News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: amroad17 on August 10, 2016, 09:26:43 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on August 10, 2016, 02:41:23 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 10, 2016, 12:35:40 AM
No, that's not the right order.

There's a similar sign along MD-276 north in Cecil County, Maryland. Lancaster, Pennsylvania is on this sign because this is part of Truck Route 222, and many truck drivers heading north toward Lancaster from I-95 use the truck route. However, Lancaster should be below Rising Sun.

There is a mileage sign on I-71/75 southbound in Florence, KY displaying the following (in Clearview):

Louisville      88
           Lexington     71

This is south of Exit 180 for those who may want to view it on Google Maps.
Maybe it's because top destination is control city for 71 ...bottom is the control city for 75

paulthemapguy

Quote from: tckma on August 12, 2016, 01:16:08 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 11, 2016, 10:47:09 PM
Speaking of US 34, it has shown up in Adams County as well.  (2015 GSV)

I think I'm having déjà vù... see my post from April 21...

I wasn't sure if I was playing out a dream I had previously, or if I was actually repeating myself.  Indeed it was the latter.  I'm starting to feel a bit less precognitive now XD
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

74/171FAN

Quote from: tckma on April 21, 2016, 03:21:00 PM
Here ya go.  This sign should say To PA-34, not To US-34.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8299606,-77.2311001,3a,75y,353.02h,86.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2PKDjHtfrp7gDPDgmD6ipg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I apologize.  I tried using the search method that we are supposed to use via the guidelines and I did not get the post as I searched "PA 34" (without the dash you added).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tckma

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 12, 2016, 04:21:07 PM
I apologize.  I tried using the search method that we are supposed to use via the guidelines and I did not get the post as I searched "PA 34" (without the dash you added).

Heh, I'm not angry; no need to apologize.

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hotdogPi

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 12, 2016, 08:59:50 PM
how do i order sign

1. go to dot.ca.gov
2. enter image web address as username
3. enter credit card number as password
4. you will receive it in 3-5 days
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US71

I'm not sure that's what he meant.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

how do i order sign

how do i do maths

source: http://www.psnw.com/~walksfar/caltrans.html

I was about to say the math could be due to rounding, but the difference is too much.  One of those distances has to be wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

noelbotevera

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2016, 10:19:26 AM
how do i order sign

how do i do maths

source: http://www.psnw.com/~walksfar/caltrans.html

I was about to say the math could be due to rounding, but the difference is too much.  One of those distances has to be wrong.
Two of them are wrong. Los Banos is correct, both photos were taken 8 miles of each other.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignGeek101

No respect for Ontario's second most (primary) highway, as it gets demoted to secondary status:

Ironic how the erroneous sign is in sight of an MTO truck inspection station  :-D
The sign going westbound is correct however; it uses a primary shield. Secondary shields are only used for the 500-600 numbers.

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/p9y7tn3YXV12

formulanone

So is it actually incorrect to place cities in the wrong distance order? I know it's uncommon, but is it actually an error?

(heh, now I'm going to start looking for these things.)

I guess the mileage is to the city's core is one measurement, so while the traveled distance on the same road might be different than the distance between the posted mileage between signs, since you have to add the additional distance to the destination once you leave the highway.

roadfro

Quote from: formulanone on August 14, 2016, 10:15:31 AM
So is it actually incorrect to place cities in the wrong distance order? I know it's uncommon, but is it actually an error?

(heh, now I'm going to start looking for these things.)

I guess the mileage is to the city's core is one measurement, so while the traveled distance on the same road might be different than the distance between the posted mileage between signs, since you have to add the additional distance to the destination once you leave the highway.

MUTCD guidance gives the following:
Quote from: MUTCD Section 2D.41The top name on the Distance sign should be that of the next place on the route having a post office or a railroad station, a route number or name of an intersected highway, or any other significant geographical identity. The bottom name on the sign should be that of the next major destination or control city. If three destinations are displayed, the middle line should be used to indicate communities of general interest along the route or important route junctions.

So I don't think it's incorrect, as long as there's a rational reason.

On the last page, I replied about a greater distance to San Francisco being listed on the middle line before Sacramento. In that case, being out of order is justified since the turnoff for San Francisco comes well before reaching Sacramento (control city for I-5). (Although probably a better solution would have been to list the intersecting interstate junction distance, instead of the distance to SF...)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

amroad17

Quote from: jwolfer on August 12, 2016, 01:30:46 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on August 10, 2016, 09:26:43 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on August 10, 2016, 02:41:23 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 10, 2016, 12:35:40 AM
No, that's not the right order.

There's a similar sign along MD-276 north in Cecil County, Maryland. Lancaster, Pennsylvania is on this sign because this is part of Truck Route 222, and many truck drivers heading north toward Lancaster from I-95 use the truck route. However, Lancaster should be below Rising Sun.

