News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 02, 2012, 11:05:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on November 02, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
Oh, and if you have one, I would like to see one of the blank shields with the arrow inside it.

Steve's VA 254 page has one...

...and another from the same town on the US 250 page...

:ded: they should go in "worst of" immediately, the whole assembly is terrible
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

Takumi

^ They're based on (and replaced) cutouts.

This VA 156 South reassurance shield is on VA 156 northbound.

And vice versa with this trailblazer.

All the other signage I saw here was correct. Last year there were a bunch of VA 636 and 643 shields and VA 156 was posted east-west.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

This is something I won't be proud of whenever I finally do clinch VA 156 north of VA 5.  It kinda hurts seeing this on the most important road I traveled on as a child.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8154064401/in/photostream/

This exit also connects with NY 281 (In where the ramp ends at) and US 11.  Both routes should be also featured on this sign.  Taken on I-81 Northbound.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RJ145

Takumi

Go home sign, you're drunk. (And perhaps probably Photoshopped.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

No photo but observation:

While this one may not necessarily fall under Erroneous; it clearly falls under the "Can't They Make Up Their Mind" Department.  The BGS' along I-476 South approaching Exit 18 (Ridge Pike).  The old 90s-vintage BGS' only had Norristown for the exit listing (the ramp places one along westbound Ridge Pike).  Recent replacement BGS included Conshohocken as well; the rationale likely being that one can use the Allen Wood Road jughandle to do a U-turn onto eastbound Ridge Pike.

Heading back from Harleysville last Saturday night along I-476 South; I noticed that all the new Exit 18 BGS' that had Conshohocken in its messages greened out.

Note to PennDOT: Kindly make up your minds before the signs get fabricated.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Central Avenue

I haven't yet gotten pictures, but...

A short detour for US 62 in New Albany, Ohio is signed with several Ohio 62 shields. Strangely stretched-looking Ohio 62 shields, to boot.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

formulanone

^ I ran into that last year, and also was reminded that Ohio (smartly) uses the state route number for the US Route number, so it's not-quite-really an error? Well, it sure looked like a Florida-style goof to me, although at speed, an Ohio shield and a US Route shield might look much the same (although not as much as Wisconsin's).

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 02, 2012, 11:05:11 PM
Steve's VA 254 page has one...
...and another from the same town on the US 250 page...

That Interstate shield looks "angry" (turn left, you *%$#@!)

Central Avenue

Quote from: formulanone on November 06, 2012, 08:33:22 AMI ran into that last year, and also was reminded that Ohio (smartly) uses the state route number for the US Route number, so it's not-quite-really an error?

Yeah, it's one of those things that's arguably factually correct, but I figure it counts as an "error" anyway since it's obviously not how it's intended to be signed. *shrug*

US 62 in particular seems to get that treatment a lot in this part of the state...I wonder why that is...

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

Actually I think the US->OH error is frequently associated with those combined directional signs like pictured above.  Another error I frequently see with those is the shields are the wide type (or square type stretched to 5:4 ratio) even when it's a 2-digit route number.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on November 07, 2012, 10:29:31 AMAnother error I frequently see with those is the shields are the wide type (or square type stretched to 5:4 ratio) even when it's a 2-digit route number.

I think I've seen that done incorrectly more times than I've seen it done correctly. At one point I assumed it must be deliberate, though the drawings in ODOT's Sign Designs and Markings Manual show a proper 2-digit shield.

Central Avenue

Quote from: Central Avenue on November 06, 2012, 03:02:17 AM

A short detour for US 62 in New Albany, Ohio is signed with several Ohio 62 shields. Strangely stretched-looking Ohio 62 shields, to boot.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on November 07, 2012, 10:29:31 AM
Another error I frequently see with those is the shields are the wide type (or square type stretched to 5:4 ratio) even when it's a 2-digit route number.
ODOT district 5 (Mt. Vernon, Newark, Lancaster, Zanesville) seems to love horizontal directional signs with the extra wide shield (both state and federal) for 2 digit signs.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kinupanda

Quote from: RJ145 on November 04, 2012, 02:19:48 PM

I'm wondering what the law says about that one. Clearly the intent of the sign is obvious, but if a motorist were to go straight from the right lane, could their ticket be dismissed on the technicality of erroneous signage?

NE2

The law says it's shopped.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Central Avenue

Quote from: NE2 on November 10, 2012, 12:55:26 AM

Yes, yes, we established that already.

But hypothetically, if it were a real sign, would it be enforceable?

Alps

Quote from: Central Avenue on November 10, 2012, 02:28:14 AM
Quote from: NE2 on November 10, 2012, 12:55:26 AM

Yes, yes, we established that already.

But hypothetically, if it were a real sign, would it be enforceable?
If there were no other signs or stripes indicating the intent, it's clearly unenforceable as written. But usually there's a second sign and arrows in the lane, such that you'd have a hard time if anyone ticketed you.

ctsignguy

Quote from: Central Avenue on November 09, 2012, 11:22:58 AM

Ewwww!  *whacks them all with ugly sticks!!!!*

But not the worst Ohio shields i ever saw....Jake cringes when he sees monstrosities like this one (possibly designed by a bitter Michigan engineering grad

It appears Toledo and the northern strip were given back to Michigan in that design!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

vtk

Quote from: Central Avenue on November 09, 2012, 11:22:58 AM

Those look really goofy! Besides the square-format shape stretched to 5:4 or possibly 4:3 dimensions, they apparently made the number "as big as possible".  That looks as weird to me as a '70 spec neutered Interstate shield would look to someone accustomed to '57-spec state-named shields.

Quote from: ctsignguy on November 10, 2012, 11:56:03 AM
Ewwww!  *whacks them all with ugly sticks!!!!*

But not the worst Ohio shields i ever saw....Jake cringes when he sees monstrosities like this one (possibly designed by a bitter Michigan engineering grad

It appears Toledo and the northern strip were given back to Michigan in that design!

There are a bunch with that shape in Nelsonville, and I've seen a few in temporary installations for detours elsewhere.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

national highway 1

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 10, 2012, 09:30:20 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on November 10, 2012, 05:14:39 PM

Hey, you stole my picture that I stole from the I-684 thread! :P
Well it was erroneous, so it was pretty appropriate to repost here ;-)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

NE2

holy crap guys look what I found in another post

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.