News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Quote from: kurumi on May 03, 2013, 12:24:14 AM
Change the I-84 to NY 84 and you'd have a trifecta of wrongness. Has there existed a sign that has the state, US and Interstate marker wrong?
Add county and township to that, and you've got one heck of a problem!
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Kacie Jane

http://goo.gl/maps/QV0oF

This isn't nearly as cool as the US 99 shield downtown, so I have no qualms about showing off my analness and posting this once-correct sign here.  The road in question hasn't been SR 900 for 21 years.

NE2

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 03, 2013, 06:32:52 PM
I have no qualms about showing off my analness
The word is anality.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

Quote from: NE2 on May 03, 2013, 09:19:13 PM
The word is anality.
NE2 also has no qualms about showing off his anality.

Brandon

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 03, 2013, 10:07:00 PM
Quote from: NE2 on May 03, 2013, 09:19:13 PM
The word is anality.
NE2 also has no qualms about showing off his anality.

Or any alanality.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Darkchylde

...I didn't know US 350 went to Kansas City!

Found along I-470 Eastbound today. It's supposed to lead to MO 350.

djsinco

Mama Mia, thats'a spicy detour!
3 million miles and counting

roadman65

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Florence,+Florence+Township,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.101956,-74.786281&spn=0.003709,0.010267&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.70927,21.027832&oq=florence,+nj&t=h&hnear=Florence,+Florence+Township,+Burlington,+New+Jersey&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.101956,-74.786281&panoid=IUUf0yJAM8Lh612wiQ9Wlw&cbp=12,190.24,,0,-22.5

This is on the US 130 ramp to the NJ Turnpike Pearl Harbor Extension in Florence, NJ.  Even though the extension is E-W, the Turnpike is not and the sign for the left should read both Turnpike North and South and the sign on the right should be Pennsylvania Turnpike West or just plain Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on May 11, 2013, 05:42:30 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Florence,+Florence+Township,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.101956,-74.786281&spn=0.003709,0.010267&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.70927,21.027832&oq=florence,+nj&t=h&hnear=Florence,+Florence+Township,+Burlington,+New+Jersey&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.101956,-74.786281&panoid=IUUf0yJAM8Lh612wiQ9Wlw&cbp=12,190.24,,0,-22.5

This is on the US 130 ramp to the NJ Turnpike Pearl Harbor Extension in Florence, NJ.  Even though the extension is E-W, the Turnpike is not and the sign for the left should read both Turnpike North and South and the sign on the right should be Pennsylvania Turnpike West or just plain Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Won't that have to get re-signed as I-95 North (for the "East" direction) and I-95 South (for "West") in the relatively near future?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadsguy

Since there are no other exits on the PA Spur, it should just be signed "PA Turnpike" for westbound and "New Jersey Turnpike" for eastbound, of course with blank spots for I-95 shields (and maybe TO I-276 ones too for westbound).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on May 11, 2013, 05:42:30 PM

Given the fact that the extension is indeed part of the NJ Turnpike system itself; the E-W cardinals likely reflect such.  It's considered a branch-off/spur not unlike the Exit 14-14A-14B-14C Newark-Bayonne spur (I-78 East of the mainline NJTP/I-95) further north.

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 12, 2013, 04:12:03 PM
Since there are no other exits on the PA Spur, it should just be signed "PA Turnpike" for westbound and "New Jersey Turnpike" for eastbound, of course with blank spots for I-95 shields (and maybe TO I-276 ones too for westbound).
Agree 100%.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

I noticed as well that the sign states "Del. Mem. Bridge".  Are the signs on this ramp the only ones in the state that actually spell out "Bridge" rather than "Br." when the rest of name is abbrevated?

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 13, 2013, 08:44:32 AM
I noticed as well that the sign states "Del. Mem. Bridge".  Are the signs on this ramp the only ones in the state that actually spell out "Bridge" rather than "Br." when the rest of name is abbrevated?
I never noticed that when I was looking at it, but I was intrigued that it was mentioned at all considering that "Camden" was always used at the Exit 6 Interchange proper for the SB Turnpike mainline.

