News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Brian556 on December 23, 2012, 09:26:01 PM
I noticed this one, too. When i was working for TxDOT, ths sign was in the other guy's maintenance area, so I didn't fix it.

I always wondered how this works. Does each TxDOT guy get his own maintenance area marked off on a map, and the assigned employee is responsible for driving around looking for missing/damaged signs/potholes/mangled guardrail every day, and turning in the necessary paperwork to get it fixed if they notice everything? Or is it something totally different than that?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

If this has been posted, my apologies.

US 1 at SR 0073 in Philadelphia.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Roadsguy

And one intersection west of there, forget which one...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Bud8Amp88

Figured I'd bring some Nova Scotia screw-ups into the mix as my first board post.

NS-111 (The Circumferential Highway) is officially signed north/south, yet in no fewer than four different spots, is signed incorrectly.

1 - Route 322 NB, at the 111 SB on-ramp: http://goo.gl/maps/TS8FS (Signed as 111 EB)
2 - Route 322 SB, at the 111 SB on-ramp: http://goo.gl/maps/Ar5ep  (Signed as 111 EB)
3 - Burnside Drive/Highfield Park Dr., sign for 111 NB on-ramp: http://goo.gl/maps/bnUGT (Signed as 111 SB)
4 - Gantry approaching Exits 6A/6B on 111 SB: http://goo.gl/maps/PacRz (Signed as 111 EB)

The last one is particularly irritating considering the next gantry (which can be seen in the background) correctly signs the 111 as SB. The fact that the shields and plates are hideous doesn't help any.

Here's a couple other unrelated goofs I've found:

1 - http://goo.gl/maps/vxfyq
Trunk 1 EB in Weymouth, just east of NS-101 Exit 28. The [1][EAST] shields should be with the "Halifax, Digby" portion of the sign, and not pointing toward Weymouth Falls (unless this was on an old alignment or something, but I doubt it, as the road in question continues due east for quite some distance, and the signage WB is correct).

2 - http://goo.gl/maps/AzpQm
Downtown New Glascow - where there's sine salad at every corner! Not only is there a [104] plate missing for the T.C.H. shields (may be on purpose though, with T.C.H. 106 a couple kms to the west), but Trunk 4 is signed East/West, not North/South like these shields indicate (in fact, I believe this is the ONLY set of shields that sign Trunk 4 that way). Add in the inconsistent [TO] plates, and this salad is (to quote Gordon Ramsay) "bloody dreadful".
I'm a roadgeek...and I have the cramps in my neck to prove it...

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on January 05, 2013, 06:56:58 PM

I do not know if anyone caught this one in rural Collier County, FL.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Davie,+FL&hl=en&ll=26.152115,-81.344436&spn=0.004902,0.010568&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.892242,21.643066&oq=dav&hnear=Davie,+Broward,+Florida&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=26.152984,-81.345088&panoid=GG16twEKkg3vPAi4jn6XWw&cbp=12,206.02,,0,0

Not terribly erroneous, although perhaps outdated, like finding an east/west US 1 or I-95 sign in Connecticut.

ETA:  The BGS on FL 29 NB for I-75 to Naples also says West instead of North (here), but the signs approaching the junction on either direction of FL 29 have North/South banners for I-75 (here, here).

deathtopumpkins

Don't know if it's still kicking, as I haven't quite made it to that stretch of VT 121 yet, but apparently the town of Windham has decided to promote VT 121 to US 121, even though VT 121 isn't even paved past the yellow sign in the background!
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadman65

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 05, 2013, 11:36:31 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 05, 2013, 06:56:58 PM

I do not know if anyone caught this one in rural Collier County, FL.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Davie,+FL&hl=en&ll=26.152115,-81.344436&spn=0.004902,0.010568&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.892242,21.643066&oq=dav&hnear=Davie,+Broward,+Florida&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=26.152984,-81.345088&panoid=GG16twEKkg3vPAi4jn6XWw&cbp=12,206.02,,0,0

Not terribly erroneous, although perhaps outdated, like finding an east/west US 1 or I-95 sign in Connecticut.

