News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cl94 on November 03, 2015, 10:00:51 AM
The Trans-Manhattan Expressway is almost always the Cross Bronx.

The exception I am familiar with is the radio traffic report name, "Under the Apartment Buildings."

For the uninitiated, I'm not joking.  The Manhattan portion of I-95 is almost completely covered by air rights development in the form of the Port Authority George Washington Bridge Bus Station and several residential towers.

mrsman

I think the point is that many of the official names for these parkways are really not used - so even the BGSs omit the names.

ModernDayWarrior

I spotted a couple of erroneous road signs today in Rolla, Missouri:

008 by ModernDayWarrior, on Flickr

MO-72 duplexes with US-63 through Rolla until it ends at I-44 about a mile north of this spot, except that MO-72 is an east-west route. This is the only sign I saw that signed MO-72 as a northbound route - and didn't see any that signed it southbound, either.

010 by ModernDayWarrior, on Flickr

Same junction. No directional arrows for US-63!

012 by ModernDayWarrior, on Flickr

Here is MO-72 correctly signed as a westbound route, just past the previous junction.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9606286,-89.089909,3a,75y,113.49h,76.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sumfaO4J8z-0v85jlNGDqsg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The JCT header is erroneous as the sign is actually on all three routes which concur through Downtown Vandalia, IL.  The caption is looking East on US 40 and IL 185, and South on US 51 before US 51 splits off to head to Sandoval from the other two routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

^^ I have see this in Illinois before where they use a junction sign when a multiplex ends.

roadman65

Quote from: Big John on November 07, 2015, 02:45:57 PM
^^ I have see this in Illinois before where they use a junction sign when a multiplex ends.
Dodge City, KS as well before US 400 got rerouted to bypass the historic city.  Over the bridge where US 56 & US 283 junction with US 50 Business there was one in the 2001 that I have photographed.  I will have to check GSV to see if its still there or not, but I imagine it still is.

Anyway, it is kind of the wrong header to use.  Maybe our local grammar Nazis need to lecture IDOT and KDOT on these signs.

Sheryl Crowe

jbnv

Quote from: Big John on November 07, 2015, 02:45:57 PM

I've seen it in Louisiana.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hbelkins

Yes, this is a fairly common occurrence in Illinois.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theFXexpert

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

hbelkins

Going through some old photos and I found this.

yakra

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2015, 09:58:39 PM

Wait. What... Where...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

freebrickproductions

I'm  a bit confused here. It might be just my general unfamiliarity with the area, but which shield is erroneous? If I had to take a guess though, I'd say either the US 6 or US 250 sheilds.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kurumi

Looks like Afton, VA: https://goo.gl/maps/srRMAsqpRkC2

Very surprising because VA is not known for bad signage :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

thenetwork

US-6 & US-250 meet in Sandusky, OH.   That ain't no Sandusky!!  :)

CNGL-Leudimin

Especially since I-64 is nowhere near Sandusky! :sombrero:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on November 07, 2015, 02:13:33 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9606286,-89.089909,3a,75y,113.49h,76.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sumfaO4J8z-0v85jlNGDqsg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
The JCT header is erroneous as the sign is actually on all three routes which concur through Downtown Vandalia, IL.  The caption is looking East on US 40 and IL 185, and South on US 51 before US 51 splits off to head to Sandoval from the other two routes.

That's fairly standard for IDOT.

Here's something similar from Gibson City: https://goo.gl/maps/Kmq2hWm9pjQ2
At that point, you're on all three routes (IL-9, 47, and 54).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

With US-6 and US-250, it looked like Ohio screwed up in Sandusky.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Quote from: Brandon on November 13, 2015, 01:53:12 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 07, 2015, 02:13:33 PM

That's fairly standard for IDOT.

Here's something similar from Gibson City: https://goo.gl/maps/Kmq2hWm9pjQ2
At that point, you're on all three routes (IL-9, 47, and 54).
Whether standard in Illinois or not, its still erroneous.  The JCT header is for the new roads coming into the mix or crossing the one you are on.

If that is the case lets for say at the Junction of US 6 in US 219 in rural western central PA which is a standard four way intersection have on US 6 in both directions have a sign that reads "JCT US 6 & US 219" or here in Florida at US 98 and US 331 in the Panhandle on all three legs read "JCT US 98 & US 331."

IDOT is wrong for adapting this as having shields with arrows showing the split or even doing what Wyoming does and that is have a large sign reading "Routes divide Ahead" is better than this.  FDOT got rid of theirs that they used in Haines City as its the wrong way to do so.

Sheryl Crowe

WillWeaverRVA

Something is seriously wrong with that I-64 shield, too...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jbnati27

Looks like they've fixed it now, at least on GSV. This is in Virginia, outside of Waynesboro. I know it doesn't look like that at all in Sandusky, OH!
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0379387,-78.8365591,3a,30.4y,306.38h,85.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfbC-3yodc-M_IvZZnh5XEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
:biggrin:

hbelkins

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 13, 2015, 03:16:53 PM

Something is seriously wrong with that I-64 shield, too...

There's some peeling going on with all of the signs on that assembly. It looks similar to what I've seen when a grass fire got too close to signs with reflective sheeting.

Quote from: kurumi on November 13, 2015, 11:28:23 AM

Surely you jest...  :bigass:

jbnati27

Quote from: kurumi on November 13, 2015, 11:28:23 AM
Looks like Afton, VA: https://goo.gl/maps/srRMAsqpRkC2

Oh man, I just realized I had found nearly the exact same map point as this picture. Sorry about the redundancy y'all!   :-/

SignGeek101

Anyone notice the 'TO' has the 'O' as a lowercase? It looks like it could be Clearview as well, but can't tell.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 13, 2015, 06:19:22 PM

Anyone notice the 'TO' has the 'O' as a lowercase? It looks like it could be Clearview as well, but can't tell.

I think both characters are caps, but the "T" is just larger per MUTCD rules, which require larger initial caps.

I don't think it's Clearview, but both the "T" and "O" are hard to distinguish by themselves, so I couldn't be sure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.