News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

We went out to one of the wineries in Virginia on Saturday and on the way home Ms1995hoo suggested we go up to Harpers Ferry since neither of us had been there in many years (this proved to be a mistake due to horrendous traffic). En route I noted the sign seen below on US-340 in West Virginia between Charles Town and Harpers Ferry; the sign is about a mile west of the turn for the national historic park and there's another similar sign visible up that hill in the distance. It's erroneous because the road is not a "freeway" at all except insofar as the road's memorial name is Something-or-Other Freeway. Note the at-grade intersection up ahead. The road has a bunch of traffic lights in the Charles Town area, but the businesses are all on frontage roads so I guess the term "expressway" would be appropriate. I suppose, though, that this is an example how in this part of the country the word "expressway" is usually understood to mean the type of road the MUTCD calls a "freeway."

After the "freeway" ends, it narrows down to a two-lane road to descend to the bridge over the Shenandoah River and continues as a two-lane road through a tiny piece of Virginia.

(Picture is from AARoads.com. I was driving my wife's car and so didn't want to mess with a camera because she doesn't like it when I do that.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CentralCAroadgeek

So going around town yesterday and I stumbled upon this sign error on the US-101 onramp from Laurel Road here in Salinas. I don't have a picture of it, so I'll just describe it using two other pictures of mine.

It is basically this sign:

Where this old gem once stood:

Yes, I typed that correctly, a CA-1 directional sign on a US-101 onramp. Fail.

agentsteel53

does the freeway entrance gantry still have a US-101 shield?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 17, 2013, 02:17:39 PM
does the freeway entrance gantry still have a US-101 shield?

Yes. Yes it does.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Thing 342

This one has been wrong for at least ten years (It should say VA 171). First it was a circular secondary shield, but a few years ago, a car ran into it and they replaced it with this:

vtk

At least they followed the 70-spec US route design correctly.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on June 17, 2013, 02:11:41 PM
So going around town yesterday and I stumbled upon this sign error on the US-101 onramp from Laurel Road here in Salinas. I don't have a picture of it, so I'll just describe it using two other pictures of mine.

The county must have been lazy.   Do you think it's a recycled sign?  Perhaps an accident caused the sign to need a quick replace, and the county or CalTrans didn't pay attention? 
Take the road less traveled.

elsmere241

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 17, 2013, 09:42:06 AM
We went out to one of the wineries in Virginia on Saturday and on the way home Ms1995hoo suggested we go up to Harpers Ferry since neither of us had been there in many years (this proved to be a mistake due to horrendous traffic). En route I noted the sign seen below on US-340 in West Virginia between Charles Town and Harpers Ferry; the sign is about a mile west of the turn for the national historic park and there's another similar sign visible up that hill in the distance. It's erroneous because the road is not a "freeway" at all except insofar as the road's memorial name is Something-or-Other Freeway. Note the at-grade intersection up ahead. The road has a bunch of traffic lights in the Charles Town area, but the businesses are all on frontage roads so I guess the term "expressway" would be appropriate. I suppose, though, that this is an example how in this part of the country the word "expressway" is usually understood to mean the type of road the MUTCD calls a "freeway."

After the "freeway" ends, it narrows down to a two-lane road to descend to the bridge over the Shenandoah River and continues as a two-lane road through a tiny piece of Virginia.

(Picture is from AARoads.com. I was driving my wife's car and so didn't want to mess with a camera because she doesn't like it when I do that.)

Going south on US 340 in that area I remember seeing several signs like that: "Freeway Ends 1 Mile" and a mile later there would be a light; right away, "Freeway Ends 2 Miles" and then there would be a light after two miles, etc.

formulanone

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 17, 2013, 09:50:09 PM
This one has been wrong for at least ten years (It should say VA 171). First it was a circular secondary shield, but a few years ago, a car ran into it and they replaced it...

Downgraded, then upgraded, cosmic balance has been achieved.

It had better be a good sign in this iteration, or it will be humbled to Frontage road status. :)

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: KEK Inc. on June 18, 2013, 08:50:38 AM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on June 17, 2013, 02:11:41 PM

The county must have been lazy.   Do you think it's a recycled sign?  Perhaps an accident caused the sign to need a quick replace, and the county or CalTrans didn't pay attention? 

I am not entirely sure how the old sign disappeared. That thing's been gone for months and it was only recently (just this Sunday) that I was surprised to see the erroneous sign.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sp_redelectric

At least there is a sign.  At the western end of the "freeway" of U.S. 26 between North Plains and Banks, there is an exit for Dersham Road, then the road splits for Oregon 6 and U.S. 26 (both of which continue west as two-lane, undivided highways).  Just before the split is an at-grade intersection for Mountaindale Road.  At no point is there an "Freeway Ends" sign

On Oregon 217, there is a "Freeway Ends" sign northbound at the U.S. 26 split, even though two of the four routes (the two main routes, mind you) both are freeway-to-freeway ramps from 217 to U.S. 26.  But at the southbound end, where the mainline goes to a traffic light for the I-5 southbound off-ramp, there is no "Freeway Ends" sign - the light is even located behind an overpass structure and is difficult to see, especially at 55 MPH to come to a complete stop.

sp_redelectric

One of my favorite "error" signs...

The sign is located on S.W. Barbur Boulevard/Oregon 99W...but it's well over a mile outside of Tigard city limits, and definitely more than a mile from Tigard city center.

NE2

Quote from: sp_redelectric on June 25, 2013, 04:00:25 PM
One of my favorite "error" signs...

The sign is located on S.W. Barbur Boulevard/Oregon 99W...but it's well over a mile outside of Tigard city limits, and definitely more than a mile from Tigard city center.
1.4 miles to the entering Tigard sign just past 65th.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

US Route 120? I guess if NY 120A and CT 120A are nearby...make something up.

Hangard.

roadfro

Awful fonts on those first two, as well as horrible Interstate shields... "Worst of" candidates...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadfro on July 01, 2013, 11:00:37 PM
Awful fonts on those first two, as well as horrible Interstate shields... "Worst of" candidates...
The fonts aren't so bad; it's just that the letters are needlessly squeezed together.

I agree that the I-684 shields on the first two pics are horrid IMHO; the on on the 3rd pic. isn't too bad.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: formulanone on July 01, 2013, 10:01:30 PM

How do Interstate shields get mutilated so bad...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ET21

Quote from: Zeffy on July 02, 2013, 01:37:36 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 01, 2013, 10:01:30 PM

How do Interstate shields get mutilated so bad...

'Honey, I shrunk the Interstate shield'
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Molandfreak

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92333578@N06/9197424410/

U.S. 87 in South Dakota. Taken on SD 87 at the south junction with U.S. 385.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

Also, note the horrible arrows and "Hangard", whatever that is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SidS1045

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 03, 2013, 05:03:33 AM
Also, note the horrible arrows and "Hangard", whatever that is.

Go back to the first sign in that series, and you'll see what they did.  It was supposed to be "Hangar D."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Zeffy

I blame Clearview for this. While you're making the sign just seeing the font makes one lose their mind, and suddenly they forget how to spell.

Source: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/Oops_Road_sign_gaffe_is_a_laugher.html
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

the use of Clearview isn't nearly as bad as what appears to be an extra-bloated '70 spec shield.  WTF?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.