News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okroads

DSC02172
by okroads, on Flickr

Photo taken by me in Washington, PA on 7-12-14

Zeffy

^ Did they not notice the US 19 shield and say "Hmm, ours look different, maybe we did something wrong?"
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

formulanone

Greensburg, PA: "US 130" for PA 130...looks like this has been here for a while.

Hastings-on-Hudson, NY: Should be a US shield...saw a few of these along this route.

jakeroot

Not a sign, but a white center line. Throwback to the 50s, eh WSDOT? I took this a few days ago travelling from Yakima to Seattle over Snoqualmie Pass.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1 on July 31, 2014, 03:27:23 PM
(I also mentioned this sign in the "Massachusetts" thread)

I'm not sure if it's still here, but there is a VMS on I-93 southbound in Massachusetts, about 30 feet past the "Exit 42 ➚" sign. It has duplicated letters in the top row!

(probably not exact, but it's close)

NIGHHT
WORK
AHEAD

MILLLED
SURFACE

M'CYCCLE
USE
CAUTION

If it's still there, can anyone get a picture?

On this note, some portable VMSes have appeared on I-64 and I-295 in Henrico County, Virginia proudly proclaiming "ROD WORK AHEAD".
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Billy F 1988

Quote from: jake on August 08, 2014, 02:19:14 AM
Not a sign, but a white center line. Throwback to the 50s, eh WSDOT? I took this a few days ago travelling from Yakima to Seattle over Snoqualmie Pass.

What's your estimated guess of the length of those center lines?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

jakeroot

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 08, 2014, 05:15:04 PM
Quote from: jake on August 08, 2014, 02:19:14 AM

What's your estimated guess of the length of those center lines?

It lasted for about 1.5 miles.

TEG24601

They are in the process of rebuilding the Eastern Approach to Snoqualmie, so there may have been a contraflow in that area, and the line was just left over.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 08, 2014, 05:41:06 PM
They are in the process of rebuilding the Eastern Approach to Snoqualmie, so there may have been a contraflow in that area, and the line was just left over.

Not to mention that most contractors have their own standards for pavement markings. The biggest change I see in construction zones is the dotted lines at the merge points (for slip lanes) go all the way to the point where the lane ends (i.e. you have to cross a white dotted line in order to merge). Of course, WSDOT does not use this type of pavement marking but the contractors don't seem to care.

roadman65

This sign, with its EXIT ONLY covered is now erroneous as without a descriptor now the sign is basically saying nothing other than the Exit 205 is being for the two designations of FL 528 leading to Port Canveral and Orlando. It once served as an at exit (though 1000 feet before) guide displaying a lane drop and now should really be amended as a quarter mile or NEXT RIGHT type of sign.

Also the exit tab uses improper grammar as there are two exits and the A and B need to be hyphenated.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2014, 10:26:38 AM
This sign, with its EXIT ONLY covered is now erroneous as without a descriptor now the sign is basically saying nothing other than the Exit 205 is being for the two designations of FL 528 leading to Port Canveral and Orlando....

....which is not in any way erroneous, just incomplete.

I don't really think we should start posting every temporarily altered sign in this thread just because they haven't gotten around to fully updating it. (Even if you think it's lasted longer than it should, I don't really think they plan on leaving a blue tarp on the sign permanently.)

roadman65

Quote from: Kacie Jane on August 10, 2014, 03:29:17 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2014, 10:26:38 AM
This sign, with its EXIT ONLY covered is now erroneous as without a descriptor now the sign is basically saying nothing other than the Exit 205 is being for the two designations of FL 528 leading to Port Canveral and Orlando....

....which is not in any way erroneous, just incomplete.

I don't really think we should start posting every temporarily altered sign in this thread just because they haven't gotten around to fully updating it. (Even if you think it's lasted longer than it should, I don't really think they plan on leaving a blue tarp on the sign permanently.)
Actually not.  Wait till you see tomorrow's update on my flickr as I photographed the same assembly one week later.  The tarp is removed for sure by then, but not much else done to the sign.

As far as the exit numbers go, they did in error spell them out.  That cannot be argued as two exits are plural and the singular EXIT is being used for it.  Also the A and B need to be hyphened or split up as one user already pointed out in my update page.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: okroads on August 06, 2014, 11:44:42 AM

DSC02172
by okroads, on Flickr

Photo taken by me in Washington, PA on 7-12-14

That error has been around for 10+ years.  Was one of the first major road related pictures I took when I got my first ever digital camera.

The crazy thing about that is that there is a PennDOT shed right past the traffic light in the picture.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2014, 09:00:42 PMActually not.  Wait till you see tomorrow's update on my flickr as I photographed the same assembly one week later.  The tarp is removed for sure by then, but not much else done to the sign.

