News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New US Driving Record

Started by dclarkson62@outlook.com, November 15, 2023, 01:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dclarkson62@outlook.com

On Sunday 5 November 68-year-old Lord Clarkson and co-driver, Australian Carl Wallace, became the first people to drive in 20 US states in 24 hours (without air travel) covering 1,609 miles (2,588kms) in a rental Hyundai Santa Fe from Kittery (Maine) in the North-East United States through New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois to finish over the Cairo Ohio Bridge in Kentucky, arriving with 26 minutes to spare.
Their achievement broke the previous record of driving through 19 US states in a 24-hour period, without air travel, set in 2003 by the late & great Barry Stiefel, behind the wheel of a rental Mercury Grand Marquis. Sadly, Barry passed away in 2007.
To further prove they made the actual trips, Carl & Lord Clarkson used a Garmin 66 GPS log, a Garmin tandem dash cam and geo-tagged pictures & videos for the whole 1,600 mile trip as evidence of their feat.
The trip ended when the pair made it to the Cairo Ohio River Bridge the Illinois and Kentucky border, 23 hours and 34 minutes after the trip began.
Carl's driving expertise ensured a smooth trip, incurring a single traffic infringement. The only scares were swerving round a large deer at 2am in Connecticut and, within 4 miles of the finish, an apparent high speed pursuit by three police cars, which turned out to be a false alarm.
The celebrations and presentations were a soberly quiet affair with a fewer than expected media presence. Television crews were not encouraged!
The only colour were the bright yellow commemorative T-shirts, which are still available whilst stocks last.
Carl was a late stand-in for racing driver Aaron Telitz, who was called-up at the eleventh hour for Aston Martin testing at Daytona Raceway.
This record will now be submitted, supported by comprehensive Garmin geo-tagged continuous Geotech photos in each state and a 2-way video of the whole journey to the Elite Records authority and The Guinness Book of Worl Records for verification.
This new record differs from the well-documented record of Aaron Frantz and Eric Hausman, who visited 23 US states in 23 hours and eight minutes in 2018, taking 3 flights.

Please contact:

(Lord) David Clarkson
(+61)405 970399

Rothman

Do you smell it? That smell. A kind of smelly smell. The smelly smell that smells smelly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Rothman on November 15, 2023, 06:46:30 AM
Do you smell it? That smell. A kind of smelly smell. The smelly smell that smells smelly.
Love the smell of bot in the morning.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Lord?  The last "Lord" around here was a car horn enthusiast.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2023, 07:51:38 AM
Lord?  The last "Lord" around here was a car horn enthusiast.
I gotta admit, I've been honking my horn a lot whenever I play GTA V, mostly in return whenever the NPCs honk. I guess it's better for those lines of code to get honked at than to get the average GTA treatment.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SectorZ

Did you guys stop for any point or did you do what the crazy astronaut did when she wanted to confront her boyfriend's wife and had to drive a thousand miles to do so?

wanderer2575

The Dark Side of the Force is strong with this one.

GaryV

Why does it matter what kind of car was used, or that it was a rental? (Looks like a product placement was missed by not naming the rental company/ies)

1995hoo

"I never thought this would happen to me, but ..."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on November 15, 2023, 08:57:13 AM
Why does it matter what kind of car was used, or that it was a rental? (Looks like a product placement was missed by not naming the rental company/ies)

Doesn't matter that it was a rental, but it would be more impressive if the feat were done with the guys jammed into a Smart Fortwo rather than stretched out in a land yacht.

Max Rockatansky

I can't be the only one who has pondered about the peeing logistics?  I'm assuming a bottle or two would be involved.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2023, 11:02:02 AM
I can't be the only one who has pondered about the peeing logistics?  I'm assuming a bottle or two would be involved.

Snapple is your friend (assuming you can get the lid secured).

In fairness...if you can moderate your liquid intake, then it may be possible to time stops such that one person refuels the car while the other person runs in for a quick loo visit.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 15, 2023, 01:17:18 PM

They certainly do have a generous bottle cap width. 

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2023, 11:06:25 AM
pooing would not be cool

But probably not wide enough to accommodate a bowel movement.  I would assume this would be like a race car where the driver just soils themself rather than get out of the car. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2023, 01:19:30 PM

pooing would not be cool

But probably not wide enough to accommodate a bowel movement.  I would assume this would be like a race car where the driver just soils themself rather than get out of the car.

Or do like I do when climbing mountains -- ingest enough coffee that all evacuation happens before beginning your endeavor.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: SectorZ on November 15, 2023, 08:55:02 AM
Did you guys stop for any point or did you do what the crazy astronaut did when she wanted to confront her boyfriend's wife and had to drive a thousand miles to do so?
My guess is that Lord Clarkson is no longer in the building.....this is a lord that is NOT omnipresent.  To quote evidence, they could only make 20 states in 24 hours. 

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 15, 2023, 01:33:49 PM

pooing would not be cool

Or do like I do when climbing mountains -- ingest enough coffee that all evacuation happens before beginning your endeavor.

Alternatively...after you go through a colonoscopy prep, it can take a bit before your bathroom habits return to normal.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 15, 2023, 01:52:42 PM

pooing would not be cool

Alternatively...after you go through a colonoscopy prep, it can take a bit before your bathroom habits return to normal.

Between a colonoscopy and a cappuccino, I'll stick with the latter.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 15, 2023, 01:58:27 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 15, 2023, 01:52:42 PM

pooing would not be cool

Between a colonoscopy and a cappuccino, I'll stick with the latter.

Still, the prep part including bowel inducing laxatives could in theory be used to give the driver a solid 48 hour plus window. 

This of course doesn't fully explain how someone would maintain a speed of 67 MPH for 24 hours.  Fuel stops would be a significant speed reduced even if the driver was speeding significantly.  It would also include a lot of luck not to hit a random unplanned for traffic jam.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

dlsterner

Quote from: dclarkson62@outlook.com on November 15, 2023, 01:09:03 AM
On Sunday 5 November 68-year-old Lord Clarkson and co-driver, Australian Carl Wallace ...

Sunday, 5 November ... Makes me wonder if Lord Clarkson used the same DST->Standard time change to cheese an extra hour for the trip?  (To be fair, Barry Steifel used the same exploit - although he called it "one day" rather than "24 hours").

And haven't we already met our quota of "Lord C" posters?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on November 15, 2023, 06:09:56 PM
Quote from: dclarkson62@outlook.com on November 15, 2023, 01:09:03 AM
On Sunday 5 November 68-year-old Lord Clarkson and co-driver, Australian Carl Wallace ...

Sunday, 5 November ... Makes me wonder if Lord Clarkson used the same DST->Standard time change to cheese an extra hour for the trip?  (To be fair, Barry Steifel used the same exploit - although he called it "one day" rather than "24 hours").

And haven't we already met our quota of "Lord C" posters?

The original "Lord C" is seemingly has his hands full these days:

https://fb.watch/ol2sFkn7pd/?mibextid=TOrFJN

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 15, 2023, 03:37:13 PM
Is this a legit post?
Post a photo of the post and we'll be able to better judge its legitimacy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 15, 2023, 03:37:13 PM
Is this a legit post?

Not likely with the OP but inquires into the peeing and pooing logistics in this "hypothetical run behind the wheel" are.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.