News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KG909

Quote from: jake on September 21, 2014, 10:10:56 PM
Quote from: KG909 on September 21, 2014, 09:55:20 PM
Quote from: jake on September 21, 2014, 09:27:50 PM
Quote from: KG909 on September 21, 2014, 12:06:23 AM
Should be CA 99

I assume this is an old photo based on the grain and (what looks like) button copy, but weren't old California interstates signed with state-named shields? And that is an honest question...I keep contradicting myself, one moment thinking they did and other moments thinking they didn't.

Yeah it's pretty old but no I'm sure this was a mistake or something. I don't think California ever signed its highways with interstate shields.

Well of course, no doubt. But I'm wondering if the use of I-99 was intentional (based on reading above) or not. I'm not familiar with the original I-99 plans (if there were any) but perhaps the signage was placed in preparation for an eventual implementation. Then again, it would still be erroneous because I-99 never truly existed in that place and at that time (nor now even).
Oh no we were just messing around. Yet I wouldn't be surprised if they tried intentionally because I-238 exists here.
~Fuccboi

jakeroot

Quote from: KG909 on September 21, 2014, 10:13:11 PM
Quote from: jake on September 21, 2014, 10:10:56 PM
Quote from: KG909 on September 21, 2014, 09:55:20 PM
Quote from: jake on September 21, 2014, 09:27:50 PM
Quote from: KG909 on September 21, 2014, 12:06:23 AM
Should be CA 99

I assume this is an old photo based on the grain and (what looks like) button copy, but weren't old California interstates signed with state-named shields? And that is an honest question...I keep contradicting myself, one moment thinking they did and other moments thinking they didn't.

Yeah it's pretty old but no I'm sure this was a mistake or something. I don't think California ever signed its highways with interstate shields.

Well of course, no doubt. But I'm wondering if the use of I-99 was intentional (based on reading above) or not. I'm not familiar with the original I-99 plans (if there were any) but perhaps the signage was placed in preparation for an eventual implementation. Then again, it would still be erroneous because I-99 never truly existed in that place and at that time (nor now even).

Oh no we were just messing around. Yet I wouldn't be surprised if they tried intentionally because I-238 exists here.

Dammit. Though CalTrans can be ambitious sometimes.

MarkF

Here's another Caltrans route promotion, should be CA 241:

This was taken in 2006, I think the sign was up for a few years, but it was on a then uncompleted stretch of Alton Pkwy, so not much exposure at the time.

BTW, a new sign with a CA 5 shield went up on southbound Sand Canyon in Irvine just north of I-5. Don't know if this is Caltrans' work or Irvine's.  I'll try to get a photo the next time I go by it.

roadman65

https://flic.kr/p/p4h6Nt
https://flic.kr/p/pjswnL
This is how most of the US 19, 98, and 27 Alternate concurrency is signed.  ALT US 27 is on top always, with one directional header for all three routes with the ALT banner in between the direction and all three routes too giving it the impression that US 19 & 98 are also alternate routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2014, 07:06:45 AM
https://flic.kr/p/p4h6Nt
https://flic.kr/p/pjswnL
This is how most of the US 19, 98, and 27 Alternate concurrency is signed.  ALT US 27 is on top always, with one directional header for all three routes with the ALT banner in between the direction and all three routes too giving it the impression that US 19 & 98 are also alternate routes.

Which is why we either need to deprecate Alternate 27 (and call the non-multiplexed section FL 500).

Or just go back to colored Kodachrome unishields (not going to happen, though they had the directional banners on them).

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

Shot about ten hours ago at Fore River Parkway (US1A) and I-295:
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

jakeroot

Quote from: yakra on September 27, 2014, 01:42:47 AM

Gonna have to expand there, mate.

roadman65

The arrow in this assembly for US 221 is totally incorrect.  It should be a doubleheader with the other end of the arrow pointing straight ahead.

US 221 joins US 41 for a brief period along Perimeter Road in Valdosta after leaving a longer concurrency with US 84 between Valdosta and Quittman here.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: jake on September 27, 2014, 03:06:14 AM

I'm going to guess the diamond sign with the left and right angled arrows is improperly used. It's to signify that both lanes are for the same direction of travel, but with an obstruction such as a median, pillar, or construction zone.

