News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: hirothehero on August 16, 2021, 06:46:34 PM
(Boston, MA-Longwood area) A rare appearance of the default circle state shield. FYI, MassDOT uses square shields on state routes, including this one.
GSV and photo are from July 2019. The shield was removed sometime between then and the following GSV snapshot in November 2020.

NJ shields in MA aren't that rare, especially on MA 9.  There probably are still a couple in the Amherst-Hadley-Northampton area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

J3ebrules

That's a long sign for something so incorrect. I was debating whether this photo goes under US/State Shield Mixups, but it's not a shield and looks like a fairly new sign.

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

SkyPesos

"NJ state highway route" ... that's a mouthful of redundancy there.

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 21, 2021, 02:46:50 PM

It's a cheap Carl Rogers imitation.

Hey, if they can have US Federal Routes, then why not NJ State Highway Routes?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Well, there are no federal routes, right?  Therefore, the road is in fact {N.J. State Highway} {Route 130}.   :awesomeface:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Clearly they were trying oh so hard to convince everyone else that they were right!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

What, it's you mean it's not N.J. State Highway Trunk Road Route 130?

All those words, and yet they still abbreviate NJ...At that point just admit that you're going for the Guinness record for longest street blade and own it.

Also, been a while since I saw chocolate Series B.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/KncsaUXQUXytGjYc8

There is a sign informing motorists that NJ 23 goes to the same left that is prohibited by law.

Why not just have a NJ 23 shield without arrows like we have in Florida?

Ditto here at same intersection.
https://goo.gl/maps/32h85J47HzCR5SiP9
Just post the shield with no directions being here no turns either way are permitted.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Because you can turn onto NJ 23 south there, it's just that to do it, you have to use a jughandle.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on August 24, 2021, 04:35:03 PM

There is a sign informing motorists that NJ 23 goes to the same left that is prohibited by law.

Just post the shield with no directions being here no turns either way are permitted.

That signage is pretty standard throughout the state.  Nothing wrong with it, because it's only indicating which way a route goes - it's not telling you to make the turn.  Routes are also signed at off ramps and one-way streets where there's no possibility of entering the roadway.

mrsman

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 24, 2021, 03:10:10 PM

All those words, and yet they still abbreviate NJ...At that point just admit that you're going for the Guinness record for longest street blade and own it.

I think it should also be pointed out that this highway is actually U.S. 130, not NJ-130.

So while it is a NJ State Highway in the sense that NJ maintains it, just like it maintains other US highways within its borders, most would not call it NJ-130 since it is a US route.

Google maps names this street as Burlington Pike.  I wonder whether "Burlington Pike" or "US 130" or "Route 130" or "Highway 130" is used by locals to refer to the street and which of the above is used for purposes of mailing addresses.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: roadman65 on August 24, 2021, 04:35:03 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 24, 2021, 04:37:41 PM
Because you can turn onto NJ 23 south there, it's just that to do it, you have to use a jughandle.

And at the jughandle up ahead, it lets you know that you should use it for left turns and U-turns . . . except I don't see how you could do a U-turn using it, at least not for Kiel/Kinnelon.  Are they talking about a U-turn from 23 north to 23 south?

Edit: I found this comment in the other thread raising the same issue immediately after I posted. :-D

odditude

Quote from: mrsman on August 25, 2021, 08:44:47 AM

I think it should also be pointed out that this highway is actually U.S. 130, not NJ-130.

So while it is a NJ State Highway in the sense that NJ maintains it, just like it maintains other US highways within its borders, most would not call it NJ-130 since it is a US route.

Google maps names this street as Burlington Pike.  I wonder whether "Burlington Pike" or "US 130" or "Route 130" or "Highway 130" is used by locals to refer to the street and which of the above is used for purposes of mailing addresses.

it's locally known as Route 130, at least as far back as the 80's.

roadman65

In NJ logs all US routes are also state designations.  That is why no duplicate route numbers like other states do.  So even though I-80 is signed and referred to as an interstate, in the minds of NJDOT, its NJ 80 or State Route 80.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on August 27, 2021, 12:17:54 AM

it's locally known as Route 130, at least as far back as the 80's.

I posted this one or one similar on a Facebook group page, and some guy gave me a lot of gruff about it because it was "correct".  He wasn't correct, but, whatever.    I think street blades like this get mixed up in translation, and someone in the office verbally says what they're used to saying, and it somehow gets translated to what you see here.  Yet, on other street blades:  "US 130". 

So there's no uniformity.  But there really should be.  Along with the general public motoring along, street blades serve as guidance for emergency responders and those in an emergency. 

J3ebrules

I actually live right off of US 130 (the photo is a bit north of me), and I and my neighbors and everyone at the dog park just calls it "130" .

But yeah, I know in this era that US highways are state-maintained... but it's still a US Highway, not an NJ one.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

SkyPesos

Could write the number out to make it even longer

"New Jersey United States State Highway Trunk Road Route One Thirty"  :bigass:

chrismarion100

Update WISDot have fix the distance to I-94 and I made a mistake so the distance to Chippewa Falls was right.
Quote from: chrismarion100 on August 10, 2021, 03:14:25 AM
A sign where both distances are not correct not to mention that the next exit is not even listed and the exit to Chippewa falls is 7 miles away from the sign and not 10 and I-94 is 26 miles away and not 31 miles away
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9192797,-91.2285751,3a,23.1y,264.69h,87.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s34KSXN6bEeTVUlxYQTqfvA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4

edit: I did some looking and notice that a few signs along this highway do not have the right distance to Chippewa Falls as it looks like they forgot to update the distance to exit the highway as 29 no long goes through downtown Chippewa Falls

chrismarion100

I have found some more signs that are wrong
A sign on that signed as mainline US 53, not Bus. 53 or Hastings Way (WisDOT might have forgot to replace the sign when the bypass opened base on the look of the sign)
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.792007,-91.4584599,3a,49.7y,331.02h,101.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_L4sX15f7QV3Hc5bNU1s5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e4

interstatefan990

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 21, 2021, 02:46:50 PM

It's almost like they're trying to brand it. Route 130...brought to you by NJ State Highway™.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

roadman65

This one on NJ Route 79 in Marlboro, NJ has the wrong arrow to the SB Garden State Parkway.
https://goo.gl/maps/6FBwpMqbX1pJb14u5
Should be to the right as NJ 18 south is the best way to get there. Going straight, will indeed get you there via NJ 79, CR 516, Clark Street, and Lloyd Road, but miles out of the way.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2021, 09:16:25 AM
This one on NJ Route 79 in Marlboro, NJ has the wrong arrow to the SB Garden State Parkway.
Should be to the right as NJ 18 south is the best way to get there. Going straight, will indeed get you there via NJ 79, CR 516, Clark Street, and Lloyd Road, but miles out of the way.

Posted route uses CR 520 which is only 3 miles longer but does take twice as long per the Goog...

roadman65

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 07, 2021, 02:43:22 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2021, 09:16:25 AM

Posted route uses CR 520 which is only 3 miles longer but does take twice as long per the Goog...

Think it was carbon copied from before NJ 18 was completed between NJ 34 and the Southbound Parkway.

I remember at the 520 exit on NJ 18 SB there was a Parkway shield that stood long after the freeway extended south of NJ 34 with connection to the Parkway South at the end directing all motorists to it via 520 east.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.