News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pj3970

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2013, 06:22:10 PM
Quote from: djsinco on September 05, 2013, 03:42:02 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 04, 2013, 03:09:58 AM
Quote from: djsinco on September 04, 2013, 02:27:38 AM
US 160 does a pretty good job of avoiding much of anything noteworthy.

It does serve the third-largest city in Missouri, y'know...
Having been to Springfield many times, I stand by my statement.

Having lived there . . .

Agreed...having lived there for years

hbelkins

Quote from: pj3970 on September 05, 2013, 06:39:51 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2013, 06:22:10 PM
Quote from: djsinco on September 05, 2013, 03:42:02 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 04, 2013, 03:09:58 AM
Quote from: djsinco on September 04, 2013, 02:27:38 AM
US 160 does a pretty good job of avoiding much of anything noteworthy.

It does serve the third-largest city in Missouri, y'know...
Having been to Springfield many times, I stand by my statement.

Having lived there . . .

Agreed...having lived there for years

When my vehicle was taking its ride on the back of a wrecker up US 65 and US 60 to the repair shop back in July, I was talking to the tow truck driver and he was commenting on how bad traffic gets in Springfield, especially on the James River Freeway (US 60). I expressed surprise that Springfield was big enough to have that kind of traffic issues. I think it qualifies as major.

And I didn't see any erroneous signs when I was in the area either.  :-P

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Springfield's problem is that all of the freeways are on the outer edges. If you are coming from, say, the MSU campus at National and Grand and are headed for the main retail area around Primrose and Glenstone, you have little choice but to slog through traffic-light infested arterials; any route involving a freeway is going to be impractical. One way of avoiding traffic is to use the minor collectors that parallel the arterials, like Jefferson and Fremont, though I'm sure there are people who would rather you didn't do that.

I don't remember James River Freeway being that bad; the only traffic snarl I got caught up in there was due to a train crossing on the unbelievably stupid at-grade rail crossing there, which is fortunately gone now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

James River has never been too bad (below 45 mph, say) when I've been on it, and that's probably something like twenty times.  However, traffic has also never been light on it, either, so I imagine it can get snarly at rush hour.  It was also pretty interesting on Black Friday when I was in town that day several years ago.....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

A couple:

Well, it was US 341 once-upon-a-time. Not since the Barnesville eastern bypass was opened, however. Also, wrong size shield. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordsutch/9639470759/

At the terminal ramp of the Fall Line Freeway near Milledgeville, aka unsigned/speculated GA 540, aka not-GA 243 (GA 243 still follows the direct route to Milledgeville and the mileposts on not-GA 243 reset at zero): http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordsutch/9405631932/ US 29 ain't here.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 12, 2013, 02:57:27 AM
What was even intended here?
They probably weren't supposed to put any sign there. Just behind is an intersection with a road being built that will have bike lanes.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

spooky

Quote from: NE2 on September 10, 2013, 09:12:29 AM

Hey you! Out of the bike lane!

Only thing I could come up with is that they were telling bikes to only use the right lane.

1995hoo

It looks newly (re-)paved. Maybe someone messed up the striping and omitted a bike lane?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 12, 2013, 03:14:29 PM
It looks newly (re-)paved. Maybe someone messed up the striping and omitted a bike lane?
It's only repaved in the immediate area of the intersection behind. In the background of the photo you can see where the new pavement ends.

Brandon

Quote from: spooky on September 12, 2013, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 10, 2013, 09:12:29 AM

Hey you! Out of the bike lane!

Only thing I could come up with is that they were telling bikes to only use the right lane.

Then it should be reversed: {Bicycle symbol} USE RIGHT LANE ONLY.  What is used is for a designated bicycle lane, not what is striped above.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

DSS5

In Boone, NC

Good place to get a field sobriety test, I guess.

agentsteel53

that is far too regular, and far too short a wavelength, to be a drunk driver.  I'd say the paint applicator half-dislodged from the truck, and started swinging back and forth.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DSS5

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 12, 2013, 09:05:39 PM
that is far too regular, and far too short a wavelength, to be a drunk driver.  I'd say the paint applicator half-dislodged from the truck, and started swinging back and forth.

It does start at that little dip there. But I was making a joke about along the straight line in a field sobriety test.

NE2

Central Avenue

Quote from: DSS5 on September 12, 2013, 08:58:54 PM
In Boone, NC

Good place to get a field sobriety test, I guess.

More like erroneous road sines, amirite
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

NE2

vtk

Single solid yellow line is error, aside from wavyness.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

formulanone

DSS5

Quote from: vtk on September 12, 2013, 11:29:49 PM

Quote from: vtk on September 12, 2013, 11:29:49 PM

They're pretty common around here, but usually it's for narrow mountain roads. There's also this street where they painted a pedestrian pathway rather than paying to build a sidewalk.

I'm not sure why it's happening on the road in the image, however.

NE2

Quote from: DSS5 on September 13, 2013, 07:53:43 AM
There's also this street where they painted a pedestrian pathway rather than paying to build a sidewalk.
Cape Coral has something similar.

agentsteel53

Quote from: DSS5 on September 13, 2013, 07:53:43 AMThere's also this street where they painted a pedestrian pathway rather than paying to build a sidewalk.

seriously?  vehicle parking to the right of the pedestrian lane?

what's the advantage of that?

jake@aaroads.com

DSS5

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 13, 2013, 09:22:58 AM
Quote from: DSS5 on September 13, 2013, 07:53:43 AMThere's also this street where they painted a pedestrian pathway rather than paying to build a sidewalk.

seriously?  vehicle parking to the right of the pedestrian lane?

what's the advantage of that?

The parking has always been there. The pedestrian lane was only added a couple years ago.

Quote from: NE2 on September 13, 2013, 08:33:12 AM
Quote from: DSS5 on September 13, 2013, 07:53:43 AM
There's also this street where they painted a pedestrian pathway rather than paying to build a sidewalk.
Cape Coral has something similar.

That leaves very little space for vehicles.

agentsteel53

yes, but why not stripe the new pedestrian lane to the right, and thus implicitly move the parking in by a few feet.

honestly, the road utilization is gonna be the same.  so I'd rather have careless drivers hitting parked cars than pedestrians.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.