News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 12, 2016, 12:26:38 AM
A couple of FL 90 shields I spotted on US 90 in Gretna, FL and near Quincy, FL last week. New installs too. :no:
Erroneous FL 90 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Back in 1991 when Beach Blvd (US 90 from downtown  Jacksonville to the beach) in Jacksonville was resurfaced the signs were replaced. There were SR90 signs for a few weeks. 

I assumed it was because they did not have blue US 90 shields available
But the black and white us shields should not be a problem.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 11, 2016, 10:48:58 PM
Credit to Angelfire.com

Your font is too bold. Please stop. It's getting to me. Just stop messing around with the bold feature.

Angelfire has long disallowed hotlinking of images. You're gonna need to download the image and host it somewhere else.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

noelbotevera

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 12, 2016, 11:22:53 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 11, 2016, 10:48:58 PM
Credit to Angelfire.com

Your font is too bold. Please stop. It's getting to me. Just stop messing around with the bold feature.

Angelfire has long disallowed hotlinking of images. You're gonna need to download the image and host it somewhere else.
Right. It's supposed to be another sign from Oklahoma, but I'll try my best with another picture. Hope this works.

Courtesy of billburmaster.com

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 12, 2016, 11:25:25 AMCourtesy of billburmaster.com

Control-city fonts looks to be Series EE (maybe even Series F) with inadequate spacing.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

texaskdog

The Business I-363 is still in Temple on I-35.  With construction there is nowhere to pull over to get a good picture and I can't find it on streetview.  It is on NB I-35 just before the exit ramp to Bucees.

Mapmikey

Quote from: texaskdog on July 12, 2016, 11:53:14 AM
The Business I-363 is still in Temple on I-35.  With construction there is nowhere to pull over to get a good picture and I can't find it on streetview.  It is on NB I-35 just before the exit ramp to Bucees.

Here it is in GMSV:

https://goo.gl/maps/GqPMZMTMC842

WNYroadgeek

Sryacuse Airport?

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/sign_on_i-481_near_syracuse_misspells_citys_name.html

Seems to be a fairly new installation, since the signage in the most recent GSV imagery of the interchange (taken last October) is correct.

EDIT: It was installed last week, according to a comment in the linked article.

kphoger

Because our brains are so good unscrambling words as long as the initial and final letters are in place, I didn't catch the error the first three times I looked at the picture.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Yep, I'll admit I didn't see anything wrong until I read the URL title  :-D

mass_citizen

looks like some excessive spacing between words as well?

cl94

I was a bit startled when I saw this sign today in the City of Saratoga Springs on WB NY 29. Even thought the city maintains this stretch, it's on Z-bars, leading me to believe that NYSDOT installed the sign. Ironically, one of the only "city speed limit" signs in the city is a few blocks west of here, also on WB NY 29 (Saratoga Springs usually uses "area speed limit").

Of course, Saratoga is an oddity in many ways, as it's also one of the only cities where reference markers do not reset at the city line (I-87, NY 9L, and NY 50 confirmed, likely others as well) and it includes quite a bit of undeveloped land.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

machias

Quote from: mass_citizen on July 13, 2016, 08:40:07 PM
looks like some excessive spacing between words as well?

The plans for contract D263008 showed small representations of the signs for placement location but I couldn't find any full scale sign layouts. This leads me to believe that the contractor (Elderlee, Inc.) designed (or redesigned) the signs, leading to the misspelling and the huge amount of space between "Sryacuse" and "Airport".  The signs on D263008 for the airport are all correct (the NY 11 shields is another matter).

Mistakes happen. I get that. But someone on the installation crew must have noticed that the sign was incorrect and they chose to install it anyway. I don't know how anyone with any sort of pride in their work can do that. A sign of the current state of the United States: quick, cheap and "it ain't my job".

7/8

I believe the sign on the left on Victoria St/Hwy 7 in Kitchener is technically not correct.

The Hwy 7 shield here is a junction shield, but I think it should instead be like this shield below.

^ Photo credit: AsphaltPlanet

odditude

Quote from: 7/8 on July 14, 2016, 09:44:55 PM
I believe the sign on the left on Victoria St/Hwy 7 in Kitchener is technically not correct.
for the purposes of these threads, this one belongs in "Design Errors" - while they definitely screwed up, it's not in a way that makes the information presented incorrect.

that being said, good find!

chays

This sign is at the top of a T-intersection (see here at Wilson and Lakeview: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7580818,-81.3357706,18.28z).  It seems to indicated to driver that both directions end at a dead end, which isn't the case at all.  This is the wrong use of a dead end sign.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on July 15, 2016, 11:17:35 PM

Defiance, Missouri

I didn't notice it at first.
Well, technically, it is a state highway, so......... nope, still wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

US71

Along the KATY Trail, should be MO 94
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

7/8

Signs on the 401 and 407 for Hurontario St call it "Highway 10", even though Highway 10 was decommissioned in Brampton and Mississauga for two decades now. Here's a picture I took for the 407 exit for Hurontario St. I know a lot of people still call it highway 10, but it's still incorrect.

Quillz

Not quite...

A bit closer, but still wrong...

noelbotevera

Quote from: Quillz on July 17, 2016, 06:17:33 PM
A bit closer, but still wrong...

Shouldn't it be Cabrillo Freeway?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

formulanone

VA 89 gets a downgrade to secondary at the Blue Ridge Parkway:

VA 639 gets a temporary upgrade for this detour sign:

mass_citizen

Fresh install on I-93 SB, Medford, MA just after the MA-38 exit. It is part of the RTTM statewide project, the time displays are not active yet. Based on my odometer, the Zakim bridge should read "3 MI"

As usual, the contractor that put this sign in did not stop and wonder how the Mass Ave exit which is on the complete opposite end of the artery tunnel could be the same distance as the Zakim. 

bob7374

Quote from: mass_citizen on July 18, 2016, 11:53:32 PM

Fresh install on I-93 SB, Medford, MA just after the MA-38 exit. It is part of the RTTM statewide project, the time displays are not active yet. Based on my odometer, the Zakim bridge should read "3 MI"

As usual, the contractor that put this sign in did not stop and wonder how the Mass Ave exit which is on the complete opposite end of the artery tunnel could be the same distance as the Zakim. 
This is a contractor error, not MassDOT's, the original sign plan lists 5 miles to the Mass Ave exit. Here's the sign drawing:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.