News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: amroad17 on September 28, 2020, 02:13:36 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 22, 2020, 07:43:16 AM
Thanks. The hotel is indeed at the Englewood exit. That's not the closest location to the cemetery, which is on Dixie Drive, but (a) we've stayed there before and know it's reliable and clean, (b) there are some nearby restaurants that we like, (c) some family friends live closer to there, and (d) it's convenient to the airport, although that no longer matters because the relative who was going to fly in is not coming due to the pandemic (I'll call him via FaceTime from the cemetery).

(Edited to add: In case I was unclear, I've been to Dayton before and my wife grew up there, so in my case the question of how to get from US-35 to Englewood will be motivated by (1) taking a new route to the extent possible and (2) whether my wife is sick of being in the car by then and being vocal about her desire to get out of the car. Hence why I speculated on I-675, as I haven't used that before.)
I did not know that you and your wife were familiar with Dayton.  I was under the assumption that the area was a place that you and her had visited very rarely.  Sorry about that. 

Anyway, if your wife isn't too sick about being in the car for that long, you should try to "clinch" I-675.  You will go back a bit northeast for 13 miles to I-70, then 15 miles to the Englewood interchange.  An extra 25-30 minutes.  Bring a snack to tie you both over!  :D

Thanks. It won't be a clinch of I-675 either way because I'm not going to drive south to the "bottom" of I-675 only to turn around and drive back the same way. That would provoke her bigtime and I can understand why. (Nipping off the southern part on the way home isn't an option because we'll be going a completely different way.) I might just use the northern part of I-675 because it looks like that only adds about eight miles versus the direct route into the city and up I-75. The route around the west side on OH-49 looks like it adds three miles versus the I-75 route but takes more time than I-675, presumably due to traffic lights. Guess we'll see how things look when we get there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Quote from: Buck87 on September 18, 2020, 08:24:41 AM
I drove Corridor H from Weston as far as Moorfield this week, which was the first time I'd seen the Weston to Scherr section.

It was foggy the morning I went from Elkins to Moorfield, so I didn't attempt any pics. When it comes to current US 219 going under any of the bridges now under construction, the only one I remember having bridge deck in place was the one immediately after you leave Corridor H at Kerens. Now there was a bridge under construction over 219 somewhere near Moore, but it was just a bridge abutment with no deck yet....and it as a towering SOB too, must have been over 100 foot tall and I could barely make out the top in the fog.

When I got to the Fred Long Centennial park scenic overlook on 219 between Parsons and Thomas it made me glad that I passed though this area before that section of Corridor H was completed, since otherwise I would have missed this spectacular view (to which this compressed pic won't do any justice):

I drove all of Corridor H westbound earlier today and I did not see any notable not-yet-opened overpasses in any stage of substantial completion except, as you note, where the divided highway resumes at Kerens. The construction near Moore was three extremely tall abutments, only one of them looking near completion. No bridge deck will be in place there any time soon.

We stopped at Fred Long Centennial Park and sat on a bench to eat lunch. Good stop, if a bit chilly (52° but with some pretty good wind that made it feel colder). Nice view there. I'll edit this to add a picture. Thanks for the recommendation.

Not much fall foliage to see yet, unfortunately. Some color near Thomas, but I'd estimate another week elsewhere.

Driving on Corridor H is always a treat. Nice road, nice scenery, no traffic. I think at one point we went 25 miles and only saw one other vehicle.

We took I-675 around the east side of Dayton due to traffic.

Edited to add photo:

Buck87

Thanks for the pic. Nice to see what that view looks like without the fog.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Buck87 on October 02, 2020, 03:40:44 PM
Thanks for the pic. Nice to see what that view looks like without the fog.

There are many fine views from ADHS Corridor H.  This may well be  a place where the view from the old road will be better than from Corridor H, when the segment between Parsons and Thomas/Davis finally gets built.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bluecountry

When did corridor H open from Davis to the east?

1995hoo

Quote from: bluecountry on October 14, 2020, 03:33:13 PM
When did corridor H open from Davis to the east?

Various times over the years as segments were completed. I believe the most recent portion, from near Davis east to the WV-93 access road down the mountain from the scenic overlook, opened in 2016. Everything east of there was open prior to then; my first trip on that road was in October 2012 on the way home from Dayton and we picked it up at Moorefield after cutting east from Elkins to Seneca Rocks and then north. It was open from there to Wardensville (same eastern endpoint as now), but I don't know how far west it went at the time. The following July we used Corridor H on the way home from Fallingwater and at that time it ended at the WV-93 access road mentioned above.

froggie

^ It was open at least as far west as CR 3 when you made your first trip...I took it that far several times while I was still in DC.  It was opened past Greenland Gap to the WV 93 connector north of Scherr in October 2012.  Up the hill from there to Bismark opened in late 2013.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on October 15, 2020, 12:43:09 AM
It was opened past Greenland Gap to the WV 93 connector north of Scherr in October 2012.  Up the hill from there to Bismark opened in late 2013.