Actually yes.  After they take the tarp down without changing the sign*, then it's erroneous.  But the only thing erroneous (in the sense of providing motorists with incorrect information) on the sign is the "exit only", so when they're making a (really crappy) effort to "patch" that part, it's not erroneous.

Wait to post the unpatched sign and tell the story behind it, and you've got yourself a quality post for this thread.  Your original post... meh.

*I'd be more inclined the tarp was removed by gravity, wind, or aliens than someone going up there and purposely taking it down without correcting the sign.  But I guess since we're dealing with a DOT that thinks it's okay to patch signs with hardware store tarps, it's certainly possible.

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2014, 09:00:42 PMAs far as the exit numbers go, they did in error spell them out.  That cannot be argued as two exits are plural and the singular EXIT is being used for it.  Also the A and B need to be hyphened or split up as one user already pointed out in my update page.

I know there've been plenty of signs posted in this thread that merely have incorrect spelling (like the first post on this page), but "erroneous" to me implies that the actual information being conveyed is incorrect.  Neither the missing S nor the missing hyphen really does that, so I'd think that makes it a better candidate for the design errors thread, rather than calling it straight-up erroneous.

vtk

Just spotted last night, I think: I-270 NB at exit 37 guide sign (OH 317 / Hamilton Rd / Gahanna) has a US 317 shield.  I did a double-take on such a delayed reaction I'm not completely sure that's what I saw.  But an M1-H4-3 doesn't belong in central Ohio...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

6a

Quote from: vtk on August 11, 2014, 09:53:55 PM
But an M1-H4-3 doesn't belong in central Ohio...

Had to look that one up, haha.

Anyway, this has been brought to my attention, can anyone in Atlanta confirm this is still there?

Edit: also, dumb question but when did GA go away from the skinny font they used to have?

jakeroot

Quote from: 6a on August 13, 2014, 08:38:25 PM
But an M1-H4-3 doesn't belong in central Ohio...

Had to look that one up, haha.

Anyway, this has been brought to my attention, can anyone in Atlanta confirm this is still there?

Edit: also, dumb question but when did GA go away from the skinny font they used to have?

Not sure when that photo was taken, but the sign on Google Street View is present in every shot between 2007 and October 2013. That means either A) this photo is older than 7 years, or B) this photo is very recent. I'm tempted to say that this is a recent shot, given the use of Series E, but I'm not sure on the history of the FHWA fonts within the state of Georgia, so I couldn't be completely certain.

6a

Just spotted last night, I think: I-270 NB at exit 37 guide sign (OH 317 / Hamilton Rd / Gahanna) has a US 317 shield.  I did a double-take on such a delayed reaction I'm not completely sure that's what I saw.  But an M1-H4-3 doesn't belong in central Ohio...

Yep, drove past that this morning. It's weird because the two advance signs are correct but the one right at the exit is not. Too dark for a picture, though.

Eth

According to my local news station, that spelling error was fixed overnight last night.

Approximately 2008. Many of the old Series D signs are still in place (they're probably still a majority, even), but all new freeway signage since then has been of this variety.

machias

Quote from: Eth on August 14, 2014, 09:57:58 AM

According to my local news station, that spelling error was fixed overnight last night.

Approximately 2008. Many of the old Series D signs are still in place (they're probably still a majority, even), but all new freeway signage since then has been of this variety.

'Tis a pity, because I found the Series D signs to be much more legible than Series E(m) or Clearview and to me they were more aesthetically pleasing.  I still think Series E at Series E(m) spacing beats them all, but that's just me and not the intent of this thread.  I really liked what Ga. did up until 2008 though.

Zeffy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 14, 2014, 10:18:49 AM
'Tis a pity, because I found the Series D signs to be much more legible than Series E(m) or Clearview and to me they were more aesthetically pleasing.  I still think Series E at Series E(m) spacing beats them all, but that's just me and not the intent of this thread.  I really liked what Ga. did up until 2008 though.

Remember though, that GA uses 20"/15" UC/LC legend height instead of the standard 16"/12" UC/LC legend height. I'm not sure it's the font weight so much as the size that Georgia tends to use.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Jim

OK, so it's just an upside down construction sign, but this was on Massachusetts 2 eastbound at the hairpin turn above North Adams in April.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vtk

So what's the meaning of an orange traffic light?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

thenetwork

Quote from: vtk on August 23, 2014, 12:13:17 AM
So what's the meaning of an orange traffic light?

It usually means there is a temporary traffic signal in use in the construction zone.  Many times when both directions of traffic have to share a one-lane stretch of road, the traffic light alternates the flow direction instead of a flagging crew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.