The 11 most dangerous states for drivers

Started by cpzilliacus, January 22, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 22, 2014, 07:13:05 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on January 22, 2014, 06:51:07 PM
The problem there has to be lax enforcement and bad drivers.

not lax.  just based on outmoded ideas. 

I was once followed by the sheriff of Franklin County from one end of the county to the other on US-98, because I dared drive through at 4am with California plates.  so while I was doing 33 in a 35 on cruise control, I'll bet someone somewhere in his county was doing something actually reckless.

Franklin County at 4AM? Nope. You probably were the most exciting thing going on outside of city limits for the entire month.

KEK Inc.

Funny since Arizona and Florida have probably the best roads in the country as far as hardware, quality and maintenance.
Take the road less traveled.

Scott5114

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 23, 2014, 07:00:39 PM
Funny since Arizona and Florida have probably the best roads in the country as far as hardware, quality and maintenance.

Don't overlook Kansas and Tennessee.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brian556

QuoteDon't overlook Kansas and Tennessee

TN ? Seriously ?

Yes, their pavement quality is good, and the BGS signage ain't bad, but they have a lot of problems.
Their non-BGS signage is atrocious. Most of it is beaten, tattered, and torn. And that's if it's there at all.
They have the worst errors ever. Nowhere else (in the US) have I seen STOP signs left up at signalized intersections.

Their delineation is horrible.

Heck, I encountered a paved shoulder that had dropped about 10 inches due to a ongoing landslide, and they didn't even put cones or barrels around it.

It seems that the same maintenance standards that they apply to their property and personal health in TN they also apply to their roads. Esp signage-wise.

Due to mountainous terrain, TN has some of the most hazardous interstate conditions In the southeast (I-24 at Monteagle; and I-24 from Nickajack Lake to Chattanooga. They, however, could mitigate the risk some by installing better signage and delineating curvy interstate segments.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 23, 2014, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 23, 2014, 07:00:39 PM

Don't overlook Kansas and Tennessee.
What about Wyoming?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 23, 2014, 05:01:04 PMNo offense, but your statement about no rear shoulder belts ("three-point belts" is the technical name) in 1987 is incorrect. My father had a 1982 Honda Accord (he sold it to me in 1991) and it had three-point belts for both rear side seats (but only a lap belt for the center position).
Fair enough.  I will change my wording to the majority of cars did not feature rear 3-point seatbelts circa 1987.

Nonetheless, it wasn't until 1989 when every car manufacturer offered such on every car model; 2 years after PA first adopted its seatbelt law for front-seat occupants.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on January 24, 2014, 12:16:27 AM
Nowhere else (in the US) have I seen STOP signs left up at signalized intersections.

East St. Louis.

the STOP sign is knocked down; the signals are out.

and there are still no state-named shields.  WTF!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SidS1045

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2014, 10:14:11 AM
What does someone sitting in the back seat without a seat belt have to do with driving?

Quite a lot, in fact.  If the vehicle stops short, due to either hard braking or a collision, what happens to that unrestrained rear-seat passenger, especially if he/she is directly behind the driver?

The law of inertia is a bitch sometimes.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.