News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I couldn't get any pictures (my mom and stepdad wouldn't stop! :pan:), but on Thanksgiving Day, I saw two US 222 shields on NY 222.  One was westbound, just west of Salt Road, and the other was eastbound, just east of LaFayette Road.  Both Street View links show the correct shields.  I'm guessing they were recently replaced because NY 222 had new pavement.

SidS1045

Quote from: Takumi on December 05, 2011, 10:08:52 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on December 05, 2011, 01:54:32 PM
You are correct, sir.  Give that man a lady in the balcony.  (and if you remember that reference:  You are OLD!)  "Öster-" and "östlich-" mean the same thing.

M*A*S*H, right?

Indeed..."Welcome to Korea," part 2.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 29, 2011, 03:35:03 PMhonestly, east and west can get confusing if you're familiar with too many languages.  West is "oeste" in Spanish.  In German, east is "öst", which can get transliterated into "oest".

big trouble brewing... I know I got confused several times when crossing between Latin and Germanic countries.

Cardinal directions can get confusing in Spanish itself.  "North" by itself is norte, but when it is used as part of a compound expression, the second syllable is dropped:  hence noreste ("northeast") and noroeste ("northwest").  Plus, unlike the case with Germanic languages, Romance languages tend to have adjectival forms of the cardinal directions which are not cognate with the commonly used noun forms.  Poniente or occidente for "western," settentrionale for "northern" and meridionale for "southern," oriente for "eastern," etc.

Direction signs in Spain invariably use the "friendly" cognates since there is some awareness of the need to serve long-distance and international traffic.  For example, you can expect to see norte as the obvious cognate to north (English) and nord (French, Italian, and German).  But in principle septentrión could also be used.  Note that the etymology for norte in Spanish Wikipedia references Old English:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septentrional
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

formulanone

At the off-ramp from I-77 North, at Exit 8 for Fancy Gap, Virginia.

(Street View, some views actually obscure the left error shield?)

Takumi

Good to know those are still there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the shields were pointing down somewhat. Not sure if removal was about to occur.

On the other hand, I wasn't using a GPS device, so I was really confused for a moment.

vtk

Spotted a few US 161 shields today on OH 3. One is on NB OH 3, independent mount, part of an assembly for the upcoming turn to access OH 161 WB.  The other two are on nearly identical, back-to-back miniature BGSes (which look new) at the turn to access OH 161 EB.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

I see so many erroneous signs erected by local jurisdictions!  I want to make a bunch of labels that say 'WRONG SIGN' with a blank where I can write in the reference to the correct sign.

I drive by this one all the time.  It's on the exit ramp from I-135 northbound to 1st and 2nd streets.  They are a pair of one-way streets.  You most certainly do not proceed straight through the first stoplight (as the sign suggests) to reach 1st Street.  In fact, that stoplight IS 1st Street.  And there is no street sign for 1st Street at the actual intersection.  Anyone from out of town would reasonably blow by their turn without knowing it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mr_Northside

The fairly recently completed widening of PA-65 in Avalon features this sign, that is blue for some reason....

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Scott5114

Obviously they're doing you a service telling you how to get to Pittsburgh!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

Was it supposed to be white on green?

Ian

An NY 9W shield at the north end of the US 9W/NY 32 duplex in Albany.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 26, 2011, 07:22:15 PM
Obviously they're doing you a service telling you how to get to Pittsburgh!

Or how to AVOID Pittsburgh, depending on one's point of view.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

roadman65

Here is one on  US 431 Southbound in Dothan, AL.  This sign says that it is "TO US 431 SOUTH" along with US 231 SB, but it is for real the actual US 431.  The AL 210 may seem erroneous, but its the designation given to the Ross Clark Circle that is a complete 13 mile loop of Dothan that was not given any direction.  Usually, like interstate beltways, it is either inner or outer, or the direction at the place like I-465 near Indy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5043752012/in/photostream/lightbox/
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

NH153 rides the ME state line for a bit, maintained by MDOT.
Not to be confused with the real ME153 elsewhere, here's a ME153 marker on the NH side of the road:
http://yakra.dyn-o-saur.com/roads/me_ends/nh153-north/IMG_0282.JPG
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Ian

Quote from: yakra on January 13, 2012, 01:50:54 PM
NH153 rides the ME state line for a bit, maintained by MDOT.
Not to be confused with the real ME153 elsewhere, here's a ME153 marker on the NH side of the road:
http://yakra.dyn-o-saur.com/roads/me_ends/nh153-north/IMG_0282.JPG

But hey, at least it's a nice old LeHay font wooden sign!
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Found a new one, if anyone can get to it quickly enough.  I curse myself for not having a camera today to capture it.  At 175th St and Harlem Ave (IL-43), there is a 43 in a circle shield (square black blank) for northbound traffic.  It lacks any cardinal direction and is smaller than normal for a shield, but it is an error nonetheless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

WillWeaverRVA

I haven't gone to Iowa, so this should be a VA 208 shield...

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

I've seen more of those blue signs with the wrong shield (4+) than the right one (2).

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

That seems to be a problem with the Fredericksburg and Culpeper Districts of VDOT, which seem to use those blue signs more than the other districts. Most of them contain incorrect shields.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

There's one for US 60 on Bypass Road westbound in Williamsburg with a full US 60 shield (i.e. with the black backing) and a correct SR 629 on US 460 westbound in New Bohemia. In addition to the erroneous ones I've posted on here before, Mapmikey says there are circles in ones for VA 62 and VA 119 on US 58-360 eastbound.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

There used to be a BGS for VA-123 on the eastbound Dulles Toll Road after the main toll plaza that used a circle as the shield. I reported it to VDOT but they ignored it....perhaps justifiably, as the sign was removed during the current construction project associated with the Beltway "Express Lanes."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

One I discovered on Saturday: on US 322 westbound in Blue Ball, PA, there is a US 23 shield for PA 23. Couldn't get a photo since I was going the other direction.
Youtube l Flickr

rickmastfan67

Here's some major "FAIL's" by FDOT:

FDOT tells you to get to US-17/FL-228 by getting off @ Exit 352A on I-95.  The problem is.... you're ALREADY on US-17/FL-228 and it doesn't even get off at that exit.  What it's pointing you to is the old route in-town till they re-routed it onto I-10/I-95.  And here's the BGS on the ramp pointing you to the old route.  The problem is that no signage what-so-ever remains for the old route, so you up to guessing where US-17/FL-228 are!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.