The above is probably the most-spectacular part of Corridor H that is open to traffic now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bluecountry

^ It was open at least as far west as CR 3 when you made your first trip...I took it that far several times while I was still in DC.  It was opened past Greenland Gap to the WV 93 connector north of Scherr in October 2012.  Up the hill from there to Bismark opened in late 2013.
Until now it was always closed past Mt Storm, when did that change?

Bitmapped

Quote from: bluecountry on October 22, 2020, 04:47:21 PM

It has been open past Mount Storm since late 2016. https://wvmetronews.com/2017/09/17/240752/

bluecountry

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 22, 2020, 11:29:50 PM

It has been open past Mount Storm since late 2016. https://wvmetronews.com/2017/09/17/240752/
Gotcha, so when's the next segment opening?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bluecountry on October 23, 2020, 10:40:37 AM
Quote from: Bitmapped on October 22, 2020, 11:29:50 PM

Gotcha, so when's the next segment opening?

No need to ask those questions - if you can use Google, you can find the answers yourself.

But I will spare you the trouble - the WVDOT has a comprehensive site for ADHS Corridor H that you can find here.  That has the answers to such questions.

sprjus4

The page is from 2003...

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 23, 2020, 12:46:30 PM
The page is from 2003...

The copyright date is from 2003, but the construction updates link underneath the thumbnail map says "April 2019."

Thing 342

It's 18 months out-of-date and doesn't give a concrete answer to the question. This forum's tendency to give non-answers like "look it up" is a major annoyance.

sprjus4

^

Agreed, if you aren't actually giving to the conversation, then just don't post.

1995hoo

Based on what I saw when I drove the existing road between Thomas and Kerens earlier this month, I highly doubt there is any concrete (pun intended) opening date for the next segment. The insanely high overpass being constructed near Moore is nowhere remotely close to completion–the supporting piers aren't done, much less any bridge deck.

DeaconG

Quote from: Thing 342 on October 23, 2020, 02:25:07 PM
It's 18 months out-of-date and doesn't give a concrete answer to the question. This forum's tendency to give non-answers like "look it up" is a major annoyance.

http://www.wvcorridorh.com/route/map3.html
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

cl94

We're probably talking 2022 at the earliest for the next section. I was through the construction zone 2 weeks ago and there is quite a bit to build, including that massive bridge which is nowhere near complete.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: DeaconG on October 24, 2020, 09:41:30 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on October 23, 2020, 02:25:07 PM

http://www.wvcorridorh.com/route/map3.html

That's the website those two just complained is too "out-of-date and doesn't give a concrete answer."

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2020, 02:55:33 PM
Based on what I saw when I drove the existing road between Thomas and Kerens earlier this month, I highly doubt there is any concrete (pun intended) opening date for the next segment. The insanely high overpass being constructed near Moore is nowhere remotely close to completion–the supporting piers aren't done, much less any bridge deck.

I recall reading someplace that the contract that WVDOT has with Kokosing, the contractor on the project between Kerens and Moore, does not include paving the new Corridor H highway.  It does include the grading and drainage work, and construction of the bridges (including that very high one over current U.S. 219 and Haddix Run near Moore), but I think a different contractor will install the subgrade and pavement.

Bitmapped

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 25, 2020, 12:00:43 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 23, 2020, 02:55:33 PM

I recall reading someplace that the contract that WVDOT has with Kokosing, the contractor on the project between Kerens and Moore, does not include paving the new Corridor H highway.  It does include the grading and drainage work, and construction of the bridges (including that very high one over current U.S. 219 and Haddix Run near Moore), but I think a different contractor will install the subgrade and pavement.

Correct. Paving is being handled in a separate contract from grade/drain/bridges, as is common practice for WVDOH.

roadwaywiz95

Our next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series is scheduled to take place on Saturday (1/30) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile Corridor H of the Appalachian Development Highway System (US Route 48) and discuss the history, current events, and features of this highway all while enjoying a real-time video trip along the length of the highway between Weston, WV and Strasburg, VA.

A link to the event location can be found below and we look forward to seeing you in attendance:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

The Ghostbuster

Not that this was ever proposed, but I think all of VA 55 should have been part of US 48, even though most of VA 55 east of Interstate 81 is paralleled by Interstate 66, and never would have been four-laned anyway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.