There is a mileage sign on I-71/75 southbound in Florence, KY displaying the following (in Clearview):

Louisville      88
           Lexington     71

This is south of Exit 180 for those who may want to view it on Google Maps.
Maybe it's because top destination is control city for 71 ...bottom is the control city for 75
Yes, that is probably why it is signed that way--just looks different.

This, I believe, was one of the first mileage signs posted when I-71/I-75 originally opened in the early 1960's.  It has been carbon copied twice, I think.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

bzakharin

Quote from: MUTCD Section 2D.41The top name on the Distance sign should be that of the next place on the route having a post office or a railroad station, a route number or name of an intersected highway, or any other significant geographical identity. The bottom name on the sign should be that of the next major destination or control city. If three destinations are displayed, the middle line should be used to indicate communities of general interest along the route or important route junctions.
So this is very strange. The first item regarding to the top sign (next place on the route having a post office or a railroad station) is extremely specific followed by other items that basically say you can do whatever you want. Also, I've seen route numbers on distance signs, but was under the impression this was non-standard. Also, though there is an implication that there must be at least two destinations, and that they must be in order, it does not actually say any of that. The bottom name and the top name could be the same, i.e. one destination. The "geographical entity" could be further away than the "next major destination".

kphoger

Quote from: bzakharin on August 16, 2016, 03:53:54 PM
Also, though there is an implication that there must be at least two destinations...

I don't read that implication into the text, and there are a zillion counterexamples in the field.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadfro

Quote from: kphoger on August 16, 2016, 03:59:34 PM
Also, though there is an implication that there must be at least two destinations...

I don't read that implication into the text, and there are a zillion counterexamples in the field.

I only quoted the part of the section relevant to my reply. The standard statement that begins section 2D.41 states that no more than three destinations/junctions/etc. be listed.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on July 25, 2016, 01:02:03 PMAs of Monday morning, the sign has been fixed.  http://www.universalhub.com/2016/state-changes-sign-times

I guess no one has yet caught the error on the other side of I-93.  Near the now-fixed sign, but on the northbound side, is a new and as-of-now not working travel time sign, which says, among other things:  I-95 - 7 MI.

One mile up the road is a portable VMS acting as a temporary travel time sign:  I-95 WOBURN - 8 MILES.

Since the portable sign is one mile *closer* to I-95, one of these is wrong.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

freebrickproductions

It appears that Missouri got a bit confused as to which interstate this's supposed to be, resulting in a mile-marker with an I-40 shield on I-44:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5493807,-92.8060805,3a,15y,249.97h,84.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTT35sc-dsIZqB6aaE4PgsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 19, 2016, 01:53:03 PM
It appears that Missouri got a bit confused as to which interstate this's supposed to be, resulting in a mile-marker with an I-40 shield on I-44:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5493807,-92.8060805,3a,15y,249.97h,84.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTT35sc-dsIZqB6aaE4PgsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reminds me of the I-60 shield we had on I-64 a couple years ago...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kphoger

Quote from: roadfro on August 18, 2016, 04:13:08 AM
Quote from: kphoger on August 16, 2016, 03:59:34 PM

I only quoted the part of the section relevant to my reply. The standard statement that begins section 2D.41 states that no more than three destinations/junctions/etc. be listed.

I still don't read that implication into the text.  I think an obvious point that can go unstated in the MUTCD is that there are places where no more than one destination can be reached by a particular route (i.e., it terminates at the next town, highway junction, etc).  In light of that, Guidance 04 merely advises what order to put the distances in if there's more than one, and also how to handle a third if there are more than two.

I also note that all of this is "should" language, not "shall" language, meaning that violating the guidance is not actually erroneous.
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

^ I should have clarified in my reply that there's nothing in the MUTCD that implies two destinations must be listed. The only standard is that there be no more than three destinations listed.

bzakharin

Quote from: roadfro on August 20, 2016, 04:08:50 PM
^ I should have clarified in my reply that there's nothing in the MUTCD that implies two destinations must be listed. The only standard is that there be no more than three destinations listed.
I should say "seems to be an implication" because plural is used throughout, and things like "top" and "bottom" are used. You don't usually do that when there's only one destination unless it's one of those trick question brainteasers. The more interesting thing for me is the unnecessarily specific list of examples given when none of these is prescribed or even suggested once you read the whole thing.

DevalDragon

I wonder if there is a mile marker on I-40 with a I-44 shield?

(maybe they got swapped)

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 19, 2016, 01:53:03 PM

okroads

Just noticed this sign goof that I took a picture of in December near Peru, IN. Business U.S. 31 is signed with a Business IN 31 shield instead. It looks like how Texas signs a business state route:

DSC00007 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

peterj920

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.