News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 15, 2012, 02:38:59 AM
At first, I thought the mixed message was that anything with a Headquarters could not be Pleasant.

it's a big building where generals meet - but that's not important!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 15, 2012, 10:02:33 AM
The fact that hardly any of the general public notices that the side the tab's on is the side the exit's on makes me wonder why states still do it, and why we make a big deal out of it when a tab's on the wrong side. Especially now that "LEFT EXIT" tabs are mandated for left exits.

Indeed, and I just mentioned this yesterday in the Northern Virginia HO/T lanes thread (link is to the entire thread, not a specific post). The picture below appeared yesterday on the Dr. Gridlock blog at the Washington Post website and it's a picture of the Inner Loop of I-495 (the Capital Beltway) showing the new "Express Lanes" (high-occupancy/toll) that open this Saturday on the left side and the existing general-purpose lanes to the right. What I found interesting about the picture is that the Express Lane exit for VA-267 (the Dulles Toll Road) and the Dulles Access Road doesn't have an exit tab, but the one for Jones Branch Drive does. As I thought about it, I thought it made perfect sense in this particular context: The MUTCD-mandated "E-ZPASS EXPRESS EXIT" banner serves as the functional equivalent of an exit tab for a right-side exit, and for the left-side exits they simply add the auxiliary "LEFT EXIT" tab to remind people it's on the left. (I should point out that the Express Lane exits do not have exit numbers. The general-purpose exits do.)

I assume the graininess indicates that the reporter used his mobile phone to take the picture.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 15, 2012, 10:23:57 AM
I assume the graininess indicates that the reporter used his mobile phone to take the picture.

I disagree.  the extreme compression of perspective implies a very high zoom.  I think they used an ordinary telephoto lens (maybe 200 or 400mm) and cropped it down to 800 or even more equivalent zoom.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kj3400

Two of those signs for Rt 267 on I-495 have a white 'TOLL' banner.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

1995hoo

Quote from: kj3400 on November 15, 2012, 02:28:59 PM
Two of those signs for Rt 267 on I-495 have a white 'TOLL' banner.

Yeah, I think those were just copied from the old signs, which had been there for at least 15 years (probably more) and had white "TOLL" banners. No idea why some of them use yellow and some white. In general they've done a pretty good job with the signs on the Beltway during the reconstruction.

Here's a picture from AA Roads showing what the old signs looked like. I always found the absence of any destinations to be odd. This sign was located roughly where the very long gantry in the foreground of the new picture posted above is located (the one that spans both carriageways and carries four signs).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: ShawnP on November 20, 2012, 11:20:28 AM
Downtown Corydon, Indiana site of the latest sign goof. INDOT just put up big ole signs spelled Capital Blvd. Well it's spelled Capitol Blvd. INDOT might have been confused by Old Capital Bank at the corner (Capital as in money..). For those that don't know Corydon is the first state Capitol of Indiana.

Methinks it's a very common mistake. When you think of it, Capital refers to a city where the state/national governments meet, and Capitol refers to the building where said meetings take place. The three Capitol Streets in Washington (North, South, East) are somewhat of an exception, as they lead away from the U.S. Capitol. Why there's no West Capitol Street, I'd say that the Smithsonian museums and the city parkland might have something to do with it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Michael

While I was positioning a Street View link for a Sine Salad I found at the east end of the Clark Bridge between Illinois and Missouri, I noticed that there were chevrons used to denote the end of the road, which isn't allowed by the MUTCD:
Quote from: MUTCD Section 2C.09, Paragraph 7
Chevron Alignment signs shall not be placed on the far side of a T-intersection facing traffic on the stem approach to warn drivers that a through movement is not physically possible, as this is the function of a Two-Direction (or One-Direction) Large Arrow sign.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Billy F 1988

I'm not familiar with MUTCD but judging by what I saw in that link, the double-headed horizontal arrow tabs are fine to stay. The chevrons aren't supposed to be there, unless there came an exempt for the chevrons to be installed next to the double-headed horizontal arrow tab, which I doubt.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Central Avenue

I'm willing to bet the two chevron examples predate this specific MUTCD prohibition.

At the very least, the text Michael quoted doesn't seem to be in the 2003 edition.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

yakra

The Maine example is "As Long As I Can Remember", which may be mid-late 80s.
Or so.
Or not.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Central Avenue on November 22, 2012, 12:50:29 AM
I'm willing to bet the two chevron examples predate this specific MUTCD prohibition.

At the very least, the text Michael quoted doesn't seem to be in the 2003 edition.

Was that added in the '09 MUTCD update?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Central Avenue

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on November 23, 2012, 01:36:26 AM
Quote from: Central Avenue on November 22, 2012, 12:50:29 AM

Was that added in the '09 MUTCD update?

As far as I can tell, yes.

Of course, that doesn't mean the previous MUTCD condoned the misuse of chevrons in any way, just that they hadn't outright said NO yet.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

vtk

In Coldwater, MI yesterday I spotted a W2-4 sign (T intersection ahead diamond) on the far side of an intersection where a street ended.  No double-headed arrow, no chevrons, no red or yellow diamond reflector arrays.

Maybe we need a thread for "signage fail" – as in, "No, [local street agency], this is not adequate."  Or would that already be covered by this thread?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Central Avenue

Makes me think of Taylor Road Extension at Taylor Road in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. It's a normal T-intersection, but Taylor Road to the right is a dead end, and this is how they chose to signify that:

PHLBOS

Not sure if this one was ever picked up earlier in this thread (if it was, pardon any redundance); but along I-95/MA 128 southbound in Wakefield, there's a distance BGS for I-93, I-90/Mass Pike & Providence (around mile marker 60.5 or 60.6) .  It lists the distance to I-93 as 3-1/2 miles when in reality (this will become more apparent when MA switches over to mile-marker-based exit numbering in the foreseable future) it's about 5 miles (I-93 overpass is at mile marker 55.6).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Should be US 25W.

Spot the spelling error.

This one's subtle.

In Harrisonburg, Va.

One of these routes does not appear on the US Ends site.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

yakra

The 62/55 one is sailing over my head.
Should "Bluegrass" be spelled out?

Alps

Quote from: yakra on November 26, 2012, 04:05:52 PM
Colors are reversed.

Kniwt

Installed recently on San Antonio Road in Palo Alto, Calif.:

NE2

Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 04:41:11 PM
Colors are reversed.
No parking on the parkway hurr hurr hurr
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 04:41:11 PM
Colors are reversed.

There were a lot more reversed BG signs than WK signs, although I saw a few of them too over the years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: Kniwt on November 26, 2012, 05:46:35 PM
Installed recently on San Antonio Road in Palo Alto, Calif.:

Don't tell anyone about it. I'll be there next year. Meet me there with bolt cutters.

kphoger

If they had used a white-on blue arrow, would it be better or worse?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.