't have one at all: it just goes north.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Think about this ISTHA - if I-80 in the Quad Cities has Chicago as a control City - you can have Elgin or Des Plaines as a control city for I-355  :poke:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 14, 2009, 02:26:51 PM

ah, good old Delaware Water Gap ;)

control cities on three-digit interstates tend to be pretty hit-or-miss.  I-605 in Los Angeles doesn't have one at all: it just goes north.

The residents of Thru Traffic will surely object to that statement!

Revive 755

So why couldn't IDOT use Indiana (as used on I-355 at I-80) and Wisconsin for controls?

Though I'd rather see the Chicago drop the use of control states and have I-355 use Toledo and Rockford, with the later changing to Milwaukee if the IL 53 tollway connection to I-94 ever gets built.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 15, 2009, 12:35:12 AM
So why couldn't IDOT use Indiana (as used on I-355 at I-80) and Wisconsin for controls?

Though I'd rather see the Chicago drop the use of control states and have I-355 use Toledo and Rockford, with the later changing to Milwaukee if the IL 53 tollway connection to I-94 ever gets built.
You mean Joliet instead of Toledo?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Revive 755

Quote from: Master sonYou mean Joliet instead of Toledo?

No, Toledo.  I'm near 100% sure Toledo was a control city for EB I-80 at I-55 in the old days.  Though if there was more left there, I could see using Gary over Toledo.

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 15, 2009, 08:22:14 PM
No, Toledo.  I'm near 100% sure Toledo was a control city for EB I-80 at I-55 in the old days.  Though if there was more left there, I could see using Gary over Toledo.
Actually, while the primary control city for I-80 east of I-55 is Toledo, the secondary one used at all I-80 junctions up to I-57, is Gary, Indiana.
Also, if you are traveling west on I-88 from I-290/294, the control city IS Aurora then DeKalb once you reach Eola Road. Not Quad Cities.

fixed yer quote. -Ed.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 17, 2011, 11:52:35 AM
Actually, while the primary control city for I-80 east of I-55 is Toledo, the secondary one used at all I-80 junctions up to I-57, is Gary, Indiana.
Also, if you are traveling west on I-88 from I-290/294, the control city IS Aurora then DeKalb once you reach Eola Road. Not Quad Cities.

fixed yer quote. -Ed.

However, newer signs just say "Indiana" for I-80 east.  No mention of Gary or Toledo.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: corco on September 14, 2009, 11:10:48 AM
And it's certainly practical to list two cities, one local and one distant, so for I-355 it should say "Joliet-St. Louis."

North of I-88, the southbound controls on I-355 are "Joliet - St Louis" on the tollway itself.  South of I-88 to Boughton Rd, and for all entry points, it's just "Joliet".  Oddly, it's "Southwest Suburbs" at the entries from Boughton to 159th St (which are all clearly in the southwest suburbs), then "To {80}" for Southwest Hwy (US-6).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

tdindy88

Driving down the Stevenson last December around the place mentioned at the beginning of this post I thought that I saw that the sign just said I-355, without the "Suburbs," is this the way its been or is that new. I know that it does list N.W. and S.W. Suburbs when you get right to the exit, but is there a reason the signs further up the road are just blank?

rmsandw

When the southern extention was open the signs without a control city on SB I-55, mostly, one I think on NB I-55 were marked "Suburbs".  About a  month after the extention opened the Chicago Tribune had an article about the general control cities.  The ISTHA then removed them.

After it opened I went and took photos of the new signs at the I-55/355 interchange.

http://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/interstate/55.html
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

wh15395

Same with Indiana.

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on February 17, 2011, 02:02:57 PM

fixed yer quote. -Ed.

However, newer signs just say "Indiana" for I-80 east.  No mention of Gary or Toledo.

The mention of "Gary, Indiana" is still on the entrance ramps to I-80 especially around the Joliet exits.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 25, 2011, 07:46:04 AM

fixed yer quote. -Ed.

The mention of "Gary, Indiana" is still on the entrance ramps to I-80 especially around the Joliet exits.

It's been removed at Larkin and Houbolt, and still exists only at Maple (US-30), Briggs, Richards, and Chicago.  IIRC, Center's been replaced with just "Indiana".  I suspect as these interchanges are rebuilt, these will also be replaced.

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on February 25, 2011, 09:15:27 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on February 25, 2011, 07:46:04 AM

fixed yer quote. -Ed.

It's been removed at Larkin and Houbolt, and still exists only at Maple (US-30), Briggs, Richards, and Chicago.  IIRC, Center's been replaced with just "Indiana".  I suspect as these interchanges are rebuilt, these will also be replaced.
That sucks. I am getting tired of these "general" control cities.  Indiana is a huge area to be used as a control city unless it is on the Tri-State.  And besides US 52, eventually, does go into Indiana but nowhere near Gary.  They (IDOT) should have kept Des Moines and Toledo as control cities at the 55/80 jct.

thenetwork

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 26, 2011, 04:17:52 AM
That sucks. I am getting tired of these "general" control cities.  Indiana is a huge area to be used as a control city unless it is on the Tri-State.  And besides US 52, eventually, does go into Indiana but nowhere near Gary.  They (IDOT) should have kept Des Moines and Toledo as control cities at the 55/80 jct.

True, but Toledo (or the Indiana Toll Road, for that matter) is the destination for only a fraction of the traffic.  Once in Indiana, you've got 3 Interstate choices: I-65, I-80/90 & I-94.  I don't know what the percentage is, but I gotta believe that for Eastbound I-80 traffic around the Joliet area, the percentage of traffic traveling through to the Toll Road, even to at least South Bend, is pretty low. Hence the generic Indiana moniker.  Same thing with using Wisconsin on the Tri-State -- there's a big split before the state line in which people either want to stay in Eastern Wisconsin (via I-94) or Central/Western Wisconsin (I-90).  So to avoid all the confusion, Wisconsin makes for a good destination. 

Now using Iowa on the other hand for Westbound I-80 is a different story.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.