ETA:  The BGS on FL 29 NB for I-75 to Naples also says West instead of North (here), but the signs approaching the junction on either direction of FL 29 have North/South banners for I-75 (here, here).
I saw the banners approaching, but cardinal ruling for interstates is they have to be signed North- South for odd numbered routes and East-West for even number routes.  This is not only a violation of that, but the rest of I-75 signs it N-S.  Even from I-595 and the Sawgrass Parkway it was corrected.  So, this is erroneous here.

Now when it comes to I-69 being signed E-W in Michigan, true it is in violation, but all the signs are consistent east of Lansing to confirm it as East and West.

With US 1, yes it was signed East- West statewide, but in this case I-75 was not signed as East and West state or region wide.  All the shields on I-75, including Rest Area signage shows I-75 as N-S. Here is a rare case, and it was not left over as I-75 was not officially an East - West route.

Apples and Oranges between the two.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on January 06, 2013, 01:54:45 AM
With US 1, yes it was signed East- West statewide, but in this case I-75 was not signed as East and West state or region wide.  All the shields on I-75, including Rest Area signage shows I-75 as N-S. Here is a rare case, and it was not left over as I-75 was not officially an East - West route.

I'm pretty sure Alligator Alley was at one point officially signed East/West, and I'm pretty sure US 41 in the same area still is.

ETA: In fact, according to this, those north-south banners on FL 29 used to be east-west banners.

vtk

I don't think it's correct to say that an odd-numbered Interstate has to be signed as N/S just because of its odd number.  When I-75 was given its number, that number is odd because the route generally runs N/S, yes.  That's part of AASHO's self-imposed "rules" on Interstate numbering.  But reversing the cause-effect relationship of direction and number would be a logical fallacy.  If Florida were to choose to sign the AA section of I-75 as E/W, that's not in violation of any federal rule. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Just noticed this after 3.5 years of being on my site. Who says old signs can't be erroneous?

roadman65

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 06, 2013, 07:19:03 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 06, 2013, 01:54:45 AM

I'm pretty sure Alligator Alley was at one point officially signed East/West, and I'm pretty sure US 41 in the same area still is.

ETA: In fact, according to this, those north-south banners on FL 29 used to be east-west banners.
could have been posted as East & West just like the Sawgrass, and I-595 were, but FDOT did eventually change them back.  There are also general rules that are not legislated nor in guidelines and for the most part road agencies try to keep interstates signed by cardinal direction.  Example I-94 between Milwaukee and Chicago is N-S, but still signed E-W.

US Routes are more local and do not stand out like the nation's interstates, so they can be more flexible.  Yes, US 41 in Miami-Dade is signed East & West. 

Anyway, I-75 was signed in error the whole thing, and was corrected, but as you say some signs are left and this is definetely the case of it here.  Even so it was only between a few interchanges.  For the record, the US 27 interchange always had I-75 as North & South when the others were East & West.  To my knowledge only two interchanges (I am not sure how Snake Road is or was signed) had the E-W banners.  To me, anyway, it was not official and most of all it was not consistent either.  I still say it is erroneous. 

Remember, this is only opinion and you may see it differently and have your own opinion.  Its just I lived in Florida for 23 years and I have seen many signs come and go, so to me I am going to see things differently.  Its just me, but to me I-75 was never an East- West highway. 

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

Quote from: Bud8Amp88 on January 05, 2013, 02:04:43 PM
Downtown New Glascow - where there's sine salad at every corner! Not only is there a [104] plate missing for the T.C.H. shields (may be on purpose though, with T.C.H. 106 a couple kms to the west), but Trunk 4 is signed East/West, not North/South like these shields indicate (in fact, I believe this is the ONLY set of shields that sign Trunk 4 that way). Add in the inconsistent [TO] plates, and this salad is (to quote Gordon Ramsay) "bloody dreadful".
Great, right when I finally convince myself that there's a gap in Trunk 4 here, Google has to go and update Street View! Before the Sept 2012 imagery update, I last took a thorough virtual drive thru there in late 2011, and everything was pretty much unsigned, save for this sign, and the same assembly you linked. Back then, IIRC, there was just a {4} shield, and no directional banners or arrows. Also, there had been a {6} trailblazer here along with one for the TCH and I think Route 289. As well as a few more out-of-place {6} markers along 289 coming north toward that point. Makes me wish I'd taken some screenshots! :-D

Also: Did you notice the sign for 374 instead of 347 in your link? Looks like NSDOT got a little dyslexic and mixed`em up!