Interesting though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on May 13, 2013, 08:52:15 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 13, 2013, 08:44:32 AM
I never noticed that when I was looking at it, but I was intrigued that it was mentioned at all considering that "Camden" was always used at the Exit 6 Interchange proper for the SB Turnpike mainline.

Interesting though.
Guess on my part but the likely reason for not including Camden on that particular interchange BGS is due to US 130 also heads towards Camden as well.  Let's be honest, unless there's a serious traffic issue/road closure w/either US 130 or nearby I-295; nobody from the Bordentown/Florence area (where the interchange is located) is going to use the NJ Turnpike to head towards Camden.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

okroads

A couple of new sign errors near Henryetta, OK:

DSC02183 by okroads, on Flickr

DSC02257 by okroads, on Flickr

hbelkins

Just as you cross into Ohio from Indiana on US 50, you're greeted with this:

IMG_2791 by hbelkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

And it's the fugly variant too...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

That's just Ohio with bed head.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

However, it is a fairly accurate Ohio outline, unlike the typical Ohio state route shield which makes the northeast corner of the state as far south a Toledo.  The only problem is, this is US-50.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vtk

Quote from: Brandon on May 16, 2013, 04:40:28 PM
However, it is a fairly accurate Ohio outline, unlike the typical Ohio state route shield which makes the northeast corner of the state as far south a Toledo. 

No, not quite.  In the "standard"* outline, Toledo is about an inch south of Conneaut.  Plus, in this "bedhead" outline, the Ohio River looks like some cheap cartoonish lineart, with cusps in strange places, and then it melts seamlessly into the Pennsylvania border, which continues to curve all the way up to Lake Erie.  And in the northwest part of the state, it looks as if Michigan won the Toledo War.  I'll concede that the overall shape of the Ohio River is slightly better represented in the "bedhead" version, but that's not a good thing; it leaves less room for a number that way.

*It's debatable as to whether there is a "standard" shape for Ohio state route markers.  Of course there's the Sign Design Manual, which offers third-generation or worse Xerox copies of drawings against a grid, with no dimensions at all, but otherwise thorough, with separate drawings for 2- vs 3-digit and independent mount vs guide sign uses.  On the other hand, there's the Ohio MUTCD, which says somewhere "The correct design of an Ohio state route marker can be found on page XX"; turning to that page, there's a fairly small example of a 2-digit route marker that looks like it was drawn quickly without even trying to capture the details present in the SDM drawings or most existing signs.

hbelkins

Quote from: vtk on May 17, 2013, 02:33:42 PMit looks as if Michigan won the Toledo War.

Some would argue that Michigan DID win that war!  :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on May 17, 2013, 03:55:31 PM
Quote from: vtk on May 17, 2013, 02:33:42 PMit looks as if Michigan won the Toledo War.

Some would argue that Michigan DID win that war!  :-D :-D :-D

We lost Toledo and gained the Upper Peninsula.  The sole loser, I guess, was Wisconsin, and that depends upon how much of a prize you consider Toledo.

jwolfer

I just saw a construction sign at the exit from I-95 south to US 90 EAST just south of downtown Jacksonville.  Had a blue US 90 shield.. but it looked more like a Quebec Autoroute sign than a US highway sign

At least it was a colored correctly, I will try and get a pic sometime but real unsafe to stop... no shoulder due to construction

vtk

I have a relatively old digital camera that's been pretty good for roadgeek photos. Set it in "shutter priority" mode, set shutter speed to 1/500 (then aperture is chosen automatically), set focus at infinity, and I can snap clear photos of signs while whizzing by at freeway speed.  I'm not sure if this is a typical feature of contemporary point-and-shoot cameras...

okroads

The exit tabs are switched here (Exit 151B is I-35 South, Exit 151C is I-235 North). Pic taken by me on 5-11-13:

DSC02179 by okroads, on Flickr

What's even more baffling is that these exit tabs were correct back in December (pic taken by me on 12-13-12):

DSC04943 by okroads, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.