Using it to denote a gore point for an on-ramp is weird.

odditude

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2014, 02:14:30 PM

I'm going to guess the diamond sign with the left and right angled arrows is improperly used. It's to signify that both lanes are for the same direction of travel, but with an obstruction such as a median, pillar, or construction zone.

i figured it was because the interchange is with I-295.

roadfro

That is an acceptable use of the double-arrow sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kacie Jane

No offense guys, but I think they did spell it out pretty well. It's at the intersection of Fore River Parkway and I-295. That's an I-95 shield.

Must predate the renumbering to keep I-95 on the turnpike.

formulanone

My brain is in debt with stupid, so I didn't notice the "295" in the post.

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on September 27, 2014, 07:13:03 PM
At least you did not have our resident bipolar troll in this thread to tell you this LOL!

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Fuck you. I'm tripolar. I jump between awesome, awesomer, and awesomest.

You, on the other hand, are classic passive-aggressive.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Revive 755

Semi erroneous sequence on eastbound County A26 at the McHenry County border with Lake County in NE Illinois:

Streetview of End/McHenry County A26/Bay Road

Streetview of East/Lake County A26/Big Hollow Road a few hundred feet east of the end assembly.

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on September 27, 2014, 08:05:31 PM

Hey, don't knock being passive-aggressive. It can be a pretty handy trait to have sometimes.

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2014, 03:18:47 AMThe arrow in this assembly for US 221 is totally incorrect.  It should be a doubleheader with the other end of the arrow pointing straight ahead.

Arrow errors are pretty common in Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Yawn  :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2014, 07:23:21 PM
At least you did not have our resident bipolar troll in this thread to tell you this LOL!

Wait, I thought I was the bipolar troll?  Though I guess I still can be if NE2 claims to have an additional pole.

Brandon

Quote from: Kacie Jane on September 27, 2014, 10:47:35 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2014, 07:23:21 PM

Wait, I thought I was the bipolar troll?  Though I guess I still can be if NE2 claims to have an additional pole.

I'd guess he has an additional leg as well.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on September 27, 2014, 06:31:17 PM
No offense guys, but I think they did spell it out pretty well. It's at the intersection of Fore River Parkway and I-295. That's an I-95 shield.

I must have used this same meme at least three times, but it has many uses:

Quote from: roadfro on September 27, 2014, 04:04:26 PM

That is an acceptable use of the double-arrow sign.

MUTCD Section 2C.25: The Double Arrow (W12-1) sign...may be used to advise road users that...traffic separated by this sign may either rejoin or change directions.

I see this double-arrow sign most everyday now, and it's interesting because it also has two flashing yellow arrows above the sign pointing in the same direction as the two black arrows. The road itself splits at this location:

I see the double-arrow sign used a lot in New Zealand at slip lane splits:

TEG24601

Thanks in large part to a post over in Sine Salad, I found an Erroneous road sign in Yarmouth, NS.

The sign is at the Western Terminus of NS 103.  It indicates that this road is NS 101, which it is not, it is simply a local road.  NS 101 is about 2500' straight ahead.  The "To" portion is correct, and the whole sign would be correct if the two and the 101 shield were swapped.

NS 101 and NS 103 were original supposed to be continuations of each other (forming a loop from Halifax to Yarmouth on both the North and South shores), but it appears now that that may never happen, with this, Breezewood style gap.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

yakra

Quote from: odditude on September 27, 2014, 02:37:41 PMi figured it was because the interchange is with I-295.
Ding ding ding!

I travel thru here fairly regularly, and it's only shown up in the last couple weeks. July 2011 StreetView looks right. I wonder what happened, if the sine got jüted or something...
This is at part of what I call "Classic" I-295, which was never intended to be part of I-95.

jakeroot

Quote from: yakra on September 30, 2014, 01:00:19 AM

I travel thru here fairly regularly, and it's only shown up in the last couple weeks. July 2011 StreetView looks right. I wonder what happened, if the sine got jüted or something...
This is at part of what I call "Classic" I-295, which was never intended to be part of I-95.

The old 295 shield was state-named, so it was probably old and someone decided it needed replacing. Some silly DOT worker obviously was paying no attention to the fact that the road is 295, and put up 95.

Just a classic fuck-up, is my guess.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.