Edit: And 348 north and south are both to the left, eh? Crikey, this one is bloody dreadful!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Bud8Amp88

Quote from: yakra on January 06, 2013, 07:34:34 PM
Quote from: Bud8Amp88 on January 05, 2013, 02:04:43 PM
Great, right when I finally convince myself that there's a gap in Trunk 4 here, Google has to go and update Street View! Before the Sept 2012 imagery update, I last took a thorough virtual drive thru there in late 2011, and everything was pretty much unsigned, save for this sign, and the same assembly you linked. Back then, IIRC, there was just a {4} shield, and no directional banners or arrows. Also, there had been a {6} trailblazer here along with one for the TCH and I think Route 289. As well as a few more out-of-place {6} markers along 289 coming north toward that point. Makes me wish I'd taken some screenshots! :-D

Also: Did you notice the sign for 374 instead of 347 in your link? Looks like NSDOT got a little dyslexic and mixed`em up!

Edit: And 348 north and south are both to the left, eh? Crikey, this one is bloody dreadful!
Holy smokes, I didn't even notice either of those! Further proof that it is possible to get irretrievably lost in New Glascow...

At least Trunk 4 is actually signed in New Glascow now. If only they'd close the freakin' gap in it between Debert (where the last proof of the 2/4 multiplex is) and Bible Hill (where the next [4] [East] sign appears), we'd be all set!

Edit: Found another one, sort of:
http://goo.gl/maps/yUXJW
Trunk 2 at the NS-118/NS-102 split. While Route 213 does branch off of Trunk 2, it doesn't do so until much further south in Hammonds Plains. Route 318 is just south of this interchange however, and so this likely should have been the route mentioned.

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2013, 11:54:40 AM

Just noticed this after 3.5 years of being on my site. Who says old signs can't be erroneous?

ERMAGERD CHILDERN?

(Sorry, had to do it.)
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

cpzilliacus

Westbound Va. 236 (Main Street) west of downtown Fairfax (but within the corporate limits of the City of  Fairfax):

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 07, 2013, 10:56:11 PM
Westbound Va. 236 (Main Street) west of downtown Fairfax (but within the corporate limits of the City of  Fairfax):

that looks to be an 18" shield.  am I correct?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 08, 2013, 12:20:30 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 07, 2013, 10:56:11 PM

that looks to be an 18" shield.  am I correct?

I think so.  What makes it an error is the circle, which in Virginia is for secondary highways only (route number greater than or equal to 600).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bud8Amp88

Here we go again...

1 - http://goo.gl/maps/vysx5
T.C.H. 104, Exit 29A. NSDOT couldn't afford two Trans-Canada-Highway shields? Use [TCH] plates instead!

2 - http://goo.gl/maps/oUMUh
Trunk 4 WB, approaching access road for T.C.H. 104 Exit 30. Don't want to paint T.C.H. shields? Use provincial ones instead!

3 - http://goo.gl/maps/SN7C3
Trunk 4 WB at the western terminus of NS-104 on Cape Breton. The 104 travels east from here, not west.

4 - http://goo.gl/maps/j1U0s
NS-104, Exit 46. Black-on-white Trunk [East] plate used instead of white-on-blue provincial plate.

5 - http://goo.gl/maps/qRmzp
Trunk 4 WB near NS-104 Exit 47. Green T.C.H. plates used. (The 104 lost it's T.C.H. designation back at the Canso Causeway).

formulanone

This is one that was correct, then modified to fit the downgrade, but now wonderfully incorrect, since becoming "upgraded" to state road status once again. Either that, or it erroneously was patched. I'm fine with it as it is, however.

formulanone

It had to, because it used to be State Road 84.

US 98 in Florida changes its "directions" which ever way the wind blows.

Alps

Quote from: formulanone on January 09, 2013, 06:49:02 PM

It had to, because it used to be State Road 84.

US 98 in Florida changes its "directions" which ever way the wind blows.
I missed the original quote, but US 41 changes at the Dade County line.

Brandon

Did we read the instructions prior to installation?  There were four like this in the City of Crest Hill, IL.

I saw the new signs Thursday night, took the photos Friday morning, and by Friday evening, the errors (all four) had been fixed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Central Avenue

Pff Hahaha

It's not like it's even an especially uncommon sign. There's no way somebody can live and work in the midwest and not see signs like that literally every day!
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.